Thread: xcom:enemy unknown on Steam

xcom:enemy unknown on Steam

Hello,
    I have some question about xcom:enemy unknown and steam,
    Is xcom:enemy unknown going to be released on steam?
    Is there any idea about a date when it is available for pre-order and if I'm going to be able to buy the special edition?
    Many thanks!

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...rmation-Thread!

In short yes it will be on steam. No we don't have a date for when it'll be released on Steam unless you mean when you can play it on Steam and then I think it depends on the country you live in. Yes you can pre-order the special edition, I pre-ordered mine from Amazon.

I just hope steam is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashk View Post
    I just hope steam is optional.
    Me too. One of my friends wont even buy the game if it has ANY DRM on it (especially Steam) even though he's really excited about it. Some companies really are just boning themselves with this whole DRM thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_BLT View Post
    Me too. One of my friends wont even buy the game if it has ANY DRM on it (especially Steam) even though he's really excited about it. Some companies really are just boning themselves with this whole DRM thing.
    True. I have nothing against steam per se.... But Steam has caused me much frustration at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashk View Post
    True. I have nothing against steam per se.... But Steam has caused me much frustration at times.
    Same here. I just know some people who hate it and all other forms of DRM and it's unfortunate that it keeps them from enjoying a bunch of games.

If you've had problems with Steam, please feel free to send me a PM. I'd be more then happy to try to help you.

I was pretty skeptical of Steam for a long time myself, until I started actually using it. Since using it, Steam is now my prefered way of purchasing games. Games purchased via Steam can usually be purchased less expensively than other methods (about 3 weeks ago, I purchased Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas and all the associated DLC, and a few other games for a mere $50 - less than the price of Skyrim alone at that time).

Further, digital acquisition of games had the advantage of never losing CD-Keys, never losing or breaking CD's, and not having to wait for delivery of items you might not be able to purchase locally. Even overnight shipping won't get you a game as fast as you can download one via Steam on a cable connection (some larger games, about 14GB, took me 8-12 hours to download at 2MB/s - done overnight, I had the game before someone else could have shipped it with next day delivery).

I've run into a few problems here and there with Steam, but they were usually quite easy to fix, and I think only one game I've downloaded has ever had to fully reinstall (had to redownload the entire game). I have over 100 games in my Steam library, so a full install 1% of the time isn't a bad failure rate IMO.

If you've never used Steam, I'd encourage you to give it a download, or at least check out the Steam store on the web. Steam has deals on games every day, additional deals during the week, and additional sales on the weekends. Not to mention, you won't have to worry about lost CD's or CD-Keys for any of the games you buy from them!

Then there are people like me who understand a game companies desire for some form of DRM and out of all the possibilities I have seen I much prefer Steam. I actually have started to do the majority of my pc game shopping on Steam over the last year or so. Gotta love those sales! I also understand people who don't like being forced into something like Steam against their will. I don't like having to download new programs sign up for new services just to play a new game. Most recently I bought a game for the pc, then was forced to make an xbox online account just to play it. Frustrates me to no end to have DRM like that but what can you do? Not buy and miss out on principle or just go along and grumble quietly because in the end you know it isn't going to change anytime soon and likely will get a lot worse someday.

can one of the mods create and sticky a thread called

"IT IS COMING TO STEAM, JUST NOT YET"

?

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious_BLT View Post
    Tell him that it's likely gonna have DRM, and that steam is the option that sucks the least. And fortunately, seems the most likely.
    Last edited by Jeep-Eep; 08-03-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Nothing against Steam, I just prefer Firaxis to get 100% of the game price, not just 70%.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallid View Post
    Nothing against Steam, I just prefer Firaxis to get 100% of the game price, not just 70%.
    Firaxis released Civilization 5 as a Steam exclusive (that is, even boxed copies required you to register and run your copy using Steam), I'm sure they don't mind the small amount of lost revenue.

Steam isn't for everyone though, and it's fine to those who don't want to use it - or purchase this game through it - for whatever reason! I just wouldn't want to discourage people who haven't used or tried Steam before. I hadn't used it for many years while being encouraged by friends to try it.

Ultimately, I did try it, and very rarely purchase games outside of Steam since. My experience might not be the same for everyone, but I'd encourage those with little or no Steam experience to give it a whirl, or at least keep an eye on their online store, you might find a game you've wanted on sale for 50, or 75% off!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep-Eep View Post
    Tell him that it's likely gonna have DRM, and that steam is the option that suck the least. And fortunately, seems the most likely.
    Well I'm not gonna tell him anything until I know for sure. Then again he could always get the Xbox version .

Yeah it's not like Microsoft has ever tried to force copy protections on us

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Yeah it's not like Microsoft has ever tried to force copy protections on us
    It has yet to happen on the 360, at least, from all the games I've played.

I saw on this on the facebook page. it is under "Pre-order XCOM: Enemy Unknown and receive the Elite Soldier Pack DLC as a free bonus. Lock in your copy and the bonus right now" the posted on july 17 under the comments.

XCOM-Same deal will be on Steam for a limited time. We typically launch pre-sales 3-6 weeks out, depending on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Almainyny View Post
    It has yet to happen on the 360, at least, from all the games I've played.
    haha you that's probably because you have to have a windows live account to play on the xbox to begin with!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    haha you that's probably because you have to have a windows live account to play on the xbox to begin with!!!
    I was actually forced to make an xbox live account to play a recently purchased game for pc. It goes to windows live and makes you go to the xbox section to register games now.

And I was actually hoping for Steam achievements as they did with Civ 5.

Hating Steam is so 2005, it's 3-4 years that it's good now. Didn't have any problem since 2009. GFWL is a whole another story.

steam is ok, they did have a TFTD that works on my win7 box, as long as i can play in off line mode im fine with it

Quote Originally Posted by RealTiberius View Post
    I was actually forced to make an xbox live account to play a recently purchased game for pc. It goes to windows live and makes you go to the xbox section to register games now.
    Wow that would be a total game breaker... Console port, Microsoft and MS Live all in one hit that would achieve all 3 of my DO NOT TOUCH THIS GAME warnings! LOL

What game was that for

Why does that sound sorta illegal? Like making you sign-up for some BS to get cable?

personally i have had nothing but problems with steam. every time i attempt to play a game that runs through steam i end up spending 3 to 5 hours getting it to actually run, on top of what ever the download time was. the only game ive had to use steam for that has worked easily so far was civ 5, and that was because i had the cd to download it off of. as a result i pretty much avoid steam like the plague, and i really really hope that xcom doesn't require you to run the game through steam.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzD View Post
    Wow that would be a total game breaker... Console port, Microsoft and MS Live all in one hit that would achieve all 3 of my DO NOT TOUCH THIS GAME warnings! LOL

What game was that for
    Universe at War-Earth Assault. I never had a Windows Live ID at all until I bought that game. It made me make a Windows Live ID to load the game, then made me register the game with my CD key in the Xbox section to play it. I was pretty peeved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dont_mess_Xcom_Up View Post
    Why does that sound sorta illegal? Like making you sign-up for some BS to get cable?
    Microsoft would never do anything unscrupulous like that... Still laughing

Universe at War-Earth Assault. I never had a Windows Live ID at all until I bought that game. It made me make a Windows Live ID to load the game, then made me register the game with my CD key in the Xbox section to play it. I was pretty peeved.
    That is so very wrong (Win Live that is not what you are saying). So there was not option not to register? So very lucky for me I don't like games that MS make. That would've pissed me right off. Woulda been a back to store and wait for xcom

Quote Originally Posted by Pallid View Post
    How would they get 100%?

"In 2006 the profit from a console game sold at retail was divided among parties of distribution chain as follows: developer (13%), publisher (32%), retail (32%), manufacturer (5%), console royalty (18%).[32] In 2008 a developer would retain around 17% of retail price and around 85% if sold online"

70% > 17%

full-steam-ahead.gif

Reference
    Page 26 or Creating Games: Mechanics, Content, and Technology(ISBN 978-1-56881-305-9).

http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/20/gam...ndiegames.html
    Last edited by abram730; 08-31-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Indeed. Store-bought copies equal supporting PUBLISHERS not DEVELOPERS. Brick and mortar game sales needs to get gone, and soon, so that we can lessen the stranglehold publishers are having on the market right now.

Quote Originally Posted by abram730 View Post
    How would they get 100%?

"In 2006 the profit from a console game sold at retail was divided among parties of distribution chain as follows: developer (13%), publisher (32%), retail (32%), manufacturer (5%), console royalty (18%).[32] In 2008 a developer would retain around 17% of retail price and around 85% if sold online"

70% > 17%
    Thanks for this, I've been meaning to looks these numbers up for a while now. Mind if I ask where you got them.

These facts make EA and Origin seem even more borked. I mean, if they get 17% of the Amazon sale of Sim City ( so 17% of 37.50) or 100% of Origin (100% of 65). Why the frak are they making me buy retail?
    Last edited by Bobbydylan; 08-31-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling

I agree with, ironically, ialsoagree.

Digital distribution with online DRM is the wave of the future. Any of you that doubt that are living in the past. Now, Steam has also refined the digital distribution process so much that it leaves other companies (like Origin, or EA's screw-up) in the stone age. I've bought games from both companies. Steam is a much easier and more flowing process. Now, I have had my problems with Steam games, sure. But that's the dev's fault, not Steam. I've had problems with games bought before 1995. Again, the dev's fault. Or more to the point, my fault.

My point being, it's gonna have some form of DRM. It was estimated that 80% of one particular game (I can't recall which one) were hacked. That's 4 in 5. Some money > 20% > 17% as some other poster pointed out.

EDIT : Now I'm in no way trying to get into the console wars here, but... This is why consoles are killing us as PC gamers. Sure, console games can be hacked. It is much harder to do so, though.

PC gaming has greater revenue then consoles.. Now it is a more fragmented market, but it is bigger if you count it all.

There are some countries where pirates are 80%, but it isn't that big in the USA. MMORPG and F2P is however doing very well in countries with high piracy rates.. China's gaming revenue has shot up to 6 billion in a few years and Russia is up to 1 billion.

It's about 1:4 higher on PC in the USA and many people crack games they own or Buy a game they pirated. You don't really know it they were lost sales... You do know that a used game is a lost sale because they payed money for it. Half of Gamestops profits come from used game sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbydylan View Post
    Thanks for this, I've been meaning to looks these numbers up for a while now. Mind if I ask where you got them.

These facts make EA and Origin seem even more borked. I mean, if they get 17% of the Amazon sale of Sim City ( so 17% of 37.50) or 100% of Origin (100% of 65). Why the frak are they making me buy retail?
    references
    Page 26 of Creating Games: Mechanics, Content, and Technology(ISBN 978-1-56881-305-9)

Forbes: Indie Game Developers Rise Up