• Normal - with Ironman

52 23.96%
  • Impossible - with Ironman

11 5.07%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Game Difficulty

First Game Difficulty

For the First Game you play what Difficulty are you going with

What an interesting idea! We haven't had any threads like this!

I assume the second normal means classic?

Quote Originally Posted by luukdeman111 View Post

was ment to be

Classic, with self-imposed ironman. I'm too worried about game glitches to trust the game with my save.

I am an XCOM and a 2K forum noob . Normal with Ironman for me, I like the idea of permadeath.

I was too fast at voting and voted Normal instead of Normal with Ironman. Speaking of that I actually dreamt the other night I was playing XCOM, and that Normal was a lot harder than you'd think, and I got owned hard by the aliens in my dream because of misclicks. And since I was playing on Ironman I had no way of correcting the misclicks i kept doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ixnatifual View Post
    I was too fast at voting and voted Normal instead of Normal with Ironman. Speaking of that I actually dreamt the other night I was playing XCOM, and that Normal was a lot harder than you'd think, and I got owned hard by the aliens in my dream because of misclicks. And since I was playing on Ironman I had no way of correcting the misclicks i kept doing!
    This is why I'm happy I'll be playing with the 360 controller. I had a few misclicks with the demo that bugged me and I feel that the gamepad will help me to be more precise.

Normal with self-imposed Ironman. Won't restart even if I manage to wipe.

Normal w/Ironman. After 1st winning campaign i will be playing Classic w/Ironman for the rest of the time. If Classic starts getting too easy (which i highly doubt) i'll move onto impossible.

I will be going for classic without ironman. I was originally planning to do ironman but since I wanna "test" a few things on my first play through like how reliable AoE weapons are, and other things that I will just buy see how it works and reset.

I will still not reload a game because I lost troops or anything like ironman, just cant risk losing the chance to test out stuff on my first play through and get screwed for it.

Try a civ game without reverting to a previously saved game and rolling through the punches when your veteran units go under.

Or FTL where it is not uncommon to lose crew members but you keep trucking foward because there is too much to lose.

I actually might do Classic Ironman. I'll probably die but if I manage to beat it eventually I'll feel mighty good.

Classic Ironman. Want to fight tooth and nail to the end.

Was going for a standard normal game first time around, but started early on to consider classic.
    Recently I've been leaning towards classic ironman mode though, I kinda like the idea of rolling with the punches, but I think I need ironman enabled to force me to avoid save scumming when the feces hits the fan...

Classic Ironman. I think I'll win but would love to be proven wrong.

I considered Classic to start, but Im afraid the world will be falling into more chaos than I am prepared for, SO I will probably play on Normal with no reloads, unless its just a slaughter. but Im not turning on Iron man until at least one play through, then I will play Classic/Ironman as the second run.

I'm really not sure. I know I can handle the beginning of the game on Classic just fine, but I'm expecting things to get way harder. I might play on Normal with the plan to play Classic when I'm more experienced.

II for the first game.

I wanna lose horribly.

Then i might go down to classic impossible, if i wipe too fast.

I'm still considering streaming my first game. So all the world can see my incompetence.

After viewing this thread I have changed my first playthrough and will go Classic. I think Normal wont be challenging enough.

Quote Originally Posted by chimeracreator View Post
    The difficulty settings actually affect the game on a LOT of different levels so the ramp up between them is pretty tough:

Easy:
    1. Base global panic starts at 0
    2. Most alien activity only raises panic by 1 in left unchecked
    3. Your soldiers have 1 bonus hitpoint
    4. Aliens are dumber, and there aren't as many of them
    5. Soldiers cost $10

Normal:
    1. Base global panic starts at 0
    2. Most minor alien activity raises panic by 1 in left unchecked with some events doing up to 3
    3. Your soldiers have no bonus hitpoints
    4. Aliens have their AI mostly unshackled
    5. Soldiers cost $10

Classic:
    1. Base global panic starts at 8 (1 per location)
    2. If unchecked alien activity causes at least 1 panic, but will often cause 2 or 3
    3. Your soldiers have -1 hitpoint
    4. All aliens receive bonuses hit hitpoints, accuracy, critical change and / or damage.
    5. Alien AI is unshackled
    6. You receive no officer training school
    7. There are even more aliens per map
    8. Soldiers cost $15

Impossible:
    1. Base global panic starts at 16 (2 per location)
    2. If unchecked alien activity causes at least 2 panic, but will often cause even more
    3. Your soldiers have -2 hitpoints
    4. All aliens receive bonuses hit hitpoints, accuracy, critical change and / or damage.
    5. Alien AI is unshackled
    6. You receive no officer training school
    7. There are even more aliens per map
    8. Soldiers cost $15

So playing on Impossible it is very likely you will lose one or more funding nation on month one. In theory you could lose every funding nation of the first month depending on alien activity and the efficacy of your response so good luck commander.
    So you have a reference

Quote Originally Posted by luukdeman111 View Post

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...out-difficulty

/ \
    ||
    This

Classic Ironman... With the caveat that my 360 freezes sometimes, so I hope the game can handle that without corrupting everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dmviking View Post
    So you have a reference
    Wait, does it mean you're stuck with 4 soldiers in Classic+ ? Since you have no training school? o_O
    Now if that's the case, I think I might change my mind about playing classic -_-

I think it means you have to build the training school yourself.

Oh, thank you =) In that case it's perfectly fine =)
    Then it's Classic (no Ironman) for me.) I don't see myself reloading much, but I'm still no masochist, and since the game isn't as short as FTL, I don't want it to be too roguelike =)

Normal - Iron Man all the way baby! There's nothing like it! I started Faster Than Light on normal without the tutorial. I *LOVED* the challenge. I still haven't beat that game on normal! Sorry if it seems I'm plugging it, but it's awesome. It mixes strategy (moving your crew in real-time/paused-time), action (enemy encounters), and RPG (leveling various ship systems; exploring the galaxy). It's very challenging, and the way Faster Than Light plays feels a LOT like X-COM as far as the grand scheme decision making and intricate strategy decisions go. If you're looking for a diversion until the 8th (or 12th), I *HIGHLY* recommend Faster Than Light.

Again, Ironman all the way! Challenge me! I didn't "wait" over a decade for a walk in the park uninstall!

Going classic but not sure about ironman. 2nd play though ironman is ON!

A hard time to decide between normal and normal - ironman... But i think for the challenge of it I will go Ironman. Never really tried ironman in any other game before

Normal Ironman - because there is still too much that i don't know and if some soldiers die because of that i can handle it on normal

Normal with Ironman first and then going to classic Ironman second go

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    oww... lulz.... I thought my sarcasm was obvious.... Cause there've been around 3 of these threads...

normal ironman, i'll always have ironman on whatever difficulty, that's just the way i do.
    but Classic looks a bit steep for my first game, i think a lot of people here are underestimating how hard classic and impossible will be.

Normal Ironman on my first play through, but once i get use to it, while go for classic ironman and see how that goes.

Normal Ironman my firts playtrough, I know I am a wimp. (will go for classic and impossible when I have played trough tho.)

You should always lose your first game of xcom, so impossible ironman it is, then down to a normal playthrough.

Normal for first playthrough to get the feel of things.

Classic Ironman from then on.

Normal Ironman for the first time, even tho i completed the og on superhuman, but that was a long time ago and the game has changed lots, but will replay on the harder settings.

I've been debating this for a while but have tentatively decided on Classic. The other option was Normal - Ironman. I'm one of the folks who played the original (still play once every couple of years, actually) and I like the challenge of Classic, but I also tend to have a couple of characters I want to make it all the way through. Anyone else can die, but those two have to make it. Those were the only two characters that would mean I would start a mission over again, even if it was just a critical wound (because of the loss in Will). So, I think that's likely what I'll be doing the first time but, after that, switching to Classic - Ironman.

Classic difficulty with ironman deactivated, like a wimpy Choose Your Own Adventure reader with a finger on the last page. "Oops, didn't mean to do that!" I say nervously, looking around to see if anyone's watching before flipping back.

Impossible Ironman - I want my first game to last about as long as my first game of the OG about an hour till the AI wipes me out. That will feel like xcom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast