Thread: xcom restarts computer...

xcom restarts computer...

Every time i try to play xcom enemies unknown I get a black screen as if its switching over to the game then it just restarts my computer.

I have an AMD FX processor, using windows 7 64, 8 gigs of ram and using a gtx 460 se graphics card.

I have already updated my graphics card.

I got the game through steam, not sure if this will make any difference knowing that.

ya i get blue screen and restarts and sometimes black screen restart >;-(
    My System Specifications
    Operating System: Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1) CPU Type: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor CPU Speed: 3.14 GHz System Memory: 7.98 GB Video Card Model: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Video Card Memory: 742 MB Video Card Driver: aticfx32.dll Desktop Resolution: 1600x900 Hard Disk Size: 931.51 GB Hard Disk Free Space: 930.61 GB (100%) Download Speed: 2.17 MB/s (18.2 mbps)

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 101
    BCP1: 0000000000000019
    BCP2: 0000000000000000
    BCP3: FFFFF88002F65180
    BCP4: 0000000000000002
    OS Version: 6
    Last edited by AlienBlood; 10-09-2012 at 03:36 PM.

This is liking a rev level on something. Update your system before saying it's Xcom.

I keep crashing and get blackscreened and have to restart my computer. This never happened in the demo so I dont know whats causing it... I will keep tweaking to try and find a fix

I have the same problem. Have tried several of the solutions suggested, none of them work. I have the same problem with shogun 2. That game ran perfect... then they updated it and it hasn't worked sense. It's very frustrating to pay $60 for a game only to have to play it on steam and for it to not work as a result. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Its time you guys started listing your system specs, especially Video Card to see if there's a common denominator here.

AMD FX
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
    8GB RAM
    Win 7
    Gigabyte mobo with F9 BIOS (current non-beta)

same error.
    Last edited by neonreaper; 10-09-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neonreaper View Post
    AMD FX
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
    8GB RAM
    Win 7

same error.
    Also: the blue screen error mentioned something about one processor taking too long to receive a message from another.

I had the same problem with the demo. To fix it I had to flash my bios because there was some kind of problem with amd fx processors and steam.

Once I flashed the bios everything was hunky-dory and I've not had one issue since.

I want to confirm that flashing my bios solved this problem.

AMD FX
    Nvidia GTX 560
    8 GB Ram
    Win 7 64bit

For me the crashes wore being caused by over heating GPU, I cleaned my computer and installed rivatuner and my game hasnt crashed since

Quote Originally Posted by Mujinn View Post
    Every time i try to play xcom enemies unknown I get a black screen as if its switching over to the game then it just restarts my computer.

I have an AMD FX processor, using windows 7 64, 8 gigs of ram and using a gtx 460 se graphics card.

I have already updated my graphics card.

I got the game through steam, not sure if this will make any difference knowing that.
    Have you updated your motherboard's bios?
    AMD FX processors were bugged when they first came out. Had problems playing lots of games (think the one game it never would play was Shoguns 2. It was that game anyways that made AMD realize the truth about that FX CPU.). Soon after AMD released a bios updated for all motherboards to fix it. But the general rule with the FX bulldozer processors was to avoid it at all costs. Don't really know where it stands now though. I'd try updating the bios first if you haven't already.

Nice to see someone found the cause of the issue and posted their findings for others alkmie

So from my past experiences with these types of things...

If Black Screen + Reboot:
    Typically with games, black screen followed by a reboot typically means an overheating issue. To more easily test this try opening the case (if it's a desktop) and set up a fan to blow directly inside to keeps things cool. Games (all 3D graphics) are among the most intensive things you can run on your computer. This means more heat. Most computers are setup with safeguards to restart if certain temperature thresholds are met (this is good, because otherwise components inside would partially melt and you'd being looking at replacement of parts). To remedy you can try getting some of those cans of compressed air at an office supply store and clean off all fans for the computer (they get caked with dust over time and especially more so for smokers).

If Blue Screen (blue screen of death!):
    This is usually a driver problem that caused a serious error for Windows. When you see these, driver updates are the first thing to look at (easiest to do). Graphics Card first, but don't forget your Sound Card Drivers too; they can cause Blue Screens too! BIOS Flashes can be done too if you know your motherboard model, but doing a BIOS Flash does NOT come without risk of causing more severe issue for your computer. Most motherboard manufacturers have more automated tools for BIOS flashing, but the process is different for them all and also even different among their motherboard models too. Try to find proper directions from the manufacturer of your motherboard.

If none of those help, then getting support from the makers of the game is the best route. :]

To all having the Reboots, please post your DXDIAG

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumTarantino View Post
    To all having the Reboots, please post your DXDIAG
    If you don't know what a dxdiag is...
    Dxdiag is the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
    To get this info to post here, follow these quick steps:
    1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard (located on the lower left) and then press 'R'). This will start up the Window Run Dialog.
    2. Type in "dxdiag" and press OK. This will start up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, with a screen which will show all your Graphics related settings.
    3. On the bottom of that window is a "Save All Information..." button. Click that to have it create a text file with the info show on the screen. Remember where you selected to save the text file.
    4. Open the text file, copy what's there and then you can post it here for others to help

To ANYONE who has an AMD FX processor (and there are a few in the thread)

You MUST update your motherboard BIOS

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2876044

SOme background on the issue. But updating your motherboard bios is your only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
    To ANYONE who has an AMD FX processor (and there are a few in the thread)

You MUST update your motherboard BIOS

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2876044

SOme background on the issue. But updating your motherboard bios is your only option.
    Everything should be updated but i still get a blue screen,auto restart or it will just restart. its weird i play bf3 ultra and now this ;-/

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 10/10/2012, 21:52:12
    Machine name: ALIEN-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: GA-970A-UD3
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
    Page File: 2239MB used, 14105MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Please post more of your dxdiag, at least to the video sections, preferrably more

Did you try to check your memory (RAM) with memtest ? http://www.memtest.org/ it will test your ram and the program will tell you if you have a bad memory stick. This game is using a lot of memory and maybe you have 1 of your ram that his defect.

Just a different idea.

Btw Memtest is a live cd you need to boot on restart.

My system specs:

AMD FX-8150 8 core processor
    16 GB Ram
    Windows 7 64 bit os
    AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Sounds like I need to try the Bios update...only thing I haven't tried yet.

Yup BIOS flash did it. Just make sure the notes say AGESA 1.2.7.1 - not that running a beta BIOS is necessarily bad, but, I was trying to avoid it. the response from 2K was the usual "make sure your video drivers are up to date" stuff. good luck!

I'm -just- getting the black screen and then restart, only had it twice but I don't really want to take any chances, I basically have enough time to complete one mission and then it occurs.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 10/12/2012, 01:54:56
    Machine name: EDI-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/18/10 15:47:36 Ver: 20.02
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B35 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3328MB RAM
    Page File: 2155MB used, 4497MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68BE)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BE&SUBSYS_21D61458&REV_00
    Display Memory: 2422 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1015 MB
    Shared Memory: 1407 MB

I haven't tried the BIOS flash but that's because of my card not being an AMD FX (as far as I know, if it is do correct me) and well, aparrantly BIOS flashing comes with atleast some risk?

EDIT: Friend of mine suggested just uninstalling and reinstalling, it worked for him, so i'm giving that a go before trying anything more complex, still, any advice / ideas are more than welcome.

I'd like to chip in and say it's not just the AMD FX processors that're having this issue.

My system:
    Intel i7 3770K OC 4.5GHZ
    Asus P8Z77-V
    16GB 2GHZ DDR3
    nVidia 570 GTX 1.5GB
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

At first I got the PC restarts very often, so I updated my video drivers and the restarts became less frequent. I've taken the overclock off my CPU and RAM to see if that was causing it too, it wasn't. I'm not overheating, I had software log the heat from my CPU and GPU while I was playing and it was all in the safe range right up until the restart.
    Then I figured, maybe it's the virtual cores that hyperthreading makes appear, so I shut that off in the BIOS and I still get the restarts. To be double sure, I set the affinity of XCOM to cores 0 and 1 through the task manager. Still restarts my machine.
    So, I decided to update my BIOS because I'd seen others had some success with that. No help for me, I still get the restarts every couple of hours.

Only XCOM does this to this machine, it's stable in everything else with no issues whatsoever. I have a friend with a near identical build, except that he's using a GTX 460 1GB graphics card and he has absolutely no issues at all.

Activating the blue screen (which isn't on by default in Win 7 x64 Ultimate - can't speak for the other versions) doesn't even yield a result for me, it's as though the plug has just been pulled from my PC. No, it's not a faulty PSU, I have a trusty 1200W that's working fine.

So, I personally think the devs need to look into this and maybe issue a patch.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by WskOsc View Post
    I'd like to chip in and say it's not just the AMD FX processors that're having this issue.

My system:
    Intel i7 3770K OC 4.5GHZ
    Asus P8Z77-V
    16GB 2GHZ DDR3
    nVidia 570 GTX 1.5GB
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

At first I got the PC restarts very often, so I updated my video drivers and the restarts became less frequent. I've taken the overclock off my CPU and RAM to see if that was causing it too, it wasn't. I'm not overheating, I had software log the heat from my CPU and GPU while I was playing and it was all in the safe range right up until the restart.
    Then I figured, maybe it's the virtual cores that hyperthreading makes appear, so I shut that off in the BIOS and I still get the restarts. To be double sure, I set the affinity of XCOM to cores 0 and 1 through the task manager. Still restarts my machine.
    So, I decided to update my BIOS because I'd seen others had some success with that. No help for me, I still get the restarts every couple of hours.

Only XCOM does this to this machine, it's stable in everything else with no issues whatsoever. I have a friend with a near identical build, except that he's using a GTX 460 1GB graphics card and he has absolutely no issues at all.

Activating the blue screen (which isn't on by default in Win 7 x64 Ultimate - can't speak for the other versions) doesn't even yield a result for me, it's as though the plug has just been pulled from my PC. No, it's not a faulty PSU, I have a trusty 1200W that's working fine.

So, I personally think the devs need to look into this and maybe issue a patch.
    I also have this issue with INTEL. I just opened a ticket with 2k support, but I noticed it started happening right after I got the elite pack dlc from steam.

I also noticed the restarts will usually happen after the camera tries to leave the area boundaries. And the game log file is getting cut off rather harshly. No indication is given of a specific error, the line just stops suddenly in the middle of a word.

Config is i7-3930k, asus sabertooth x79, hd7950 sapphire, 24gb ddr gskill, Win 7 x64.

I'm having this issue as well, GeForce GT240 video card (drivers v 306.97 and previous rev as well) with an Intel i3 CPU and 6 GB of RAM. I had two days of bug-free play (glorious, bug-free play...), Win7 x64 Home Premium. before this issue occurred and made no major changes to my computer during that time. XCom is the ONLY software that has crashed my computer lately. Devs, please look into this issue and give us some sort of feedback!

Well, tried flashing bios (asus sabertooth x79 intel) from rev 1104 to 2xxx and that may or may not have fixed xcom, but I tried borderlands 2 and it crashed exactly the same in the first 5 minutes, so I'm asking for a refund. I've had it with 2k. My support ticket has been laying there for over a week and no one cares about it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulraised View Post
    I also have this issue with INTEL. I just opened a ticket with 2k support, but I noticed it started happening right after I got the elite pack dlc from steam.

I also noticed the restarts will usually happen after the camera tries to leave the area boundaries. And the game log file is getting cut off rather harshly. No indication is given of a specific error, the line just stops suddenly in the middle of a word.

Config is i7-3930k, asus sabertooth x79, hd7950 sapphire, 24gb ddr gskill, Win 7 x64.
    Sorry to necro an old thread but I just picked up Xcom from one of the Steam sales and have been getting this same crash issue on an Intel. Config is i5-3570, ASRock z77 extreme4, geforce GTX 560 Ti, 16gb ddr gskill, Win7 x64. The crash typically occurs in base. I was able to play a while and just deal with it but it has begun occurring with a high degree of frequency that the game is now unplayable.

Windows is recording the crash as a Kernel Power Event 41. I don't receive any blue screen even with them enabled. I have stress tested the computer and ruled out power, heat, and bad RAM. Runs other games fine, this crash is driving me nuts, I have tried literally every solution short of flashing my bios (only 1 update out of date). Has anyone with an Intel chipset managed to resolve their issue? I just logged a ticket with 2K as well.

There are numerous problems mentioned that others and myself perhaps have sought to fix. For one, since I can only talk about my own experience, it has be video drivers that stopped my playing XCOM. Switched to video drivers (Nvidia) 306.23 and no problems at all. (newer drivers came out tweaked for FPS games and those do not work even though they should from Nvidia.).

Now, ASRock whatever has been mentioned as being something perhaps in the BIOS that interferes with the game.

Data Prevention Execution is an Windows 7 feature, that can be for all programs or only for Windows OS programs. All you need it for is Windows OS programs, not every program you run on your computer.

Other threads have perhaps other things mentioned in those, and those will have to be looked up, probably on Page 2 of this Support Forum or page 3 whereever they are at.

I assure you that with version 310.90 (if I remember correctly) of the video drivers from Nvidia, the game could stop at any time, or perhaps on certain maps and no reason would be given, and it was the video drivers but using verison 306.23, the game always works.

http://www.guru3d.com/
    (downloads for video drivers and whatever).

I would check some of the other threads, because it has been BIOS program that need not be on interferring and other things like that. (mentioned in those other threads, so a bit if looking around will have to be done.)

Now back to game 57, and yes I have started but not finished all those games.
    (and not one crash or nothing with Nivida video drivers version 306.23 (which are drivers from October 2012 instead of newer ones from say like December 2012).

The rest - not sure, never hear back to say if it worked or not, but only from a few in all the threads.

I guarantee that my XCOM never crashes, and I am on a cheap I3 system, 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit computer with an older now Geforce GT440 video card.

@Durtag, Kernel Power Event 41 just means windows didn't shut down properly.

It can be very difficult to trouble shoot problem like this but a start would be to try and isolate what driver is causing the problem by running Driver Verifier basically it stresses the drivers on your system until you get a BSOD and with any luck it will give you a little more information as to what driver is causing it.

Just in case you want more info on driver verifier hear is the MSKB on it, though like all MSKB's its not to user friendly.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

It's 08/10/2013 and you did not fix this game yet. My BIOS is updated, my windows 7 is updated, my NVIDIA drivers are updated, it's not overheating. XCOM is the ONLY GAME THAT CAUSES MY SYSTEM TO RESET. I've never seen this happen in 3 years I have this computer, never once I've seen a hard reset. I play Borderlands 1 and 2 and all works fine, it's just this piece of crap, bugged software that keeps crashing. Why don't you fix it?

And it's a shame, because the game is so good

That is because you have Windows 7 set to restart the computer when a program fails. XCOM is probably failing because of something on your computer. Various numerous items have been mentioned, from Nvidia drivers being wrong, use 306.23 version see if that helps, to dust and dirt in the computer to HD Audio (disable it once) to trying Clean Boot (search for it on the Internet) to using Control Panel -> Administrative Tools-> System Configuration (for one of the tabs to set windows to miminal startup (when it boots the computer) to other things.

Otherwise the game starts up fine on my system and works fine. First is the opening movie so it that is not working, then the game is using bink and whatever it is called RadTools I think something like that and all games of Firaxis (especially Civilization) has used those in all games, and they all worked.

From defragging your harddrive, to checking your harddisk to anything and everything on your computer even to a BIOS program, and even to a certain AMD processor that has a fault in the programming that can be like fixed (with the AMD folder in the game I think) or by a certain program called Oreghi something that can looked up in other certain treads right here because of tha processor that corrects the faulty programming with that (and that program must be ran before starting the game everytime, but other people are using it and it works for those faulty CPU from AMD.

This is just a forum, and perhaps someone can help you or maybe not.

From updating PhysX to perhaps instead of using your CPU with PhysX the graphics drivers automatically do to using your graphcis card (if Nvidia perhaps) with PhysX.

A lot of things have been mentioned, but we are not at your computer, and you are the one who must go through your computer, seek out some other threads that mention how it was fixed on other computers and see if you can determine what it is.

Except for Nvidia drivers which do not work with all games (and other people are having problems with newer drivers with other games other than XCOM) there is version 306.23 version that does work.

But if the game is not playing the opening movie than that is something beyond me, and that should not happen with the Bink and RadTools the game uses because those have been used for years in other games, many games.

From turning off DEP except for Windows Program (OS) to starting up the game in a lower resolution, to start up the game via launch items on Steam in a Window by typing in that launch option on steam in Properties of the game which right clicking on the game after getting up the game in your Account by the menu item Library on Steam "-windowed" to start the game.

I know that you are frustrated at any of this, but at one time I had a video card that worked for normal computer with any program except a game or games. The grease between the heat sink and the GPU on the graphics card would make the graphics card heat up, and there is a way via a Utube video to fix that, but I ended up getting a newer video card that did not cost very much, and still works playing XCOM for a 2-3 years now. The other card I did not buy again from the manufacturer.

Cleaning out fans in the computer the inside the CPU fan and anything with electrical contact computer cleaner if necessary instead of dust compressed air cleaning cans to about anything in the computer even BIOS programs the way the OS is set, and anything.

??