Thread: XCOM Fiction?

XCOM Fiction?

I was planning on writing an xcom fictional story that follows "Bravo Team" through how they get recruited, their training and ultimately working the squad into the story shown thus far by the demo.

I was going to release the story in parts leading up to the release of the game to help entertain us all as we wait. Is there any interest in something like this?

The demo was "Delta Team" wasn't it?

Or am I not understanding you?

Also I'd read it

Sure Elite, go ahead because I'll surely be reading.

Yeah, I'll be reading it, anything to pass the time!

When I saw the thread title I could only think of the X-COM: UFO Defense Novel. I got it soon after I got the original X-Com... in fact, it's still on my shelf. I remember thinking it was super cheesy, even though I read it a half-dozen times. I think I'll read it again to pass a few more hours until the 9th.

Fan fiction is always good to read...Shouldn't even have to ask for someone's opinion if you should write one or not.

Go for it!

I'd read it. I'm on tour until the 20th, so it will definitely help pass the time.

I'd definitely give it a read!! Need to feel my need for X-Com related stuff hahaha

Do it mate. Why not? Even if there wasn't any interest

Ok, I'll give it a whirl! Thanks for the support guys!

Bravo Team is going to be new characters that I work into the plot line from the demo. There was Alpha Squad that landed at the crashed UFO at the end of the demo and then you played as Delta. Bravo will be a new cast

Just don't forgot to give an explaination to the part where Xcom base are build quickly like magic after chose establish location.

The only way to write better is to begin writing. I tried some of my writing, but end up just reading a good book by others instead.

Writing in XCOM should be easier because you have a turn based game that will be the framework of your descriptive writing. There's going to be a main arc that every reader would have some familiarity with. So you can focus on the cool scenes and combat. Unless you add soap opera love triangle arc within your squad.

Quote Originally Posted by XCOM_Elite View Post
    Ok, I'll give it a whirl! Thanks for the support guys!

Bravo Team is going to be new characters that I work into the plot line from the demo. There was Alpha Squad that landed at the crashed UFO at the end of the demo and then you played as Delta. Bravo will be a new cast
    Just me, personally, with my own personal opinion thing, which should have little to no bearing on your creative choices, but I would think XCOM as currently represented by Firaxis - who is not you and thus you should not be limited by their decisions - would be more likely to continue down the "Greek" route rather than the "standard American military thing you know Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.". So if it were me writing this - not you - I would pick another aggressive sounding Greek letter or similar (i.e. other Classical naming protocols that I'm not familiar with in the slightest) rather than Bravo. Or something.

Are you planning to do pure fan fiction, or are you going to base it on a playthrough?

On xcom.the-craftsmen.com we have a section dedicated to AARs, where already a number of people have started to set up their reports, fan-fiction included!

You are cordially invited to join us there - makes the fiction easier to find for people.

Quote Originally Posted by tallasse View Post
    When I saw the thread title I could only think of the X-COM: UFO Defense Novel. I got it soon after I got the original X-Com... in fact, it's still on my shelf. I remember thinking it was super cheesy, even though I read it a half-dozen times. I think I'll read it again to pass a few more hours until the 9th.
    I had this book as well. I say "had" because after having kept it for many years, then picking it up and reading again about three years ago, I realized the book was utter trash and permanently filed it in my garbage can. It's also one of the extremely rare books that I've skipped over many pages to see if the author was going to get back on track.

Diane Duane is not a bad sci-fi author but when nearly a chapter of an X-COM book is talking about a Swiss skiing resort (it reads as some sort of travelogue), with only one semi-memorable fight at the end, and forgettable characters...well, that ain't X-COM baby.

But that's just my opinion.

You should absolutely write this story (and keep folks here updated as to your progress), regardless of whether or not anyone says they'll read it. Inspiration is a gift and must be captured, especially as it pertains to writing, and especially in a genre as incredibly dynamic and fun as military sci-fi. There are few things in life as rewarding as having someone say, "I read what you wrote and loved it!"

Go for it!

Go for it! I've already hauled out the pen and paper RPG I wrote for X-com when I was in high school and have spent many a happy minute getting all misty eyed over it (actually I think it may have been my dust allergy). It's always fun to write a story based on a playthrough. Make sure you take copious notes and or screenshots. I tried it once with a Rome Total war campaign, but as I progressed, my notes got sketchier and it was harder to put together.

By the way, Elite, if you'd like someone to read over your material for "beta reading" purposes, I'd be more than happy to give them a once-over. Feel free to get in touch.

I found the X-Com: UFO Defense novel on German Amazon (used) - is it worth it? It is allowed to be trashy if it is, after all I love Warhammer 40k novels ^^

Or you can try some XCOM fanfiction:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/game/X-Com/
    http://scifiemporium.xcomufo.com/xcompage.htm

And it's free! My favorite is on the 2nd link, Kansai Arc by Ben Fischer

Hello, first post in this forum: Long time XCOM fan.

I'm breaking my silence in this forum to tell you guys about this: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/245417/1...Unknown-Menace

I'm quite frankly astounded no one has mentioned it. I've read this before and it is brilliant, massive in depth and scope with many subplots and other subtleties. There is some grammar issues but it's a tiny quibble compared to this fics brilliance. It's also huge, so if you start now it might just slake your thirst and last you until the 9th.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by P-DEX View Post
    I had this book as well. I say "had" because after having kept it for many years, then picking it up and reading again about three years ago, I realized the book was utter trash and permanently filed it in my garbage can.
    You do realise its for sale for 400+ on amazone.

All fanfiction needs to be posted in the Forum Games part of the forum. I'm going to move this thread there.