Thread: A tool to help you remove SecuROM...

A tool to help you remove SecuROM...

Hi everybody,

If you have already played through and uninstalled the game, here is a little help to remove SecuROM... that nasty little rootkit.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=203200

Hope it helps,

Hogg

Great game / horrible protection

Note that this does not work on Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggles View Post
    Hi everybody,

If you have already played through and uninstalled the game, here is a little help to remove SecuROM... that nasty little rootkit.
    well my labyrinth dwelling friend, im still yet to see where its a rootkit ive only been shown speculation... also HOW MANY games use securom? i have AT LEAST 5 securom protected games installed atm

Hi Lurchibald,

I'm not sure what labyrinth dwelling friend means... but thanks, sounds cool

Here is all the info you should need to end your "speculation" on the matter.

[URL="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspx"][/http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspxURL]

It will explain to you what a rootkit is and then feel free to install rootkit revealer, you will see SecuROM is a rootkit by definition and implementation.

Peace,

Hogg

Sorry not sure what happened with that link above, here ya go...

[URL="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspx"]

Peace

Hi Lurchibald,

[URL="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspx"][/http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspxURL]

It will explain to you what a rootkit is and then feel free to install rootkit revealer, you will see SecuROM is a rootkit by definition and implementation.

Peace,

Hogg
    Hoggles, if you knew what a rootkot really was then you would know that SecuROM is not a rootkit. That tool gives a false positive (in this case) and anyway it only looks for possible rootkit behaviour, it does not "detect" rootkits in the truest sence.

I would, however, like a SecuROM removal tool for Vista. At least I can bypass it was YASU (which does work on Vista, both x86 and x64).

We all already know it behaves like a rootkit but you won't call a duck a duck. You want it to be a sparrow.

Hi Lurchibald,

Peace,

Hogg
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091369/ look at the cast you'll see

also it may be a rootkit.... but it could just as easily be a false positive but hey not many people reply with a link of some sort so thanks

Hi iJacks,

I'm not sure how you think SecuROM is not a rootkit? SECUROM adds to the registry what is commonly called a NULL Registry Key, this means it will bypass all OS protection and you cannot delete it in any way, not in SAFE MODE, not by giving Permission. nothing will work. That duck sure tastes like duck to me

iJacks you can give it what ever name you want, but SecuROM does everything that by definition a rootkit does.

Peace,

Hogg

HAHAHA nice Lurchibald,

Thats an awesome reference, great movie that I forgot I was in!!!!

Peace,

Hogg

Hi iJacks,

I'm not sure how you think SecuROM is not a rootkit? SECUROM adds to the registry what is commonly called a NULL Registry Key, this means it will bypass all OS protection and you cannot delete it in any way, not in SAFE MODE, not by giving Permission. nothing will work. That duck sure tastes like duck to me

iJacks you can give it what ever name you want, but SecuROM does everything that by definition a rootkit does.

Peace,

Hogg
    Well, if you really knew anything, you could remove that supposedly non-deleteable registry key. Of course, you'd then also know that installing a NULL registry key does not make SecuROM a rootkit, by definition or in any other way.

This issue has already been argued ad infinitum...those of you that are whiner infants will continue to whine, while those of you with any brains/sense will move on.

Play nice guys.
    We're all friends here, right?

Quote Originally Posted by reholli View Post

This issue has already been argued ad infinitum...those of you that are whiner infants will continue to whine, while those of you with any brains/sense will move on.
    I agree.

It's a rootkit...

movin' on...

Well, if you really knew anything, you could remove that supposedly non-deleteable registry key. Of course, you'd then also know that installing a NULL registry key does not make SecuROM a rootkit, by definition or in any other way.

Hi Reholli,

Over the years I've always thought that forums are in place so people can have a free and open dialog about all sorts of issues. I'm sorry to see you attacking people personally on these forums, not sure how it serves any purpose? I do know that there are several ways to remove rootkits via the command prompt, regnull and with the help of the nice little utility in my first post.

I might not be able to convince you otherwise but just in case you have not seen the rootkit revealer Microsoft website that explains it definitions of a rootkit installed on their operating systems:

"What is a Rootkit:
    The term rootkit is used to describe the mechanisms and techniques whereby malware, including viruses, spyware, and trojans, attempt to hide their presence from spyware blockers, antivirus, and system management utilities. There are several rootkit classifications depending on whether the malware survives reboot and whether it executes in user mode or kernel mode. "

I would classify it as a persistent rootkit.

"Persistent Rootkits:
    A persistent rootkit is one associated with malware that activates each time the system boots. Because such malware contain code that must be executed automatically each system start or when a user logs in, they must store code in a persistent store, such as the Registry or file system, and configure a method by which the code executes without user intervention."

Reholli, I would be very interested to see the information that you have explaining how SecuROM is not a rootkit. There are a handful of online articles that say it's not, but they have yet to show me any proof that Microsoft and countless others, are wrong in their definition. SecuRom's official statement on this as well as 2k's is that it's not a rootkit. I have to take that with a grain of salt as many tech related people who don't work for either company... say otherwise. Keep in mind, to remove the version of SecuROM that Bioshock installs you have to do all the steps needed to remove a rootkit... strange

Have a great day,

Hogg

I think one of the key points there is that Microsoft states that a rootkit may execute in user mode. People who claim that SecuROM is not a rootkit point out that it runs in ring 3. Obviously, Sony and 2k use a different definition.