Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 157

Thread: No Playable Demo? Prepare to fail

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Before I begin, I would like to apologize to Asmodipants if my first response came off as too hostile. And I do hope you weren't scared away from these forums by the negative responses if that was indeed one of your first posts.



    To my adoring fan:

    Asmodipants mentioned three big name titles that would be competing with XCom: Enemy Unknown. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandara, Guild Wars 2, and Fifa 13. While technically a valid argument in the broad sense that all video games are competing for the luxury consumer dollar, it misses severally realities of the business and properties.

    WoWMoP is the easiest to see. While WoW is indeed a big title, even to this day, its audience has begun to stagnate. It has very little new content, depth, or innovation to pull in new players, and is largely the same game it has always been. Its main target audience already plays it. It is an expansion of an existing game, not a new game in its own right. Most of WoW's target audience has been playing WoW for years, and, given the choice between XCom and WoW, even with a shiny demo demonstrating how awesome XCom is, they'll still choose WoW. They have an investment in it, and are going to continue to play. While they may quit WoW at some point, the chance of a player being swayed to quit by an XCom demo is negligible, and why that is will be covered when we discuss Guild Wars 2.

    So, for purposes of marketing XCom, the WoW player base is unimportant. It is essentially fixed, and is not competing with XCom, anymore than XCom is competing with WoW. If XCom were to take into account WoW's player base, the best move would be not to compete, but to piggy-back off WoW's success by partnering with Blizzard Activision to offer something like a Sectoid pet for every WoW player who purchases XCom (something I am glad 2k is not doing).


    Fifa 13 is a similar case, though not identical. Sports games have two main purchasing demographics. The first, and by far the largest, are the dedicated fans who just go to the game store and pick up the new game in their series (actually the same game with a slight graphics tweak and new names on jersies *ahem* Sorry, that was rude of me) whenever it comes out. We usually call them "Madden Junkies" on both the forums I frequent, and at my local game shop. Again, their purchasing is pretty much fixed. While they certainly do buy and play other games, and will even do first day and midnight launches of other games, given the choice between their sports game of choice and XCom, they're going to stick to Fifa. If they are going to pick up XCom, it's likely going to be in addition to, not instead of, Fifa, and is probably going to be a week to a month down the line. Definitely a demographic to look at, but not a case of "competition", as your marketing is unlikely to pull them away from their game of choice, demo or no demo.

    The second main purchasing demographic for sports game is the casual interest buyer, and they are the closest competition you get from Fifa. They are the person who thinks "oh, I want to play a soccer game", and heads into the store to buy a soccer game, picking up Fifa 13. The problem with marketing to this demographic is that it is fairly self limited. Since there is always a soccer game (or football game, or hockey game, etcetera) on store shelves due to the fact they are constantly being created and always availible, sports games tend to be avoided by most game browsers. When you go to pick up a new game, average gamers will skip over the sports titles because they're always there. Most of them won't even notice them. So the main casual purchase demographic for Fifa is someone who is specifically in the mood for a soccer game, which means they are much harder to capture, even with a shiny demo.

    Lastly, let's look at Guild Wars 2. This game is far closer to competition with XCom than either of the others, however, it still suffers from something that plagues WoW, which is the difference in game experience. GW2 is an MMO. MMOs offer a very different experience from other games, and players know this. Gamers go to MMOs looking for a slower, longer progression, a persistent world, constant social interaction, etcetera. They play MMOs for the things MMOs offer that other games can't. Because of this, most people who are playing Guild Wars 2 are, again, not competing for XCom's purchasing dollar. If they are the sort of gamer who plays other games while playing an MMO, then GW2 isn't competition. If not, trying to grab them away with a completely different experience is unlikely to work. They know why they play MMOs, and something without those features is unlikely to take their focus. This is why competition in the MMO market is frequently considered as separate from the majority of the gaming market. GW2 is competing with WoWMoP, but not with XCom.


    These are, of course, generalizations, as there are always statistical outliers. However, the truth is that none of the games mentioned are in the correct class to be competing directly for XCom's dollar at the level that a marketing department is likely to look at.
    Can I just say that this may be the best post I have seen on these forums? The time and thought put into it shows.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    127
    Xcom Enemy Unknown will release in a fortnight. A demo might ruin all my growing tension. It's kind of a nice feeling to know the aliens will be here in two weeks and all I can do is wait.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodipants View Post
    I mean really!! Who is doing your marketing?

    You are going up against Guild Wars 2, Mists of Pandaria, Fifa 13 plus a whole host of other top end games in a time of global austerity and you feel you dont need to put out a playable demo.
    I have waited a very long time for a worthy successor to the 94 classic but will I drop some hard earned cash on this game? Probably not.
    I know Mists of Pandaria will be good, I know Fifa 13 will be good as I have played the Demo.
    If you are not running Betas then you need a playable demo, anyone can make cut scenes, screenshots and videos look amazing but if you havent got a playable demo my inital reaction is one of suspicion.

    Its not difficult to put together a 1 mission demo.
    You are so lame it is really hard to put into words.

    There's many youtube videos with real game play from the preview build, are you suggesting that those vids are hacked in some way or another?

    Personally as a true x-com fan I'm more than pleased with the info we've seen and will buy the game the second it comes out, or pre-ordered already really. If you aren't buying this game based on ALL the info you have already seen, then you are not a true x-com fan.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
    "i know mists of pandaria will be good".

    Credibility is shot right there.
    plusonebuddy

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by colej View Post
    Can I just say that this may be the best post I have seen on these forums? The time and thought put into it shows.
    Thank you, sir. I appreciate that.



    I'd like to point out something else about a demo: XCom is a hard game to build a public demo for. Because it is two games in one (strategic and tactical), balancing a demo to show off the full game properly is extremely difficult. Showing off the tactical phase can be done easily in a few missions. But if you just have a few missions, you won't give the player nearly enough of the strategic phase. Without enough time, you won't see returns on the strategic decisions, or how the strategy impacts the overall game.

    On the other hand, if you do give enough of the entire game to really show off the strategy side, you could be in danger of showing off too much. Twenty five percent of the game may be fine for a press demo, but it is a lot of a game to show off for a hands-on player demo, as the play time for it was discussed at around 20 hours.

    If you show the player the strategy, but don't let them get a feel for how it fits in with the overall game and works out, you might alienate the player and turn them off the game. If you show the player everything, they might decide to just play the demo and to heck with the game.

    And that's assuming you're showing the game as it is in the final project. Do you show everything off equally? Which aspects should you highlight? If you show off particular aspects to hook new players, how will the extremely loud die-hard XCom fans respond to an unbalanced demo, especially given how they reacted to the last announcement that wasn't true to XCom..?


    Creating a good demo for this game is not an easy task. And, while I don't claim to be a marketing genius (I may [i]be[i] one, but I don't claim to be one. Humility, that's the key), I would not say it is bad business to avoid releasing a demo for this game. Nor, for that matter, would I say it is a bad idea to release the demo. Both sides have their plusses and minuses, and I think we'll have to trust the 2k/Firaxis marketing group to make the best choice they can.

  6. #86
    Come on, guys. Two+ pages of feeding a Troll...?

    Stop the overwatch fire.

    - G

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sheffield, United Kingdom
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodipants View Post
    Well lets hope the rest of the community is not a brainless moron like you.
    Whether we love or hate anything and everything to do with World of Warcraft its the single biggest game of all time and will be for the forseeable future. That my clueless friend is a fact.
    The point I was making if you had the brains to understand it was there is around 10 or so tried and tested sequels coming out that will sell millions around the same time of Xcom.
    All you have shown is your a selfish little **** that does not care about the long term future of the game.
    You do understand that "Headless chickens with rifles" I.E COD sells better than WoW right? Yea WoW is a mega money maker, but only a small % of gamers are willing to stump up for a Sub.

    WoW was interesting, it got boring sometime towards the end of WotLK and yes I was there in Vanilla, all those years ago when it was new and interesting.

    This game probably won't sell as good as World of Pandas (Because lets be honest... everyone and their mother is going to roll a Pandarian Monk) or FIFA 13, Lets just release the same game every year and mugs will buy it. Oh wait Rooney has hair in this one! I'M THROWING MY MONIES AT YOU!!!!!11!!!! -.-

    This game will sell well for people its targetting, people who like slower strategy games or TBS...

    Also WoW never had a trial (read demo) in the early days... how has that become such a roaring success?

    Please take your faulty brain and ideas to Battlenet and fap over Pandarians and their "Crittermon" pets...

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    XCOM Labs
    Posts
    1,443
    Stop feeding the troll guys, he might go back to his super awesome magic panda game...

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    226
    I'm not so much feeding the troll as I'm taking every opportunity to proclaim I'm loathe to play a game with pandas running around doing very Pokemon-esque pet battles.

    Don't tell my GF though. She's still trying to get me to play it.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    1,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodipants View Post
    I mean really!! Who is doing your marketing?

    You are going up against Guild Wars 2, Mists of Pandaria, Fifa 13 plus a whole host of other top end games in a time of global austerity and you feel you dont need to put out a playable demo.
    I have waited a very long time for a worthy successor to the 94 classic but will I drop some hard earned cash on this game? Probably not.
    I know Mists of Pandaria will be good, I know Fifa 13 will be good as I have played the Demo.
    If you are not running Betas then you need a playable demo, anyone can make cut scenes, screenshots and videos look amazing but if you havent got a playable demo my inital reaction is one of suspicion.

    Its not difficult to put together a 1 mission demo.
    Wow, someone entertain this kid immediately! Quick, throw him a stuffed panda.

    Seriously go play the new games now. I'm sure with your attention span you'll be looking for something to play by October 9th anyway.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodipants View Post
    All you have shown is your a selfish little **** that does not care about the long term future of the game.
    And a demo would make the future of the game? Not the game itself? And, not that I condone it, you could always download the game illegally to test it, can't get a better demo than that.

    I on the other hand are going to preorder it at soon as I get my paycheck on oct 1st.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,395
    WOW has a new expansion? I thought that was a new Kung-fu Panda game. Seriously they shoulda made a 3rd KFP movie in step with this release. WOW is running on fumes now as is.

    They would be wise to release a demo before not only Xcom is released but to also get the impulse buyers.
    The people who don't think or want a demo are just fearful Katscan and myself will get even more of a head start on them in MP and they need all the help they can get.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    168
    I actually don't want a demo at this point. I want to save the excitement of trying the game for the first for the day that I open the packaging on my copy. It's all the more exciting if you've never played it at all before.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    1,616
    Even though his claims about Pandaria and WoW are absurd, he's got a point about the demo issue. This is a practically non-existent genre nowadays so they need to actually have people try out the game. Merely showing videos won't be enough since it's not a genre that's optimal for watching. It can only be truly appreciated after giving it a try.

    A demo will do more good to sales than anything else at this point and it's only logical to show it beforehand. It's too late after the launch since prices will go down towards Christmas.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,395
    After Xcom attention will move to AC3.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    Even though his claims about Pandaria and WoW are absurd, he's got a point about the demo issue. This is a practically non-existent genre nowadays so they need to actually have people try out the game. Merely showing videos won't be enough since it's not a genre that's optimal for watching. It can only be truly appreciated after giving it a try.

    A demo will do more good to sales than anything else at this point and it's only logical to show it beforehand. It's too late after the launch since prices will go down towards Christmas.
    No, he didn't have a point about that either.

    It's already been pointed out in this thread how a demo is unlikely to make any difference, and why, until after release. It's also been pointed out why a demo that gives people the chance to appreciate this game is tremendously hard to make.

    Either you don't have enough of the geoscape stuff, or you have too much of the tactical side.

    FWIW, a demo has never convinced me to buy a game I wasn't intending to buy in the first place. Demos have stopped me buying more than one game, though.

    Unless you're suggesting a shareware approach, where the game is complete but crippled? That would be even worse, IMO.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    I still hold out for a demo in the first week of October, but given Firaxis' history on demo releases, it looks more likely to be a couple or three weeks after the game is released.
    Does not make sense to me but it probably makes eminent sense to the corporate bean counters who decide this sort of thing.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    Even though his claims about Pandaria and WoW are absurd, he's got a point about the demo issue. This is a practically non-existent genre nowadays so they need to actually have people try out the game. Merely showing videos won't be enough since it's not a genre that's optimal for watching. It can only be truly appreciated after giving it a try.

    A demo will do more good to sales than anything else at this point and it's only logical to show it beforehand. It's too late after the launch since prices will go down towards Christmas.
    for once I actually agree with you, since TBS is not exactly the most popular genre these days, I think a demo would help to encourage people to try something new instead of the the same old fps with a very slight change in the story. I for one am hoping that the new xcom will inspire people to play games which actually make you think, just like the original xcom/ufo inspired most of us.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    I still hold out for a demo in the first week of October, but given Firaxis' history on demo releases, it looks more likely to be a couple or three weeks after the game is released.
    Does not make sense to me but it probably makes eminent sense to the corporate bean counters who decide this sort of thing.
    Can I speculate that the reason it doesn't make sense to you, gunnergoz, is because it wouldn't make you more likely to buy the game? A demo, to you, can do one of two things:

    1) confirm your pre-purchase (which means they've wasted their time giving you the demo, because they already have your money)

    2) change your mind (which means they've lost money).

    From that perspective there is literally no advantage to the company to do a demo.

    The question is whether people who haven't made a decision yet could have their minds changed by a demo. And the reality is that most of those people (I'd have been in this camp, if the gameplay videos I've seen hadn't convinced me that a day-1 purchase was worth the gamble) will wait until after a game's release, for user reports.

    A demo won't help there, either - because if they were thinking of waiting, they'll probably keep waiting (in the knowledge that a demo isn't the final game, I may as well wait for the early adopters reports of how the final game actually is).

    Have you ever decided to purchase a game pre-release, based on a demo of that game? As I've already said, I've never done this - but I have decided not to purchase more than one game because of a demo.

    *edit in response to Deelad* Gah. A demo will encourage people who haven't tried TBS to actually buy the game? I doubt it. A finished game that gets favourable reviews and good word-of-mouth might, though.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,395
    The one item you forgot is it stops us from banding together and kicking the front door down and just taking the game by force.

  21. #101
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    No, he didn't have a point about that either.

    It's already been pointed out in this thread how a demo is unlikely to make any difference, and why, until after release. It's also been pointed out why a demo that gives people the chance to appreciate this game is tremendously hard to make.

    Either you don't have enough of the geoscape stuff, or you have too much of the tactical side.

    FWIW, a demo has never convinced me to buy a game I wasn't intending to buy in the first place. Demos have stopped me buying more than one game, though.

    Unless you're suggesting a shareware approach, where the game is complete but crippled? That would be even worse, IMO.
    Everyone certainly isn't you. I decided to buy games due to demos before and also know people who do. In fact in 90's, all you had were screenshots and demo. A freeplay of one month is enough and is also how Firaxis does with Civilization. It's enough to see the classical antiquity to decide and the first month of X-COM is also enough.

  22. #102
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by katscan View Post
    September 25.. You heard it hear first. If I am incorrect, please link this thread on Sept 26. Incidentally, Dont_Mess_Xcom also pegs it at the end of that week, but I am sticking to Tuesday. Copy pasted for a quick "I told you so"
    ... Katscan are u sure you don't want to delete that... this guy sounds the type to "lose" it if you are wrong. Just lock your windows and doors... oh and use cash if you have to leave town,he wont be able to trace you that way. Praying for your saftey

  23. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    502
    I really hate this thread. It made me feel all bad because I think we drove away someone who had only just discovered the game. I was just trying to point out what was wrong with his logic.

    I mean, yeah, my first post was a little argumentative, but I've had a rough week and he did say MoP was going to be "good"... *Mumble mumble mumble*

  24. #104
    Seriously though, I hope they'll release the demo sooner rather than later.
    A buddy of mine, who was one of the biggest UFO: Enemy Unknown fans back in the day,
    remains skeptical of the new XCOM, and wont buy in without having played it first.
    And I'm sure there are many more that are not kneedeep in info like we are who might have similar doubts.
    So here's hoping.

  25. #105
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    Everyone certainly isn't you. I decided to buy games due to demos before and also know people who do. In fact in 90's, all you had were screenshots and demo. A freeplay of one month is enough and is also how Firaxis does with Civilization. It's enough to see the classical antiquity to decide and the first month of X-COM is also enough.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Somehow, I'd gotten the idea that the rest of the world was as handsome, charming and smart as I am. Of course, you are correct - and they're not. Especially you

    I remember the 90's, bro. All one had was screenshots, demos, the reviews in the magazines the demos were attached to - and the word of the people you knew who had played the game. Which weighed far more heavily for me than the other things.

    Do you happen to remember how often those demos were pre-release? Usually they weren't.

    So you are suggesting a shareware approach, they give you the whole thing but lock it out after a month? That's asking for a hack (begging for it, actually) and is yet another reason to not release a demo until after release.

  26. #106
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodipants View Post
    brainless moron
    clueless
    if you had the brains
    a selfish little ****
    This is all I got out of this post, no substance, just smoke and fire. This shot down any credibility for me. Calm down kid and learn to make quality points that are difficult to dispute not attack the intellect of a person you dont know on an internet forum.

    I think this is trolling, can we get a mod in here if this continues?

  27. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. Somehow, I'd gotten the idea that the rest of the world was as handsome, charming and smart as I am. Of course, you are correct - and they're not. Especially you

    I remember the 90's, bro. All one had was screenshots, demos, the reviews in the magazines the demos were attached to - and the word of the people you knew who had played the game. Which weighed far more heavily for me than the other things.

    Do you happen to remember how often those demos were pre-release? Usually they weren't.

    So you are suggesting a shareware approach, they give you the whole thing but lock it out after a month? That's asking for a hack (begging for it, actually) and is yet another reason to not release a demo until after release.
    So you regard word of the people you know higher than your own experience.. Okay..

    Good thing I don't though, else I wouldn't pre-order the game as most of my friends who played old X-COM think it'll be very bad. A demo might have helped them change mind but I guess Firaxis don't really need those people as the game will sell 10 million copies in first week, being the reboot of 'that game people kept hearing yet didn't actually play'.

    Back then there wasn't %75 price drops after 3-6 months, this is a different era in which companies need to sell most in the first 3 months.

    Tell that to Firaxis as they keep doing it for Civ series with limit turns. Demo or no demo, it'll get pirated like every other game that came out or ever will so that's not really a solid argument.

  28. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    Can I speculate that the reason it doesn't make sense to you, gunnergoz, is because it wouldn't make you more likely to buy the game? A demo, to you, can do one of two things:

    1) confirm your pre-purchase (which means they've wasted their time giving you the demo, because they already have your money)

    2) change your mind (which means they've lost money).

    From that perspective there is literally no advantage to the company to do a demo.

    The question is whether people who haven't made a decision yet could have their minds changed by a demo. And the reality is that most of those people (I'd have been in this camp, if the gameplay videos I've seen hadn't convinced me that a day-1 purchase was worth the gamble) will wait until after a game's release, for user reports.

    A demo won't help there, either - because if they were thinking of waiting, they'll probably keep waiting (in the knowledge that a demo isn't the final game, I may as well wait for the early adopters reports of how the final game actually is).

    Have you ever decided to purchase a game pre-release, based on a demo of that game? As I've already said, I've never done this - but I have decided not to purchase more than one game because of a demo.

    *edit in response to Deelad* Gah. A demo will encourage people who haven't tried TBS to actually buy the game? I doubt it. A finished game that gets favourable reviews and good word-of-mouth might, though.
    The demo does one thing you overlook and that is to create buzz in the gaming community that nothing else can replicate other than to give the game away free...which the demo is sort of a variant on.

    If I was one of those beancounters at 2K that I mentioned, I'd be looking hard at all available demographic and survey data on game releases and in particular those that have a similar profile to XCom, i.e. long-awaited sequels of a classic - a very well regarded game not refreshed in some time. I'm sure the industry has tons of data that we know little about, much of it proprietary in the distribution and sales community. They turn to that source, I suspect, to help them determine if/when/how to release a demo, based upon likely return on investment.

    It is very possible that a final decision was actually made some weeks ago, given it was almost nine months ago that real information about the game was allowed to start dribbling out. With the gaming conventions, public panels and hands-on demonstrations, live streams, interviews and, most recently, press copies out there, they've been gathering still more data and adding that to give them the final bits that they need to determine what to do.

    This game cannot depend upon the existing fan community alone to create a buzz sufficient to insure sufficient copies are sold to justify the investment made, for that community is quite small compared to the existing base of game buyers out there. So they have to depend upon various means to create buzz and interest about a game that might otherwise be released with nary a ripple compared to the industry giants. So how do you get people talking? One way is to tease the fans and get them riled up. Then you start working on the people who preview games for a living and stir their excitement a bit. And then you begin your pre-release dog and pony show, more rah-rah events and publicity. Finally, you drop a demo on the playing public to get the doubting thomases off their butts and into gear. The jury is out as to whether the best time to capture them is after the game is released, or beforehand.

    And that's the point where I think we are, poised on the cusp of a decision about releasing the demo and when. My money is on the demo's release and my eagerness insists upon its release in the next two weeks but my logical self keeps arguing that there may well be cogent reasons to hold off, as Firaxis has done in the past, and issue the demo after the game is released.

  29. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    118
    Seems to me they are basing assumptions on MMO's not TBS. Where you bought the game and got a month free before you had to stump up the cash for sub's. An effective Demo persay... I still don't think we will get a demo before release.

  30. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    Firaxis/2K's record is to release demos after the game is already out. We really don't know why the demos seem to go out after the game is released.
    Probably because post launch is a more win-win scenario... You won't have anyone hate the demo and cancel their preorder, but post launch you get the people who maybe weren't as interested who figured they may as well try a free demo and end up buying it.

  31. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Swabia....Germany
    Posts
    124
    since when do WoW Trolls run around in here <_< ...


    yes a demo would be nice...but there are so many ingame videos on the net...so i dont need a demo to know i want that game.

  32. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryphikik View Post
    Probably because post launch is a more win-win scenario... You won't have anyone hate the demo and cancel their preorder, but post launch you get the people who maybe weren't as interested who figured they may as well try a free demo and end up buying it.
    Could be. It may also be that they simply capture more people with the demo after release than before it. By then, part of the public is on the edge of buying, but only needs one more nudge to push them in to a purchase decision. The people who doubt the game will be released without bugs are going to wait anyway. Those skeptics may not purchase for quite a while unless they get their hands on a stable demo that gets them fired up and convinced that it is safe to buy.

  33. #113
    Why the OP comes off as threatening, I don't know, but I believe his point stands. A playable demo will most definitely increase sales, since I think this game easily stands on its own in terms of quality.

  34. #114
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Cydonia
    Posts
    174
    Anyone who posts below this is feeding a troll.



    Go post on the X-COM Meme thread instead! Just please don't bump this thread for the love of your deity of choice.

  35. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabn View Post
    since when do WoW Trolls run around in here <_< ...


    yes a demo would be nice...but there are so many ingame videos on the net...so i dont need a demo to know i want that game.
    Clearly, you are not the one they are targeting with a demo then, are you?

  36. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tejas (but I've lived all over)
    Posts
    6,665
    First off, mod stuff.

    Yeah, this thread started off on a bad foot, but I trust you guys to respond in a calm, mature fashion. If XCOM:EU sucked, we'd only have rabid fanboys spouting nonsense defending it. But it's a great game. So there's no need to resort to that.

    Second, all the comments about trolling. If you have a problem with a post, hit the "Report Post" button. Please don't backseat moderate. And better yet, don't requote stuff you know is against the rules. If someone posts an ugly comment, we'll address it. When you repost that comment, you are now just as guilty of putting that out there and also must be addressed. Let's not go there if we can help it.

    As for the demo, Skyblade pointed something out that makes sense. This might be a tough game to sell with a demo. I think I'm unique in that I got to play the entire convention demo through to the end. It took about an hour. Even then, it only took the tutorial training wheels off at the very end. I had the tiniest fraction of the tools to play with. Now, I know X-COM. So I was in it just to see how the new game operates. But someone completely new to this might find this boring. Because the fun really happens when all the tools and options are available and you get to build up your forces. Can't really do that in a demo. All this really communicates to a noob, IMHO, is how TBS works. (And that's not as crazy as you might think--I overheard the 2K guys explaining TBS to quite a few passers-by at the Gamestop Expo.) For a fast-paced, action, and/or plot-heavy game, I love demos. They let me see if it all hangs together well. The XCOM:EU tutorial/demo being shown at the cons just introduces us to parts. It doesn't give a great feel for how it all hangs together.

  37. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Llama View Post
    Why the OP comes off as threatening, I don't know, but I believe his point stands. A playable demo will most definitely increase sales, since I think this game easily stands on its own in terms of quality.
    It takes all kinds, including those miffed that they are not running the world.

  38. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    XCOM Labs
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryphikik View Post
    Probably because post launch is a more win-win scenario... You won't have anyone hate the demo and cancel their preorder, but post launch you get the people who maybe weren't as interested who figured they may as well try a free demo and end up buying it.
    Spot on why risk it earlier. This way the pre-orders are as good as sold and anyone who is swayed by playing the demo is a bonus.

  39. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Swabia....Germany
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    Clearly, you are not the one they are targeting with a demo then, are you?
    errrr....um....i want to swim with dolphins NAO!!! :E

    (forgive me for this post...but its 8am...i have a hangover, i need a coffee and a cigarette badly...i think coffee's done now...oh my girlfriend still sleeps which means i had to feed my 2 lolcats and now i hope my german gamereviewers made a new vid... )

  40. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabn View Post
    errrr....um....i want to swim with dolphins NAO!!! :E

    (forgive me for this post...but its 8am...i have a hangover, i need a coffee and a cigarette badly...i think coffee's done now...oh my girlfriend still sleeps which means i had to feed my 2 lolcats and now i hope my german gamereviewers made a new vid... )
    Dude, you are a riot. Have a great day, for real.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •