I just wanted to make this thread to give a shout-out to two games really worth trying (while we wait for Firaxis X-COM) out. If you liked the XCOM games (EU, TFTD, Apoc) they have elements in them that you may like even if the sum of all those elements is not as near as great as XCOM. Both games are as playable today as XCOM are.
First in the series, but I really can't recommend it.
Set in a post-apocalyptic setting you are the commander of a alien "laputa" (space-station) where some of mankind have taken refuge. Launching missions down to the earth to re-stablish contact with the fractions down there, and later to establish control over zones, bases and resources.
- It uses the pausable Real-Time tactical mode that was the big drawback of the entire series.
- Has one of the most interesting level, perk and equipment system of all UFO and XCOM games.
- Small map-pool but very varied.
- No type of interception-game-element.
http://www.ufo-aftershock.com/pages/download.html (Demo, don't know were this can be bought online)
Continues the game-over story of Aftershock where the humans are exiled to Mars. Here you get to manage a small terra-forming station and it's limited crew. As you explore the Martian globe for resources you end up in a conflict of space and resources similar to Aftershock.
- RP system of soldiers, scientists and technicians. Also dual classes of these.
- Skill system for both combat and research/manufacturing.
- One base management and expansion.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/7500/ (Can be bought for cheap 9,99€ on Steam)