Thread: How to change Difficulty Settings here...

Smile How to change Difficulty Settings here...

Hi guys,

I'm new here but I've been lurking these forums for a few weeks now. I've discovered how to change the difficulty and want to share with everyone!

Just go to the XCOM demo steam install folder (\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config).

And then open "BaseGame.ini" with notepad, edit the line "GameDifficulty=+0.0" change this to "GameDifficulty=+3.0"

I believe 3.0 is classic mode. I actually failed the mission by getting my squad all killed!

Note: You must edit the ini file in the steam install folder and not the one in my documents folder, otherwise it will not work.

Hoping someone finds a way to skip the first tutorial mission!

Can't wait for the full game to come out oOMMGGGG!!! Have fun guys!

Sweet, cheers mate. When the thing is finally in and ready to play I will play it once on normal and this will be the first thing I change for the 2nd play through

I wonder, if 3.0 is not impossible.
    0.0 easy
    1.0 normal
    2.0 classic
    3.0 impossible

That would explain why you got killed

Have you tried what happens when you put in 4.0?

So we've played the demo on Beginner. No wonder it was not a challenge.

I havn't tried 4.0 yet, I'm still playing after that fail. It lets your restart the map straight away, so I'm actually playing it with actual tactics and strategy this time.

It's so much more engaging and so much more playable! Let me know if you have tried 4.0, but I think your right, 0.0 = easy.

As far as I could tell, they lowered my squad's health points whilst boosting the enemy aliens. On the second try, I managed to complete the mission but one of my soldiers died to a one shot kill at the hands of a floater.

Enemy AI is also smarter and fog of war is turned up to a higher degree.

These are some differences I have noticed in the difficulty settings. Let us know if you find anymore differences I might have missed.

Ohhh nice find.... they really should've included that feature in the demo to give a broader perspective! Modders for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by telljer View Post
    So we've played the demo on Beginner. No wonder it was not a challenge.
    It makes sense. Thin man hitting for 2 damage with a plasma rifle isn't possible on normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorgrim View Post
    I wonder, if 3.0 is not impossible.
    0.0 easy
    1.0 normal
    2.0 classic
    3.0 impossible

That would explain why you got killed

Have you tried what happens when you put in 4.0?
    I am pretty sure that 3.0 is impossible, because I have read that "easy" buffs our guys by a hitpoint, while "impossible" buffs them.
    Still haven't tried what happens if we put in 4.0.

Mission result on 3.0:
    1 killed, actually due to my inability to open a door quietly.

I don't get that, they say, press "v" or left mouse button to open a door. I have yet to find out how to open the door with the mouse without walking through it. And for some reason, pressing "v" sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

So, I accidentally opened the door to the thin men by walking thorugh it and stood in the open without actions left not healty.
    Throwing a smoke grenade did not save my guy. Was a desparate attemt anyway.

Next turn I finished both thin men with a single rocket.
    Also, the first sectoids mind merged and I could get a two-for-one... although my first three guys missed their 50%, 55% and 60% shots.

Generally speaking, so much more fun on that difficulty because I got to use all the available abilities.

In a real mission it would have been much harder, though because we would have faced more aliens.

I don't get that, they say, press "v" or left mouse button to open a door. I have yet to find out how to open the door with the mouse without walking through it. And for some reason, pressing "v" sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.
    I had the same problem... V is not always working. However, just left-clicking on the door seems to open it without using any moves, as opposed to right-clicking to move..

I wonder if we can close the door again if we find that what we discovered on the other side was more worth running from than gunning at.

Very nice. Thanks.
    That really did make a huge difference.
    After taking out the sectoid I didn't think it did and so started dashing my guys forward, not thinking much of the difficulty.
    Haha. The floaters wiped out all but one of them. The AI was Much better. My sniper perch on the top of the roof quickly became a death trap when one of them used its special ability to fly over there. Sniper rifle's no good at short range and the rest of the squad couldn't assist. (I should have run, I know ) Then the other floater flanked and killed one man. I managed to kill them losing one more character, but the process was fun. I ran into an enemy flank and when I threw a smoke bomb at one point the floater ran to it to use it as cover as well. Alas, my single surviving support solider had no luck against the Thin Men.
    Reload went much better, but still lost my heavy. Very Nice
    I was surprised enemy number didn't change though. I wonder if that's just the demo...?

I'm not sure that +3 isn't Impossible difficulty (just because I'd assume +1 is normal), but I didn't see an obvious way to skip the tutorial and I'm not willing to play through it again to find out I'm afraid.
    Thanks though. That was much more fun. At least I was paying less attention to the painful camera and obnoxious building cutaways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermist View Post
    I wonder if we can close the door again if we find that what we discovered on the other side was more worth running from than gunning at.
    LOL, I like the way you think!

Generally speaking, so much more fun on that difficulty because I got to use all the available abilities.

In a real mission it would have been much harder, though because we would have faced more aliens.
    Run and Gun is my confirmed favorite ability, btw!
    100% to hit chance, 80% critical (which I'll find ways to raise later). Yes Please!

Quote Originally Posted by telljer View Post
    I also had problems with the 'v' to open doors. I think it worked once out of 4 attempts. Left clicking does work and will not move your unit.
    Ditto. 'v' inconsistently worked.
    Anyone else surprised that opening a door quietly was a free action BTW? I'm not really sure why we wouldn't do that then...

thx for the info on the difficulty change, gonna try it out now

I also had problems with the 'v' to open doors. I think it worked once out of 4 attempts. Left clicking does work and will not move your unit.

Don't bother with +4.0, I'm guessing it only goes up to +3 = impossible. As was mentioned in early post and because I also assumed +0.0=normal. Forgot to factor in easy mode lol.

I think "V" only owrks if you're beside the door, not if ou're in front of it.

Ive had no problems with opening the doors with either left click or v, but each time i have been against the wall beside it before i tried opening it. Think thats 6 runs through now.

Very cool! Should give me a few more play's on the demo anyways.

Made a huge difference. I lost 2 men only because I wanted to. Other wise I did fine. I'll play through again. BIGGEST difference was that China started at 2/5 panic and when I did America(4 scientist vs $200, I mean really lol) China jumped to 5/5 panic from 2/5 due to that one abduction mission o.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantkr View Post
    Made a huge difference. I lost 2 men only because I wanted to. Other wise I did fine. I'll play through again. BIGGEST difference was that China started at 2/5 panic and when I did America(4 scientist vs $200, I mean really lol) China jumped to 5/5 panic from 2/5 due to that one abduction mission o.0.
    Thanks for pointing this out, looks like strategic layer will be MUCH harder too.

For a moment I was planning to go Impossible difficulty with Iron Man mode on for my first playthrough when the game comes out.
    Because I was thinking it wasn't really that hard in combat using impossible mode, maybe due to being a tutorial mission.
    But when you combine the strategic layer with the combat, then it really does become impossible!

We will have to wait to find out how really hard it can be in 2 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by cmfreak View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm new here but I've been lurking these forums for a few weeks now. I've discovered how to change the difficulty and want to share with everyone!

Just go to the XCOM demo steam install folder (\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config).

And then open "BaseGame.ini" with notepad, edit the line "GameDifficulty=+0.0" change this to "GameDifficulty=+3.0"

I believe 3.0 is classic mode. I actually failed the mission by getting my squad all killed!

Note: You must edit the ini file in the steam install folder and not the one in my documents folder, otherwise it will not work.

Hoping someone finds a way to skip the first tutorial mission!

Can't wait for the full game to come out oOMMGGGG!!! Have fun guys!
    Much thanks for this.

Impossible difficulty only lets you get 4 units? The pre-mission screen didn't show the locked slots...

Impossible mode is still a bit easy, I think because the number of units is locked, but it's more fun for sure. Had to actually plan to make sure units weren't killed.

Protip: Once you've killed all but one enemy let them cleanup the rest of your troops so you can replay the mission without having to do the really slow tutorial one first.
    Last edited by lamaros; 09-24-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lamaros View Post
    Impossible mode is still a bit easy, I think because the number of units is locked, but it's more fun for sure. Had to actually plan to make sure units weren't killed.

Protip: Once you've killed all but one enemy let them cleanup the rest of your troops so you can reply the mission without having to do the really slow tutorial one first.
    You can edit how many troops you have, but you only get an extra rookie. You can out ghost armor on the normal armor (there's another guy who's mucking around with the config files its pretty cool what they found) so this should be fun for those tech-savvy people out there.

Love the protip, keeping that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumajin View Post
    You can edit how many troops you have, but you only get an extra rookie. You can out ghost armor on the normal armor (there's another guy who's mucking around with the config files its pretty cool what they found) so this should be fun for those tech-savvy people out there.

I just mean for the final game - it looks like Impossible will restrict you to a 4 man squad.

So far I've played through it about 3 times using the tip I posted above. I lost a guy the first game when I forgot to put my sniper back on his sniper rifle, so he was doing overwatch with the pistol... pistol can't take out a floater, even a damaged one (only did one damage).

The second time through it was a bit smoother, none lost.

Last time through I lost a guy again, a nasty low odds long range shot from a thin man taking out my assault guy.

Looks like a promising difficulty level, especially if the enemy numbers are upped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumajin View Post

Do you know where those edits are? Also is there a way to change how many aliens there are?

Only lost one soldier on Impossible, that's pretty good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cmfreak View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, looks like strategic layer will be MUCH harder too.

For a moment I was planning to go Impossible difficulty with Iron Man mode on for my first playthrough when the game comes out.
    Because I was thinking it wasn't really that hard in combat using impossible mode, maybe due to being a tutorial mission.
    But when you combine the strategic layer with the combat, then it really does become impossible!

We will have to wait to find out how really hard it can be in 2 weeks!
    Just did the same thing except did the china mission. Same thing. Panic level jumps by 3! JEEEEEZ

Quote Originally Posted by lamaros View Post
    I just mean for the final game - it looks like Impossible will restrict you to a 4 man squad.
    Actually, I think that's just because Easy (0)/Normal (1) start you with the Officer Training School and Classic (2)/Impossible (3) don't.

Anyway, upping the difficulty definitely made it more fun. I actually lost a soldier on classic difficulty (Thin Man 1-shotted my support, who was behind full cover on one side of the door, from one of the back windows of the building.)

Edited the file to set it to impossible, but haven't played it yet.

Some notes on impossible: Units have less health (about 2 points it appears), Enemy units have more health (almost double), you get about half funding per month, and if you complete the usa mission china panics.

Quote Originally Posted by 8472ofborg View Post
    Some notes on impossible: Units have less health (about 2 points it appears), Enemy units have more health (almost double), you get about half funding per month, and if you complete the usa mission china panics.
    Rookies start with 3 hp and has a +1 hp modifier, totaling 4 hp.

Huh, so demo is on easy? That explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by eskr View Post
    Anyone else surprised that opening a door quietly was a free action BTW? I'm not really sure why we wouldn't do that then...
    You have to stand/stop at the door to open it quietly - if you are on the move/have to hurry youŽll kick it open.
    So move - opening - move or move - opening - action versus move - kick - move the rest - action.

Anyone any idea how to increase the number of aliens in the demo?

wow, that was actually a bit harder than I expected, lost 2 units. A thin man did something I wasnt expecting, jumped ontop of the roof and flanked me.