Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Thursday Thursday THURSDAY! Come watch Greg vs Pete. 8am PDT !!!!NEW TIME!!!!

HA! Go Greg! I told you buggers

I got a mention, life complete!

Well, maybe on the 9th...

Grats Greg, turtle ftw

Congrats Greg! Snipers for the win. I've always had an infatuation with killing my foes from a far, you've just helped reinforce that

5. Are Snipers OP?

I smell a Archangel point nerf in the future. Still, those were some very good games there.

And Greg won!

Quote Originally Posted by Keldaur View Post
    I don't know why you feel so mad at that Lamaros.

2 Sectoids and Sniper left Greg. Only one sectoid lost for Pete, and a heavy wounded soldier.
    Because everything Greg says is full of ☺☺☺☺? He won because he hit a few 50% shots early and Pete missed, then he got lucky with having his sectiod in range on the commander, and then hit a 68% shot.

Yet he's talking about how it was his "strategy"? Give me a break. Pete doesn't seem to play very well, but getting a Sniper on a huge map and sitting back taking pots shots while poorly controlling a bunch of sectiods is not a "strategy".

Awww man I only just joined to see the final two kills...

Wow ok after seeing this I'm not too keen about playing Xcom MP.
    Seems like Archangel Sniper is just too powerful and too passive for my taste.
    I hope they increase the cost to make sure archangel sniper cant field a plasmaweapon else multiplayer will get really, really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wandering God View Post
    Are Snipers OP?
    They are when you play an enemy that runs their units out one by one to be killed.

Thanks to Greg & Pete!
    That was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SayuriUliana View Post
    I smell a Archangel point nerf in the future.
    Still, it's only that powerful on a sniper.

Fun matches. The Arch Angel Sniper is indeed powerful in the open.

The best won, that's all. No one cheated, they all used what the game offered.
    Great games. I loved the graveyard one, with the sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by lamaros View Post
    Because everything Greg says is full of ☺☺☺☺? He won because he hit a few 50% shots early and Pete missed, then he got lucky with having his sectiod in range on the commander, and hit another 68% shot.
    You do have noticed that in this game, moving unit close to have over 50% chance to hit is VERY risky So shooting at 50% is completely valid choice.(plus something you probably did in original game because every rookie had crappy accuracy)

Point nerf probably, and ghosts will be big for a counter.

I wonder if Ethereals have any way to go invisible or hide, because they'd really make snipers quake too.

greg did very well, congrats.

That acrhangel armor is probably gonna end up costing more, which is a shame because its already to expensive for non-snipers.

Personally im going with ghost sniper.

Great entertainment, thanks Greg and Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Notts View Post
    They'll just make it more expensive if all everyone does is arch sniper with plasma.

(it's making me excited for when I get it in SP though!)
    I agree that in SP, it would be useful especially if the aliens have the upper edge. But in MP, most of the people will take the super units. I hope i am wrong but it's what has been happening in games lately.
    Example: Battlefield 3: X gun was overpowered, people abused it, people whined on the forums, Dice next patch included a modification to the weapon. Then the same story happened again but with a different weapon.

For Xcom, i think that they should include a Random unit generator for both sides and you fight with what you get. This generator should be fair for both sides. Then you do what you can with what you have. This would force people to play with all the units and draw new strategies.

Pete REALLY got screwed a couple times, though I think he still won the match with the most BS he faced.

greg did not let his fans down... wohoo!

Good going Greg, well played! Thanks to both of you for streaming that, was good fun to watch!

To be honest, sniper is great, but ghost counters it and has more versability imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Garm View Post
    Very good move there at the end, nicely done.
    The sectoid commander should have moved back behind cover so that the sniper couldn't get any shot on it (what if Greg's sectoid suppression hits him? 2 damage, he can endure) and only then mind control it.

&*$% ....err....I mean.....Darn.

Classic.

Nicely done.

Because everything Greg says is full of ☺☺☺☺? He won because he hit a few 50% shots early and Pete missed, then he got lucky with having his sectiod in range on the commander, and then hit a 68% shot.

Yet he's talking about how it was his "strategy"? Give me a break. Pete doesn't seem to play very well, but getting a Sniper on a huge map and sitting back taking pots shots while poorly controlling a bunch of sectiods is not a "strategy".
    While we couldn't see everything pete was doing, he had very robust setups and should have won most of the rounds. Pete really blundered in the first round though getting his units in piece by piece is not a way to tackle a sniper.

Excellent game, on both your parts. Was a great joy to watch. G-man could stand to practice with melee units a bit, though. Multiple G's. Thanks, guys.

Thanks Greg and Pete! Missed the first match and half... on a bus coming home from work, but what I did watch was awesome.

Good win Greg and sorry I voted against you in that poll earlier

They played two of the bigger more open maps. But even so, Pete could have turtled just as much as Greg and that sniper would have run out of fuel. Greg couldn't really move out and Pete decided that he had to before then, just worked out against him.

It's hard to really talk multiplayer balance when certain units aren't in multiplayer yet that might send shots straight back into a snipers head and be a brutal counter. We shall see.

Greg is frustratingly bad. Gets first turn advantage and doesn't dash with his units... HE CANT REACH YOU GREG! You don't need to put them in cover in the first turn.

6 units is way too many for him too.

Aaaaannd he is getting schooled.
    I got nothing against Greg, it's just the archangel sniper strategy that worries me. If people will only try to apply this strategy, forget MP.

EDIT: someone else said Ghost counters it. It's a good suggestion. Yeahh.. i'm stuck here in a dilemma. Best would be to wait for the final release before judging. Still early.

Quote Originally Posted by Silt44 View Post
    Point nerf probably, and ghosts will be big for a counter.

I wonder if Ethereals have any way to go invisible or hide, because they'd really make snipers quake too.
    That's the problem, though. If ghost armor is the only viable counter for snipers multiplayer will get really, really boring with half the players using archangel sniper an the other half ghost armor.

I really hope they quickly adjust the point values to allow a bit more variety in strategies.

Greg redeemed himself.

I'm honestly not feeling the archangel armor for snipers in multiplayer if you're using other units to spot for you. Skeleton Armor for high ground maybe, But i feel like the points would be spent better on other units or maybe a second sniper for double the fun.

Anyone have any idea what the hit percentage was in the second game when Pete had a point blank, flanking shot on Greg's Sectoid Commander? I can't believe he missed.

Man, I can see a big overuse of flying snipers in these matches. I love using snipers, but this could get old.

Nicely done Greg. Was rooting for Pete myself...but hey you can't win em all.

Quote Originally Posted by Busard View Post
    The sectoid commander should have moved back behind cover so that the sniper couldn't get any shot on it (what if Greg's sectoid suppression hits him? 2 damage, he can endure) and only then mind control it.
    Yeah, moving out of the centre building was Pete's big mistake. Needed to wait out, and then time a charge at the sniper if he couldn't pick the sectiods off.

he also went on about how great his move to suppress the the commander was forcing him to deal with it. but he had 2 sectoids left, so whatever he did, or the sectoid commander did, he would have his other sectoid go and reveal him to the sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Dont_mess_Xcom_Up View Post
    Greg redeemed himself.
    You helped

I have a question about squad sight. It seems that the sniper still needs LOS in addition to vision, because greg mentioned that his sniper couldn't hit enemies that he could see because they were using the mausoleum as cover. Is that true, or can the sniper literally shoot anybody in vision through any number of obstacles?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast