Thread: BUG: Game crashes when you approach enemy (Muton) for a stun

BUG: Game crashes when you approach enemy (Muton) for a stun

This is a strange bug, I have a Muton weakened and I have repeatedly gone in from different angles to stun him, but the game CTDs instead. Any ideas?

I've just had this happen to me to. On an abduction mission in Japan I've only encountered Mutons so far. When I uncover a group of 3, they scatter to take positions and then I can no longer give commands. The game doesn't crash to desktop, but I can't do anything.

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I approach a weakened Muton in order to stun him. When my soldier reaches the tile next to the Muton the games freezes for a few seconds and then crash to the desktop. Very annoying.

I'm getting the same problem but it's not with a Muton, rather with a Heavy Floater. Every time I move into range it crashes to desktop. I've tried killing other things around it until it's the last thing on the field, trying different approaches, waiting a few turns, and even verifying the files through steam. Each time it happens one of the files becomes corrupt and needs to be redowloaded but it doesn't fix the issue.
    Last edited by griffinman01; 10-15-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Even though the soldier I approach the mutons with has no stun device and is not in the stun range, the game still freezes, and look at how my log ends before it does:

Code:

[0212.18] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'm_kPawn' XGUnit CLrgScout_ForestTrench.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XGUnit_0 Function XComGame.XGUnit:DrawRangesForShotStun:0449 
    [0212.24] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'm_kPawn' XGUnit CLrgScout_ForestTrench.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XGUnit_0 Function XComGame.XGUnit:DrawRangesForShotStun:0449 
    [0212.29] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'm_kPawn' XGUnit CLrgScout_ForestTrench.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XGUnit_0 Function XComGame.XGUnit:DrawRangesForShotStun:0449 
    [0212.34] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'm_kPawn' XGUnit CLrgScout_ForestTrench.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XGUnit_0 Function XComGame.XGUnit:DrawRangesForShotStun:0449 
    [0212.39] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'm_kPawn' XGUnit CLrgScout_ForestTrench.The
    Last edited by Farreloth; 10-16-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gantros View Post
    This is a strange bug, I have a Muton weakened and I have repeatedly gone in from different angles to stun him, but the game CTDs instead. Any ideas?
    I'm having exactly the same problem. Muton at 1 HP, ready for stunning. Every time a unit with an Arc Thrower approaches, immediate CTD. Approaching with another unit (not carrying an Arc Thrower) does not cause the crash.

I thought it might have something to do with a cutscene, so I tried commenting out the lines "+Package=CIN_Muton" and "+Package=CIN_Muton_GC", under the heading "GlamCams" in the file "\XCOM Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini", but it didn't help.

I also updated my Geforce drivers. Help please?

duplicate post(with less info deleted)
    Last edited by Sanginius; 10-27-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: duplicate post due to database error

I had something similar to this in my first game, if i remember right i got around it by having everyone hunker down for 1 turn, and was then able to stun it the following turn.

Edit trying to post again as i received a database error last time, so if theres 2 copies of this message thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanginius View Post
    I had something similar to this in my first game, if i remember right i got around it by having everyone hunker down for 1 turn, and was then able to stun it the following turn.
    Thank you for the reply. I've just tried this, but it still crashed on the next turn.

It seems like this is self-service support. I have to say this is pretty bad even by 2K Games standards.

I'm getting this when approaching a Thin Man on the DLC Train mission. It's completely repeatable from my save point and occurs when my character enters the Stun range circle when it just freezes and dumps me to Desktop.

Interestingly, it seems to be failing on an 'assertion' statement (that apparently is generally used for debugging as it results in a clean exit with a complete log which hopefully assists you in tracking down the issue) i.e. the crash is explicitly fired by the code if the value of the condition it's checking is false. In this case, if whatever 'i' is (nice obvious variable name! ) is outside the bounds of some array by the looks of things ... not sure if it's related to the missing file entries?

Last few log entries are:

(FYI In Win 7, you can find the log in C:\Users\%USER%\Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Logs)

Code:
    [0043.41] XCom_Content: LoadContentArchetype: Async load of ePawnType_Muton_Berserker complete
    [0043.46] XCom_Content: LoadContentArchetype: Async load of eItem_MutonBlade complete
    [0050.41] Critical: appError called: Assertion failed: i>=0 && (i<ArrayNum||(i==0 && ArrayNum==0)) [File:c:\buildagent\work\f1e3059977959973\branches\ue3_xcompc\development\src\core\inc\Array.h] [Line: 578]

Stack: Address = 0x1cc4c09  (filename not found) [in E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe]

[0050.41] Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
    [0055.03] Log: === Critical error: ===
    Assertion failed: i>=0 && (i<ArrayNum||(i==0 && ArrayNum==0)) [File:c:\buildagent\work\f1e3059977959973\branches\ue3_xcompc\development\src\core\inc\Array.h] [Line: 578]

Stack: Address = 0x1cc4c09  (filename not found) [in E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe]

Address = 0x7574c41f (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll]
    Address = 0x1c3be41  (filename not found) [in E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe]
    Address = 0x1288853  (filename not found) [in E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe]
    Last edited by merefield; 05-20-2013 at 12:39 AM.

TBH if you guys have saves where this is repeatable and log files you would be better of raising a support ticket with 2K support and inculding your saves and logs.
    Like RobC04 kind of said this forums is just meant to try and get help from other people not 2K or Firaxis

Quote Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
    TBH if you guys have saves where this is repeatable and log files you would be better of raising a support ticket with 2K support and inculding your saves and logs.
    Like RobC04 kind of said this forums is just meant to try and get help from other people not 2K or Firaxis
    Fair enough, raised one, thanks for link reminder

Added a ticket aswell!

Any answer? I added a ticket, too a week ago and so far I haven't received as much as a ”beep” from the 2K support.

I'm on the first Alien Base assault mission, trying to capture the sectoid commander. I could just kill him but why should I do that? I earned that reward! (plus: Ironman mode :/ )

Well, if Geforce graphics card, let it be known that their newer versions of drivers do not work at all with the game. Will crash for no apparent reason. Use or try version 306.23 drivers. Other problems with alien assault base is too high a resolution used playing the game for that mission. Try lower resolution.
    Other things have been mentioned like dust and dirt in the computer, and overheating, clean the computer fans and such perhaps.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_categori...vista_|_7.html

version 306.23, because XCOM is not the only game crashing with their newer drivers, made for only certain FPS games or such as read in the description of what the drivers are for.

Other things may be overclocking video card, and such if it is not factory overclocked, and anyway if it is, it still may be a problem, other programs there at guru3d.com for about anything including Nvidia video card programs to assist with that.

Otherwise game does not crash on my computer using GT440 Geforce because of the 306.23 version drivers, and yes, I have tried newer drivers and they do crash on my computer also.

Other than that??
    Go from there,

File re-loaded from Steam is probably for steam purposes, don't worry about that file.

I already tried the 306.23 drivers, lower graphic settings and lower resolutions. Since the game always crashes the moment I select my arcthrower soldier I highld doubt an overheating issue.

I don't know wether my graphics card is overclocked. I didn't and I don't think it's factory overclocked. But I'll check the site out.

Thanks a lot for the answer but sadly, it didn't resolve my issue.

Other things mentioned are audio drivers. Ah, using Clean Boot to start up Windows (do a search for that), and HD audio interfering. (turn it off - Disable to see). Can try Minimal Boot up by getting up Control Panel-> Administrative Tools (whatever) -> System Configuration.
    Otherwise, that is about what has been mentioned here in the forum.
    Defragging harddrive, checking harddrive perhaps.
    Perhaps anti-virus program perhaps, and turning off DEP except for Windows programs (OS programs).
    ??

Otherwise, knowing the error code you get when it happens in the game, or finding maybe a *.dmp file in the XCOM directory but usually that is for Launching of the game, or wherever the error code file for Windows would be ( sorry I do not know, but I know it has been mentioned, but I am not sure of the extension of the program) may have to be looked at or sent in also with a support ticket, unless it is something that can be handled on the computer without that. (support ticket).

Almost 2 years later and this bug is still not fixed? It's mentioned in several posts on this forum, and seems to have been reported to 2k via bug reports on several occasions. Seems it can be easily replicated. Is there going to be some effort made to fix this bug?