Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 266

Thread: You failed to make Enemy Unknown

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    England.
    Posts
    141
    I would never go back to horrible pacing issues mid to late game and the tedious micromanaging that plaqued the 1990's game design in general..The game is a chore.The X-Clones also failed because they copied this dated design but could not give you nostalgia.

    The new game is the important X-Com going forward.Suck it up.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
    In life sometime people do things we don't agree with, but as adults we realise we just need to accept what we cant change.
    Yeah, you must be a beatnik tree hugging peace activist. You know how to convert a Peace Activist? You corner them and keep punching until they die or fight back. Period. The human race is a fighting race. Period. No peace activist country has ever won or kept its indepence from other countries by talking nice. We can't change the new game, we know that! But we can speak up about our likes and dislikes and they DO listen. So, "accept what we cant change"??? If we can't change it and can't get what we want, we don't play it, it don't sell, they don't make money. Hooray for the ranters and ravers! Huzzah to the flamers! We effect change!
    Period.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTooth View Post
    Maybe not an apology. But I would definitely accept a refund.

    This one. ^^

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt1212 View Post
    There is nothing smart in UFO Defense when you get blaster bombs and psionics. Nothing. The game at that point is over and it's just a tedious slog towards Mars.

    Seriously, the amount of adoration given to UFO Defense for being tactics galore seems insane to me. I've completed entire missions from the safety of the skyranger.
    ahhh but you had a CHOICE to complete those missions from the sky ranger amiright?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    215
    If you bought a preorder that's the risk you have to take.

    If you purchased it after it's release then you should of played the demo.

    Am I wrong?

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaTime View Post
    If you bought a preorder that's the risk you have to take.
    Yep, and never again. Lesson learned.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Montreal,CA
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by haterofsteam View Post
    Yeah, you must be a beatnik tree hugging peace activist. You know how to convert a Peace Activist? You corner them and keep punching until they die or fight back. Period. The human race is a fighting race. Period. No peace activist country has ever won or kept its indepence from other countries by talking nice. We can't change the new game, we know that! But we can speak up about our likes and dislikes and they DO listen. So, "accept what we cant change"??? If we can't change it and can't get what we want, we don't play it, it don't sell, they don't make money. Hooray for the ranters and ravers! Huzzah to the flamers! We effect change!
    Period.
    one does not have to say period at the end of every sentence, period.

    but on a more serious note, i accept that you don't like the game, although i think the thing here is you're raving in quite a few threads, copy pasting the same message. we get that you don't like it, it's fine, but you must have something better to do with your time than bash a video game.

    also, you're being really agressive at people simply because they disagree with you, that's a problem man, you oughta fix that if you want to get somewhere in life.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTooth View Post
    ahhh but you had a CHOICE to complete those missions from the sky ranger amiright?
    Choice trumps tactical interaction? Who knew.

  9. #49
    Sorry, not everyone wants to go back in time to 1994.

    They had videos of gameplay up, if you didn't like what you saw why did you buy the game?

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    16
    sometimes the best tactical interaction is to let the enemy come to you

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    1,616
    I played it for two full days, finished and I'm really not sure if I want to play anymore really. Not much stuff to do. Little amount of equipment, little amount of base management, little amount of things to do in a mission. Even if I start over, I'll be doing mostly the same things. Oh well..

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt1212 View Post
    There is nothing smart in UFO Defense when you get blaster bombs and psionics. Nothing. The game at that point is over and it's just a tedious slog towards Mars.

    Seriously, the amount of adoration given to UFO Defense for being tactics galore seems insane to me. I've completed entire missions from the safety of the skyranger.
    I'd say the early part is very similar too. High Explosive bricks tossed everywhere to clear out buildings you don't even have to go into (creating my favorite 'floating second floor' affect. Blaster Bombs are just HE upgrades.

    Tedious departure from the Skyranger - the same thing every time - 20 - 30 -40 missions of it.

    Same linearity of weapon upgrades in the OG. Ballistic/Laser/Plasma. People citing the infinite ammo as the 'tough choice' in the OG seemed to have a difficult time with resource management or simply kept blaster bombing corpses that dropped new clips. Least now we have genuine CLASSES and CLASS weapons to use.

    Auto-Cannon/Heavy Cannon? Who kept using these past mission 0? Sure they were an option, but why pick a sub-optimal choice?

    List is endless.

    Original Game was AMAZING for what and when it was. To say it was perfect is silly.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    I played it for two full days, finished and I'm really not sure if I want to play anymore really. Not much stuff to do. Little amount of equipment, little amount of base management, little amount of things to do in a mission. Even if I start over, I'll be doing mostly the same things. Oh well..
    Serious questions:

    What were the big base management decisions you had to make in the first one?

    What was the variety in the missions? I only remember base assaults, terror and standard UFO missions.

    What were the different paths in the game available to prevent any repetitiveness?

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    108
    Xenonauts is not a remake of "UFO: Enemy Unknown", but a re-imagining... I might not even like it, or it could be better. I personally don't like the old school graphics it actually looks worse then UFO did and i have no idea about the gameplay, then again it might be different in it's final version.

    Even so, would have been a lot better if done by a big budget well established games producer with more resources. Now all we are left with is openxcom to fix all that was wrong with the original... and that's sad. This game will not be remembered like the original was, it lacks the gameplay of the original that made it what it was. I think they went in to this project with the best intentions but were told to make it more accessible for new players, hell even the original UFO game got messed about with from Microprose and was a complete rush job, it's by pure luck it ended up a fun playable game.

    This game is fun sure, but I can already tell it's not going to last as long due to there being only a very limited way of playing the game and way too much hand holding and the game forcing you to do stuff that you are uncomfortable with.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardecl View Post
    Xenonauts is not a remake of "UFO: Enemy Unknown", but a re-imagining... I might not even like it, or it could be better. I personally don't like the old school graphics it actually looks worse then UFO did and i have no idea about the gameplay, then again it might be different in it's final version.

    Even so, would have been a lot better if done by a big budget well established games producer with more resources. Now all we are left with is openxcom to fix all that was wrong with the original... and that's sad. This game will not be remembered like the original was, it lacks the gameplay of the original that made it what it was. I think they went in to this project with the best intentions but were told to make it more accessible for new players, hell even the original UFO game got messed about with from Microprose and was a complete rush job, it's by pure luck it ended up a fun playable game.

    This game is fun sure, but I can already tell it's not going to last as long due to there being only a very limited way of playing the game and way too much hand holding and the game forcing you to do stuff that you are uncomfortable with.
    Why does the game have to stand the test of time? Your last phagraph says it all. The game is fun.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Smoke Grenadia (Western Mass)
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    Little amount of equipment
    I just wanted to hop in here and point out that there are actually more soldier items in the new XCOM than there were in the OG. 28 in the OG to 36 in the NG. That's it.

  17. #57
    Auto-Cannon/Heavy Cannon? Who kept using these past mission 0? Sure they were an option, but why pick a sub-optimal choice?
    Guilty as charged ! I always had my leader equiped with a pistol on belt, and Rocket launcher with backpack full of reloads.
    My other marines (at least 6) used Auto-Cannons for the destruction power.
    And the rest had Rifles.

    Once I got lasers tho, I started switching; but god did I love the beggining of a campaign.
    Ever played the Demo of the OG ? I wish I still had it; that was some sweet challenging terror mission =)

    [Edit: Auto-Cannons, not heavy cannons... Was not a fan of these]
    Last edited by Francois424; 10-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    25
    There's a lot of things in the new one that are radically different from the old for sure.

    The issue of "waking up" groups of aliens seems to irk a lot of people, but I can see the logic of it. I mean they're there for some other reason than waiting for your (in their eyes) laughable resistance group to show up. They're there for abductions/sowing terror/what have you. And as far as that goes they do have patrols out looking for enemies while the rest do their jobs.

    If it really bugs you that they get a free move, deny them that move by investing in the battle scanner. Chuck it over a wall or wherever you want to give you a large radius of visibility that will reveal aliens without them noticing you and getting to cover.

    Also, if you do run into a group you can just pull back out of LOS and they will most times come looking for you resulting in sub-optimal movement for them like moving to a position that is flanked because they (at least on Classic) don't auto know where you are at all times.

    About multi-level buildings, there are maps with some. But I generally agree there needs to be more.

    As for the single Skyranger/squad of up to 6/choose 1 of 3 abduction mission issue, it definitely makes you feel pressured to do what you can for who you can, knowing you can't save them all. I personally like the tense atmosphere this generates as it makes me feel like what I choose to do or not do has weight to it. In the OG after you got yourself a nice foothold you could shoot down anything and everything, which while initially gratifying lead to boredom and tedium until you could get the Cydonia mission and end things.

    Anyway, that's my opinion on the whole thing. The new game does a better job of giving you the hopeless situation that you fight desperately against, and against all odds (hopefully) manage to strike a death blow to the aliens.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashbery76 View Post
    I would never go back to horrible pacing issues mid to late game and the tedious micromanaging that plaqued the 1990's game design in general..The game is a chore.
    Ya know, I really DID/DO love the original, but it's been a long time and I think you just reminded me of one thing that really annoyed me about the original... Hunting down the LAST alien on a huge map. Oh where... is my hairbrush.... oh where... is my hairbrush.....

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    kids now-days..

    first of all, grow up! as well as you can point the OP to the door for not liking this remake, he can also point you out of this thread if you don't like to have a civilized debate about it.

    this new XCOM is a pale shade compared with the old XCOm games. UFO-Defence and Terror from the Deep are two of the best games ever still. This one will be forgotten in 2 years from now on.

    you keep repeating this game is fun.. and might as well actually be.. but even solitaire might fun at certain times, for a few seconds.. yet that doesn't make it a great game.

    Most of you actually never played the original games. I propose you all a little experiment: play this damn game, and finish it, then play TFD, and finish it. Then come back in here, and tell me how much more you loved this new sorry re-make of what was, is and it will still be one of the greatest games of all time..

    I do dare you!

  21. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois424 View Post
    Guilty as charged ! I always had my leader equiped with a pistol on belt, and Rocket launcher with backpack full of reloads.
    My other marines (at least 6) used Heavy cannons for the destruction power.
    And the rest had Rifles.

    Once I got lasers tho, I started switching; but god did I love the beggining of a campaign.
    Ever played the Demo of the OG ? I wish I still had it; thatw as some sweet challenging terror mission =)
    I always had the Leader with pistol. Felt extra cool when I actually had to use it and it worked. The TU requirements were so low on it.

    I always prefered the Rocket Launcher to the Heavy Cannon. Anyone else who was weak just took the HE brick, set a timer to 3 and tossed it through windows, over hedges and onto every other piece of cabbage.

    The TUs needed for the Heavy Cannon and the Strength requirement made it feel unneeded to me.

    Never did play the Demo. Did for Jagged Alliance 2 and loved THAT to death, but missed the XCOM OG one. No internet to speak of to stay on top of these things!

  22. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    418
    This game is one of the best games I have ever played. Just goes to show some people can't be pleased. This game is so far beyond an improved version of the original it's not even funny. If you are an xcom fan and you can't see how this game is amazing, I am going to suggest you're over the top picky and are clinging to out-dated and bad game mechanics.

    Take Adonys' suggestion. Go back and play the original and all the other xcom games. I beat UFO defense and TFTD a couple of weeks before Enemy Unknown released. This game is a god-send.

    I am right at the very end and will be immediately starting a second game when I finish.

  23. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    I've played most of the UD and TFD using stun rods/thermal tazers/thermal launchers and vibro blades/thermic lances.. oh, and it was immense fun

  24. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by XCOM_Elite View Post
    This game is one of the best games I have ever played. Just goes to show some people can't be pleased.
    and this just goes to show some people are actually simpletons.. but can we restrain from name calling, please?

    I am working as a lead game designer for 10 years by now. I can break this game and analyze it piece by piece against original series pieces, and there are actually were few new game pieces, if any, which would be better, or at least on par compared with the old ones..

  25. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by adonys View Post

    I am working as a lead game designer for 10 years by now.
    Sweet, so which games were you the lead designer for? I'd love to critique some of your work. Maybe I enjoyed some of your games and would like to give you praise.

  26. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by adonys View Post
    and this just goes to show some people are actually simpletons.. but can we restrain from name calling, please?
    LOL pot meet kettle?

  27. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by vSphereGuy View Post
    Sweet, so which games were you the lead designer for? I'd love to critique some of your work. Maybe I enjoyed some of your games and would like to give you praise.
    yeah, rrright.. and what would have to do with the actual subject in here?

  28. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,293
    adonys, if you want to make a point, please do so without insulting people. Going from "some people can't be pleased" to "some people are actually simpletons" is escalating quickly rather than having a proper debate.

    Stop taking swings at each other and argue the points. Thanks.

  29. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by adonys View Post
    kids now-days..

    first of all, grow up! as well as you can point the OP to the door for not liking this remake, he can also point you out of this thread if you don't like to have a civilized debate about it.

    this new XCOM is a pale shade compared with the old XCOm games. UFO-Defence and Terror from the Deep are two of the best games ever still. This one will be forgotten in 2 years from now on.

    you keep repeating this game is fun.. and might as well actually be.. but even solitaire might fun at certain times, for a few seconds.. yet that doesn't make it a great game.

    Most of you actually never played the original games. I propose you all a little experiment: play this damn game, and finish it, then play TFD, and finish it. Then come back in here, and tell me how much more you loved this new sorry re-make of what was, is and it will still be one of the greatest games of all time..

    I do dare you!
    I prefer this game to TFD without question.

  30. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt1212 View Post
    I prefer this game to TFD without question.
    Double here. Talk about tedious repetitiveness.

  31. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    adonys, if you want to make a point, please do so without insulting people. Going from "some people can't be pleased" to "some people are actually simpletons" is escalating quickly rather than having a proper debate.

    Stop taking swings at each other and argue the points. Thanks.
    yes it was a little bit aggressive, but just in response to prove a point and make them understand that what they were doing was offensive. and I haven't seen you moderators actually pointing them that..

    anyway, back to the subject, there is a general game development paradigm which says that, no matter their genre, the best games are those who give as much freedom of choice as possible to their players, allowing players with various play styles and different gaming experience enjoy the game in their own ways. starting from game options, GUI and controls, going through game mechanics and ending with approaching, playing and finishing game's stages/levels/missions.

    the liberty of this new re-make is almost non-existent compared with the liberty offered by the original series games. at least from what the ones who played and finished this new re-make are talking around the internet..

  32. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy2212 View Post
    one does not have to say period at the end of every sentence, period.

    but on a more serious note, i accept that you don't like the game, although i think the thing here is you're raving in quite a few threads, copy pasting the same message. we get that you don't like it, it's fine, but you must have something better to do with your time than bash a video game.

    also, you're being really agressive at people simply because they disagree with you, that's a problem man, you oughta fix that if you want to get somewhere in life.
    I believe you may have replied to the wrong post... nowhere in MY post do I say 'I' don't like it. Frankly I LOVE Xcom, old and new. You might try re-reading my post to get the full concept; the advocation of speaking one's opinion can and does effect change, contrary to the notion that meek acceptance is all anyone can do. And, the usage of the word 'period' as emphasis of the finality to a statement is grammatically correct. Period. Flame on, troll.

  33. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    25
    I loved TFTD...but I like the new one better. All I should have to say about that is "Cargo Ship Missions" lol

  34. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,293
    Quote Originally Posted by adonys View Post
    yes it was a little bit aggressive, but just in response to prove a point and make them understand that what they were doing was offensive. and I haven't seen you moderators actually pointing them that..
    Please report the posts and we'll look at them. I've made several comments about not calling those with differing opinions "trolls" and not being overly aggressive just in this thread.

    Now, if you want to continue this discussion let's do it via PM. We're taking the thread off topic and moderation is not supposed to be discussed in public. Thanks.

  35. #75
    I agree completly with the OP. This game is a nice game, but so many things that made the OG great are missing here. It's sad when an 18 year old game came with more bells & whistles than the current, modern take. It's like Tribes:Ascend all over agian.

    I seriously don't like what they've done to "streamline" the process. I miss my inventory slots that made me feel like I was arming for war. I miss the different stats for my soldiers...compared to the 1 or two choice leveling up system that's integrated now. I miss free aiming, I miss selling back my old, worthless crap. I miss the detailed research data on aliens and equipment.

    I also hate the half-azz cover system. Practically every other map forces you to hide behind something explosive...cars blow up in two turns, you start off right in the middle of a gas station and go up against like 20 something aliens in one. I like a challenge, but give me a freakin' break.

    It's sad to say, I've been playing more of Civ 5 than X-Com. The tactical combat is fine (minus the bugs), but it's all the rest that has been streamlined to nothing more than an on-rails adventure.

  36. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by SenderX View Post
    I agree completly with the OP. This game is a nice game, but so many things that made the OG great are missing here. It's sad when an 18 year old game came with more bells & whistles than the current, modern take. It's like Tribes:Ascend all over agian.

    I seriously don't like what they've done to "streamline" the process. I miss my inventory slots that made me feel like I was arming for war. I miss the different stats for my soldiers...compared to the 1 or two choice leveling up system that's integrated now. I miss free aiming, I miss selling back my old, worthless crap. I miss the detailed research data on aliens and equipment.

    I also hate the half-azz cover system. Practically every other map forces you to hide behind something explosive...cars blow up in two turns, you start off right in the middle of a gas station and go up against like 20 something aliens in one. I like a challenge, but give me a freakin' break.

    It's sad to say, I've been playing more of Civ 5 than X-Com. The tactical combat is fine (minus the bugs), but it's all the rest that has been streamlined to nothing more than an on-rails adventure.
    It's a roguelike tactical game.

    Also, the mere fact you play Civ 5 at all, when Civ 4 is the pinnacle of the series is just staggering. Especially when your complaint is about this particular game being on the rails.

  37. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Its just a problem with the whole PC-Game industry. In almost every mainstream title the developer tries to prevent stupid player decisions. Its because they want the player to experience the game in way that they can control. They don't want bad user stories or bad PR out there. They are afraid of the screenshots of dicks that were built in EA's Spore. The result is less freedom for the player.

  38. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    Hey guys, either argue his points or don't post.
    What's there to argue? If you prefer the OG, play the OG. Pretty simple.

  39. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by xbeo View Post
    Its just a problem with the whole PC-Game industry. In almost every mainstream title the developer tries to prevent stupid player decisions. Its because they want the player to experience the game in way that they can control. They don't want bad user stories or bad PR out there. They are afraid of the screenshots of dicks that were built in EA's Spore. The result is less freedom for the player.
    So freedom to not the play a game in the way it was intended > a game that punishes you for not playing soundly.

  40. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt1212 View Post
    It's a roguelike tactical game.

    Also, the mere fact you play Civ 5 at all, when Civ 4 is the pinnacle of the series is just staggering. Especially when your complaint is about this particular game being on the rails.
    Wow, you're kinda arrogant in your assumptions. I've been a silent reader of these boards for awhile, and there sure alot of people like you on the forums here. What's kinda funny is that you TOTALLY missed the point of why I said that.

    ...Who said I don't play Civ 4? I play lotsa games, everything from SimCity, the entire Civ series, old school games like Pharaoh and Caesar, the Total War series, every iteration of UFO/X-Com derivative out there. Civ 5 might be a dumbed down version of Civ 4, but it's coming across more enjoyable than the non-tactical portions of X-Com: EU. Kinda ironic, huh? Herpa Derp.

    My comparison is between OG X-Com and this version and the parts that have been streamlined way too much for my enjoyment. I like to make choices for myself, not be led down a series of paths simply because the game is trying to make it "suspenseful" for me. So far, the only good part about X-Com that I've enjoyed thus far has been the tactical combat. The rest has been watered down into a choose-your-own adventure level of things.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •