Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modding the Demo

Modding the Demo

Since the demo is fairly short we weren't able to see a lot of the cool features that we've been wanting. However thanks to the nice open format that the games config files were made using all is not lost because we can tweak our way to a better tomorrow. Since not everyone is familiar with how to work with these, and most people just want to play with the higher end tools here's a version of the game core with cloaking hooks and flight without requiring the specialized equipment. It should be noted that the lack of animations for these features can make things slightly amusing. Remember only wimps need a jetpack, real men run on air.

Note: It is normally impossible to have both stealth and flight, but in this case Kevlar is given some truly amazing properties.

chimeragames.org/xcom/defaultgamecore.ini
    chimeragames.org/xcom/defaultgamedata.ini

How to install it:

1. Make sure XCOM is not running

2. Download the files and overwrite the versions found at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\XComGame\Config"

3. If you launched the game already delete the Config folder found in the folder "%userprofile%\documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown Demo\XComGame"

4. Launch XCOM, it will write a new config file in your documents folder with the tweaked alien, weapon and armor information.

5. Enjoy, and pat the devs on the back for the delayed alien death scenes in the initial tutorial

How to Change the Difficulty (this does not spawn more enemies unfortunately, but it does make them smarter):

1. Open up "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config\BaseGame.ini" in notepad or a similar text editor
    2. On line 6 change GameDifficulty=+0.0 to your desired difficulty
    a. +1.0 for normal
    b. +2.0 for classic
    c. +3.0 for impossible

To Revert Your Information:
    1. To revert back to the original right click on the demo in Steam and select properties.
    2. Go to local files and select verify.
    3. Steam will redownload the original ini file
    4. Delete your modified config folder in "%userprofile%\documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown Demo\XComGame"
    5. Launch the demo again and everything will be as it was

[edit]
    Thanks to Xorgrim for pointing out how to change the difficulty the right way instead of what I was originally doing.
    [/edit]

[edit]
    To make it easier for new people to find all of the information you need to sectoid commanders instead of sectoids is listed in this post now.
    [/edit]

[edit]
    For those who are truly crazy use these files instead of the two listed above

Okay I think I have it stable now. This one actually has proper replacements for all groups including the weapons.

chimeragames.org/xcom/insane/DefaultGameCore.ini
    chimeragames.org/xcom/insane/DefaultGameData.ini
    chimeragames.org/xcom/insane/DefaultLoadouts.ini

I think I fixed the stability issues, but I can't be certain. In the worst case scenario XCOM will just close on its own when an enemy tries to use an ability, but that should be fixed now. If you do have problems repair the game cache as mentioned above.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by chimeracreator; 09-25-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: New Information

You think the difficulty remains on easy if you set gameDifficulty to +3.0 from the original +0.0?

I doubt that, because it is the only thing I tweaked and aliens got more hit points, my guys had less and they played more aggressively.

The setting is in a different file, though. The BaseGame.ini in:
    \Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config

Very good call there. The AI definitely gets better on impossible and the strategic layer is crazy as well. Going the mission in the US caused China go to panic level 5 immediately. Based on the world panic level on easy and normal starts at 0, on classic (labeled hard) it starts at 8 and on impossible (labeled classic) it starts at 16. On every difficulty under impossible a successful abduction raises panic by 1, but on impossible it raises it by 2. On every difficulty thwarting it drops panic by 3.

I'll replace the ini I uploaded with one that doesn't tweak the alien stats as switching difficulty will do that automatically and make them a lot smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by chimeracreator View Post
    How to Change the Difficulty (this does not spawn more enemies unfortunately, but it does make them smarter):

1. Open up "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config\BaseGame.ini" in notepad or a similar text editor
    2. On line 6 change GameDifficulty=+0.0 to your desired difficulty
    a. +1.0 for normal
    b. +2.0 for classic
    c. +3.0 for impossible

Thank! I will try this when I get home. My only gripes of the Demo was it's too short (1 more mission needed IMO) and need/want to see how the other difficulties are (atleast up to classic).

hm, I liked what you did originally. My thinking was to combine the difficulty with altered stats. Hopefully, that would be a real challenge

BTW, I can't take credit for the difficulty finding. I just read it in the other thread mentioned above.
    I do appreciate however, that you prepare ready made packages in this thread. And I think, we could add more here, with a variety of settings.

So maybe you could prepare a zip file which would extract both files to the correct folders, in order to have a one-click solution?

I can't see a good way to switch up models and the like unfortunately, but it is possible to give aliens each other's stats and abilities, but again the graphics get messed up. On a related note fighting sectoids that are given the stats of mutons is utterly brutal on impossible. I will see if I can smooth it out and upload it. My first attempt with them didn't have them use any of their special abilities, but my troops didn't last long enough for it to matter as all four of them only managed to kill one of the two and that was more due to luck than anything else.

well, I wouldn't really be interested in seeing sectoids with muton stats. However, having sectoid commanders instead of sectoids, that would be cool.
    Maybe we can get heavy floaters instead of floaters?

At the moment I'm testing one with muton sectoids, heavy floater floaters and chryssalid thin men. I have no clue if it's going to work, but I'll be doing it on normal with a squad of 6 just to give myself a fighting chance.

If it works, please post it.

Looks like I got the models working, but I set it to impossible by mistake. The trick is to change the pawn time in the DefaultGameData.ini, I will post more once I lose horribly.

Well looks like I crashed it once one of the Mutons took cover, but that might be because I messed up the cover animations or the like. I will look into what I did wrong before posting anything more.
    Last edited by chimeracreator; 09-25-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Bugs

Very very cool! Keep us posted!

I've been deep in the INI-files looking for a way to have the demo not end after the second mission but no such luck yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Very very cool! Keep us posted!

I've been deep in the INI-files looking for a way to have the demo not end after the second mission but no such luck yet.
    Careful there, any attempt to break the mission lock in the demo counts as an attempt to bypass DRM and is thus a violation of the DMCA. Best to keep on a white hat when it comes to this sort of things.

Well, Ghost Mode and Flight are awesome, even if the latter takes a bit of trial and error to get right. But Grapple doesn't quite work as it should in this mod though, you only get an assault rifle firing animation, then the character glitches.

Awesome mod though

Anyone figured out how to skip the first mission? Kinda annoying to have to go through that before playing the game.

Anyone figure out how to add more aliens? Would love to double or triple the amount.

Sadly I don't think anyone has managed to sort out exactly where the information for the mission spawns is. At this point I need to start looking for it again as some special abilities are tied to the pawn type, which can't be changed without risking a game crash when enemies use special abilities that the character type doesn't normally have access to (even if they are granted that ability with the mod), but that the pawn type does.

tbph the demo plays best set at classic or i,possible but using the standard equipment.. it could just do with a couple more aliens.

Yep bringing the squad size to 6 doesn't make it any more fun with only two aliens at a time, but for testing purposes it helps at the moment because it helps ensure that I can push through each group quickly to make sure the next group of two works correctly. Once I can stabilize it, or just give up, I will update the ini file to give nastier aliens.

You should look into ranking up your squaddies too

Is there possibility to mod the patrol behavior of the aliens in the demo? I'm not sure if its only because we are basically seeing part of the tutorial missions in the demo and they are scripted or not, (I hope random patrols are still in) but it would be nice to see in the demo aliens that actually patrol and look for XCOM agents. They seem to remain in the same spot each time I play.

Interesting finds:

; Country Funding Amounts
    FundingAmounts=180 ;USA
    FundingAmounts=150 ;Russia
    FundingAmounts=100 ;China
    FundingAmounts=100 ;UK
    FundingAmounts=100 ;Germany
    FundingAmounts=80 ;France
    FundingAmounts=100 ;Japan
    FundingAmounts=60 ;India
    FundingAmounts=60 ;Australia
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Italy
    FundingAmounts=0 ;SouthKorea
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Turkey
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Indonesia
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Spain
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Pakistan
    FundingAmounts=100 ;Canada
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Iran
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Israel
    FundingAmounts=70 ;Egypt
    FundingAmounts=80 ;Brazil
    FundingAmounts=70 ;Argentina
    FundingAmounts=50 ;Mexico
    FundingAmounts=80 ;SouthAfrica
    FundingAmounts=0 ;SaudiArabia
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Ukraine
    FundingAmounts=100 ;Nigeria
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Venezuela
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Greece
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Columbia
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Portugal
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Sweden
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Ireland
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Scotland
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Norway
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Netherlands
    FundingAmounts=0 ;Belgium
    ContBalance_Easy=(eCont=eContinent_Africa, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=1, iEngineers3=3, iScientists3=2 )
    ContBalance_Easy=(eCont=eContinent_Asia, iEngineers1=2, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=3, iScientists2=0, iEngineers3=6, iScientists3=0, iEngineers4=8, iScientists4=0 )
    ContBalance_Easy=(eCont=eContinent_Europe, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=2, iEngineers2=0, iScientists2=3, iEngineers3=0, iScientists3=6, iEngineers4=0, iScientists4=8 )
    ContBalance_Easy=(eCont=eContinent_NorthAmerica, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=2, iEngineers3=4, iScientists3=4 )
    ContBalance_Easy=(eCont=eContinent_SouthAmerica, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=2 )

ContBalance_Normal=(eCont=eContinent_Africa, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=1, iEngineers3=3, iScientists3=2 )
    ContBalance_Normal=(eCont=eContinent_Asia, iEngineers1=2, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=3, iScientists2=0, iEngineers3=6, iScientists3=0, iEngineers4=8, iScientists4=0 )
    ContBalance_Normal=(eCont=eContinent_Europe, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=2, iEngineers2=0, iScientists2=3, iEngineers3=0, iScientists3=6, iEngineers4=0, iScientists4=8 )
    ContBalance_Normal=(eCont=eContinent_NorthAmerica, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=2, iEngineers3=4, iScientists3=4 )
    ContBalance_Normal=(eCont=eContinent_SouthAmerica, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=2 )

;ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_Africa, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=1, iEngineers3=3, iScientists3=2 )
    ;ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_Asia, iEngineers1=2, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=3, iScientists2=0, iEngineers3=6, iScientists3=0, iEngineers4=8, iScientists4=0 )
    ;ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_Europe, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=2, iEngineers2=0, iScientists2=3, iEngineers3=0, iScientists3=6, iEngineers4=0, iScientists4=8 )
    ;ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_NorthAmerica, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=2, iEngineers3=4, iScientists3=4 )
    ;ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_SouthAmerica, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=2 )

ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_Africa, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=1, iScientists2=1, iEngineers3=2, iScientists3=1 )
    ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_Asia, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=0, iEngineers3=3, iScientists3=0, iEngineers4=4, iScientists4=0 )
    ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_Europe, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=0, iScientists2=2, iEngineers3=0, iScientists3=3, iEngineers4=0, iScientists4=4 )
    ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_NorthAmerica, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=1, iScientists2=1, iEngineers3=1, iScientists3=2 )
    ContBalance_Hard=(eCont=eContinent_SouthAmerica, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=1, iScientists2=1 )

ContBalance_Classic=(eCont=eContinent_Africa, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=1, iScientists2=1, iEngineers3=2, iScientists3=1 )
    ContBalance_Classic=(eCont=eContinent_Asia, iEngineers1=1, iScientists1=0, iEngineers2=2, iScientists2=0, iEngineers3=3, iScientists3=0, iEngineers4=4, iScientists4=0 )
    ContBalance_Classic=(eCont=eContinent_Europe, iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=0, iScientists2=2, iEngineers3=0, iScientists3=3, iEngineers4=0, iScientists4=4 )
    ContBalance_Classic=(eCont=eContinent_NorthAmerica , iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=1, iScientists2=1, iEngineers3=1, iScientists3=2 )
    ContBalance_Classic=(eCont=eContinent_SouthAmerica , iEngineers1=0, iScientists1=1, iEngineers2=1, iScientists2=1 )
    ; Psi XP Levels (NONE, 1, 2, 3, Volunteer)
    m_iPsiXPLevels=0
    m_iPsiXPLevels=0
    m_iPsiXPLevels=50
    m_iPsiXPLevels=120
    m_iPsiXPLevels=10000000

; Soldier XP Levels (Rookie, Squaddie, Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel)
    m_iSoldierXPLevels=0
    m_iSoldierXPLevels=90
    m_iSoldierXPLevels=300
    m_iSoldierXPLevels=510
    m_iSoldierXPLevels=745
    m_iSoldierXPLevels=1100
    m_iSoldierXPLevels=1560
    m_iSoldierXPLevels=2150
    Wonder if we edit the exp levels if we can make our soldiers level up after the first mission really fast <.<;

And this scares me...

BlasterBombSpeed=500.0f
    Instant death to a squad member.... Blaster bombs might be quite a bit OP in this.

Quote Originally Posted by obi-one-kaboozi View Post
    Is there possibility to mod the patrol behavior of the aliens in the demo? I'm not sure if its only because we are basically seeing part of the tutorial missions in the demo and they are scripted or not, (I hope random patrols are still in) but it would be nice to see in the demo aliens that actually patrol and look for XCOM agents. They seem to remain in the same spot each time I play.
    its scripted to a very large degree as it is part of the (4 mission) tutorial series : URB_PierA_Rescue Tutorial 2 (Abduction) Pier

Wow, so many nations there. Probably all the nations which soldiers can come from.

But it cannot be possible to include them in the funding council, can it? The graphical elements in the situation room only allow 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorgrim View Post
    Wow, so many nations there. Probably all the nations which soldiers can come from.

But it cannot be possible to include them in the funding council, can it? The graphical elements in the situation room only allow 16.
    There are only 16 that actually fund. So it seems that the rest are just where Soldiers come from. But maybe we can do something to add more nations? No idea.

not sure why there is both UK & Scotland mind you :-0

(somebody tell them Scotland is IN the UK!)

Quote Originally Posted by Anbar View Post

Different flag?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantkr View Post
    Different flag?
    /shrugs

just seems a bit odd, like having troops from the USA and Idaho. no biggy... still picking through files, there's a lot of strategic options that can be messed with without very much effort at all, easily modded... benefits by rank to soldiers f.ex. general funding. etc

MaxActiveAIUnits=5 (interesting)

SNIPER_AIM_FALL=-2.0f

starting scientists, earlyufo chance, funding multipliers... adjacency bonuses... lots to play with

SPOILERS:

STARTING_PANIC_EASY=0
    STARTING_PANIC_NORMAL=0
    STARTING_PANIC_HARD=8
    STARTING_PANIC_CLASSIC=16

If someone is interested to change to original english voices with the available subtitles of their country. I post how to do here: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...nge-subtitles-)

It works for all available translations not just german.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbar View Post

Maybe they are future-proofing the game. We haven't seen later levels. Maybe Alex Salmond is behind it all.

Wonder if we edit the exp levels if we can make our soldiers level up after the first mission really fast <.<;
    I tried setting those soldier exp levels to 0 ,unfortunately it didn't have much of an effect on the soldiers afterwards. I really want to find the line that allows me to get a Colonel instantly, or even change the class of the surviving member.

Interesting finds:
    Those zeroes in the country list may give us a bit of a clue about what the game world was originally going to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by dannysquid View Post
    Maybe they are future-proofing the game. We haven't seen later levels. Maybe Alex Salmond is behind it all.
    Salmond is the Alien Brain. Perfect ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister A View Post
    Those zeroes in the country list may give us a bit of a clue about what the game world was originally going to look like.

Salmond is the Alien Brain. Perfect ending.
    I feel those are all of the Nations that supply troops to the program as mentioned in a video stream by the devs. They are just listed as $0.00 for coding reasons.

Instant death to a squad member.... Blaster bombs might be quite a bit OP in this.
    That information is probably meant for the actual firing speed on the blaster bomb, meaning how fast it moves in game. That stat doesn't really matter, if I am right.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    I feel those are all of the Nations that supply troops to the program as mentioned in a video stream by the devs. They are just listed as $0.00 for coding reasons.
    Bear in mind, I haven't checked this data myself, but that list seems to diverge slightly from the known list of soldier origin nations. For example, people were complaining about Turkey not contributing soldiers.

It's entirely possible that you're right, but even then, I suspect that if they had set out from the start to only include the 16 funding nations, they would use a separate reference to track those nations in another place and manage their data without getting it tied up with name generation and flag pairings, etc, since they are presumably not meaningful game entities for funding/"diplomacy" purposes at all. I can't help but think that they had initially been working with a busier Geoscape layer and we're looking at artifacts from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister A View Post
    . I can't help but think that they had initially been working with a busier Geoscape layer and we're looking at artifacts from that.
    QFT! (same here)

The playable map is SO much better on hardest difficulty. It gives a much better impression of the game.

Here's a good tweak, for fun stuff.

Modify Syranger to 6 capacity.
    Modify Rookie to have movement of 80.
    Give all aliens 10x hp.
    At Mission 2, after your Vargas see the 2 sectoids, send 2 rookies to make contact with the floaters and thin man.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    Not all of those countries supply soldiers. Mine (Portugal) is listed but there it isn't available as a soldier nationality last time I checked,

Quote Originally Posted by neuron View Post
    Anyone figured out how to skip the first mission? Kinda annoying to have to go through that before playing the game.
    +1

If you rename the movies folder inside the map Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\XComGame at least it will skip all the intro and cut-scenes.
    Last edited by KRneki; 09-25-2012 at 10:45 AM.

The updated files are now online. The new core replaces sectoids with sectoid commanders and upgrades the floaters to medium floaters, because unfortunately giving them the heavy floater pawn type crashes the game so unfortunately they won't use grenades on you. I kept thin men as they were because nothing seemed appropriate and I couldn't completely replace them with chryssalids. I also removed the grappling hook because it wasn't working correctly as a weapon and didn't want to cause any more annoyance. To use this follow the earlier instructions using the following two files:

chimeragames.org/xcom/defaultgamecore.ini
    chimeragames.org/xcom/defaultgamedata.ini

If anyone can figure out how to stop the game from crashing when pawn types other than sectoid to sectoid leader are remapped upon attack or skill animations are used let me know because it's been driving me mad. Also if anyone can figure out how to beat the two sectoid leaders with a squad of 4 guys on impossible let me know... even ghost armor and flight combined failed me.

thanks mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast