Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Demo Editor I just Made

I tired to download the new version...
    "This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I used the editor (after I had to redownload a few ini files I already modded manually to bring the demo back to vanilla in order to make the editor work) and set it so that the tutorial mission would be skipped and did a few other changes (gave my squad laser rifles for toying around). The only thing that works is the weapons bit, but it doesn't skip the tutorial. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmor View Post
    Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I used the editor (after I had to redownload a few ini files I already modded manually to bring the demo back to vanilla in order to make the editor work) and set it so that the tutorial mission would be skipped and did a few other changes (gave my squad laser rifles for toying around). The only thing that works is the weapons bit, but it doesn't skip the tutorial. Any advice?
    You have to play the first level. What will be skipped is the tutorial at the beginning of mission 2 - so you donīt have to climb on that roof and die with your heavy.

Looks great... but im a bit cautious with stuff like this.
    Can somebody tell me why the editor is 125MB unpacked?

Greetings

Very cool, thank you.

Tried it last night. Didn't have much luck with it. Invisable troops that can't be moved. Error message trying to save settings some times. Tried all sorts of combinations and never got anything but the usual aliens. I did get 6 troops to work, but only on easy mode which made the demo actually easier. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by KC23 View Post
    Tried it last night. Didn't have much luck with it. Invisable troops that can't be moved. Error message trying to save settings some times. Tried all sorts of combinations and never got anything but the usual aliens. I did get 6 troops to work, but only on easy mode which made the demo actually easier. Ah well.
    Start the game with "-LoadAllContent" under "properties"->"Launch Options", that should fix the invisible bug.

Quote Originally Posted by DHX View Post
    @ mark maxwell

when you use editor can you please check if the path displayed under steampath is correct and try again.
    Finally got it to work. It just needed the beginning path to steam and not to the whole game. I feel stupid now. Thanks for the help and for the awesome editor!

Quote Originally Posted by Carouzo View Post
    Looks great... but im a bit cautious with stuff like this.
    Can somebody tell me why the editor is 125MB unpacked?

Greetings
    it containes uncompressed game files that are needed for tut skip

Quote Originally Posted by DHX View Post
    it containes uncompressed game files that are needed for tut skip
    Thanks for the answer

I keep having an error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you Quit the application will close immediately.

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
    I run as administrator and I have steam loading all content. I've played through the demo before and I did get the editor to work once, but I can't seem to get it to work again.

Any help is appreciated, and I must say that this is giving me a far better experience than the default demo was.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayton View Post
    I keep having an error:

I run as administrator and I have steam loading all content. I've played through the demo before and I did get the editor to work once, but I can't seem to get it to work again.

Any help is appreciated, and I must say that this is giving me a far better experience than the default demo was.

Thank you.
    Got the same error. Anyone had some solution ?

sorry, nope. works fine for me.

DHX you are both a scholar and a gentleman.

Hat off to you sir. Multiple hats off. A whole hat-rack worth of hats.

-D

I changed location of your program to desktop and it was ok now. But i had some question. I set 2 mutons, 2 heavy floaters & 2 chrysalids, but i get 2 mutons, 6 sectoid-muton like being with muton stats, 2 heavy floaters, 2 chrysailds which didn't want to eat my last 1 hp survivor ( 5 squad member ). Could anybody tell me why i had such bizzare composition ?

I have a question too - where do I set how many aliens I encounter?

Start the game with "-LoadAllContent" under "properties"->"Launch Options", that should fix the invisible bug.
    I get the same problem when I change too much, what exactly am I changing? Game shortcut is a steam shortcut and I don't have the option with the editor exe.

-D

NM, found it in steam.

I have to play the tutorial in order to get different alians and a 6 man team. Skipping the tutorial does not work for me. It skips, but the game gives me a 4 man team, and all setoids, no matter what I choose.

Workds fine when I don't choose to skip the tutorial.

What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by dhx View Post
    here you go guys demo editor ver 1.1 will be looking into more but somthing to play with

need dot net 4.5 and latest windows installer

http://tinyurl.com/8zyny2g

have fun

please remeber to run as admin

love this tutorial mission gone finally

I'm probably the only one who has run into this issue, but the demo editor doesn't work if the Demo itself is in a Steam Library folder on any hard drive but the "C" drive.

I really want to try this....BUT....I'm still strong enough to resist.

Barely.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx_Wyvern View Post
    IMPOSSIBLE...this game has been "dumbed down" for consoles...remember.
    If by "dumbed down" you mean "options stripped that are in most Squad TBT games", I agree completely.

Hi! Just joined the forums to say thank you to DHX for this great editor. It makes the demo more useful and I can practice tactics. i can't wait until next week to get the full game. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaD321 View Post
    But i had some question. I set 2 mutons, 2 heavy floaters & 2 chrysalids, but i get 2 mutons, 6 sectoid-muton like being with muton stats, 2 heavy floaters, 2 chrysailds which didn't want to eat my last 1 hp survivor ( 5 squad member ). Could anybody tell me why i had such bizzare composition ?
    Exactly, same here.

Are you supposed to be able to change that first wave to anything you want, if I chose mutons for the first wave, are ppl having success having 8 mutons attack you ????

I DID IT!!! i killed 2 sectopods with 1 sniper!!! just dumb blind luck, i might have had 2 guys make it out alive but i accidently right clicked and got my medic killed. my sniper had 1 hp left for the entire thing. all of the reaction fire he took, all of the shots he took just missed. 4 times the reaction fire missed, and like 6 times the shots missed. don't how he lived but he did, most amazing sniper i will ever have. (this was on normal mode though)

I did the script hack (manually copied the bar script to be the pier script) and used an early version of the demo editor to set difficulty and move up to 6 squad members.

Now, when I'm just starting the pier map, as the skyranger is landing, I see a bit of yellow text on the left side of the screen that says "Yo_dog_I_heard_you_like_DTEs". WTF is that? Does anyone know what a DTE is? Is that something the demo editor added, or is it an easter egg left from the developers?
    Exact same thing happened to me, but another note popped up later too. A couple of sectoids took cover in one of the barges, at which point a message said something like "aleins_are_retreating_ to_building".
    Then I get another console message saying, "reccomend_moving_heavy_up_to_fire_rocket" amd some floaty box indicates an area for me. I couldn't explore this further though because the indicator was over an area without ground.

My guess is that there might have been plans to make the second mission another tutorial, still doesn't explain DTE comment though.

There is a bug in the demo with this patch/editor, sometimes a soldier will get taken to 1 HP and be unable to die (invincible). Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble, its happened to me twice. Even if they do get hit, it shows as 0dmg0crit.

Is still ask, has anyone gotten it to work with anything other than sectoids in the first wave and had the alien models look correct ???

I disabled all movies and disabled tutorial mission and used script hack, then set the difficulty to classic. I didn't change which aliens would appear - and I had an all sectoids second mission (o.O) with indeed the first mission completely removed. It was a total of 15 sectoids and while it was nice to encounter so many of them, I don't think this shoulda happened so I'd like to know where I went wrong because no other alien race appeared?

Also, what exactly is it that puts additional aliens on the map? Is this random or something because there doesn't seem to be an option for it in the editor.

Edit: Oh and another thing - I kept the squad size at four and with the settings I mentioned, I got 3!!!! heavies, out of which one had a rocket launcher - which she couldn't use cause it said she has no skills to use it. Wtf? The fourth guy had a shotgun btw ... this seems rather broken too?

On a sidenote, the only loss I suffered (four guys in the squad) came because I was trying out my Logitech Rumble Pad for the first time - the demo thought it was an XBox 360 controller and this really messed things up for me when I accidentally moved someone I didn't wanna, getting him killed in the process. I hope the final game supports more than just the XBox controller but after this experience, I'll rather stick with mouse and keys.

I had the exact same experience as Harmor.
    No changes except difficulty, remove movies, script hack, skip tutorial.
    I got all sectoids.

AFAIK the reason is skip tutorial. I had the same issues. Now I prefer to make the tutorial and have the full variety of aliens in second mission.

Thanks for the editor. When I try the skip first mission, game freezes after soldiers leave the skyranger and are invisible.

It would be nice if the editor allowed to randomly populate a map with certain aliens, just to allow no ending life to XCOM.

Anyway thx for your editor and your efforts to put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by XcomSam1 View Post
    Thanks for the editor. When I try the skip first mission, game freezes after soldiers leave the skyranger and are invisible.
    Try searching this thread for 'invisible' and you'll have your solution.

34. I've got 16 hours a play time on the demo now because of this editor. Good work. Now I'm really hoping they are wrong when they say an average play through of the full game is 15 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-chan View Post
    I DID IT!!! i killed 2 sectopods with 1 sniper!!! just dumb blind luck, i might have had 2 guys make it out alive but i accidently right clicked and got my medic killed. my sniper had 1 hp left for the entire thing. all of the reaction fire he took, all of the shots he took just missed. 4 times the reaction fire missed, and like 6 times the shots missed. don't how he lived but he did, most amazing sniper i will ever have. (this was on normal mode though)
    Sorry to ruin it for you - there's actually a bug where your unit can't get killed.

I just wanted to say thanks for this DHX.

now i feel safe showing the demo to my mate who, without reading anything about the reimagining, is sure it's crap based on... the UFO: Afterlight game. Hopefully this'll swing him round a bit!

cheers :-D

P.S. please don't get the flux capicator working and stop time on the 9th, I don't get the game 'til the 11th ;-)

I will try out not skipping the tutorial in my next attempt, thanks to varden for the heads up. Do I then still get an increased amount of hostiles for the first encounter or does that revert back to the normal 2?

Just check "Script hack". You'll get more hostiles. Only drawback is you have to waste time on the first mission.

Thanks for posting this! got a little more mileage out of the demo

Quote Originally Posted by Garm View Post
    Thank you for this. Finally got it up and running. Can confirm Ertherals are bad arse MO FOs.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast