Thread: BioShock, failed to initialize games data..?

BioShock, failed to initialize games data..?

I'm running BioShock, or rather attempting to run it on Vista 64. When I launch the program it fails, returning an error message stating that the game failed to initialize the game documents.

As far as I understand, BioShock places player profile and game configuration files/data like other games do upon first time application execution, into your My Documents folder. That was very common in XP, when \My Games folder was not used.

Games still use the My Documents folder in Vista, at least the older ones do.
    I have no UAC or administration issues in my Vista, however I have a feeling BioShock is attempting to create those profile/configuration folders and it's getting denied access somewhere in the pipelines.

If someone could please give me a screenshot or a detailed description of the folder tree for the game's entry in My Documents folder, then I might be able to mimic it, and/or know which files I need to place in order to trick the game into thinking it's been run before.

The game will use on vista C:\User\"account name"\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock
    There will be bioshock.ini and user.ini , 2 sub folder SaveGames and MEMORY\CurrentGame

Can you confirm if it is the DVD release or the downloadable version
    Last edited by Tech JT; 10-18-2007 at 04:51 PM.

C:\User\"account name"\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock

Hmm, interesting place for it.

So I'm looking at bioshock.ini and user.ini in the root;
    SaveGames folder
    and
    Memory\CurrentGame folder(s)

It's DVD

Ack, how do you edit posts ?

To clarify the error message is : "Failed to create GameExplorer object"

And yet another:

Couldn't get a hit on my search earlier for that term, but it worked this time.

Found the thread :

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7262

I had feared it was related to the Games Explorer. Yet, I haven't found a way to integrate it...seeing that word a lot, as if to suggest you can download or strip it off the disc?

I'm really not interested in reinstalling the O/S just for this game.

I was wondering if you could just running the game under Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode

Right, ok..

I remembered just a minute ago that while snooping around Vista's folder(s) layout, I came across Program Data>Microsoft>Windows>GameExplorer
    and I thought hmm, well I have no 'installed' Games Explorer, there's no GUI for it, so why is this folder tree here? I thought it might just be an imprint written by default just to keep the OS from complaining.

However it turns out, if you look in the folder you'll find sub-folders titled with (if not) something similar to a registry entry. If you open them up, you'll find the folders:

"Playtasks"
    "Supportasks"

Open the Playtasks and you may see a "0" or "1" sub-folder.
    From what it seems, the 0 is for native game (based on current OS) version, and the 1 is for compatibility/dx9 version.

In either you will find a "Play" executable, with an icon of the game.

From running that executable, the game should launch without errors(provided nothing ELSE is wrong).

So, we can confirm that running (this may not be true of all games) BioShock from the shortcuts both start menu and/or desktop, will fail, if you had not installed the Games Explorer. However, browsing to the above mentioned location will work.

I'm going to continue playing and see if anything rears it's ugly head, but I think it's safe to assume this is a solid work around.

We are glad to see you have so far resolved the issue.

Hopefully everything should be ok from there. However if you do experience more problems please feel free to post them to us.