Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The PC UI I WANT

Thumbs up The Pc UI We all Want

oki after a bit of feed back on my idea for a PC UI i tht id post here and get feed back and not de railing any thead's.,.,.,
    wow thx for all the feedback .,.,again its just a idea for the UI.,.,the main idea for this UI is, you look at it and go oki thats tomuch info...well then you simply need to set it up.,i for one want to mowe most my window's like i se fit resize them and their text fronts or play with out them .,.,.simply put,.,.,.,i want UI options for ervything

meh, cluttered, wont scale, excess info.../ random platypus

so thats
    option 1: play with 0 add on info window's
    option 2: thoos of us that wants more we make box's for what we think we need and want, in fixed loc's.

its the same game,.,.,.,. the same UI,.,.,.,.,.,. you see the win win ?

1st: off what do you like ?
    2nd: what dont you like ?
    3rd: whats missing ?

feed back Plz
    allso the main skill bare isnt done yet heh.,.,the things that are done ( the soldier grp window in full info mode )
    not done yet: (mimimap) (final tooltip's box)
    main skill bar and special soldier skills

http://i47.tinypic.com/2edd01e.jpg
    they would work like this ( relly over sized )

http://i45.tinypic.com/dz98x.png
    (edit new pic's with tooltip box added)
    somthing like a main hotbar that changes with each soldier.,.,and a locked info box for tool tips and damg crit and to hit info.,., and the UI info box i added is a lil over sized but AGAIN I WANT THE OPTION TO RE SIZE IT AND ITS TEXT'S FRONT SIZE !! as part of the UI option's ALL WINDOWS CAN BE MOWED AND RESIZED ACORDING TO THE PLAYER NEED'S thats what i demand of my game pc UI in ☺☺☺☺ing 2112 !!!!

about the turn UI and hot key's
    hotkey's like this

and as 1st mode somthing like this
    Last edited by Nafster; 09-28-2012 at 05:16 AM.

hmm and hear I was prepared to tell you to get ready to throw a smoke grenade. You sir have proven your self not to be one of the ppl who criticize with nothing more than "It sucks" and "console port" you have gone above and beyond and given a solution. the only problem I can see is that your mouse appears to be hovering over nothing and you're still getting stats. Though that may just me being a console gamer and not seeing what makes it so

Not too damn bad at all! How's that Uber Troll guy seeing eight aliens though!?

I have to say, I wasn't expecting much, but I like how you can immediately see info on all your soldiers without having to <tab> between them. Your design seems more compact.

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    He tried the Alien Entertainment from last mission's landed ufo.

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    its mearly to show how the soldiers ui interface grow's with more and more aliens hehe

I kinda like the clean UI approach in the vanilla game, but it would be nice if stuff like this was optional or moddable somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle20 View Post
    I kinda like the clean UI approach, but it would be nice if stuff like this was optional or moddable somehow.
    the way i wana make it all the windows are free to mowe..,.,the player you chosses their size and stuff like overlay and so on.,.,

I like it. Except for that window with the listed damage. That's an eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihy View Post
    He tried the Alien Entertainment from last mission's landed ufo.

Ha ha ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    I like it. Except for that window with the listed damage. That's an eyesore.
    iknow but its paint leme try somthing will bb .,.,i need a minimap pic tho.,.,.,anyone got 1 ?

Too busy for me.

Man I was already to moan...

That looks pretty nice. Still not quite perfect - but close.

I like the idea of a damage box, but it's not great how it is atm.

I'd also like the hotbar skills to always be in the same order (I realise this isn't directly the kind of feed back you want)

so maybe:

1: Shoot
    2: Overwatch
    3: reload (greyed out when not in use)
    4: Hunker down
    5: Grenade / medi-kit (greyed out if not carrying items)
    6-0: class specific skills

I realise this is a silly gripe, but as good as anywhere to post it.

Honestly I may be in the minority... but that takes up a chunk of the bottom left corner of the screen.. I see nothing wrong with the standard PC UI

Needs an end turn button
    Needs a more info button, i like the pop up window displaying everthing about the unit/target that you could need to know.
    The Squad box thingy on the left needs to be collapsible, so you can minimise that down to a simple switch between units option when you want to see more of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Lepruk86 View Post

I'd also like the hotbar skills to always be in the same order (I realise this isn't directly the kind of feed back you want)

so maybe:

the hotbar is by no means done in any way give me feedback. i just dont have the pic's as renders to make thess thing's but i can try.,.,and yes what you are saying is true but i was more thinking on som keys ( skills ) all soldiers have are allways the same 1 2 3 skills and then you added 4 5 6 7 8 skills ervytime you tab the sholdier UI tab key, or clicking the soldier's UI interface in the grp window
    Last edited by Nafster; 09-26-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuesseled View Post
    Needs an end turn button
    Needs a more info button, i like the pop up window displaying everthing about the unit/target that you could need to know.
    The Squad box thingy on the left needs to be collapsible, so you can minimise that down to a simple switch between units option when you want to see more of the map.
    yer i whats thinking they all are one big window that you should beable to slide to the left and hide it in 3 to 4 option stats wher les and les of their info is shown with les and les of the bar.,.,or play with 5 collapsed and 1 popup with full info that changes as you tab them.

No offence, but I find it ugly, it doesn't provide me any info I didn't already know, and it takes up more screen space and is harder to read.

I'll take the vanilla UI with the full game keybindings, thanks.

Love it! :d

Quote Originally Posted by lamaros View Post
    No offence, but I find it ugly, it doesn't provide me any info I didn't already know, and it takes up more screen space and is harder to read.

I'll take the vanilla UI with the full game keybindings, thanks.
    well the option's would def let you play like that.,.,

This UI... I WANT.

meh, cluttered, wont scale, excess info.../ random platypus

You know, I would be willing to bet money one of the older iterations of the UI was just like that. But when you have a design philosophy, i.e. simple, elegant, someone will always look at that and say it is cluttered.

I liked it, but I found it confusing at first...then I understood it and liked it. But thats only because I am an XCom vet and finished the demo 3 times. A new player might not like it.

The original XCom I got this pirated copy (in 94-95?) and spent 3-5 hours figuring out how to play (with no manual or tutorial obviously) Today people are not that patient. Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine Moldovia View Post
    Honestly I may be in the minority... but that takes up a chunk of the bottom left corner of the screen.. I see nothing wrong with the standard PC UI
    I don't know if its a minority or not, but you are not alone at least. I actually like the PC UI a lot, and I found it very natural playing with it in the demo. I don't care for the traditional soldier "card" that this mock up does.

My only major problem with the game controls are the camera controls are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
    yer i whats thinking they all are one big window that you should beable to slide to the left and hide it in 3 to 4 option stats wher les and les of their info is shown with les and les of the bar.,.,or play with 5 collapsed and 1 popup with full info that changes as you tab them.
    I feel that the squad bars should be bigger, include lots of cool features (Portraits, Moral/Panic State, Ammo Situation, Health, Action points remaining, aliens in sight, experience bar, small mini map depicting their poisition (debatable use, maybe an arrow pointing in their direction, better idea?) maybe even a little insignia/patch that is assigned along with their nickname)

All those with a click of a button or hot key, should disappear, slide down, and be replaced with the current UI of, end turn, help and switch soldier buttons, set a little further down than it is in the current build.

Essentially you would slide this interface up, when you want to select and review your soldiers, to choose which one should act next, soldiers already moved will have their overlay grey out, and dead soldiers overlay will be replaced with a big red KIA semi-translucent block.

Thats my suggestion anyhow

But i like the current UI as well.
    Last edited by Schuesseled; 09-26-2012 at 06:45 PM.

I like it now with the smaller box.

For a quick mock up too.

I think the thing that sells it, is having the units in the bottom left showing what aliens they have sight on etc.

Yes, all this info is in the current UI, but this looks much more like a PC UI I.E. having more info readily available...

When modding becomes possible, get this made !!!

added a pic more.,., more what i want for a clean skillbar not done tho ..,im gona do soldier grp window in dif info mode's on it tomorrow aswell.

Yay! Now if the camera didn't act like it was in a music video and stayed where I put it unless it was showing me something useful

I will name all of my soldiers Uber Troll from now on

5-star and auto-refresh. Seriously, how can Jake possibly claim that PC UI had separate devs when it is identical to the console version? Simply adding hotkeys does not make it PC-friendly. That said, Greg I really hope you will pass this along to the devs.

this looks awsome @ OP! Need from hell!

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Greg View Post
    I will name all of my soldiers Uber Troll from now on
    does that unlock a hero character? :P

I would just like to know when I selected my Sniper. I swear I never know until I try to shoot after moving and can't.

I'd be willing to bet anything, if they had made the UI exactly like that, some guys would hate it and someone would draw one exactly like the current one.... I hadn't planned on getting this game till Christmas, money is tight. But I think i'll do without some stuff and pre-order it.

It's pretty good, but I'm not head-over-heels on it. In fact, I like it about equally as much as the standard UI.

My biggest complaint is the little hit-chance box. The text seems too small, and it looks too wordy.

This is looking better and better man. Now, if we can just get these UI elements set up in LUA so that every user can customize it how they like it'd be 100% perfect

Quote Originally Posted by LeBurns View Post
    I would just like to know when I selected my Sniper. I swear I never know until I try to shoot after moving and can't.
    Look at the right bottom at the weapon before you move your soldiers. It's a good habit to get into so that you can see what class and especially the ammo available-how soon I should reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Lepruk86 View Post

so maybe:

Not silly at all, I have the same gripe. It's common sense to have all the common skills first so that they have the same shortcut on any soldiers. I am shocked Firaxis did not get that by themselves.

And nice UI by the way!

Very nice UI mate.

I opened the thread thinking here we go again, another gripe about the UI. This however is very constructive feed back. I have no problems with someone who doesn't like the UI but all the same threads over and over without offering something better are useless. You have out done yourself sir! Good job.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast