Thread: XCOM: TFTD Aliens disappointed me

XCOM: TFTD Aliens disappointed me

Hi, first I want to say that I hope that XCOM: EU becomes a great success for Firaxis and we get a sequel/expansion/dlc. And I think if they'll continue to develope the XCOM series we will get TFTD.
    But now I come to the point why I've created this thread.
    After a long time I've started playing TFTD again, because it was always my second choices after EU. (The last time I've played it I think I was around 8 - 9 years old and now at the age of 23 I want to complete this game before the new XCOM is relaesed)
    After playing it about 7 - 8 hours I was wondering what the aliens in TFTD looked like. Almost every alien was just a big creature that we already know, because it is living on earth already. I know that the autopsy from living and dead aliens explain that these creatures where manipulated by the aliens. But why are there so much of them? I mean in Enemy Unknown there was nothing you've seen before on earth (except the cliche of the sectoid) and when I see a new alien in TFTD I was like "wtf? a giant dinosaur with cannons? O_o" or "Oh a giant Jellyfish", "A giant 'fish-snail-with cannons'...okay.." and so on.
    I think that is because it wasn't the 'original' XCOM developers and producers.
    What do you think about the aliens in TFTD? In my opinion not everyone is bad or stupid designed, like the dinosaur with cannons , there are also cool aliens with a nice story, like the deep one.

At least I have to say that it's just another great game with some improvments compared to EU but not with the same feeling I had when I was playing the first part of the series, because of the aliens that where not fitting into the scenario for me. (but that's just my opinion ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bananenhase View Post
    Hi, first I want to say that I hope that XCOM: EU becomes a great success for Firaxis and we get a sequel/expansion/dlc. And I think if they'll continue to develope the XCOM series we will get TFTD.
    But now I come to the point why I've created this thread.
    After a long time I've started playing TFTD again, because it was always my second choices after EU. (The last time I've played it I think I was around 8 - 9 years old and now at the age of 23 I want to complete this game before the new XCOM is relaesed)
    After playing it about 7 - 8 hours I was wondering what the aliens in TFTD looked like. Almost every alien was just a big creature that we already know, because it is living on earth already. I know that the autopsy from living and dead aliens explain that these creatures where manipulated by the aliens. But why are there so much of them? I mean in Enemy Unknown there was nothing you've seen before on earth (except the cliche of the sectoid) and when I see a new alien in TFTD I was like "wtf? a giant dinosaur with cannons? O_o" or "Oh a giant Jellyfish", "A giant 'fish-snail-with cannons'...okay.." and so on.
    I think that is because it wasn't the 'original' XCOM developers and producers.
    What do you think about the aliens in TFTD? In my opinion not everyone is bad or stupid designed, like the dinosaur with cannons , there are also cool aliens with a nice story, like the deep one.

At least I have to say that it's just another great game with some improvments compared to EU but not with the same feeling I had when I was playing the first part of the series, because of the aliens that where not fitting into the scenario for me. (but that's just my opinion ).
    Yeah, I thought a few too many of them were just blatant copies of aliens from the original game, but with different names/looks. I'm hoping for a very wide range of aliens in the forthcoming game!

I loved the first XCOM. In fact I'm playing it again now (just bought it off of STEAM for $5). I remember playing TFTD just after it came out. I'll be honest ... I didn't like it. It seemed like all they did was take XCOM UD and make everything harder ... a lot harder. The environment was different and that was ok. New aliens were ok. Fighting on a cruise ship was actually pretty cool. But everything was just a lot harder. Maps bigger, battles longer and dead soldiers everywhere. I'll be honest I don't recall if I ever finished the game.

At least I see there are plenty of difficulty levels to chose in the new game. Can't wait to play it.

I finished it again a while back - in a most amusing way: I PSI controlled an alien and basically marched it at gunpoint, forcing it to destroy the final 'boss' for me.

I thought most of the aliens in both the original XCOM and TFTD were pretty characterful. Sure there were similarities in some, but it didn't bother me much.

But...although I hope there's expansions and sequels to this game, I really don't want them just to do updates of what's come before. I loved the original TFTD, but I don't see why Firaxis should be locked into the same progression the original series was. I'd much rather see something different.

It seemed like all they did was take XCOM UD and make everything harder ... a lot harder
    That was the reason I had never make it through the game when I was younger
    But I think that's because the team that developed XCOM EU went straight to develop Apocalypse after EU was released and leaved TFTD to another team.

But there are two more things that annoying me while playing TFTD. First is this stupid path-finding mechanism. Every time you're on a higher floor and there is a chance to fall off to a lower level your soldiers are taking that opportunity and fall through the only hole that is on their way. Or you want them to go out of the elevator just to take a look into the other elevator right next to it. And because your soldiers aren't stupid they take the only logical way: go down in the elevator they are standing in walking into the other elevator and go up again and having 0 TU left.
    Second thing are the terror missions upon ships. I like the idea of missions split into two parts but why are there about 5000 rooms with just a bed and a shower(?). And then you need to go into every single room because in every god damn room could be an alien. The last mission took me over 50 rounds, just to find the last alien hiding behind a door not moving for the whole mission. (maybe a bug)

it didnt bother me at all.It fit the the story. I just disliked that I had to go clear a sub crash ,not like in the first one where I could shoot it down over the ocean. And those Lobster men were so annoying!

I played TFTD till I went nuts.
    Ok, it had some issues, but overall I enjoyed it much more than the original.

All aliens there made sense from a design perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Lewis View Post
    And those Lobster men were so annoying!
    Loved them. Sneaked up behind them, took a vibro blade and enjoyed the the sound they were making when they went down

It is not just the aliens, I thought TFTD in general was a big letdown. I was very excited about it, bought the game as soon as it came and started playing but I was disappointed after a few missions and never finished the game. I picket up again recently (after I heard about this game and xenonauts) and had the same exact reaction, played a couple of missions, kicked ass but that feeling of "this is just not that cool" came back and I have not gone back to it. I fell the biggest let down was the graphics and the performance. I think in a lot of ways, it looked far worst than the original and the fact that you kinda of started from scratch was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    Yeah, I thought a few too many of them were just blatant copies of aliens from the original game, but with different names/looks. I'm hoping for a very wide range of aliens in the forthcoming game!
    Uhm... TFTD IS a blatant copy of the original game Its basically EU with a new skin on it and some better lighting effects, that's about it.

With TFTD they managed to take an excellent concept and make it annoying drudge. You have to have the patience of glaciers, or tectonic plates, to finish that game - I never did and I'm a patient guy. I've had staring contests more riveting than the 2 level cargo liner/cruise ship missions where you inch across the entire (far too large) map checking every stupid nook and cranny for aliens. I'm all for more complex maps, but make them smaller in that case, which I think is exactly what they did with Enemy Unknown.

TFTD was riding on the coattails of XCOM:UFOD and I could just never come to enjoy the monstrosity they made of the series - soured me against the other sequels. I've tried to replay this multiple times over the years and, despite doing well, I can never bring myself to finish the game becuase it's such a bore.