Thread: A shout-out to UFO: Aftershock and Afterlight

A shout-out to UFO: Aftershock and Afterlight

I just wanted to make this thread to give a shout-out to two games really worth trying (while we wait for Firaxis X-COM) out. If you liked the XCOM games (EU, TFTD, Apoc) they have elements in them that you may like even if the sum of all those elements is not as near as great as XCOM. Both games are as playable today as XCOM are.

UFO: Aftermath
    First in the series, but I really can't recommend it.

UFO: Aftershock
    Set in a post-apocalyptic setting you are the commander of a alien "laputa" (space-station) where some of mankind have taken refuge. Launching missions down to the earth to re-stablish contact with the fractions down there, and later to establish control over zones, bases and resources.
    - It uses the pausable Real-Time tactical mode that was the big drawback of the entire series.
    - Has one of the most interesting level, perk and equipment system of all UFO and XCOM games.
    - Small map-pool but very varied.
    - No type of interception-game-element.

http://www.ufo-aftershock.com/pages/download.html (Demo, don't know were this can be bought online)

UFO: Afterlight
    Continues the game-over story of Aftershock where the humans are exiled to Mars. Here you get to manage a small terra-forming station and it's limited crew. As you explore the Martian globe for resources you end up in a conflict of space and resources similar to Aftershock.
    - RP system of soldiers, scientists and technicians. Also dual classes of these.
    - Skill system for both combat and research/manufacturing.
    - One base management and expansion.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7500/ (Can be bought for cheap 9,99 on Steam)

Quote Originally Posted by heniv View Post
    UFO: Aftershock
    Set in a post-apocalyptic setting you are the commander of a alien "laputa" (space-station) where some of mankind have taken refuge. Launching missions down to the earth to re-stablish contact with the fractions down there, and later to establish control over zones, bases and resources.
    - It uses the pausable Real-Time tactical mode that was the big drawback of the entire series.
    - Has one of the most interesting level, perk and equipment system of all UFO and XCOM games.
    - Small map-pool but very varied.
    - No type of interception-game-element.

http://www.ufo-aftershock.com/pages/download.html (Demo, don't know were this can be bought online)
    Aftershock can be found on gog.com, and you should definitely get it there instead of tracking down a retail copy, because the retail copy has Starforce DRM.

There's also some really good mods for Aftershock, like Tactical Mod.

UFO: Afterlight
    Continues the game-over story of Aftershock where the humans are exiled to Mars. Here you get to manage a small terra-forming station and it's limited crew. As you explore the Martian globe for resources you end up in a conflict of space and resources similar to Aftershock.
    - RP system of soldiers, scientists and technicians. Also dual classes of these.
    - Skill system for both combat and research/manufacturing.
    - One base management and expansion.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7500/ (Can be bought for cheap 9,99€ on Steam)
    Afterlight was pretty good, but it's pretty far removed from X-Com in terms of gameplay. Also, this one has some good mods like the Afterlight Total Rebalance mod. Biggest flaw is how precious your guys are. Losing even one is a huge blow.

I never could finish the second one.

SPOILER HERE

In the part where you go onto the enemy ship, my game crashes every time. I've tried a fresh install and new save games multiple times. Each time it's the same result. It's so far in that after the 3rd time of that happening I gave up trying to complete it.

I find that UFO aftershock crashes all the time (especially when using explosives) but when i turned down the graphic settings, i could usually get a little more time between crashes . I like it, the story's good, the combat is good, the strategic layer is good, i don't why you are dissing the quasi-real time nature of the game, pause and play mechanics have been in every good non-turn based, squad based rpg or strategy I have played. (And yes buy from gog.com (good old games), they have lots of neat stuff.)

I really enjoyed ufo afterlight, which I bought off steam years ago. I loved it, but for some bizarre reason it will no longer load on any computer i have tried it with. Disappointing. Buyer beware.

Actually Starforce DRM is no longer used on the retail copies

(ARMA publisher sells UFO: Afterlight, Aftershock & Aftermath) the developers of it are no longer maintaining it or continuing the series and its been turned over to one of the fans to maintain. The 1st patch after it going public was to remove the Starforce DRM.

I only played aftermath. I thought they had a lot of intelligent ideas,

However, I didn't like the way the game was balanced. The game's difficulty was so ridgid and extreme, it was obvious you absolutely needed SAR. You needed to SAR constantly. The game therefore felt like more of a puzzle game. Toward the end too the difficulty scales up so dramatically it feels like running into a steel wall. Enjoy SAR every half second

I play tons of UFO: Afterlight. It's different from the others in that it's on Mars instead of Earth. I totally recommend it to anyone!

I enjoyed Aftershock and Afterlight. Character control is pretty decent if you use hotkeys. A lot of geoscape type elements are similar. Training and specializing your troops adds another element. Most weapons can be modded by various things you research and that adds to the fun. There decent elements of randomization in content.

I don't often use mods for most games but there are a few for Afterlight that are worth checking out, like the one that makes the advisors shut up (they are a bit yappy). I'm not a fan of the total rebalance mod or the author. I generally trust the designers and devs of games moreso than a random armchair dev that wants to change everything...but that's just me.

You can find info for these games online but the devs are pretty much gone and last time I visited the only active forum for the game there wasn't much action.

Shadowarrior's rebalance mods are what improved and made the game enjoyable for me, especially with heroic assault to up the difficulty by making the earth actually infested with mutants.

It's like trying to play UFO: Extraterrestrials without Bman's mods, no point.

Personally I love Aftershock...actually the only game of the X-COM/UFO group I've played. Though at least I've gotten good at working with the small teams you get for Aftershock missions

I tried them and think they are OK, nothing more.

I've played and finished Aftermath and Aftershock a few years ago.
    Haven't played Afterlight much though.

I tried a couple of the AfterX games.

They were interesting and somewhat cool but I couldn't get past my personal bias. I hate Real Time Strategy games and even unlimited pause/go doesn't make them anymore palatable to me.

I've tried a demo of one of them, can't remember which - didn't like it. And another big problem with most of those games is they're not set on Earth - it's just not the same defending some outpost in space, or a Mars base.

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    I've tried a demo of one of them, can't remember which - didn't like it. And another big problem with most of those games is they're not set on Earth - it's just not the same defending some outpost in space, or a Mars base.
    That was probably Afterlight then, Aftermath and Aftershock both take place on Earth

Oddly enough, both have a lot of similarities to how enemy unknown is [based on whats been disclosed] - only 1 base with relay style other bases to extend coverage or farm resources, Afterlight was very cartoony in style, perk style training on top of X-Com's stat improvement -like Psi, Heavy Weapons, Mobility, etc. which would unlock options for like Psi actions, using Rocket Launchers, Movement increase[overpowered in those games due to no penalty], dumbed-down interceptor fights.

They didn't have any type of market to purchase/sell stuff though - had diplomacy in AfterShock and AfterLight [difference not similarity - which made getting equipment a royal pain and corpses worthless except that single research use], also the turns played more like Apocalypse than Ufo Defense or TFTD.

Played all 3, Aftermath was very basic... but the other two I own and they where both great.

Does anyone here have any idea if we will ever see a 4th after* game? After Afterlight (say that 3 times fast) I was really looking forward to see were Altar Games go next... well, IDEA Games now... wonder if they still have the IP?

I'd love a new XCOM/UFO game that is not on Earth. That's why I really liked Afterlight so much. And it was fun to see the effect of your terraforming on the mission maps too, even though the mission maps was limited in design.

I loved Aftershock for all the mods that were made. I create a mod with several new armors and added probably 25 new weapons to the game. My favorite was the AA-10 auto shotgun with explosive rounds. Coupled with the Heroic Assault mod that took the number of aliens from 7-10 per encounter up to 28-36 and let the fun begin.

I am really looking forward to the modding in this game too.