Thread: Melee or Point-Blank Shot = 100% Chance to Hit?

Melee or Point-Blank Shot = 100% Chance to Hit?

Been noticing in the videos that if you take a point blank shot or make a melee attack, you are guaranteed a hit. These should be high % but there's no chance to dodge these?

IMHO there should always be some chance (5-10%?) that an attack will miss.

I think there is a chance to miss, but it has something to do with your soldiers health and will. I THINK. On the other hand how hard is it to miss someone who is standing right in front of you.

This is XCOM, there should always be a slight chance something goes horribly wrong

I keep recalling a OG mission I did recently where not only did a rookie not hit an alien that was right beside him, one of his auto shots hit the squadie that was standing beside him killing him.

No chance of that in this game I guess. I saw in another vid a soldier actually shooting through another soldier to kill an alien behind him. So apparently your shot goes only to your target or if missed the cover around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Propbuddha View Post
    This is XCOM, there should always be a slight chance something goes horribly wrong
    And that's on a good day

You could probably dodge a melee if you have defense perks. Melee attacks have high aim and you have zero cover bonuses if you're melee'd so it makes sense.

A close range shot could miss depending on the weapon, perks, etc. I think base aim for a rookie with an AR is only like 80%.

In one of the multiplayer vids, a soldier did 'dodge' a melee attack made by a Muton Berserker. So, that's in.

EDIT: Dodge as in "melee attack missed" and having the soldier do a dodged animation. I don't think that there is a seperate dodge mechanism.
    Last edited by Dohon; 09-20-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Really? In some gameplay videos I saw, even very close range was only a 65% chance to hit. It was more like 3 tiles instead of none, but still.... surprised me how low it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Taika View Post
    Really? In some gameplay videos I saw, even very close range was only a 65% chance to hit. It was more like 3 tiles instead of none, but still.... surprised me how low it was.
    I think if you're in full/partial cover there will always be a negative Aim modifier. I was referring to point blank and melee attacks. I also saw in the Jake vs. Greg video that Jake's super sniper had 100% vs. targets further away (not in cover though).

Quote Originally Posted by Taika View Post
    I meant dodge as in "melee attack missed" and having the soldier do a dodged animation. I don't think that there is a seperate dodge mechanism.

God damnit, Barry...

Ask me about Barry sometime. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Dohon View Post
    In one of the multiplayer vids, a soldier did 'dodge' a melee attack made by a Muton Berserker. So, that's in.

EDIT: Dodge as in "melee attack missed" and having the soldier do a dodged animation. I don't think that there is a seperate dodge mechanism.
    I've only seen the Berserker in 2 videos - ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naCTXl-bqPI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjh9YdqwU4 ) and he's connected on every attack...

I've seen what looks like dodge animations but the attack always connects...

I think the dodge was on an attack by a Chrysalid.

I wish I'd never watched those videos. They were so slow I just skipped huge chunks because it was so mind numbingly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
    It looks like it misses, but if you look at the soldier the damage is done.

Posted to wrong thread. I was never here.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
    If you're referring to the Chrysalid attack in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjh9YdqwU4&t=16m25s it looks like a dodge animation, but a damage bubble appears.

It does seem a bit over powered, especially since it seems like the melee of a berzerker is an instant gib...

One early lesson in this game is definitely not to get too close to the aliens, nor let them get too close to you. I could see a follow on game where this changes and the XCom guys get some melee abilities apart from Arc Thrower, but for now that's it.

Propbuddha + Bohon - Thanks for the clarification. I probably did overlook cover involved, even though it was so close. I wonder if level plays into it, or if it's always 100%...

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_Firewing View Post
    It does seem a bit over powered, especially since it seems like the melee of a berzerker is an instant gib...
    Bear in mind that melee units can do NOTHING against flying units like Floaters (MP wise) or Archangel armoured XCOM soldiers. So while they are super effective IF you can get them close, they have numerous disadvantages for their melee only ability including the fact they also cannot take cover.

I don't know about melee, but I could have sworn that in one of the earliest gameplay vids they made an off-hand comment about no attacks having a 100% chance to hit. But I'm afraid I don't have a source. Could have even been in an article.

I find it hard to believe that Firaxis would design a game with that kind of unrealistic element. Nothing is ever guaranteed (unless it was some super-special, one-time-use perk or gadget).
    Last edited by japester; 09-22-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    I don't know about melee, but I could have sworn that in one of the earliest gameplay vids they made an off-hand comment about now attacks having a 100% chance to hit. But I'm afraid I don't have a source. Could have even been in an article.

I find it hard to believe that Firaxis would design a game with that kind of unrealistic element. Nothing is ever guaranteed (unless it was some super-special, one-time-use perk or gadget).
    The sniper with Archangel armor and Squad Sight in the JS v Greg MP game had 100% to hit a couple of times. So it definitely is possible, but like you said, may need the use of specific perks.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I agree your shot should never be 100% but If I charge a heavy forward to a face hug a unit with 1 HP left and miss from point blank that is more than 'this is xcom'. That would be BS

On the other hand if they are charging me with a Berserker and my soldier misses under pressure I can understand it. I think it depends if I am attacking or if there would be understandable pressure on the unit.