Thread: Would like 2K to explain why the Aliens have close to 100% shot Accuracy every time?

Would like 2K to explain why the Aliens have close to 100% shot Accuracy every time?

I love this game..gotten pretty far in it..yet I have some complaints for 2K. One..it seems kinda cheap to have our characters HP max out at Colonel, and only using certain armor like Titan can improve it somewhat..yet the Aliens HP just get higher and higher the further along til their's is like double ours. Second..I would like 2K to explain why our soldiers can miss a 89% shot or even a shot when the alien is standing right in front of you..but they can hit you 9/10 time from clear across the map while your under cover or behind a freaking wall, even if they aren't available in your sighting apparently they got x-ray vision..and I'm playing on easy to learn the game. Just seems a little bit over the top when 3 Elite Muton's can darn near take out my entire team in two moves and my players all miss high percentage shots even with the advanced scope. OH! One last thing..where is it strategic to not allow all teammates to use both a medpack and grenade? 1 slot except for higher ranked support seems a little unfair.

LOL...

Another one of these threads.....

Guess what, you can miss a 99% chance shot as well as your 89%....

I agree on the med kit and grenade thing. Seems pretty freakin' laughable I can't carry both.

honestly i think a lot of it is because the AI generally won't take the shot unless it has good odds to start. Generally preferring movement or overwatch instead in those cases. So it feels like whenever they shoot they hit, because whenever they shoot the odds are pretty good they'll hit.

Quote Originally Posted by froste View Post
    honestly i think a lot of it is because the AI generally won't take the shot unless it has good odds to start. Generally preferring movement or overwatch instead in those cases. So it feels like whenever they shoot they hit, because whenever they shoot the odds are pretty good they'll hit.
    I can buy that... yet, something does seem a bit odd regarding X-COM hits at the advanced stages of the game. I understand that the more advanced aliens are harder to hit, but that *should* be reflected in the aim % when targeting alien units. It's just that, something is just odd when an entire team of Col's miss +85% shots several turns in a row; I even seen this happen across consecutive missions.

Maybe the pseudo-random number generator just hates players or its seed value is only generated per mission/turn instead of per action.

Or maybe you don't understand statistics. With a million (or whatever) people playing a million games, it's statistically likely that somebody is going to have situations like 3 misses at 90% in a row. I think you should read up on observation bias, though. You're more likely to remember something failing and going bad than you are to remember and submit as evidence here those times when you made 5 60% shots in a row.

Aliens don't gain any hp. A thin man I encountered in a council mission a few days before I launched the final mission had the same hp as a thin man I met on my 2nd mission.

where is it strategic to not allow all teammates to use both a medpack and grenade?
    That is a very definition of strategic. You have a choice to make.

yet the Aliens HP just get higher and higher the further along til their's is like double ours.
    Assault with titan has 22 HP. Mutons have 10, Muton Elite and Heavy Floaters have 14, Berserkers have 20.

Not sure if serious.

I think you should read up on observation bias, though.
    Yes, this. I do it myself, and then after I stop bashing my keyboard into the desk, I realize that random is random, and I don't notice so much when I hit 3 25% shots in a row, but if it goes against me in the same manner, I flip.

Shot accurasy is ok,I guess they have a high aim stat to begin with anyway, like they used to in the original.

What does seem a bit overly high is their overwatch accuracy though. I'm one step from believing that they don't have an aim penalty on overwatch like we do.

the AI is optimized to shoot you from the highest avaliable cover + accuracy spot on the map.

It is up to you to NOT let them do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SenderX View Post
    I agree on the med kit and grenade thing. Seems pretty freakin' laughable I can't carry both.
    Hmmm. If they had to remove the inventory system entirely, then more item slots was a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nefloyd View Post
    Or maybe you don't understand statistics. With a million (or whatever) people playing a million games, it's statistically likely that somebody is going to have situations like 3 misses at 90% in a row.
    That would be true if all of the turns were part of the same sample size. A hundred different games of 10 turns each are different than 1 game with 1000 turns. The million games are actually independent and identically distributed random variables, although a 20 turn game is really too small a sample and you would need to use small sample statistics. What you would expect to see is somewhat normal distribution across the independent variables and expect to see something like 68-95-99.7 distribution from the mean. This discounts the modifiers for accuracy, cover, etc., but sets the mean of 1-100 at 50 (it's really 50.5, but 50 is close enough).

Of course they are different, that's why someone is going to get hit with 3 misses in a row like that. Just like some lucky fellow is going to make a bunch of 15% shots.

I'll agree on the "Medkits are an inventory item" thing - Supports are directly offered perks to benefit their medkit usage - several in fact if memory serves. Heavies are forced to use rocket launchers - and get several perks for this.

Then why isn't a medkit a forced item (either for free or uses the pistol slot) to "balance" the way classes affect gear (not to be confused with gameplay balancing - this is a question of "easy to use and understand")

Because they get the smoke grenade for free. Medkit is an option, you don't have to take the perks that boost it.

Aliens hit and humans miss because aliens are superior to humans. Simple as that

i kind of agree.. it's as if short cover and no cover are exactly the same. it just effects how critical the shots are.

Quote Originally Posted by froste View Post
    This basically is it. The alien will most likely do what it has the highest chance of success at. If it's miss rate is anything lower then about 50%, it will move twice. If it's above that, they will most likely shoot and hit.

An easy example of "forcing" an alien to do what you want is with the Sectoid Commander. He WILL try to mind controll the unit in sight with the weakest will unless he has a better chance to hit something with his plasma pistol. With this knowlage and dealing with just sectoid commanders, you can basically just run out in the open and get close to them for free shots while only taking 3 (6 critical max) and getting better hits on them.

Also on the support medicts thing: there is a skill later to allow a support to carry two items.

This is clearly an L2P issue.

Seriously, this game is hard, and its good. Its actually quite easier than OG, where even your BEST dude could still die to ONE single shot from ANY alien (all aliens carried best weapon from some month till the end of the game). It is frustrating if you dont learn to play it. If you dont WANT to learn to play, play on easy. If you want to beat Classic Ironmans (when they fix the gamebreaking bugs, that is) reliably - you gotta learn to play. Use overwatch ambushes, use tall cover, never provoke more than one pack at a time (when you have a choice), learn how to trick AI into picking a wrong cover spot (like, spook them from flank, so they take cover in a position that all your other dudes can flank), learn how to use each class to its max, learn how to effectively tech and build base, etc.

Rookie in a skeleton suit (available quite early) with nanofiber has 8 HP on Classic, thats enough to live through most of the enemy fire. Once he becomes a squaddie, if you dont expose him, he should survive almost any shot and even a cryssalid hit. Your higher ranked dudes will reach 11 HP w/o any problem (using only skeleton suit), that is enough to survive any shot until plasma rifles show up, by that time you should have your snipers up so that they can toast those muton before they get a shot off at you. Assaults get more HP, Heavies get more HP as they level up, snipers dont need hp since they are in the back and supports can carry a second item - chitin if you need extra HP. So yeah, no problem there if you play it correctly!

Really, most deaths happened to me on my first missions (before i got squad sight sniper running and 5 men squad) and on first terror mission (damn cryssalids got two of my men, what's worse is that i could have avoided one of those if i'd play correctly). Since then - no deaths. I dont let them flank me, and so they dont hit me for more than 10 damage. I have enough firepower (2 snipers, 2 support, heavy, assault) to blast any enemy squad to oblivion. I'll see what the game has to throw at me, but when they start fielding ethereals and stuff, then i'll have my snipers flying in archangel armor raining death with double tap, and my other dudes in ghost armor (invulnerable and invisible, lol!) so yeah, i dont see a problem coming.

Above all, this game is unfair and buggy. Latter is a pity and very bad, but they are fixing it fast. If enemies spawn on your head or behind your backs (inside a cleared area you secured) and kill your dudes because of this bug - reload, you are not liable for developer's shortsightedness. If you get hit for 2 damage, and then all squad goes mad and panics and shoots each other and all die horribly, thats unfair, but thats part of the game. If you dont want to accept such "unfairedness" - maybe you chose a wrong game to play. Still, you can reaload in that case too - since a chance of this happening is VERY low and usually you did no mistake to deserve this. Everything else is risk management, this isnt chess, this is a game about taking your chances and having high stakes.