Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Beast of America" Trailer is now live!

Pretty good IGN Rewind theater on the trailer, breaks down the action - http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/22...erican-trailer

Thanks for sharing Felonious, I enjoyed the rewind. It actually pointed out quite a few things I didn't notice. Nice to see it all broken down like that to take it in. It made me that much more excited to play this. The enemy with a coffin on his back really has me intrigued. Really can't wait till release, it's going to be so much fun.

"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
    That was pretty amazing I couldn't hep think of Jack in some ways (when Booker was in the boat but not a plane), but that's just me I guess. probably going to pre-order on steam today after that awesome cinematic experience.

4. Finally I am also able to write something to this totally breathtaking, brilliant trailer. I did not sleep the night before the trailer has been released and since I was on vacation it was not bad at all. The trailer itself was just mindblowing. The first thing I thought when I saw it was that this actually IS Bioshock. The whole extremely strong atmosphere, the great details the unique style and the "feeling" you get when you see the trailer are just one of the aspects that make Bioshock what it is. At least this is my opinion. After watching the trailer, my thoughts were similar to the thoughts of mostly everybody here: "Leave my brithday, Christmas, the end of the world, New Year's Eve and all that stuff behind and let it be february." I wanted to explore Columbia, fight agains this burning-knight-of-death-thing, escape the Songbird, dance with that Coffin-Guy, see why the Policemans face is getting "skyhooked" and get to know what is going on in the conflict between Vox and Founders at all in detail.
    To sum it up, this trailer drove me crazy and made me want Infinite as fast as possible. Very well chosen pictures, music and atmospherical stuff just to show the fans that the waiting is absolutely worth it.
    Thank you very much for sharing the rewind-trailer too. It was really interesting to see what they thought about the things they have seen. I did something similar before to. I watched the trailer in super-slowmotion on the PS3 to see all the small but interesting details.
    Can't wait for more. My Bioshock fever once again has broken out even stronger than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Biovision View Post
    Thanks for sharing Felonious, I enjoyed the rewind. It actually pointed out quite a few things I didn't notice. Nice to see it all broken down like that to take it in. It made me that much more excited to play this. The enemy with a coffin on his back really has me intrigued. Really can't wait till release, it's going to be so much fun.
    No problem, I like to catch either IGN's rewind theater or Gametrailers Pop block of trailers. Usually get to find a piece of information here or there you may not know and at the very least get to see the action slowed down scene by scene.

I'll pay attention to them more, although most games don't really peak my interest these days. The only other game I am looking forward to just prior to BI is Dead Space 3. And I agree, the action being slowed down is good, made me enjoy the trailer more.

I completely forgot that you could choose a non-violent incognito approach. Now that I think about, it does give the game another layer to it, a more realistic one. "Who, me? No, I'm just a citizen, just here to enjoy myself."

I also like that there is no violence at the beginning. Wouldn't it be interesting if for the first hour or so all you do is play as Booker pretending to be a Columbia citizen? Just looking at the sites and chilling. Would it be realistic if at the beginning of the game you have no idea where Elizabeth is? You would have to look at a map of the city or talk to people, using clues and the city's resources and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_Runner View Post
    I completely forgot that you could choose a non-violent incognito approach. Now that I think about, it does give the game another layer to it, a more realistic one. "Who, me? No, I'm just a citizen, just here to enjoy myself."

I also like that there is no violence at the beginning. Wouldn't it be interesting if for the first hour or so all you do is play as Booker pretending to be a Columbia citizen? Just looking at the sites and chilling. Would it be realistic if at the beginning of the game you have no idea where Elizabeth is? You would have to look at a map of the city or talk to people, using clues and the city's resources and such.
    It will be interesting to see if it is Booker who precipitates all the mayhem. People dont sit placidly on the beach in the middle of a 'civil war'/revolution in a place so small. Remember in BS1, Jack killed Ryan and doomed Rapture (they were on the point of recovering as Atlas had all but loss, and if Ryan had lived Lamb would have got nowhere).

The Stormtroopers in Red shown repeatedly (supposed to be Vox?) though glitzy, is too far beyond what was previously portrayed to us -- as the historical situation (the fabricated dystopia at turn of the 20th century). Faceless Myrmidons in near space suits do not really belong in Columbia. Even the floating blue police barge thingee smacks too much of Buck Rodgers/Flash Gordon.

Still havent seen any explanation of what 'Beast of America" is supposed to be a reference to

Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    It will be interesting to see if it is Booker who precipitates all the mayhem. People dont sit placidly on the beach in the middle of a 'civil war'/revolution in a place so small. Remember in BS1, Jack killed Ryan and doomed Rapture (they were on the point of recovering as Atlas had all but loss, and if Ryan had lived Lamb would have got nowhere).

The Stormtroopers in Red shown repeatedly (supposed to be Vox?) though glitzy, is too far beyond what was previously portrayed to us -- as the historical situation (the fabricated dystopia at turn of the 20th century). Faceless Myrmidons in near space suits do not really belong in Columbia. Even the floating blue police barge thingee smacks too much of Buck Rodgers/Flash Gordon.

Still havent seen any explanation of what 'Beast of America" is supposed to be a reference to
    it would be pretty messed up if Booker himself is essentially the catalyst that starts the civil war, thus being responsible for a lot of innocent people dying and a beautiful city being reduced to rubble

guess he should have stayed home then huh? but then we wouldn't have a game!

"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
    Did anyone take a real good look in Booker's chest/box? one might notice a few minor details such as photos of Elizabeth as a young girl a few odds and ends that are currently meaningless to us but may soon be understood as time goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by Jules753 View Post
    Did anyone take a real good look in Booker's chest/box? one might notice a few minor details such as photos of Elizabeth as a young girl a few odds and ends that are currently meaningless to us but may soon be understood as time goes on...
    Click on the link that Felonious posted at the top of the page.

What? There was never any point of recovering, the people were insane. Ryan was just grasping at straw, he didn't want to see his dream die, but it was. Rapture was past the point of recovery.

Also you should follow Felonious' link as well.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jules753 View Post
    Yes the big birdcage-key which was also mentioned in the rewind-trailer for example. And the souvinir-card from Momument Island. I am also really curious about these items in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by fullmoonstar View Post
    Yes the big birdcage-key which was also mentioned in the rewind-trailer for example. And the souvinir-card from Momument Island. I am also really curious about these items in the box.
    Yeah seriously, Booker's benefactor must have been a Columbian citizen. Elizabeth was locked up with the Songbird to guard her and if the key is indeed the key that can free her, then the question is how did that person get such a key?

What? There was never any point of recovering, the people were insane. Ryan was just grasping at straw, he didn't want to see his dream die, but it was. Rapture was past the point of recovery.

Also you should follow Felonious' link as well.
    Pheromone control to keep the insanity/damage under control, Ryan has control of most of the ADAM to prevent further use, scientists and technicians to develop a cure (possibly an offshoot of the Vita-Chamber), the City itself wasnt falling apart that much witness it ~7 years later in BS2. More than a few people still left. Rapture was far from being a 'done deal' and what Atlas destroyed, Ryan could rebuild.

--

Booker showing up (and snatching Elizabeth ?) and then the shooting starts (beach scenes and icecream parlor and happy festive crowds dont signify 'war mode' was on yet, though the trouble no doubt was brewing elsewhere).

Coincidence, I doubt it.

--

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/22...erican-trailer ???

Alot of talk and speculation, not much I didnt get watching it myself (I had frame stopped it to looks at things the other day)
    Last edited by watchman; 10-25-2012 at 01:44 AM.

In the scene with Booker and Liz falling, Songbird will swoop up and try to catch Liz. I didn't notice it right away until a youtuber pointed it out. I was so awed by that scene I didn't even notice Songbird at all.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2dm79ef.png

I was also surprised at Liz's third makeover. But I'm glad they gave her a new dress. Hopefully Booker didn't get another makeover, though. I like his look from the Game Informer magazine. Rugged and handsome.

Pheromone control to keep the insanity/damage under control, Ryan has control of most of the ADAM to prevent further use, scientists and technicians to develop a cure (possibly an offshoot of the Vita-Chamber), the City itself wasnt falling apart that much witness it ~7 years later in BS2. More than a few people still left. Rapture was far from being a 'done deal' and what Atlas destroyed, Ryan could rebuild.

--

Booker showing up (and snatching Elizabeth ?) and then the shooting starts (beach scenes and icecream parlor and happy festive crowds dont signify 'war mode' was on yet, though the trouble no doubt was brewing elsewhere).

Coincidence, I doubt it.

--

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/22...erican-trailer ???

Alot of talk and speculation, not much I didnt get watching it myself (I had frame stopped it to looks at things the other day)
    ADAM caused degradation on a genetic level, no amount of pheramones could ever regain their sanity.

In the scene where Booker takes the shotgun from Elizabeth you can see that he is wearing a ring, maybe he is married with kids. What effect will that have on Booker's character and choices?

ADAM caused degradation on a genetic level, no amount of pheramones could ever regain their sanity.
    The Pheromone was to keep them under control (and was used to nullify Atlas/Fontaines Splicer army). It would then take developing a cure which undid the gentic damage/modifications (there were alot of people who were not insane who could do that for Ryan).

I wonder if they will have some similar mechanim that 'got out of hand' in Columbia to explain the backstory -- not genetic but possibly chemical or mind-control (propaganda as a workable starting point), OR to match the fantasy element, some metaphysical influence (ex - something to do with that ceremony scene we saw in the new trailer ???).

Quote Originally Posted by iaharco View Post
    In the scene where Booker takes the shotgun from Elizabeth you can see that he is wearing a ring, maybe he is married with kids. What effect will that have on Booker's character and choices?
    "Yes Elizabeth, I am your Father".... (odds are now 1 - 4)

WOOOWWW...

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/l...rica-pop-block

Man, the scar in the back of Booker's hand actually says "AD" and he is also wearing a ring that has a devil's face in it...What you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by vsharres View Post
    WOOOWWW...

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/l...rica-pop-block

Man, the scar in the back of Booker's hand actually says "AD" and he is also wearing a ring that has a devil's face in it...What you guys think?
    My opinion? I'd say AD was branded by Pinkerton for "active duty". The devils face...well that is the face of the union president Booker took out in his past.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskel View Post
    My opinion? I'd say AD was branded by Pinkerton for "active duty". The devils face...well that is the face of the union president Booker took out in his past.
    Sorry, Pinkertons werent the SS to tattoo (or worse brand) their employees.

Ring -- who knows, but if its there it possibly has some relevance (especialially if its big enough to see the shape of it)

"Yes Elizabeth, I am your Father, and I intend to sacrifice you to the devil"...

Hello BS-Infinite fans.
    Did I miss a detail or did they change the Elizabeth model completely?
    She's not only wearing another dress - I think her face looks completely different - Is this girl really Elizabeth (left part of image)?
    Later in the trailer you can see her in the old dress but compression is very bad in the trailer so no judging on the face is possible(middle part of image).
    Personally I prefer the older model from the E3 2011 presentations (right part of the image), but I guess it will not affect the quality of the game if she's getting another look.

Ever seen a photo of someone skydiving? That's the reason she looks different in the picture above, she falling from a great height so obviously her expression is not going to be the same as in the right image. And the fact that she is wearing something else doesn't mean she was changed completely, people change clothes, you know. And as you pointed out yourself in the same trailer we see her wearing the dress she wore in the E3 demo.

Same as Flint, I hope they kept her face from 2011 and in general sticked to that cartoon vibe for the chara design that bioshock games have always had.

I'd say Kirkreng's point on her looks are logical and likely explanations. We have also seen in previous trailers that when Elizabeth uses her powers it has an adverse effect on her. Could her appearance change throughout the game depending on how much of her powers you use? I think its possible and good indicator over say some sort of meter.

Or it could be one of the side effects of opening a tear. In the E3 demo, when she was trying to cure the horse, the skin of the horse changed its patterns, maybe when se opens a especiffic tear her clothes changes also

I can't agree with Kirkreng. In my eyes it's not only expression.
    The face has a different profile - the eyes, the nose, the lips. It's more that natural country-girl next door - not that vulnerable wispy town-girl that the E3-Elizabeth was.
    Maybe they have some surprises for us in the storyline - but it wouldn't be a Bioshock without that .
    I will never forget the meeting with Andrew Ryan .

Quote Originally Posted by IGlegacy_Felonious View Post
    Pretty good IGN Rewind theater on the trailer, breaks down the action - http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/22...erican-trailer
    I'm fashionably late to the party here but...

Firstly, thanks heaps for posting this - I somehow missed this one. 20 min breakdown of the trailer? Yes please!

Also, I tend to agree with the above comments about Elizabeth. I thought the same thing - she does look different to me. I really liked the images I had already seen, so I'm hoping that she hasn't been changed. (Though at about 12:20 in that video, you do see Elizabeth in her original outfit.)

Quote Originally Posted by IGlegacy_Felonious View Post
    I'd say Kirkreng's point on her looks are logical and likely explanations. We have also seen in previous trailers that when Elizabeth uses her powers it has an adverse effect on her. Could her appearance change throughout the game depending on how much of her powers you use? I think its possible and good indicator over say some sort of meter.
    Depending on the choices you make in the game ... her appearance and maybe personality/actions (tho more than a few graduations of the voice/what she says in each situation could become prohibitive to do extensively).

OK .... ?
    Last edited by watchman; 11-02-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Add an interrogation point, watchman.
    Well that that's pretty lame if they changed her once again. I remember people whining over her face at the time... but to imagine IG would modify her... Hoping I'm wrong.

I just reviewed the trailer (again, and again) and Battleship Bay caught my attention as well. To those wondering if they have water at that beach, I suggest a wave pool or an artifical wave machine, because if you look to the left, there is a surfboard rental station, that appears to have a small line of customers. There are also a few surfboards under the central-most beach umbrella.
    So there MUST be water of some sort, and it must have waves, or the surfboards would be useless.

This comes of being a wife to a non-gaming, longtime surfer, who of course will only see that ONE thing when watching the trailer.

Thank you to Irrational, for the new eye candy!

EDIT: There are also long boats? rowboats? leaning against the wall of shopes to the right behind the surfboard rental shop. There are also the stairs to what appears to be a Pier on the far right, and I cant imagine a pier without water below. Maybe they stock the wave pool with fish? The setup reminds me of Atlantic City from Boardwalk Empire (HBO).

Update to my comment above about Battleship Bay, The "surfboard rentals" looks more like a couple of surfers in their wetsuits conteplating a menu at a beach cafe, instead. There is another boat by the pier, and what look like seagulls on the pier.

Who knows their science? Doesnt water weigh more than stone? I would be interested to see how they elevate...who am I kidding, I want to see it ALL!

Bit of an anachronism, with surfing not really being popular until the 20s (more of a exposition before that by surfers from hawaii)

For ordinary people to be doing it large-scale it wasnt til the 40s.

Expecting waves large enough to warrant surfing is almost funny -- to be in Columbia.

---

Water is lighter than most rock -- typical density of ordinary rocks is about 2X that of water.

Of course water likes to slosh around and can precipitate a flow that would unbalance its container (how they keep these floating city blocks up in the air is difficult enough to explain to even worry about keeping them stable).

Nice to see some fresh new content to rekindle the hype.

36. I don't know about the water on Battleship Bay. Watchman is right. Water would destabilise structrue like Columbia to a very dangerous amount. And since we know that Columbia not made to stay at one point but to move around all over the skies of the world, it would be really dangerous to carry gigatons of water around too. Maybe Battleship Bay is some kind of tourist attraction. Something like the "Worlds highest beach" or "The beach in the clouds" or something like that. Maybe these surfboards and boats are just stylistic devices to create a beach feeling for the visitors who come to that beach to relax. Maybe the water in Columbia is replaced with clouds. The ships there are mostly Airships and so it would fit. Of course I do not know it for sure. To find out what it really is about, we will need to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by fullmoonstar View Post
    I don't know about the water on Battleship Bay. Watchman is right. Water would destabilise structrue like Columbia to a very dangerous amount. And since we know that Columbia not made to stay at one point but to move around all over the skies of the world, it would be really dangerous to carry gigatons of water around too. Maybe Battleship Bay is some kind of tourist attraction. Something like the "Worlds highest beach" or "The beach in the clouds" or something like that. Maybe these surfboards and boats are just stylistic devices to create a beach feeling for the visitors who come to that beach to relax. Maybe the water in Columbia is replaced with clouds. The ships there are mostly Airships and so it would fit. Of course I do not know it for sure. To find out what it really is about, we will need to wait and see.

Boats (like rowboats) you can operate in 2 feet of water. You could have small waves to have the surge up a very shallow beach for effect. For surfing, where waves propel the surfboard, the waves have to be large enough (there are wave machines that generate such in the real world)

But again, surfing at that point in time is an anachronism (I have to go see the scene to see what is being talked about) it might just be some of those old-time full body swimsuits (..... wetsuits didnt come along till the 40s/50s).

---

The whole scene doesnt look to me like 'the middle of a civil war' so I am wondering how the story plot will go ( a 'powderkeg' that the actions of Booker will 'ignite' ??)

The talk of water reminds me of how much water modern people use, and where THAT would come from (adds up to more bulk than food and other supplies) -- again with fantasy such things are "just taken care of" (kind of like how many modern people think, who havent a clue about where everything that they see/touch comes from).
    Last edited by watchman; 11-04-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Why can't people picture wealthy residents just having a sunbath on a beach mimicking those on actual ground? There might be a reason why we're not shown outside the right portion of the screen during the trailer. Because there's a trompe l'oeil painting? Having tons of water up there must be a hassle just to please a selected few so I might not be surprised if the architects would show more reason...

Quote Originally Posted by losstarot View Post
    Why can't people picture wealthy residents just having a sunbath on a beach mimicking those on actual ground? There might be a reason why we're not shown outside the right portion of the screen during the trailer. Because there's a trompe l'oeil painting? Having tons of water up there must be a hassle just to please a selected few so I might not be surprised if the architects would show more reason...
    The large boardwalk (on left) and whatever Battleship Bay buildings are (an indoor swimming pool? Band Dance Hall ? Casino?). A segment of water not too deep (enough for a 'dip' - could only extend 50 feet to the right - with that length of beach ) wouldnt be that much -- less then all that other stuff you see. That whole stretch of sand weighs more than a little by itself.

40. Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    But again, surfing at that point in time is an anachronism (I have to go see the scene to see what is being talked about) it might just be some of those old-time full body swimsuits (..... wetsuits didnt come along till the 40s/50s).
    (...)
    The talk of water reminds me of how much water modern people use, and where THAT would come from (adds up to more bulk than food and other supplies) -- again with fantasy such things are "just taken care of" (kind of like how many modern people think, who havent a clue about where everything that they see/touch comes from).
    Well I guess that is not a reason. Think about the tears. For example the one which was leading to a parallel dimensional 1983. So we just can't say that the tears have not brought the fasion of surfing to Columbia earlier. We just don't know what exactly the tears do and how they work. They are "windows to other dimensions". Besides that. It is not just about the suits these people are wearing.
    These things look like surfsboards, aren't they? Or what else could they be? Any ideas? But again I wonder what these people are surfing on or if the surfboards are just decoration. Maybe there is water up there. But it would not be enough to surf on it. Besides that since Columbia is moving around the water would be in motion too and the resonance of the waves could easily become a very big problem for the stability of the whole structure. So IF they have got water up there...it must have a deeper sense than just being there to look at it.

And watchman...What I really do not understand is why you are refering to the water in modern times now. This is completely off topic in my opinion...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast