Thread: Can we Play Borderlands 1 without inserting the disk ?

Can we Play Borderlands 1 without inserting the disk ?

Hello,
    I bought borderlands retail long back but finally got the tim to play it.
    But there's 1 thing really bugging me that I have to insert the disc to play Borderlands 1 because of SecureROM ?
    Is there any legit way to play without disk ? Or activate game on steam maybe ?

If no then i think i have to use a crack or something even thought i bought orignal.
    And I am not buying Borderlands 2 also if it has the same secure rom thing.
    (Don't take it in a negetive way i am against piracy but i can't have disk inserted to play the
    game as i don't have CD/DVD drive on my gamming pc. I just attached 1 from old pc to install couple of things including Borderlands.)

The retail version of Borderlands requires the disc in the machine to play. This is unlikely to change. The Steam version does not require the disc. You should be able to redeem your retail cd-key on Steam as it is given in this list. Also, if you don't have any of the DLC for Borderlands you could consider buying the "Game of the Year" version ($29.99 for game + all four DLC) of it on Steam. That would get you disc-less play and a whole lot more content. Borderlands 2 will very likely be exactly the same. So, when that comes out you should buy it using the Steam service and then you will not need a disc.

Your mileage may vary however when it comes to redeeming your cd-key. I saw Bioshock was on that list as well so I put in my retail cd-key. It would not work for myself. If you can't redeem your Borderlands then there is still the GOTY if you don't have the DLC. The four DLC are $29.99 by themselves so it's not a bad deal if you have to go that route.