Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't worry, you still get Elite Soldier Pack guaranteed with Steam!

Don't worry, you still get Elite Soldier Pack guaranteed with Steam!

From http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/art...civilization-v

If you are a fan of Team Fortress 2 items and/or free video games, you’re in luck. The folks over at Steam are running a PRE-PURCHASE REWARDS PROGRAM, and it works like this: If enough people pre-order XCOM: Enemy Unknown , they will unlock 3 exclusive XCOM-themed items in Team Fortress 2. If even more people pre-order, they will unlock a free copy of Firaxis’s other big title, Civilization V (and yes, you can gift it to a friend if you already own it). These are both in addition to the Elite Soldier Pack which already unlocks when the game ships just for pre-ordering.

Update: I direct copied that block of text from the link, and they have since removed the bold sentence. This is troubling.

Update #2: From Greg later in this thread:
    Guys, we're at 10% to tier 1 after only an hour on sale. :P

I just got word from the team that I can personally guarantee that all Steam pre-orders will get the Elite Soldier Pack. If by some strange horrible anti-miracle we don't reach tier 1, we'll be sure to get the ESP to all of you anyway.
    Last edited by Possums; 09-06-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Good work, that will put out a few of the fires.

Faith = restored.

Pre=ordered and waiting

Follow the link and check it again - the bold bit is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    There was an error in the blog post when I posted it and I apologize. The Elite Soldier Pack is the first tiered unlock. However, that pre-order has only been up for something like 30 minutes and it's already at 4%, so I think you can rest assured that it will hit that. If you're worried you can wait until it gets there

Sorry again about the incorrect info in the post!
    Told you lol

This is typical publisher bull****. It really REALLY makes me hate AAA publishers. XCOM will be the last AAA game I buy, I swear. I'm going indie for life. Christ.

Already have Civ V and have no interest in TF stuff, don't play it, so it looks like I'm spending my bucks somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zunova View Post
    Follow the link and check it again - the bold bit is missing.
    Holy crap I direct copy/pasted that from the site at the time. They went back and changed it!

If you read the steam store page properly, the first reward is the ESP, the second reward is the TF2 stuff and the third reward is Civ 5.

I checked the steam store just before posting this, and it was already at 6%.

I don't know if I am to cry or laugh at the "OOPS we effed up and gave you what everyone else got for free. Mai bad. Fix'd" post up there.

All I know is I hope someone gets some copy of them saying that every Preorder gets the ESP... because if it can and we Don't get it, we can give them a Class action Lawsuit over False Advertising... and possibly make thousands.

Well the link in the post at the top of the page now says that the unlocks will do the TF2 stuff and Civ 5, but the steam page currently has the old details up, saying tier 1 is the ESP, Tier 2 the TF2 items and Tier 3 Civ 5

I just got word from the team that I can personally guarantee that all Steam pre-orders will get the Elite Soldier Pack. If by some strange horrible anti-miracle we don't reach tier 1, we'll be sure to get the ESP to all of you anyway.

You're the man, Greg, thanks!

You notice he posts this only AFTER Jasmine threatens with a class-action lawsuit lol

It's just strange, that's all. Everyone else is assured to get it, but Steam users need to fullfill a kickstartereqse goal post? It's a bit of a blunder marketing wise if you ask me, since the expectation was set for months that if you preordered, you got it.

Tier 1 should have probably been something other then content that was previously assured to be given to preorderers.

This is good news. But honestly, this has put a BIG, black mark on 2K's reputation. These things should simply never happen. You never break a promise and you never treat customers differently.

Go ahead and call me a bit of a 2K apologist, but on the digital pre-order page they have the following quote:
    Just like the physical versions, all digital pre-orders get you access to the ELITE SOLDIER PACK, a cosmetic-only add-on to the game that allows you to customize your soldiers’ armor, add helmets to their outfits, and best of all gives you access to the iconic flat-top haircut from the 1994 classic.
    Combine that with what was posted at the beginning of the thread, and it looks like Steam's representation of things is pretty lousy. There must have been some disconnect in which they thought the elite soldier pack would need to be earned? That would have made them by far the worst option for digital downloads unless you like gambling on everyone buying from Steam.

As far as the rewards 2 & 3 go, well, it's cool I guess. You almost knew there was going to be something related to TF2, but the free game? Wasn't expecting that. Not that I'm particularly interested in it (I haven't bought it to date, but I own Civ 3 & 4), but the concept was pretty cool. If the physical box didn't come with the art book and patch I probably would have gone with Steam. Then again I'm a sucker for physical swag.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonshineFox View Post
    This is good news. But honestly, this has put a BIG, black mark on 2K's reputation. These things should simply never happen. You never break a promise and you never treat customers differently.
    2k's had a black mark for me ever since they tried promoting the FPS XCOM lol....EU has done a lot to...mend that for me.

So if I pre order the physical copy I get art and a patch + ESP. But If i get a digital, I will only have ESP... ( I already own Civ 5 )

Am I correct ?

this is the post from the guy who says the pre-order bonus on steam will be AMAZING?...
    well AMAZING is what you are doing with the fans...
    Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Selvhan View Post
    So if I pre order the physical copy I get art and a patch + ESP. But If i get a digital, I will only have ESP... ( I already own Civ 5 )

Am I correct ?
    Correct; the physical special edition has some stuff in it that you can only get from the special edition. All of the digital versions are just the game (plus the Elite Soldier Pack).

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosAl View Post
    this is the post from the guy who says the pre-order bonus on steam will be AMAZING?...
    Amazing
    Hey relax buddy, it's gonna be alright buddy, alright?

Amazing
    Potential free game is pretty amazing.

With the assurance of 2kGreg, Pre-ordered thanks for handling this quickly and professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by mrt1212 View Post
    Potential free game is pretty amazing.
    I know, right? And not just some rubbish game either. I hope that the pre-orders get up to the 3rd reward for Steam buyers.

did they increase the requirements? I saw the percentage at 16% and checked 30 minutes later and it was at 13%.

Amazing
    Hey man, there's no accounting for taste.

For me, that flat-top haircut for Team Fortress 2 is amazing. I love it so much. I don't even play TF2 that often and I love it. I will actually play more TF2 just because of it! That is truly how much I like it ;P

Hey man, there's no accounting for taste.

For me, that flat-top haircut for Team Fortress 2 is amazing. I love it so much. I don't even play TF2 that often and I love it. I will actually play more TF2 just because of it! That is truly how much I like it ;P
    Good work Greg. Not up my alley but still good cross promo.

Chill out a bit, dude. Ever since the steam tier thing got brought to light, you've been upset/angry and acting like 2k set your lawn on fire. They didn't break a promise; it was a simple mistake. If anything, they backed up their word: Greg announced that even if it doesn't reach tier 1, everyone will still get it. He, and the XCOM team, said that everyone will get that, for pre-ordering and Greg confirmed it. Be happy that they owed up to their word.
    Last edited by RagtagLegacy; 09-07-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RagtagLegacy View Post

Chill out a bit, dude. Ever since the steam tier thing got brought to light, you've been starting upset/angry and acting like 2k set your lawn on fire. They didn't break a promise; it was a simple mistake. If anything, they backed up their word: Greg announced that even if it doesn't reach tier 1, everyone will still get it. He, and the XCOM team, said that everyone will get that, for pre-ordering and Greg confirmed it. Be happy that they owed up to their word.
    Can they set my lawn on fire I need to reseed. I lol'd on that one thanks ragtag

Quote Originally Posted by RagtagLegacy View Post

Chill out a bit, dude. Ever since the steam tier thing got brought to light, you've been starting upset/angry and acting like 2k set your lawn on fire. They didn't break a promise; it was a simple mistake. If anything, they backed up their word: Greg announced that even if it doesn't reach tier 1, everyone will still get it. He, and the XCOM team, said that everyone will get that, for pre-ordering and Greg confirmed it. Be happy that they owed up to their word.
    MoonshineFox apparently majored in melodrama.

Oh Valve, you crazy genius bastards!
    This is brilliant, it encourages people to talk about the preorder and get others to buy it as well, well played Valve!
    I know people are worried of not getting all the rewards, but we're 22% in just a couple of hours, so I'm betting we at least get tier 2.

This is ACTUALLY very great.

For one, buying off of Steam makes me save 10$ over the physical copy.
    And the possibility of having an extra copy of CivV that I could gift to my GF is AWESOME!
    Also, we get Elite soldier pack, which was mostly what interested me in the Special Edition.

Thanks 2K !

We're already up to 39% on tier 1! C'mon guys! I want that Civ 5

OMG - only about 35 time units to go. It's clear nobody will get any bonuses now.

Unless, of course, that time unit would be days.

I expect they deliberately set the goals low to give pre-orderers a better sense of achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl. Hicks View Post
    OMG - only about 35 time units to go. It's clear nobody will get any bonuses now.

Unless, of course, that time unit would be days.

I expect they deliberately set the goals low to give pre-orderers a better sense of achievement.

What "time units" ? What are you talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrt1212 View Post
    MoonshineFox apparently majored in melodrama.
    Dramaqueen Phd.

Regardless, I cancelled my preorder. I simply do not agree with them so. Meh. Publishers get away with too much bullcrap these days.

Dramaqueen Phd.

Regardless, I cancelled my preorder. I simply do not agree with them so. Meh. Publishers get away with too much bullcrap these days.
    yup they do.,.and looking arund the net for cheaper deal's can save you up to 50% (on only buying xcom you can even buy the SE and get that cheaper then the steam pre order ) you can buy both game in box copy's on the net for about 50 euro's .,., that i find very very desturbing tbh and i for one get chill's just thinking aboutthe poss. comming dlc's for xcom eu,.,.GIVE me ONE just ONE good reason to pre order it on stream (and i dont wana hear the words tf2 hat's).,., granted youd might have wait a bit longer for the game but still >> WTF << the 3rd stage bonus is well pretty much why you PAY 50 euro's on steam,.,.and only 31,50 euros on the net som places.

if buy that stream pre order you PAY full mony for civ5.,.,its hadly a bonus they give you for free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast