Thread: XCOM Version Based on Activation Code or Steam Install?

XCOM Version Based on Activation Code or Steam Install?

Hello, posted these questions over on the steam forums but perhaps someone here has experience with this type of thing and knows the answers. I am in the US, and running the US version of Steam. If I have a Steam Activation code purchased from the UK version of an official XCOM retailer (greenmangaming):

1. Can I activate this UK code on my US version of Steam, and will it work properly? By work properly I mean activate, play, and update correctly if patches are released?

2. Since the US and UK release dates for XCOM are different, which date would my game become playable on?

3. Are the US and UK versions fully compatible for multiplayer? Including Ranked play, non-ranked play, and LAN play?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Sorry to be blunt but I don't really have information to back me up, just experience and general knowledge.

1. No, region locked I believe. You might have to change your steam location.
    2. Probably the 12th
    3. Yes, you will be able to play people from all over the world. LAN... I think you can, but then again the computer might be like, "LAN game between US and UK? impossible!" and ☺☺☺☺ itself.

I doubt there are any official answers on those questions but from previous games...

I would assume (from a similar experience I had) that you can activate your UK version on a USA steam server and vice versa. Just you can not activate a copy early (the UK version will not activate before the 12th). I brought a game in Australia and tried to install it when I got to the US the next day. Since it was a world release B4 it was a US release, it installed the game and steam said there was xx hours before it unlocked. For that game steam knew it was a world copy but since I was in the USA it would not let me unlock it until the local release date. When that time ticked over I could play the game.

Because it was a UK version it will date the game as the 12th.

All versions should be totally compatible for MP. It would be pretty stupid and rare if they are not. How else would I be able to kick ass on my mates in the USA!?!

Cheers dazz, didn't realize you can do that.... I'm just gonna buy russian games from now on.... Soooooooo much cheaper.

GMG sends out the keys near the time of release. You should look at your GMG receipt. It shoudl say (NA) or (ROW) for your game. If it says (NA) then you will get the keys for the North American Release. Otherwise you'll get the key for the ROW release later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumajin View Post
    Cheers dazz, didn't realize you can do that.... I'm just gonna buy russian games from now on.... Soooooooo much cheaper.
    nononononononononononononono

This is a monumentally bad idea. Do not buy cd-key shop versions of the game. The russian version is REGION PLAY LOCKED.

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/16376
    onlyallowrunincountries = AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD RU TJ TM UZ UA
    Unless you like playing xcom over a vpn to Russia, which is a violation of the SSA by the way and can get your Steam account suspended. Avoid cd-key shops like the plauge

Quote Originally Posted by Sumajin View Post

I wouldn't recommend buying the serial online unless you know that country will defiantly work with your local steam client. I know from that experience that the Aust/USA games work but just delay you to the local release time. I have no idea about the Russian ones.

I have a mate that buys the games in the USA and installs them here. It's very rare that they region lock the game so you can't play between US-Australia on steam. I would say he has brought over 20 games from the US and has never said one of them didn't work (yes he travels a lot). I use him as my test bed so I don't waste my own money

i r disappoint in myself....

Anyone else have any additional insights into this? That is, whether a UK purchased key will work on a US version of steam? According to that CDR site I see people linking, there is no regional play restriction on any version except for RU retail copies, but I don't know how reliable that info is.

I don't know for sure, but logically speaking buying a UK key should work on the US version of steam - because a legitimate scenario would be a UK gamer buying say 2 copies of a game and gifting one of them to a relative living in the US. There's nothing I can see on steam with any game I've bought saying you can't buy one of the games and are then restricted to who you can gift it to based solely on geographic location.

As others have said though, I also think it will only unlock when the UK version gets unlocked as a whole....because whilst the IP address of the machine tells steam your location, it's the CD key of the game that they'll be using to unlock regions I think.

Again look at the receipt from GMG

If it says Xcom Enemy Unknown (NA) you will activate with the North American region

If the key says (ROW) You'll activete a fwe days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
    Again look at the receipt from GMG

If it says Xcom Enemy Unknown (NA) you will activate with the North American region

If the key says (ROW) You'll activete a fwe days later.
    It is definately ROW version, but the release date is the most minor of my questions. I wanted mainly to confirm that the UK (ROW) version will **Play** correctly on a US version of Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Hargon View Post
    It is definately ROW version, but the release date is the most minor of my questions. I wanted mainly to confirm that the UK (ROW) version will **Play** correctly on a US version of Steam.
    There's no "US" version of steam. The NA/ROW don't have activation region locks so you're fine there.

You'll activate the game but you wont be able to play it until the 12th because it's the ROW version

Usually it's GEO-IP based.

How do we get a copy of our GMG receipt?