Thread: XCOM Enemy Unknown for Mac

XCOM Enemy Unknown for Mac

Is there any information about a possible Mac version of this game.

I'm not sure if hipster art students are allowed to be XCOM commanders.

Kidding. Sort of. I haven't seen any, but I will take a peek to see if there is any info. What do you know...

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...MAC-any-chance

The gist is that there is no hope for a Mac port, however, you can use a program called 'boot camp' that sounds more like a pain in the ass to use than actually being worth it. I'd go 360/PS3 if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maxwell View Post
    ... you can use a program called 'boot camp' that sounds more like a pain in the ass to use than actually being worth it. I'd go 360/PS3 if you have one.
    Boot Camp is actually pretty simple to use. The only tricky part is that you need to set up a separate disk partition in order to install Windows (or you can just throw in an extra drive if your Mac has room, eg. one of the Mac Pro towers). When you boot up your computer you can then choose whether to start OS X or Windows.

Windows actually runs faster on my Mac than it does on my dedicated work PC, and the XCOM demo runs perfectly.

The gist is that there is no hope for a Mac port, however, you can use a program called 'boot camp' that sounds more like a pain in the ass to use than actually being worth it. I'd go 360/PS3 if you have one.
    Boot Camp is pain in the ass because 2 reasons:
    1. I have to leave my favorite OS just for one game
    2. I have to by a copy of windows just for one game

Sounds like you should get a ps3 or xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    Sounds like you should get a ps3 or xbox.
    Same problem. I dont want to by a console just for one game

That hit the funny bone pretty darn hard.

I think Mac Game is equal to Windows-Games. Both are small against Console.
    But Mac Games are established too.

Lets Take a look. WoW, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Batman Arkehm Asylum, Batman Arkehm City (announced), Left for Dead, Civilization 5, Counter Strike, Call of Duty...

It think there is no reason to not port it to the Mac.

I dont want you scare but surprise.... Im not an art student. Im a hard working computer scientist

I asked about an OSX port on the GT facebok when Garth was answering questions yesterday.

He said "no plans for an OSX port at the moment".

I have a boot-camp partition, but it's running XP - and the cheapest win7 I can find comes from Germany, and still runs to $130NZD + postage.

I'm now pinning my hopes on Crossgaming support - because $90NZD for that makes much more sense to me, and I could actually recover the drive space I'm currently giving to Windows.

I'll be playing XCOM on my mac using boot camp. It's not a pain to use at all. That's how I do all my Windows gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    I asked about an OSX port on the GT facebok when Garth was answering questions yesterday.

He said "no plans for an OSX port at the moment".

I have a boot-camp partition, but it's running XP - and the cheapest win7 I can find comes from Germany, and still runs to $130NZD + postage.

I'm now pinning my hopes on Crossgaming support - because $90NZD for that makes much more sense to me, and I could actually recover the drive space I'm currently giving to Windows.
    Civ 5's port of Gods and Kings was available on same day as PC. That's because Civ is an established Mac title with a user base and market pre-established.

Once XCOM makes enough money on PC, then it'll be worth getting Aspyr in the room for that port conversation. I bet that it already happened once, Aspyr said that they couldn't be sure it would make enough money, and boom. You're done until you can prove it with cash.

I have a Boot Camp partition, too. It's not that I'm a hipster art student - it's that I don't find the hardware and Windows parts of PC gaming to be any fun.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote_blue View Post
    Civ 5's port of Gods and Kings was available on same day as PC. That's because Civ is an established Mac title with a user base and market pre-established.

Once XCOM makes enough money on PC, then it'll be worth getting Aspyr in the room for that port conversation. I bet that it already happened once, Aspyr said that they couldn't be sure it would make enough money, and boom. You're done until you can prove it with cash.

I have a Boot Camp partition, too. It's not that I'm a hipster art student - it's that I don't find the hardware and Windows parts of PC gaming to be any fun.
    Yeah, that about squares with my analysis too - I just don't want to get my hopes up too high.

FWIW, I'm not a hipster art student. I'm a DJ, and a software developer. The first part means I want the stability, the second part that I spend all day troubleshooting my own software, I no longer have the time or energy to troubleshoot someone else's

Quote Originally Posted by deus-ex View Post
    Same problem. I dont want to by a console just for one game
    This isn't just any one game.

Quote Originally Posted by tgrt View Post
    This isn't just any one game.
    But one game im interesting on console

I consider Bootcamp a necessary evil if you want to play games on a Mac.

On the bright side, it's extremely easy to set up with Windows 7... and any Mac with an SSD can switch between OSs in under 10 seconds. I don't buy Mac's to game on, I buy Macs for everything else (speed, efficiency, reliability, software selection, synergy with other Apple products, customer service)... and then sometimes gaming too.

That said, the new Retina MacBooks actually do really, really well with Windows gaming (thank God for the switch to Nvidia GPUs - although more VRAM would have been nice). In fact, most games that have versions for both platforms perform noticeably better on Windows (DirectX is just more mature and efficient than OpenGL).