Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Lockdown - 2K response in first post

Exclamation Russian Lockdown - 2K response in first post

Why are you doing this?

Steam - "Notice: Purchases of Borderlands 2 made in Russia will be playable in Russian language only."
    1C - "Notice: Online play in «Borderlands 2» will be available only with owners of Russian version."

So the whole situation is just like with Duke Nukem Forever.

The humor in Borderlands is awesome, and I want to enjoy it, but with Russian language I will have only stupid localization with no emotions whatsoever. And I want to play with everyone around the world, and not be isolated on some "Russian Island".

Reading forums, I came to conclusion what CIS countries are getting the RU version as well. I saw Lithuanian, Estonian and Ukrainian players commenting on the same issue I am having. But unlike me they don't speak Russian.

Great job!

Mod Edit: 2K has stated that they are releasing both versions to those effected by the problem - they will have the 1C localization as well as the world wide editions

Quote Originally Posted by 2K David View Post
    Hi, guys. As promised, here's an update on the situation:

2K Games and 1C Company have updated the PC versions of Borderlands 2 that are purchased from both retail locations and via digital distribution in Russia, the Baltic states, and CIS territories. Consumers in these countries will now receive a bundle that contains both the 1C Russian language version of Borderlands 2, as well as the 2K Games worldwide (English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Japanese) version of the game. This gives consumers in these countries the widest range of options to both choose their preferred language and play with their friends across the world.

Though the 1C and 2K versions do not support cross-version play, consumers can install both versions and have the option to play each. Additionally, Borderlands 2 Season Pass and DLC content purchased in these territories will contain this bundled format content. We thank customers for their feedback as we continue to work to provide the best products we can offer worldwide.
    Last edited by Codex; 09-19-2012 at 10:53 PM.

I know that feel. Why you do that, 2K? Why not warned in advance?

I think its 1c fault. They make this for going good sells of retail copies in Russia.

I am from Ukraine and I'm as twice as angry as Russian customers are. This is ridiculous! I bought the game for twice the Russian retail price and only good thing is that I don't have 1C - "Notice: Online play in «Borderlands 2» will be available only with owners of Russian version." but can't even change the language I don't understand to English at least!
    How the f@#k you suppose that will help fight the piracy?! I bought game from steam for a bigger price hoping to play like any other guy from America or Europe and instead I receive giant "f you, you are Russian, we really hate you, love 2K"!
    It's not even saying about Estonians, they paid 50$ and have to stick with Russian?
    2K are you kidding me? I hope that's a joke!

I lol'd at the whole situation.
    Just to mention:
    If you bought the game along with season pass and they changed version of your game from world wide to russian restricted, you no longer own season pass, because it restricted to world wide version.

Similar thread on GearBox forums: Language issue

That really sucks, sorry to hear that guys.

Well, this is weird and even offending. I must pay same amount of money as rest of EU and play in russian, which is not an official language in Latvia (and other Baltic states) neither in EU and we are part of EU, just in case 2K have never heard about it. I am deeply shocked and I don't know if that is even legal to force us use russian as only language available. I will no be surprised if such practice is illegal and against EU and/or Latvian laws, in that case I really hope 2K will be sued for their ignorance and disrespectful attitude against people in Baltic states, you know, we pay same amount of money as others, but I guess it would be impossible to sell "Borderlands 2: russian language only editon" in Germany or Italy or so.

This is unacceptable. Region locking the games doesn't help sales. I've just canceled my pre-order on Steam. I'm not going to buy the Russian version. Guess my money goes to other games (newsflash: not 2K's).

Bonus: reddit thread. It's not an issue you can silently sweep under the rug, it does piss people off and it does hurt sales.

That's just great... I've requested a refund for my preorder on Steam and will suggest to my friends to do the same. Great job 2k, great job!
    Last edited by Soushi; 09-15-2012 at 03:29 PM.

me canceling pre-order. enjoy your fail. again. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Z., Sep 15 13:30 (PDT):
    Hi there,

Thank you for contacting 2k Support. All users with a Russian IP address that are attempting to purchase and play the game will be restricted to the RU version of the game. This version of the game will only be compatible with other RU versions of the game, meaning you will only be able to play online with other Russian IP players. We deeply apologize for any and all inconvenience this issue may cause.

If you have any further questions regarding refunds or compensation inquiries, please direct these towards the retailer from whom you made your pre–purchase.

Best regards,

Christopher Z.
    Steam Support also doesn't help with changing version, they just refund, and you are left with no game at all.

The whole situation
    Quote Originally Posted by gugo View Post
    violates US Federal laws described in US Code Title 15, Chapter 50 "Consumer product warranties", in US Code Title 15, Chapter 87 "Telemarketing and consumer fraud and abuse prevention", and Russian false advertising class-action laws described in Ст. 182 УК РФ "Заведомо ложная реклама".
    I think other countries laws are also violated, but I don't know them.

Thumbs down Official answer from 2K

Official answer from 2K... they will not change anything. Source

Christopher Z., Sep 15 13:30 (PDT):
    Hi there,

Thank you for contacting 2k Support. All users with a Russian IP address that are attempting to purchase and play the game will be restricted to the RU version of the game. This version of the game will only be compatible with other RU versions of the game, meaning you will only be able to play online with other Russian IP players. We deeply apologize for any and all inconvenience this issue may cause.

If you have any further questions regarding refunds or compensation inquiries, please direct these towards the retailer from whom you made your pre–purchase.

Best regards,

Christopher Z.
    Affected countries: Russia, Ukrain, some other xUSSR + Baltic countries and even Turkey.

May be 2K know something that we do not? USSR can come back in several weeks?

Pre-order has been canceled. Thanks 2K/1C

Make my version ROW or i'm going to get a refund.

I am Russian.
    I enjoy the work developers put in their game, the voice and humor and stuff.
    I hate 1C for spoiling more than one game with their sometimes automated "translations".
    I am ready to pay more for international version - I understand that smartasses in the rest of EU will buy games off Russian Steam if it is simply cheaper there.
    I want to play with my wife, who does not know English.

I will wait this one out until the last day, and if nothing happens, I will cancel.

P.S.: Same thing with XCOM: Enemy Unknown - if 2K ruins my experience of the (hopefully) reincarnation of the memorable classic, I will cancel my preorder too.

It's a bad for company reputation to introduce region lock-down 5 days before release AND on the already preordered game, because most of people do not check the game status after they pay and will now get the game in the language the may not speak at all! Here, in Georgia, most does not know Russian enough to be able to play a game, Soviet Union is gone for already 20 years you know . Or, dear 2K, that was your goal for all this time - to get people buy game they can not even play and do not give them time to cancel? Great, great for sales, but you are going to release more games, do not you? And want us to pay for them? Well, I will pay no more, there are plenty of other developers who at least know modern geographic...

My suggestion: don't wait with canceling your pre-purchase. Steam support takes several days to get a refund from, and by Steam's policy, you are only allowed a refund before the game is released. Granted, it was a scam, you paid for X and got Y, but I'd rather not take chances and end up with a useless, fake, substitute of what I paid for.

I'm from the US but I pre-ordered Borderlands 2 so I could play with my friend in Russia. And I just now found out I won't be able to! This along with the other restrictions they have for certain countries are nothing short of ridiculous and hard to believe even. I have most of the games 2K publishes and I love them, but I will no longer support this company unless they fix this mess. I'm just one unimportant person, but it seems they're pissing off a lot of paying customers. Might be something for them to think about.

I'm not affected - not actually wanting to play Borderlands, and being in the UK, but I just wanted to add my voice here in solidarity. This is very not cool.

Telling people in Baltic states, Ukraine, etc that they are expected to play in Russian is culturally and geopolitically insensitive, as well as not actually making much sense. For those states that are EU members, I suspect that the EC might have something to say on the issue - as long as refunds are available, it won't engage basic consumer protection, but I don't think that commissioners will be happy about it, and there may be regulations that it violates otherwise (if not, I imagine there will be new ones fairly soon).

Though the claim that it comes up for Turkey as well, that just makes no sense. Steam having some broken IP geolocation?

For those wondering about XCOM, I doubt it will be an issue there. It looks like this is a possible issue just because 2K/Gearbox aren't doing the Russian version themselves, they contracted it out to 1C; XCOM lists a Russian localisation as part of core support.

Oh, just thought, it may well violate EU rules if people in EU Baltic states can't buy a copy from a store elsewhere in the EU, and thus get the worldwide version. Given that Steam now has an EU subsidiary, this may cause them a headache directly, as Steam may be considered a store in the EU.

I live in a country where people like me, people who pay for games, are laughed at. All of my friends make fun of me for buying games, telling me how easy it is to pirate them. I tell them "I like these games and I want to support the industry and the people who make them". Now they can safely say "Remember that time 2K screwed you over?".

I don't even live in Russia, hell most of the population in my country (Armenia) knows Russian as good/bad as they know English. If you're going to localize it, localize it to the LOCAL language, not to that of the closest country with a population over a 100 million. Otherwise you're just offending an entire country.

If you think this is going to affect pirating AT ALL, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by inzombiak View Post

If you think this is going to affect pirating AT ALL, you're wrong.
    You really think this is about piracy? 2K tries to solve the problem of one version which costs like 50 €/$ in Western Europe/USA and the same version which costs like four times less.
    Many people circumvent the artificial boundaries set by publishers by importing the games or have them been gifted by their "Russian friends".
    I agree with you that the way 2K is handling the issue is absolutely horrible, but on the other hand one may have to show them viable alternatives. I still don't get why they aren't offering one region locked and a Rest of the World (ROW) version. Maybe that's a Steam limitation?

Then make the US version more appealing than the Russian version. Make the Russian version just bare-bones basic game and give the US version the early-access + first DLC free.
    This is just bad business practice, just a badly planned out quick-fix

Quote Originally Posted by lart View Post
    You really think this is about piracy? 2K tries to solve the problem of one version which costs like 50 €/$ in Western Europe/USA and the same version which costs like four times less.
    Many people circumvent the artificial boundaries set by publishers by importing the games or have them been gifted by their "Russian friends".
    Excuse me? You do realise that many countries affected by this, like mine Estonia, are paying full 50 euro price for the game while reciving russian version?
    That´s scamming imo. And i am pretty sure European Union should have some laws regarding game languages inside European Union memberstates. It just isn`t logical to sell multilanguage to most of the European Union and russian only for Baltic states, russian isn´t our national language, in that case it even might have some point.

I agree with you that the way 2K is handling the issue is absolutely horrible, but on the other hand one may have to show them viable alternatives. I still don't get why they aren't offering one region locked and a Rest of the World (ROW) version. Maybe that's a Steam limitation?
    Well, they could try not forcing the Russian version on customers in non-CIS, non-Russian-speaking EU member states, like Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Forcing a somewhat cut-down Russian version on Russian customers is one thing, for which there are some logical arguments (I wouldn't say whether it's right or wrong - a more complex issue). Forcing the cut-down Russian version on people in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperions View Post
    Excuse me? You do realise that many countries affected by this, like mine Estonia, are paying full 50 euro price for the game while reciving russian version?
    That´s scamming imo. And i am pretty sure European Union should have some laws regarding game languages inside European Union memberstates.
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem for the EU if all EU member states could only get the Russian version - it would be equal treatment, then. An EU company (didn't Valve incorporate an EU subsidiary?) selling different versions of the game to different parts of the EU? That could be problematic.

Thumbs down

I agree with you that the way 2K is handling the issue is absolutely horrible, but on the other hand one may have to show them viable alternatives.
    There is an alternative.

A) Sell both versions, cut russian low priced and normal 50-60$ Worldwide version, just let us choose what to buy.

B) Sell worldwide version with country launch lock. It's possible, in fact this version could be launched only from RU AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD TJ TM UZ UA LV LT EE IP's. So why not just make this the only buzzkill? We will still enjoy the original localization ("Шизострел" as Gunzerker is just freaking retarded), will be able to play with the other countries, receive patches in time and buy DLC's. Because apparently my pre-ordered Season Pass worth jack ☺☺☺☺ at this point, since it does not work with this version of the game .

Sounds really easy right? Because those are the easy alternatives to whatever the hell 2K made.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem for the EU if all EU member states could only get the Russian version - it would be equal treatment, then. An EU company (didn't Valve incorporate an EU subsidiary?) selling different versions of the game to different parts of the EU? That could be problematic.
    Edited my post to clarify that this excatly what is happening atm. Rest of the europe gets Multilanguage nonrestricted version but some countries like estonia, latvia and lithuania getting RU version. Might be more countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperions View Post
    ...some countries like estonia, latvia and lithuania getting RU version. Might be more countries.
    http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/15780 here.

PurchaseRestrictedCountries = RU AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD TJ TM UZ UA LV LT EE
    onlyallowrunincountries = RU AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD TJ TM UZ UA LV LT EE

EDIT: Your situation is even more ridiculous, not only you get yourself ☺☺☺☺ty russian localization, but you also pay full price for that.
    Such a scam.

I still don't get why they aren't offering one region locked and a Rest of the World (ROW) version. Maybe that's a Steam limitation?
    I doubt that this Steam limitation

23/11/2011 in RU Steam Store could buy RoW, DE and JP version FEAR Collection Pack but after some time they were removed. If 2K Games wants to earn more money in Russia and CIS, Valve will gladly help them with this, for they also will get more money.

Sorry for my bad english and offtop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi239 View Post
    http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/15780 here.

PurchaseRestrictedCountries = RU AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD TJ TM UZ UA LV LT EE
    onlyallowrunincountries = RU AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD TJ TM UZ UA LV LT EE

EDIT: Your situation is even more ridiculous, not only you get yourself ☺☺☺☺ty russian localization, but you also pay full price for that.
    Such a scam.
    This is what I'd seen reported as coming from the CDRs as well.

That's the CIS states, plus Turkmenistan and Ukraine (not fully members, but kind of act like they are), plus Georgia (former CIS member), plus three states that used to be part of the USSR, but were never CIS members of any sort, and are now member of the EU (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania).

I think the EU might not be happy. Making it so purchasers in the UK only got English would be bad enough; this is more like making it so purchasers in the UK only get Irish Gaelic. I don't know if there are any precedents for such restrictive practices within the EU. If purchasing from Amazon's EU branch had this result, Amazon could get in trouble for it - I expect keys from Amazon will be for global versions for this reason. If they then didn't work for purchasers in certain EU member states, Amazon could get in trouble for it - but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it, if Amazon didn't know about the problem.

This smells like a localisation/exclusivity deal gone very, very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
    This smells like a localisation/exclusivity deal gone very, very bad.
    Yeah. The inclusion of EU Baltic states is actually quite offensive to the peoples of those states.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    three states that used to be part of the USSR, but were never CIS members of any sort, and are now member of the EU (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia
    all they had to do to know that we are not part of cis and that we are not russian speaking regions was checking wikipedia...
    also yea pay 50 eur for full multi language version only to have it swaped out for russian version (that should cost something around 15 eur in reality but who cares apparently we can pay more than 3x for that here while we cant even understand the language) in the last week before release without any upfront notification (while he game was on sale for nearly 2 months as multi language version)
    already canceled pre-order when this started but still waiting for steam response

Oh, I definitely understand that. I'd be offended, too!

Hello.
    I am from Russia and that's what I want to say about this situation with a lockdown.
    I know, I have to be some kind of a patriot, but I am not, because the sad truth is that 1C is the worst publisher ever. I am sorry, but what were the 2k guys thinking? 1C doesn't make good translations, they do not provide a proper technical support, they are always late with updates and patches and we can only dream about new DLCs. In case you don't know all the DLC of Borderlands 1 were available only for WW version.
    So, my point is I want to play WW version in English, I am sorry. I have these lousy 50 bucks or euro, whatever, to pay for the game I want. And yes, I want to play it in English, because all the atmosphere, humor and all the little detail can be caught only by playing the original English version. So please, give us a choice, don't make any reservations. Internet is the international space, for God sake.

i cant quite understand why cant you sell both versions as pointed out in diferent forums of same topic threads..
    sell world wide version everywhere
    and the russian language version as option in the CIS areas (that does not include Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania )
    right now this restrictions is really hurting people who wanty to buy the game here and really insults the people who bought the game that had shown information of world wide version of the game from the time of purchase until around week before release..

and when i sayd sell both version then i meant, sell the world wide version at its regular price and localized at its cheap local prize for people who would actually want it.
    that way you could also compare sales and see if localized versions really sell that well compared to original full priced version

Steam pre-order cancelled.
    Pre-ordering at TPB now...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast