Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti cheating mod and real ufos released! Classic difficult only

Anti cheating mod and real ufos released! Classic difficult only

This mod does:

- all aliens now play with default aim and critical hit values on classic difficult
    - ufos prepare for terror and abduction missions
    - second wave is enabled
    - halved construction time of new satellites

Hi there,

i love playing on ironman + classic but i realy hated the cheating AI. It gets +criticalchance and +aim% on classic, which leads to unfair gameplay. In one ironman classic game, i had 3 sectoids one shooting 3 vets from me in one turn while they had full cover and 10+ tiles distance.

With my mod, i removed the +criticalchance and +aim% from all aliens on classic difficult. You now get the full alien AI, without any cheating. I changed NO other values.

The game is still alot harder than normal difficult because the AI is fully active and the alien groups are way bigger. You will mostly notice that your soldiers now take 1-2 hits before they die, because the aliens wont crit like crazy anymore. The aliens will still have an allmost 100% crit chance if they flank you.

This mainly remove the unfair shots, like a sectoid one shooting your guy (crit) in full cover from across the map. It can still happen but it will be more rare.

You are also now able to intercept ufos that prepare for abduction and terror missions. Its pretty funny, cos the feature was completely in there, it was just disabled.

What does it do?

Before a terror or abduction mission happens, a ufo is spawned. The ufo now needs to fly to its destination...if you have satelite coverage, you can intercept it. If you shot it down, the mission wont happen after all.

On abduction missions, there are 3 ufos because of the 3 abduction sites which you usualy select after the abduction mission takes place. If you shot all 3 ufos down (very very hard to do), there will be NO abduction mission at all. If you shot down 2 of the 3 ufos, you still get the abduction mission but with only one of the 3 locations to select. This means that even shooting 1-2 ufos of the 3 down, will lower the panic spread by alot.

Its pretty realistic and i just love it.

You think that would be to easy?

This modification makes the game MUCH harder. Because these abduction and terror ufos are not destroyable with the starting interceptor. This means you get +2 panic for every ignored ufo and +1 panic if you attack it but fail to destroy it. These new ufos will also destroy your satellite network and finaly give you a reason to put some money into the interceptor stuff.

To counter the new panic spread, i halved the construction time of new satellites from 20 to 10 days. i first played with the old construction time but it was WAY to difficult.

I also think 10 days is much better because a brand new firestorm takes 13 days to build, so why does a satellite take 20 days? o.O

Second wave is also enabled which basicaly gives you the option to play a newgame+ with custom mutators.

Installation:

Extract the archive and just run modpatcher.exe and it should modify your game!

Have fun

Installation:

Download the mod here

Mod without terror and abduction ufos

Extract the archive and just run modpatcher.exe and it should modify your game!

Have fun
    Last edited by Darkreaver1980; 10-15-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Is this UFO spawning thing also working on other difficulties or only on classic? Or is it also possible to implement on the other diffiulties as well?

The ufo changes also work on other difficults.

I only removed the cheating stuff from classic, so if you play a other difficult, you wont notice anything, beside the new ufos for terror/abduction missions of course.

Ah, so easy mode?

Sounds good I will start a new classic ironman with this config.

Quote Originally Posted by chimeracreator View Post
    Ah, so easy mode?
    in some respects it is harder because you tend to lose a lot of fighter craft... and failure to even attempt to shoot down a UFO raises panic.

So, with more UFOs flying around.... you are in danger of letting panic run riot.

--------

I've done a similar mod, however i simply removed the +critical chances from the aliens on Classic and lowered their aim bonus from 10 to 5 for tier1-2 aliens.

I also limited the number of soldiers to 30 and raised their costs-to-hire.
    Upped XP needed for Capt, Major & Colonel in bands... you need significantly more XP in mine to get to colonel.

I also removed the "certianty" of certain UFO parts surviving crashes - so now you are not guarenteed shooting down certain ships will give you hyperwave (etc etc - its chance based), and upped the chances for standard UFOs appearing (max 3 per month now EX abductors)

And altered the satellite panic reduction chance factor - so the more panicked a nation the less likely a satellite is to reduce panic and avoid defection. i.e. high panic is more *dangerous*

Quote Originally Posted by Anbar View Post
    in some respects it is harder because you tend to lose a lot of fighter craft... and failure to even attempt to shoot down a UFO raises panic.

So, with more UFOs flying around.... you are in danger of letting panic run riot.

--------

I've done a similar mod, however i simply removed the +critical chances from the aliens on Classic and lowered their aim bonus from 10 to 5 for tier1-2 aliens.

I also limited the number of soldiers to 30 and raised their costs-to-hire.
    Upped XP needed for Capt, Major & Colonel in bands... you need significantly more XP in mine to get to colonel.

I also removed the "certianty" of certain UFO parts surviving crashes - so now you are not guarenteed shooting down certain ships will give you hyperwave (etc etc - its chance based), and upped the chances for standard UFOs appearing (max 3 per month now EX abductors)

And altered the satellite panic reduction chance factor - so the more panicked a nation the less likely a satellite is to reduce panic and avoid defection. i.e. high panic is more *dangerous*
    I prefer the OP's. Yours has too many restrictions.

Nice work! Especially the intercept UFO, provides more a realistic depth of game-play!

Can you mod the aliens so that they aren't activated by running into them, but they are always on? I hate the fact they are static... they should all be walking around doing their own thing.

Yup, but we both know that an escaped UFO only adds 1 panic while an abduction adds 2 to the country affected (3 on impossible) and 1 to the rest of the continent, and since an escaped UFO can only occur if you have a satellite any chance to shoot one down is almost always a net gain if you have two interceptors and can thus spread the damage across both. It also makes it possible to fight a winning war late game which fundamentally alters the tenor of the experience.

Now don't get me wrong I'm glad that the game can be so easily tweaked using the DefaultGameCore.ini and its related files. It's how I had a lot of fun with the demo, but reducing the difficulty by weakening aliens is just that reducing the difficulty. Beating an impossible ironman run while giving aliens all 1hp isn't really beating an impossible ironman run just like beating the game with half boosting aliens on classic isn't really beating it on classic. Hell I debated doing the change myself at some point since the classic AI is clearly more fun than the normal one, but it just feels cheap to me.

Yup, but we both know that an escaped UFO only adds 1 panic while an abduction adds 2 to the country affected (3 on impossible) and 1 to the rest of the continent,
    That's kinda assuming nothing else was changed.

Beating an impossible ironman run while giving aliens all 1hp isn't really beating an impossible ironman
    wow, who did that?

Oh, nobody did that... I see what you did there! :-0

i think its still fine, because there will be 3 ufos on abduction missions and its very hard to shot down more than one, because you need satelittes and interceptors on the affected continent.

I just started a new game and shot down one abduction ufo....had 2 missions to select and failed with my soldiers, so the panic still rised alot :P.

I have to be honest, this mod sounds like it would make Classic way too easy.

As it stands my team is already nearly invincible and I'm still mostly using Carapace armour only (I have 1 suit of Titan). I played carefully and have a team of high ranking soldiers and they have so far handled everything thrown at them with ease (except 1 plot mission where I lost a few rookies.. should've brought my veterans).

Classic is reasonably difficult, but hardly anything to sweat over that much ... the mod would make it as easy as normal difficulty :/

This is already in the game and mostly only happens on classic + impossible.

i allways set up a trap for the aliens and wait till they come.

i only removed the 10% additional aim + crit chance on the aliens, they still have the same hp etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathur View Post
    Classic is reasonably difficult, but hardly anything to sweat over that much ... the mod would make it as easy as normal difficulty :/
    totally bogus post.

Look how many people want something harder than normal but without the critical-hit (issues) of classic?

With all the other changes to classic this mod is nothing like normal at all... honestly your post shows an almost total lack of understanding of what changes in the game between normal and classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkreaver1980 View Post
    This is already in the game and mostly only happens on classic + impossible.

i allways set up a trap for the aliens and wait till they come.
    Maybe you should do another mod for just the UFOs ? Many people may not be interested in the other bit.

It wont work if u just replace this file. U need to insert it to.exe using hacking resource program. I know coz I did it. I also extended ufo crash, landed site to 3days like in OG

Look how many people want something harder than normal but without the critical-hit (issues) of classic?

With all the other changes to classic this mod is nothing like normal at all... honestly your post shows an almost total lack of understanding of what changes in the game between normal and classic.
    I completely agree that people have a right to play at whatever difficulty they want. I just object to people claiming that sectoids getting a 10% crit chance and a 55% chance to hit you when you're in low cover on classic and impossible is somehow cheating. It isn't, it's part of the original difficulty setting. Removing it makes it classic lite, just like adding it to normal difficulty makes it a nastier version of normal and setting the starting terror level on easy to 80 gives you a very short game.

I'm new and noticing alot folks seem to be obsessed with chest beating over difficulty levels...

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfeller View Post
    Maybe you should do another mod for just the UFOs ? Many people may not be interested in the other bit.
    I would definitely be interested in just a UFO mod. It would be nice to have a more active role in stopping the aliens.

I do wonder how much it affects panic levels and money though. If you shoot down all 3 is there enough time to send your squad to all 3 crashed sites (or do they even leave crash sites that you can go to?). Which actually gets me thinking, you would probably need way more soldiers if this is the case, and there would be a heck of a lot more exp available.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkreaver1980 View Post
    you are also now able to intercept ufos that prepare for abduction and terror missions. Its pretty funny, cos the feature was completely in there, it was just disabled.
    Why was this disabled, seems it would have made for a more immersive game imho.

Good job on the Mod, will try it once i finish the game

I just included the auto patcher, so the changes will actualy work now!

just download the .rar again and run the modpatcher.exe

Quote Originally Posted by BongoBong View Post
    I would definitely be interested in just a UFO mod. It would be nice to have a more active role in stopping the aliens.

I do wonder how much it affects panic levels and money though. If you shoot down all 3 is there enough time to send your squad to all 3 crashed sites (or do they even leave crash sites that you can go to?). Which actually gets me thinking, you would probably need way more soldiers if this is the case, and there would be a heck of a lot more exp available.
    Yeah it would be nonstop fighting. Anything up to x3 the tactical missions in vanilla. Provided of course that you are able to build an airforce powerful enough to bring down all of the UFOs.

Wow thanks for this mod! I didn't know aliens had +crit and +chances in classic, I thought it was completely fair.

This sounds like a great balancer to classic, instead of now with the extreme satellite rushing, interceptors get a bit more play.

Oh does this work on classic + no ironman? Or only ironman?

I completely agree that people have a right to play at whatever difficulty they want. I just object to people claiming that sectoids getting a 10% crit chance and a 55% chance to hit you when you're in low cover on classic and impossible is somehow cheating. It isn't, it's part of the original difficulty setting. Removing it makes it classic lite, just like adding it to normal difficulty makes it a nastier version of normal and setting the starting terror level on easy to 80 gives you a very short game.

right, gotchya...

yeah, the terminology is poor by the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Mutton View Post
    Wow thanks for this mod! I didn't know aliens had +crit and +chances in classic, I thought it was completely fair.

This sounds like a great balancer to classic, instead of now with the extreme satellite rushing, interceptors get a bit more play.

Oh does this work on classic + no ironman? Or only ironman?
    ... it is still fair. The only difference is that sectoids and thinmen are as good as accurate as sergeants while floaters are almost as accurate as rookies.

... it is still fair. The only difference is that sectoids and thinmen are as good as accurate as sergeants while floaters are almost as accurate as rookies.
    Do we know what the alien base accuracy is though? Rookie starts at 65, then usually around +10 or +15 later.

Do we know what the alien base accuracy is though? Rookie starts at 65, then usually around +10 or +15 later.
    Yes we do:

Sectoids and Thinmen are 65, Floaters are 50, Mutons are 70 and have 10 defense. If you want to know more please check out the ini file which is being modded as it contains all of this information and shows exactly how difficulty changes these stats for each alien. It should be noted that the file refers to impossible as classic because originally the developers intended classic to be the hardest difficulty setting, but likely changed their mind when they realized how many fans would try it first and fail utterly as a result. :P

Wait, so in the ini file Hard is classic and and Classic is impossible? Just making sure I'm looking at the right ones.

Seems the original +10s are reasonable then. Still, the ability to intercept abduction missions sounds good.

Wait, so in the ini file Hard is classic and and Classic is impossible? Just making sure I'm looking at the right ones.

Seems the original +10s are reasonable then. Still, the ability to intercept abduction missions sounds good.
    Yep, which is why every time I see this complaint it makes me want to throttle someone. Now that said I can understand why it bothers people, that +10 difference can really hurt at times. If you have a rookie and a thinman both in high cover exchanging fire the thinman has a 35% chance to hit while your rookie only has a 25% chance and on classic that thin man is just as durable as your rookie so on average he wins, and if he spits poison first your 5% to hit makes you a very sad rookie.

Thank you so very much. This is perfect. One of the best parts of the original was being able to thwart the alien's plans by shooting down the corresponding UFOs. It really made it feel like an invasion where you had an effect on the game rather than just playing random events until you win or lose.

I really enjoy the new mission/combat side of this game, but the world/strategy layer was bugging me and deeply killing the immersion for me. I think this is exactly what I needed to enjoy the strategy layer more. I can't believe they had this in and removed it. Bad call in my opinion.

Thanks again for finding it and sharing it.

Is there a possibility that we may get a mod that only decreases alien aim/crit values to normal? I appreciate all the effort that went into this but I like abduction missions myself and would like to have their rewards instead.

This mod sounds excellent... I will probably install it for my next game. Just completing classic... next up is to try it on Ironman - and it will be more realistic and fair this way.

Have you considered adding this to XCOM Nexus? They have a mod enabling Second Wave, but definitely need more modders. Lots of people are hungry for mods

To get the UFO abduction part and not the rest all you have to do is download this mod, extract it.

Go to Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config (or where ever your config folder is)

Copy DefaultGameCore.ini to the folder where you extracted the Mod.

go into the DefaultGameCore.ini file and search for ShowUFOsOnMission=0 and change it to ShowUFOsOnMission=1

save it, then delete DefaultGameCore.mod that came with this mod.

Rename DefaultGameCore.ini to DefaultGameCore.mod then follow the instructions that came with this and it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    Is there a possibility that we may get a mod that only decreases alien aim/crit values to normal? I appreciate all the effort that went into this but I like abduction missions myself and would like to have their rewards instead.
    You might still get abduction missions because one or more of the UFOs may still get through. Unless you blanket the skies with aircraft and bring down every single UFO.

One of the things about the original that was so ahead of its time was the ability to have an effect on the aliens' plans by shooting down craft such as Terror Ships. Are you saying that without a mod like this, that excellent feature is no longer in the game? I was worried about that. Bad move, Firaxis; but as I said a few days ago, the PC modders will release stuff that will make a great game even better.

Shame nothing can be done about the console versions - but there it is - the most obvious reason why the PC is the most versatile gaming machine around. No console wars, just a fact - as mods such as this demonstrate. I might well give this a try in my next game.

Quote Originally Posted by Taika View Post
    This mod sounds excellent... I will probably install it for my next game. Just completing classic... next up is to try it on Ironman - and it will be more realistic and fair this way.

Have you considered adding this to XCOM Nexus? They have a mod enabling Second Wave, but definitely need more modders. Lots of people are hungry for mods
    I believe someone else already put a similar mod on Nexus.

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/5/

Whats wrong when i get the msg "Error @ Copy" when running the modpatcher.exe file?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfeller View Post
    I believe someone else already put a similar mod on Nexus.

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/5/
    Indeed... looks like similar ideas are popping up, although the balance mod doesn't fix the crit+aim cheats on classic, while it does tweak a lot of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Taika View Post
    Indeed... looks like similar ideas are popping up, although the balance mod doesn't fix the crit+aim cheats on classic, while it does tweak a lot of other things.
    I'm still wondering why so many people refer to the crim and aim as cheats.

They are aliens, they are more advanced, the are better at aiming and finding weak spots. Humans are just inferior (at least at that difficulty level). It's one of the things that makes classic actually hard, why would you want to mod it out?

The UFO thing is nice though, might give it a go later.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast