Thread: Abortions in Xcom

Abortions in Xcom

Thank you for clicking.

Is it still possible to abort a mission mid-way through?

In EU, oftentimes I had to order my squad to flee the scene in order to escape from Ethereals (if encountered early in the game on a night mission).

On a strategic level, I also liked that I had the option to snatch up any bodies and salvage any equipment before retreating into the Skyranger. Pretty soon, I was able to use even my smallest base as a kind of collection center for new alien types and technology. Even though the specific mission officially ended in defeat, I ended up with new tech to research and new alien types to probe, all without a large amount of personnel and equipment.

I don't even know if it is possible, but i can see myself cutting a few missions short if things go south for my expensive SHIVs and high-ranking officers.

Oh, wait, this wasn't some Pro-Life/Pro-Choice propaganda. I did a double-take when I saw the title, and had to see.

As far as retreating from a mission with it unfinished, if you've watched the videos, you would have seen a green outline. My guess is you can get your units into that outline and retreat from there. Not 100% sure on it, but 90% as it would make sense.

The last Impossible Mode terror mission play in the PAX Livestreams had Greg abort the mission by running to the Skyranger, so yes the feature is still in. The extraction area is a blue square by the back of the Skyranger: if your troops aren't there when you abort, they're left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by SayuriUliana View Post
    The last Impossible Mode terror mission play in the PAX Livestreams had Greg abort the mission by running to the Skyranger, so yes the feature is still in. The extraction area is a blue square by the back of the Skyranger: if your troops aren't there when you abort, they're left behind.
    Great! I imagine I will be familiarizing myself with that blue square, especially on Impossible mode.

We can abort but can we take anything from the floor to the unit inventory ?
    This make me think I didn't see any unit inventory during a mission.

Is it blue? I guess it looks a little blue green to me.

Here's a screenshot of the abort prompt:

this made me laugh a bit. no inventory in-mission, suiting up is done pre-mission so when you extract you take what you have with you.

affitmative on blue, light blue...

Quote Originally Posted by jdwarfer View Post
    they talked about it in the 1houre gameplay vid they dide from their office.,.,you cant kill a alien and go loot their corps like in the old game.,.you can however stun the aliens and bring them back alive = you get their tech.

Wow... this thread is so not what I was thinking it was. Ha. I was thinking you were talking about the pro-life or pro-abortion consequences of aborting an artificial alien embryo from earth's women.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maxwell View Post
    Wow... this thread is so not what I was thinking it was. Ha. I was thinking you were talking about the pro-life or pro-abortion consequences of aborting an artificial alien embryo from earth's women.
    That would be one strange mini-game...

Hmmm... so no snatching up that stunned alien and legging it when the mission goes sour, or that expensive weapon your comrade was using until he ate plasma ?

No more oops it was dark, ah well pick up the flares on your way out boys and girls ?

No more passing the medikit ( throw medikit across dangerous areas to friendlies who need to heal a team mate) ? Done that a few times, agent with medipack is on the wrong side of a road, agent near wounded agent as Murphy dictates doesn have a medipack... one good throw resolves that issue, and the 'doc' doesnt have to risk enemy fire.

Quote Originally Posted by jdwarfer View Post
    There doesn't appear to be any inventory in the tactical missions as far as we have seen, and Jake and the guys have said that soldiers won't be able to pick up items from the map personally.
    If one thinks about it that is actually justifiable. If you win the mission you will instead have your tech/research/cleaner guys go in and decontaminate the whole area, and they will then collect weapons, aliens materials and corpses.
    You wouldn't risk have your best soldiers getting a nasty virus or somthing from tryin' to pick up and use those weird alien weapons would ya now?!?
    I agree that picking up the aliens own weapons and then using those against the aliens was always great fun. But with alien-tech and stuff like that one would think the aliens would make their own weapons safe from being used by us terran monkeys. (maybe just like District 9).

Cheers from Squaddie!

...and I thought this thread would be about chrysalids...