Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 154

Thread: How did you get into the TBS genre?

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkidu View Post
    Final Fantasy and Civilization II.
    Same here. I actually played FFTactics 4-5 years before I played X-Com for the first time (a buddy in college introduced me to the game), so I was kinda primed for the Battlescape.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    163
    I've been gaming longer than most people my age for about 14 years now out of my 20 year life. Sadly, I'm mostly digital because I really had any friends that were Roleplayers. They did exist, however, and there were a good amount of places to do it.

    Anyway, I don't think I would have grown up the same way if I started gaming 5 years later than I did. When I started gaming, it was a huge playground. I started out with N64 and became a Nintendo fanboy (which wasn't necessarily inclusive). I then found PC gaming and I also extended from Nintendo and got an Xbox. Now, games are mainstreamed so if you if you got into gaming through one genre, you're most likely going to stick to that one genre because it's spoonfed to you, both a positive and negative. Back in the day, being a gamer kind of meant that you played games in general. I would do things like look at magazines and online and find out about games that had genres I never played, and play them because they either looked interesting or they were well reviewed. That's how I found out and played games liked Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, Civ IV (does it count?), Tactics Orge. Also, at random, I picked up a Sonic 4-Pack which included a Sonic 1, 2, 3 w/ expansions and a bunch of Genesis games, including Shining Force. I always liked games with parties.

    Fallout and XCOM were always games that I was aware of because of PC Gamer and some other mentions, but the newest additions peaked my interest. Anyway, both of them came out before I was PC gaming so I really had no clue about them until the last couple of years. Playing Fallout 1 and 2 makes me appreciate Fallout: New Vegas way more than most people did. Hearing war stories of XCOM and trying it out myself made me wary of XCOM FPS and then fully disappointed me when it became Mass Effect (I'll give it credit for the original design not being Mass Effect).

    My modern day tactical games includes Civ V, Advance Wars: DS, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, and Rebelstar: Tactical Command. Yeah, they aren't too recent (Advance Wars and Rebelstar are about 7 years old), but they are lasting. Also, Julian Gollop.

    TLDR

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Swabia....Germany
    Posts
    124
    Battle Isle 1,2,3, 1914, Risk!

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    So limited number of historical war game players out there, then? Interesting. I must be a bigger oddball than I thought...
    When I was in high school I had read a Smithsonian article about war gaming and LOVED the idea, but never found myself in a position to play until I was doing my MA. Took a course on war gaming where 100% of the grade was based on a historical war game I had to create from scratch. Free reign, I could have done any scope, scale, period, whatever. We had people making games from the Romans to modern Turk-Greek conflict on Cyprus. Quite cool, looking back....

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by cowfish13 View Post
    My modern day tactical games includes Civ V
    With the greatest respect....Civilization is not a tactical game, it is a strategic game. The words are not interchangeable. The way I try to explain it is:

    Tactics wins battles
    Operations wins campaigns
    Strategy wins wars




    [Sorry if you already knew that]

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    So limited number of historical war game players out there, then? Interesting. I must be a bigger oddball than I thought...
    My early days of computer strategy games include a series that started with Arnhem, moved to Desert Rats, and then Vulcan, all second war turn based games, and all done by a fellow called R. T. Smith for the ZX Spectrum. He also did "Ancient Battles", i believe, which had no campaign, but a series of battles with armies since Early Egyptians to Late Imperial Rome, including Darius, Alexander, Philip of Macedonia, you name it. I think it even included early Indian armies. Much later i learned R.T. Smith was working with Creative Assembly on the Total War series.
    Later on the PC i also played The Operational Art of War, but i guess i'm not enough of a grognard for that... I was useless at it.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    339
    Oh, whoops, forgot....not sure if this counts but DIPLOMACY!

    [Sorry for the multiple posts!]

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    Pools of Radiance
    Dark Queen of Krynn
    Master of the Orion
    Master of the Orion 2
    Xcom

    nuff said.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    157
    I was one of the people that played Super Smash Bros. Melee, got introduced to Marth and Roy, and played Fire Emblem 7 when Nintendo localized it.

  10. #90
    First one was Heroes of Might and Magic 2, love that game

  11. #91
    Age of Wonders

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6
    Greetings, first post.

    So I started playing these turn based things as a kid (all the classic board games like risk and monopoly), but was fortunate enough to go through my teen years right about the time computers were making their way from the arcade to the living room.

    My first "PC" was an Atari 400, I think it had all of 16k of RAM; basically a console game with a cartridge slot built into the top of a membrane keyboard. The first two games I bought for it were Pac Man (cartridge) and Temple of Apshai (cassette).

    As time went by and the technology improved, I upgraded to the Atari ST (still have fond memories) and I guess my first 'turn based strategy games' were M.U.L.E. (a forgotten classic!), Colonial Conquest (similar to Risk and Europa Universalis), and classic Empire (sort of an ancestor of Civilization 1).

    I've played just about everything turn-based that's ever been released for PCs since then, but the ones that stand out fondest in my memory are ones most have already mentioned:

    Master of Magic
    Master of Orion (I and II) (still play M002 after all these years!)
    the Civilization Series and SMAC
    the Heroes of Might and Magic Series
    All of the Fallout games
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Silent Storm
    the UFO/XCOM series

    I am beyond ecstatic that Firaxis took the plunge in recreating XCOM, and I look forward to playing it soon.

    Now I just wish someone would reboot MOM and SMAC too..


    -Elgalad

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Geewhizz View Post
    I got started with old BBS TB games really. VGA planets, LoD, etc. Then I got my hands on the old floppy disk demo of Xcom and was hooked pretty much immediately.
    I ran a couple different BBS's back in the days of 1200 baud modems (actually the first one was on a 300 baud modem), and "doors" as they were called dropped the BBS routine into a game, some of which you mention. Good times. Fido-net and BBS's were the internet back then.

    But before even that, I dialed into the UT mainframe and played Star Trek (well, that and of course colossal cave), a turn based game on a dial up that actually required you to put the phone into a hand set holder a la wargames, and the display, get this, was a dot matrix printer that pushed out paper like 3 feet wide. That was so old school we didn't even have a green screen display. And programming at UT at the time was done on punch cards.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkrause84 View Post
    With the greatest respect....Civilization is not a tactical game, it is a strategic game. The words are not interchangeable. The way I try to explain it is:

    Tactics wins battles
    Operations wins campaigns
    Strategy wins wars




    [Sorry if you already knew that]
    Civ V is has a tactical battle layer. The exterminate in the 4x genre. I tend to always get in a war in Civ V while ending the game peacefully and I also like combat scenario maps too.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    477
    Shogun...not the video game, the board game original 1st ED
    Axis And Allies
    Europen Front
    Pacific Front
    Fortress America
    Dungeon
    Warhammer 40K 2nd and 3rd ED
    and dozens of other board games I cant remember the names of
    dozens of early Nes strat games too

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    57
    Does anyone recall the game CENTURION??? It was awesome!!! That and civ 1 hooked me on tbs for life.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgalad View Post
    Greetings, first post.

    So I started playing these turn based things as a kid (all the classic board games like risk and monopoly), but was fortunate enough to go through my teen years right about the time computers were making their way from the arcade to the living room.

    My first "PC" was an Atari 400, I think it had all of 16k of RAM; basically a console game with a cartridge slot built into the top of a membrane keyboard. The first two games I bought for it were Pac Man (cartridge) and Temple of Apshai (cassette).

    As time went by and the technology improved, I upgraded to the Atari ST (still have fond memories) and I guess my first 'turn based strategy games' were M.U.L.E. (a forgotten classic!), Colonial Conquest (similar to Risk and Europa Universalis), and classic Empire (sort of an ancestor of Civilization 1).

    I've played just about everything turn-based that's ever been released for PCs since then, but the ones that stand out fondest in my memory are ones most have already mentioned:

    Master of Magic
    Master of Orion (I and II) (still play M002 after all these years!)
    the Civilization Series and SMAC
    the Heroes of Might and Magic Series
    All of the Fallout games
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Silent Storm
    the UFO/XCOM series

    I am beyond ecstatic that Firaxis took the plunge in recreating XCOM, and I look forward to playing it soon.

    Now I just wish someone would reboot MOM and SMAC too..


    -Elgalad

    I loved all those series as well as the Warlords series.. Warlords 2 Deluxe with 4 people doing hotseat. That alone reminds me of Scorched Earth back in the day.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkrause84 View Post
    When I was in high school I had read a Smithsonian article about war gaming and LOVED the idea, but never found myself in a position to play until I was doing my MA. Took a course on war gaming where 100% of the grade was based on a historical war game I had to create from scratch. Free reign, I could have done any scope, scale, period, whatever. We had people making games from the Romans to modern Turk-Greek conflict on Cyprus. Quite cool, looking back....
    In college in the late '60's I did a WW2 Operational level war game for the Italian theater as a History project. Map was the size of half a ping pong table... Passed the class with flying colors.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgalad View Post
    Greetings, first post.

    So I started playing these turn based things as a kid (all the classic board games like risk and monopoly), but was fortunate enough to go through my teen years right about the time computers were making their way from the arcade to the living room.

    My first "PC" was an Atari 400, I think it had all of 16k of RAM; basically a console game with a cartridge slot built into the top of a membrane keyboard. The first two games I bought for it were Pac Man (cartridge) and Temple of Apshai (cassette).

    As time went by and the technology improved, I upgraded to the Atari ST (still have fond memories) and I guess my first 'turn based strategy games' were M.U.L.E. (a forgotten classic!), Colonial Conquest (similar to Risk and Europa Universalis), and classic Empire (sort of an ancestor of Civilization 1).

    I've played just about everything turn-based that's ever been released for PCs since then, but the ones that stand out fondest in my memory are ones most have already mentioned:

    Master of Magic
    Master of Orion (I and II) (still play M002 after all these years!)
    the Civilization Series and SMAC
    the Heroes of Might and Magic Series
    All of the Fallout games
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Silent Storm
    the UFO/XCOM series

    I am beyond ecstatic that Firaxis took the plunge in recreating XCOM, and I look forward to playing it soon.

    Now I just wish someone would reboot MOM and SMAC too..


    -Elgalad
    Welcome to the forum! You and I share a love for MOM and SMAC. Cool! Some classics still deserve some love, I hope they get it, done right some day.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lancaster PA, USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by 3asytarg3t View Post
    I ran a couple different BBS's back in the days of 1200 baud modems (actually the first one was on a 300 baud modem), and "doors" as they were called dropped the BBS routine into a game, some of which you mention. Good times. Fido-net and BBS's were the internet back then.

    But before even that, I dialed into the UT mainframe and played Star Trek (well, that and of course colossal cave), a turn based game on a dial up that actually required you to put the phone into a hand set holder a la wargames, and the display, get this, was a dot matrix printer that pushed out paper like 3 feet wide. That was so old school we didn't even have a green screen display. And programming at UT at the time was done on punch cards.
    I was a junior in high school and my friends and I would go to the local university library and play that Star Trek game. We used a lot of their paper lol.

  21. #101
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    x-com certified apple orchard
    Posts
    2,291
    xcom. heck i didnt even have my own pc back then, just played @ a friends house...

  22. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    At one point in the early 90's I owned a 26' motor home. I put my desktop PC in it when i went on vacation and would run the generator or plug into the campground power to be able to play my games. No laptops then, nosirree...

  23. #103
    Either Final Fantasy 7 which i dont really regard as a "tbs" per se' or possibly fallout 1,2 and tactics?

    I unfortunately missed out on the original xcom

  24. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by telljer View Post
    I was a junior in high school and my friends and I would go to the local university library and play that Star Trek game. We used a lot of their paper lol.
    Yeah, that was amusing wasn't it? I burned reams of it from my High School at the time, and more than a few times got locked in the school and forced to track down the janitor to let me out. Man it was fun to be at the front end of a whole new thing, hooked for life.

  25. #105
    WOW Steelsky you mentioned Millenium 2.2 and Dueteros thats bringing back some memories

  26. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    So many great games mentioned! I'm making a list to look up some I haven't heard of :-)

    I played a lot of Risk and chess when I was young, and then when I got my first computer at age 13, the original XCOM was the second game I ever bought for it, and I fell head over heels. Went on to play:
    TFTD
    Fallout 1 & 2
    Empire of the Fading Suns
    The whole Heroes of Might & Magic series
    Disciples I & II (such great art in both of those)
    Jagged Alliance 2
    XCOM Apocalypse

    I still play many of those from time to time, and there have been such marvelous community mods opening up the experience for Fallout 1 & 2 and particularly Jagged Alliance 2. The 1.13 mod for JA2 is amazing, adding a lot of options and realism to an already fun squad-based tactical game with a larger strategy overlay.

    While I've enjoyed other sorts of games (Baldurs Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Planescape: Torment, the Half-life series, Starcraft, Diablo, Torchlight), there's something deeply satisfying about TBS/T to me - the analysis, the precision, the thoughtfulness :-)

    It's a delight to read about what you all enjoy about these games and XCOM in particular. I look forward to getting the opportunity to play some of you all in multiplayer!

  27. #107
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    543
    Checkers.

    Really, board games, even basic ones, are always things I have loved. They are very often turn based.

    Now, if you mean turn based squad tactical games? That's different.

  28. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Empire of the Fading Suns...boy, there's a title I had not heard nor thought of for years... Owned it, played it a bit but it did not leave a mark on me.

    A bit surprised that no one has mentioned Panzer General or its offspring yet...I play the modern version, Panzer Corps, but can't say it is my favorite game in the genre.

  29. #109
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkrause84 View Post
    Oh, whoops, forgot....not sure if this counts but DIPLOMACY!

    [Sorry for the multiple posts!]
    GREAT GAME...!!! Even though a majority of our games came to a conclusion not by an actual winning per say... but by the I inevitable fistfight that would ensue from one person feeling like they got screwed over a little to much. NOW THATS GREAT FOREIGN POLICY AT WORK!!!

  30. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    If that's the same Diplomacy game as I tried, it had a horrible interface and was very shaky, crashing often. But the one I'm talking about was released at least 10-12 years ago, so it may be a different one from what you recall.

  31. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
    Posts
    590
    I consider chess as TBS.

    Boards games such as Risk and Axis and Allies, and Civilization.

    I had a VIC-20 and was copying codes from Computte Gazette and modifying them, and self taught writing Basic. I wanted to write my own database look up tool for Dungeon Master; some form of DM AI that would spit out random encounters, and a bunch of simulation fights in text. Then to Commodore 64. And eventually every built my own computers from 8088 cpu all the way to the Pentium era.

    I also played "paid" Play By Mail which is a simulation Arena. I fill out a grid of moves based on conditions, then snail mail it. Players will send their stuff too, and then the company runs the simulation and mails the results. Quite entertaining pre-modem era.

    I also played some games via BBS dial up. Trade Wars 2002 mostly.

    Early PC games I liked were SSI Gold Boxes: Pools of Radiance series, something Sun (Shattered Sun?), DragonLance. I also played so much Bard's Tale I that my monochrome monitor had permanent burn marks of the Bard's Tale UI.

    Then I got into Wizardry, and Eye of the Beholder series. Then I got lost into the Bard's Tale Construction set too making my own maps and encounters and stories.

    SSI Buck Rogers was pretty good that I got *after* college, and the paper back book that came with it got me interested in reading sci-fi. Played Civilization I too as well as XCOM.

    Got into RTS too, all of WarCraft I, II, III--and eventually the DOTA map. Command and Conquer series. Some of the Total Anhiliation. Not much into StarCraft though.

    Then I got into MMO with EverQuest I, then II. Then tried pretty much every other MMO in between EQ until World of Warcraft until the expansion before they raised level up to 80. Last MMO I played was Rift.

    I just play some occasional DOTA Map, and a bunch of Facebook apps. Last PC game I got was Diablo 3.

    This new XCOM got me excited, so I think I know what you mean about that feeling just like the old days.

  32. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    It's clear to me that there are some hardcore old-timers here, if not in age, at least in terms of experience with gaming in all its variety, and some with quite a bit of time behind a monitor. It is interesting that so many of you have a background or preference for fantasy, which seems to be a very common thread, as apart from strictly sci-fi. Funny how many roads and paths converge here.

  33. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Leandro, CA
    Posts
    84
    Because I'm 56 years old I just don't have the quickness of younger players. When I took an 11 year old and some of his friends to play paintball a few years ago, it was a slaughter with me being the slaughtee("There he is, get him!"). I simply can't keep up in a real time multiplayer environment where quickness is everything. Because of that I've been restricted to single player games. Turn based will finally give me a fighting chance in multiplayer.

  34. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    @BroDragon: What sort of games do you like most? Which genre or theme?

  35. #115
    X-Com, Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, and JRPGs, which are turn-based after a fashion. I remember my dad and I had to go up to his office to find computers capable of running X-Com very well. Reading high fantasy and cutting my teeth on AD&D as a young kid before growing into 3, 3.5, 4e, PF, and M&M certainly cemented the deal, though. Now, most of my turn-based stuff is accomplished on a table in games like Titan and d20 RPGs.

    Oh, to be young again. And also a robot.

  36. #116
    The game that made me fall in love with turn based games? Shining Force II. I was just a little kid then.

  37. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Leandro, CA
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    @BroDragon: What sort of games do you like most? Which genre or theme?
    When I started 24 years ago I was in a very bad place and I would go home, get hammered and play Gunship until I had destroyed yet another joystick. Later I had a girlfriend with a young son(the paintball player) and he and I would play all sorts including the original XCOM, also Dune, C&C, Comanche and Master of Orion, kind of a second childhood for me. Later I enjoyed CIV3(a CIVfanatic), Alpha Centauri, Half-life, Starcraft and Freelancer. More recently I've been into Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age.

  38. #118
    chess
    civilization 2
    boardgames in general

  39. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    Welcome to the forum! You and I share a love for MOM and SMAC. Cool! Some classics still deserve some love, I hope they get it, done right some day.
    Oh yeah, I played some MOM, MOO, Might and Magic, Warlords, and King's Bounty.


    Quote Originally Posted by gunnergoz View Post
    It's clear to me that there are some hardcore old-timers here, if not in age, at least in terms of experience with gaming in all its variety, and some with quite a bit of time behind a monitor. It is interesting that so many of you have a background or preference for fantasy, which seems to be a very common thread, as apart from strictly sci-fi. Funny how many roads and paths converge here.
    I think the Dungeons and Dragons was a huge influence that lead to many PC games.

    I also got into miniatures, but only really got to play in Gaming conventions at the LAX Hyatt. Dabbled into War Hammer, and off shoots of Star Wars miniatures. I did put a lot of money into Mech Warrior miniatures and got to play more (face to face) gaming sessions with many players. I think I have a toolbox full of Mech Warrior miniatures (made of lead) and not just the pewter variety.

    This also got me into playing the Mech Warrior series, one was an RTS, and the rest were simulation type.

    I did not get much into FPS. Doom and Hexen and Spear of Destiny and Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem will usually give me a headache after playing an hour.

  40. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sandy Ego, California
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by BroDragon View Post
    When I started 24 years ago I was in a very bad place and I would go home, get hammered and play Gunship until I had destroyed yet another joystick. Later I had a girlfriend with a young son(the paintball player) and he and I would play all sorts including the original XCOM, also Dune, C&C, Comanche and Master of Orion, kind of a second childhood for me. Later I enjoyed CIV3(a CIVfanatic), Alpha Centauri, Half-life, Starcraft and Freelancer. More recently I've been into Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age.
    A lot of familiar titles there, many of which gave me hours of fun too. By comparison my gaming interest has stayed closer to my military origins, with some site trips to 4X and empire building of course. I even tried the Sims at one point, but it did not sit well with me, being basically a digital voyeurism simulator.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •