Thread: Steam Offline Mode Fix for when the internet fails

Thumbs up Steam Offline Mode Fix for when the internet fails

This is a helpful tip for people who will be playing XCOM and may have internet issues. If your internet goes down during your play. No more XCOM for you. There is a solution, which is also a preventive measure that everyone should probably do.

1. Make sure you can login automatically (login/password saved)
    2. Go to your steam folder (example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam)
    3. Create a regular text document and call it 'steam.cfg'
    4. Add the following lines:
    BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
    ForceOfflineMode=enable
    5. Save the file and run steam.

I would suggest people do this anyway and save it to like steam.cfg.offline or something, so if they run into this problem they can still play XCOM. Once the internet is off, you can't exactly look up a fix.

theres an easier fix. set steam mode to offline mode (while you are logged in online ofc) and dont change it back to online.

I always play Steam games offline. Why wasting resources and electric power while playing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    theres an easier fix. set steam mode to offline mode (while you are logged in online ofc) and dont change it back to online.
    will not work if you dont have login automatically set to off tho

the 2-5 is only if you never want to have steam online

Doesn't Steam simply ask if you want to switch to the offline mode after you can't connect to the server?
    Last time I played Civ 5 with no internet access it sure did.

Quote Originally Posted by demeryt View Post
    Doesn't Steam simply ask if you want to switch to the offline mode after you can't connect to the server?
    Last time I played Civ 5 with no internet access it sure did.
    It can be a tad buggy. Also, lets say you shut down your computer without shutting down steam first. When you crank up puter, and happen to have no net, Steam won't let you turn on offline mode.

Maybe firaxis will release a nosteam.exe like egosoft did for thier x3:tc and x3:ap

Actually, Civ 5 already has a no steam exe, so, chances are good Xcom will have launcher exe as well

Quote Originally Posted by gair22 View Post
    This is a helpful tip for people who will be playing XCOM and may have internet issues. If your internet goes down during your play. No more XCOM for you. There is a solution, which is also a preventive measure that everyone should probably do.
    I love how this is egregiously incorrect. If your internet goes down while playing a Steam game, nothing happens. You keep playing, you may not even notice it went down, and the only thing it affects is that you don't unlock the achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    I love how this is egregiously incorrect. If your internet goes down while playing a Steam game, nothing happens. You keep playing, you may not even notice it went down, and the only thing it affects is that you don't unlock the achievements.
    that is true the problem comes for starting up steam with no internet when it has not been set to offline mode.

I've had steam go offline while playing games before... and from my experience the game doesn't shut off. Offline games work like normal and online games (L4D) lose server connection and can't find games to join.

Steam Announces maintenance and planned server outages on their forum. They'll also make posts about unplanned outages there, as well.

Steam offline mode does work and you only need to hit the switch on the client.

However.

If a game is currently updating, it will be stuck in the "updating" state and won't be available to play until you switch Steam online again and finish the update.
    That's pretty much the only thing you need to be aware off.

If your internet goes down during your play. No more XCOM for you.
    You can still play Steam games even when disconnected from the internet.

I've had issues before where my computer kept telling me that steam couldn't go into offline mode before. Was VERY frustrating as I didn't have internet access at the time.

Internet died, double post.

I think you can disable your network connection to force steam to offline mode if you don't have internet.

*sigh*

If you've ever been offline successfully, and have credential saving enabled (I believe this is the default, the option is "do not save credentials"), it will offer to start in offline mode when it can't reach the servers to login. It sometimes glitches a bit.

Credentials will be invalidated if it's not sure it hasn't been moved from one computer to another - OS updates, some hardware changes.

Quote Originally Posted by noquarter View Post
    Actually, Civ 5 already has a no steam exe, so, chances are good Xcom will have launcher exe as well
    CivV on PC has no official way to play without Steam.

Although some people find their own ways around the internet dumping on them while in online mode. This is a very solid method to getting around having to go 'online' first, just to go 'offline'.

Thanks Gair! A good fix, if someone hadn't enabled offline mode before his or her IP went down.

I suggest to people who are new to Steam not to try this "fix". Most likely it will ask if you want to enter offline mode. The worst that can happen is when Steam gets confused if it is online or off. In my experience that only happens when my internet connection is in very bad shape, as in canīt navigate properly . Then you might have problems entering the game, or when that happens when the Steam auto-update is working (or trying to work) If the problem crops up, then use the fix.

All in all it will be worth it when you are online and XCom updates automatically super fast and the whole social thing.

Thank you Gair.

Is there a way to not have games auto update on steam?
    Lets say I am running a saved game and dont want to update til i finish that game. So I dont run the risk of losing the saved game.

wow, this thread is full of bad info

This is not a constant online game, sorry for you DRM haters, but it isn't.

If you're playing and your connection drops ... nothing happens. Someone already mentioned this.

After checking in the very first time, it will not need to check in again. If your internet is down, then steam will simply pop up a box when you start it up saying so and asking if you would like to start Steam in offline mode. Do so, and guess what, you can still play XCOM...

Do you need to be connected all of the time for steam games?

Quote Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
    wow, this thread is full of bad info

This is not a constant online game, sorry for you DRM haters, but it isn't.

If you're playing and your connection drops ... nothing happens. Someone already mentioned this.

After checking in the very first time, it will not need to check in again. If your internet is down, then steam will simply pop up a box when you start it up saying so and asking if you would like to start Steam in offline mode. Do so, and guess what, you can still play XCOM...
    By the way, there IS a glitch with Steam that seems to only happen to laptops where if you turn on the laptop when you don't have internet, then Steam won't go into Offline Mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYACFjiuaSU

Quote Originally Posted by Propbuddha View Post
    Do you need to be connected all of the time for steam games?
    Not for any of the Steam games I have, no.

1. Make sure you can login automatically (login/password saved)
    2. Go to your steam folder (example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam)
    3. Create a regular text document and call it 'steam.cfg'
    4. Add the following lines:
    BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
    ForceOfflineMode=enable
    5. Save the file and run steam.

I would suggest people do this anyway and save it to like steam.cfg.offline or something, so if they run into this problem they can still play XCOM. Once the internet is off, you can't exactly look up a fix.
    Thanks gair22 I found this post to be useful.

excellent advice gair22

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermarch View Post
    By the way, there IS a glitch with Steam that seems to only happen to laptops where if you turn on the laptop when you don't have internet, then Steam won't go into Offline Mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYACFjiuaSU
    If the demo is any indication I had no problem in that exact situation. Powered off my laptop without first going into offline mode. Took it with me on a short trip to where there was no internet access. Powered up my laptop, it gave me an error that it couldn't connect to server, but then put me to offline mode. Played demo offline with no problem.

Oh, and I didn't have to do any weird config things.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
    Thanks gair22 I found this post to be useful.
    Glad it helped some folks. I've ran into it before and it drove me nuts. Their official support tells you to go online first, so it just adds frustration. That is the last thing people need when enjoying some XCOM!