Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Beast of America" Trailer is now live!

Quote Originally Posted by fullmoonstar View Post

And watchman...What I really do not understand is why you are refering to the water in modern times now. This is completely off topic in my opinion...
    Yes ... your opinion.

Modern times as in when Cities existed in the US ?? Whats that 150+ years ... a few decade earlier than that?

Indoor plumbing ...

Industrial Age...

Modern people ...

And that water usually all goes down a drain and more is then used - every day.

Rainwater isnt enough in a City (or town or village if its seperated from the land around it)

So Big tanks/cisterns somewhere in these structures (and I dont see pipes running between the floating subsections so that would be a distributed storage system) and some way to bring LOTS of FRESH water to Columbia (and renew it fairly frequently). LIkely more by weight than all the other consumables put together (possibly by many times).

Perhaps a 'tear' just takes care of that.

Oh and the beach scene's water ?? Most civilized places dissuade people from bathing in public water supplies (and real water use would empty it in no time if it was) so ALOT of water is hiding in Columbia somewhere (floating in the sky with the rest of the place).

The beach water (I assume is actually there) also would have to be changed regularly or turn into a green slime (pretty quick)
    Last edited by watchman; 11-05-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Watchman, I have a column here that I think you need to read (Careful, there's some language)

I think it's a bit early to start picking out logic flaws in the game based on a two-minute trailer. I'm sure that there will be explanations to a lot of this in the context of the game, and then remember that for any work of fiction (particularly sci-fi/fantasy) suspension of disbelief is an important factor.

so is the story still that it's elizabeth's father that contacts booker? because I remember an early article with an interview with ken that says this. it would explain the photos of elizabeth and such that he owns.

Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfLife View Post
    Watchman, I have a column here that I think you need to read (Careful, there's some language)

I think it's a bit early to start picking out logic flaws in the game based on a two-minute trailer. I'm sure that there will be explanations to a lot of this in the context of the game, and then remember that for any work of fiction (particularly sci-fi/fantasy) suspension of disbelief is an important factor.

What HULK doesnt mention, is that really GREAT storytellers get all their facts/logic straight as a setting for their RIPPING GREAT stories, and those who dont bother are just inferior HACKS.

If you are presenting a world of such detail and it really doesnt take that much effort to do it right, then why not do it right.....

Great Art deals with subtleties which can be ruined by jarring discordances.

-----

As Infinite is not Sci-Fi, I make much larger allowances for illogic, and as a computer blast-fest game(where 'story' isnt really a priority), for any realism not being critical either.

I noticed something in the trailer, when Elizabeth is falling to grab on to Booker's hand, if you freeze frame at 0:34 seconds, notice on her left hand she's has a white bandage on her pinkie.

all the "islands" of Columbia are not directly connected, I don't see why there couldn't be a separate island holding what would probably just amount to a large swimming pool

Quote Originally Posted by vimandvigor View Post
    all the "islands" of Columbia are not directly connected, I don't see why there couldn't be a separate island holding what would probably just amount to a large swimming pool
    They could do that (and pools were often covered to control the temperature). Just for the city water supply they would need something like that the size of a lake, the way cities use water (even more for manufacturing or agriculture).

A swimming pool needs to be kept relatively clean and they usually had a continuous flow of water from an outside source to not let the swimming water accumulate contaminations (not really available in Columbia)

But then (if we want any realism) there would have to be pipes linking all the islands (and wires for power/communications, pipes for gas, etc..) Cities usually become a twisted mess of those utility systems.

They took the bother to have the 'train' system - but then, the rollercoaster-like skyline feature is fundamental to alot of game activities/plot, so it has to be included.
    Last edited by watchman; 11-12-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Could the sky rails also function as pipes of a sort? Also underneath each building along with the materials to keep it afloat could there be a cistern? In a world with vigors and nostrums could Elizabeth perhaps play a part in what keeps the city afloat in terms of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by incufish23 View Post
    Could the sky rails also function as pipes of a sort? Also underneath each building along with the materials to keep it afloat could there be a cistern? In a world with vigors and nostrums could Elizabeth perhaps play a part in what keeps the city afloat in terms of resources.

Cisterns might have been enough for mayans (with their huge plaster-lined plazas to collect rainwater), but its not enough to supply water to a modern city. The huge amount of water has to be supplied from off Columbia itself and frequently renewed in whatever containment is used. Pipes would be logical to transfer it to all parts of the City from whatever central intakes or strorage which is filled from a ground source.

I looked closely at some of the trailers to try to figure how the skyline rails are supposed to work (the old pictures showed a moving chain inside 'C" shaped rail that would move the trains. The new pictures are about the same and rails would be too small to transfer the large amounts of water.

The technology implied is something they couldnt do today and the pixie-dust or whatever that makes it work had better be something Elizabeth related (or similar fantasy at least). If Columbia was built in 1893 and its now 1912 then maybe Elizabeth who looks about 19 possibly is part of the whole situation.

You have good insight watchman thanks again for the response. I do hope for a concrete reason how and why things function.

I think with the early themes of the dangers of technology, the real world with it's resource worries, conflict arising from that struggle splitting off into 2 extremes and why the songbird is needed makes a case for Elizabeth and her power being central for Colombia staying independent.

It's fun to have mystery and insight into this universe is why I joined up here so far it's coming up full house, thanks board members.

This trailer gave me chills! it looks like much has changed since the last gameplay we've seen. and i also noticed it got more detailed and much Gorier..lol. ever notice how booker popped that guy's head off with the pistol? haha either way, i cant wait for it, its worth the extended wait.

Now that the Irrational Games forum has been moved here, I haven't really keept up with new stuff. I knew about the plot and the heavy hitters from the site and pax east. And I've seen the first trailer where a guy get thrown out a window. So I though this won't give away too much. Five seconds in I'm woah! too many spoilers. But is was awe inspiring as to the footage shown. Wow. No more trailers for me. So, well done Irrational.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    Now that the Irrational Games forum has been moved here, I haven't really keept up with new stuff. I knew about the plot and the heavy hitters from the site and pax east. And I've seen the first trailer where a guy get thrown out a window. So I though this won't give away too much. Five seconds in I'm woah! too many spoilers. But is was awe inspiring as to the footage shown. Wow. No more trailers for me. So, well done Irrational.
    Some people have odd definitions of spoilers. Of course its acceptable that you want to keep most of the game a surprise.

this trailer is straight bad-ass!

I just saw the commercial for Bioshock Infinite today at my local movie theater. It was a much shorter version of the BOA trailer and it was awesome!! I couldn't help but to smile when I saw it. It made me 100x more excited for this game to come out on 3/26!! Can't wait!

16. Just watched it,holy crap,that was pure awesomeness.
    Free download minecraft

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234