Thread: Save game bug: Sudden loss of save games.

Save game bug: Sudden loss of save games.

Happened to be streaming and caught it on video.

http://www.twitch.tv/maxamous/b/335233375

I do a save before moving my second unit up ahead (just knew I was about to spot enemies) 1:00:40

and sure enough did, so i try rolling back to my last save I just did and it's gone! Along with the other recent ones all the way back to the previous day. 1:00:58

It's kind of quick but if you pay attention you'll see the previous saves there and then when I load they are gone.

What gives? How bout some steam cloud support for saves too!

I've been having the same problem. I started XCOM today, and only a couple of (pretty old) saves where shown.

It seems that the save game system cannot handle a "large" number of saves.

So I went to the save games folder (C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\my games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\SaveData) and moved most of the older save files to another directory. That workaround seems to work.

I do hope they fix this soon though, it would be quite annoying to constantly have to move savegames around.

I had this, after starting a new game, i looked at my saves and i had either 119 or 120 in total. I deleted all the game one saves and it went back to saving normally.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXAMOUS View Post
    Happened to be streaming and caught it on video.

http://www.twitch.tv/maxamous/b/335233375

I do a save before moving my second unit up ahead (just knew I was about to spot enemies) 1:00:40

and sure enough did, so i try rolling back to my last save I just did and it's gone! Along with the other recent ones all the way back to the previous day. 1:00:58

It's kind of quick but if you pay attention you'll see the previous saves there and then when I load they are gone.

What gives? How bout some steam cloud support for saves too!

It happens when you pass 100 saves it seems. Removing old saves, putting them into a backup folder seems to help. But it very annoying. Especially if you have autosave enabled.

Thanks for this warning. On my latest playthrough, I haven't been overwriting saves, just pressing forwards with new ones until I reach a certain point. I don't think I'm close to the 100 save limit yet, but I'd be getting there. Don't want my concurrent Ironman run deleted.

I am furious about this! Its really pissed me off. I've not lost a third day of progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    It happens when you pass 100 saves it seems. Removing old saves, putting them into a backup folder seems to help. But it very annoying. Especially if you have autosave enabled.
    The saves are there, but they are out of order. I thought I was losing saves too, but when I scrolled through the list I found my most recent save game midway through the list.

Just save Geoscape to one savegame and in-combat on 1-3 others, piss easy, I also enjoyed the "missing savegames" problem, real awesome.

Yup, playing classic ironman and doing well, then my save fails to load it says, must be corrupted. Fix this.

hi,

i have the same problem. here is a "workaround" and how i do it: quitting the game (exit to desktop), start it again and then the last saved sessions are showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesgaard View Post
    Just save Geoscape to one savegame and in-combat on 1-3 others, piss easy, I also enjoyed the "missing savegames" problem, real awesome.
    This would be easier, though, if you could actually name your save games with something descriptive. I admit that the first time I made a manual save, I actually made about three of them, since I got no feedback that the game had made one (let alone to type a name for one, as is usual with most games).

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice76 View Post
    This would be easier, though, if you could actually name your save games with something descriptive. I admit that the first time I made a manual save, I actually made about three of them, since I got no feedback that the game had made one (let alone to type a name for one, as is usual with most games).
    The UI was primarily 360-based, and I'm guessing people don't like typing in names on the 360 .

It's worth noting that the save dialog itself becomes very slow with a lot of save files - but quicksave (F9 or F10) is blisteringly quick - annoyingly the icon is so quick and down in the corner that you might miss it...

Another option is 'auto-save' which is located in the options screen I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamese401 View Post
    The saves are there, but they are out of order. I thought I was losing saves too, but when I scrolled through the list I found my most recent save game midway through the list.
    This is correct. But you can't use the mouse wheel for scrolling, then you don't see all the saves. Really annoying. Have to use the arrow keys to go down one by one. Not sure why this happens just suddenly.

It should be a priority fix in my opinion.

It is definetly the total number of savegames, I say.

I saved manually several times and when I tried to reload I was missing about the last 5 savegames.
    I deleted a large number of old saves, returned to the game and entered the "Load Game"-Screen again.
    My savegames were shown correctly then. The game saves correctly, but won´t display them.

I guess that happens if you are trying to program for multiple platforms in one step, just to save and make more money.
    Consoles are bringing death to the full PC-Gaming-Experience.
    PC-Gamers are forced to adopt to the abilities of these tiny, lame boxes.
    This is true for graphics, user-interfaces and the "overall-depth" of most of the games today.
    Sadly...

I can confirm this bug, too. The saved games are out of order. However, today I lost games. I played before I went to bed last night, 10/18/12. I don't have any games listed on 10/18/12. I deleted old games in hopes of it appearing, but no luck.

When will the saved game issue be resolved?

For what it's worth I had a sudden loss of games too. There were no saves in the program files save folder.

Did a pc search for gamesaves and found a folder (can't remember authorising that destination) had opened in

"My Documents" "My Games" "Xcom Enemy Unknown"

Inside the Xcom folder are 2 more folders "Binaries" and "Xcom Game"

Open the Xcom games folder and you should see a "Savedata" folder with all of your saves. At the time my saves were in the 70's.
    There was also another folder inside savedata called "Saves".

Then I had to copy the latest save from the savedata folder and paste it into the save folder.

Dragging the file into the folder caused it to malfunction so "copy and paste' is the way to go.

This save then appeared in the game save and I was able to load it.

A little annoying as you have to exit the game to get the latest save but at least it has kept me going forward.

Only other glitch then was some of my research and upgrades dissappeared which was annoying.

I hope this helps somebody.

My PC is still XP which has caused me a range of other problems trying to install the game but gameplay has been fluent until the save drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Nqguy View Post
    My PC is still XP which has caused me a range of other problems trying to install the game but gameplay has been fluent until the save drama.
    Sorry to say, but that is the major problem. They never said that Windows XP was supported, so if you managed to get it to work under that OS, good job on your part, but that's as far as it goes. Truth is, of course, that the game is still riddled with all sorts of bugs, so even under Windows 7 (or other supported OS'es), bugs still occur ... still, it might be better to upgrade to a better OS, if at all possible.

What I have discovered is: the game is making what it calls launch-backup files located at C:\Users\”(Your name here or whatever is here)”\Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Logs. These launch-backup files (the importance of these files is unknown to me) are causing the issue with the save game bug/issue. All I do is delete the launch-backup files (!!!DO NOT DELETE THE REGULAR LAUNCH FILE; only the ones that say launch-backup!!!). This has solved the problem with my saved games; I hope it works for you. Also, you can delete some of the saved games in the SaveData folder just below the logs folder that have built up at this time if you so choose at your own discretion (DO NOT DELETE THE ONE WITH THE HIGHEST NUMBER “example: save156”: this is your newest saved game). Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice76 View Post
    Sorry to say, but that is the major problem. They never said that Windows XP was supported, so if you managed to get it to work under that OS, good job on your part, but that's as far as it goes. Truth is, of course, that the game is still riddled with all sorts of bugs, so even under Windows 7 (or other supported OS'es), bugs still occur ... still, it might be better to upgrade to a better OS, if at all possible.
    Hi Maurice, Yes I know the time is nigh and XP is receiving diminishing support but XP has been a faithful servant to me so I am loath to let it go without a little kicking and screaming haha.