Thread: Cannot load steam. Says I need to connect to internet, even though I already am.

Wink Cannot load steam. Says I need to connect to internet, even though I already am.

When I insert my disk I am rerouted to steam. When I try and install stream it begins the install and then tells me I must be connected to the internet . . . here's the kicker . . . I am already connected to the internet. I have tried signing up for stream first and I will not register the captcha string when I type it in. Can anyone help? Or am I just too old to be able to istall a simple program/game?

Sounds like a Firewall is blocking Steam from accessing the Internet. Your Firewall may be set to a "whitelist" mode. Which would mean that only approved programs are allowed and any other, or unknown programs, are not.

The first step I would take would be to go into your Firewall and look for an "allowed programs" list. Add Steam to that. If you can't get Steam connected no matter what you do with your Firewall then disable it and try to launch Steam then. If Steam works without a Firewall then you know that that is blocking it.

If you don't have any Firewall on your computer, Windows comes with one so you likely do, another place to check for a Firewall is in your home router if you have one. Router's usually have Firewall functions too.