Thread: Telekinetic Field

Telekinetic Field

Telekinetic Field

Pretty neat ability, but, still, something wierd I found out. Fist - if squad member is supressed, activating Telekinetic Field doesn't change supress. I know, that I must ignore such small problem, but still: it's illogical that enemy firing surpass field with same succes, as there won't be any shield.

And other thing, which isn't some 'bug', but I was sadly surprised anyway: at fight with last enemy (won't spoil), I used field. After enemy used they're telecinetic powers, I found out, that field don't interupt ANY psi powers. At first point - yes, it's logical, as description clearly say, that Field boosts defence against more basic firing attacks. But still, at leat, little boost to anti-psi abilities should be nice.

There already is another psi ability that boosts psi defense (and offense).

I guess it's a fine ability, but mind control is simply better.

Currently I'm running a team of 6 mind controllers in Psi armor. I never knew Classic Ironman can become so easy. Six Mutons clustered together having a grenade suicide party is quite the sight, after they've completely annihilated the Ethereal of course.

I thought Telekinetic Field was a great ability. My soldiers were happy being clumped up behind cover, in a smoke grenade cloud, and under a telekinetic field. Then the grenades started to fall on their heads..... Mutons and Cyberdisks can really toss those damn things far!

I love the ability. 1 with MC and 1 with TF. Makes for easy pickings. But yeah, grenades are your worst enemy.

Mind Control is great when you not face Crysalids, Cyberdisks and other mechanical, mindless aliens. I tend to give Telekinetic field to my support only, rest of the squad are using offensive psionics

You can mind control crysalids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane_Severance View Post
    You can mind control crysalids.
    Only if you're really lucky. The highest chance i've ever seen to try and get control one was 15%.

And that was on normal.

By the point you get psionics, you probably have a squad that can rain death from the skies already and just want to end the game. Your sniper alone (assuming you only have one... haha) can wreck 1-2 aliens on his turn most of the time. So I'd rank telekinetic field higher than mind control for single player most of the time, as you can probably just move in a ball of invulnerability without even bothering to use cover much. Plus the hardest point of this game is prolly facing 2 sectopods, which mind control doesn't affect.

I'd still take along one mind controller though for the novelty meat shield. :P

Quote Originally Posted by GhoXen View Post

Currently I'm running a team of 6 mind controllers in Psi armor. I never knew Classic Ironman can become so easy. Six Mutons clustered together having a grenade suicide party is quite the sight, after they've completely annihilated the Ethereal of course.
    I like TK field over mind control on my sniper(s) as they should never be within range to mind control anything. Also, my first psi-troop only had a will of like 50, so I figured giving her mind control was kind of pointless.

But yes, mind control is really, really good. Aliens always seem to attack the mind-controlled guy instead of my troops, and having a throw away scout is awesome.

Also...are chrysalids harder to mind control than ethereals? On my last playthrough, I had a guy who had a 94% chance to mind control ethereals (which is hilarious...also, I want the ethereal's weapon to use instead of a pistol), but never bothered to try on a chrysalid.

Anything with 10 HP or less and out of cover gets wrecked by snipers. I actually ran out of ammo on 1 turn with my sniper with condensed ammo ;x.

My sniper ended the game with something like 35 will :x Poor guy had been with me since the beginning and had over 140 kills over 23 missions or so.

Quote Originally Posted by GhoXen View Post
    I used the mind control for the soldiers with lots of will, otherwise i think the TF is quite good, but its far from logical that grenades go through, if beam weapons wouldn't go through it would make actually much more sense than the other way around.

Big question for me is: does the telekenetic field affect flying units?? i only have an ironman save and dont want to experiment with that, but i started to play some MP 20k matches recently and would love to boost my CD's defense with a psi guardian...

I'll post when I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderty View Post
    ... if squad member is supressed, activating Telekinetic Field doesn't change supress. I know, that I must ignore such small problem, but still: it's illogical that enemy firing surpass field with same succes, as there won't be any shield..
    TK field won't end the suppression, since the enemy suppressing you is still taking those shots. But assuming the unit being suppressed still has two actions, you should be able to move it out of suppression and then take a shot with a high degree of safety. After all, the reaction fire the suppressing alien will take will have the -20 penalty to hit, and TK field will give your unit +40 to defense.

And I would like it if the field caused grenades to basically mis-fire; say randomly move 2-3 squares in any direction from where they were trying to throw them, to simulate the pushing force TK field is exerting in the area.

TF is another seemingly pointless ability for me...every time I've used it, guess what? Muton chucks a grenade! BOOM! Floaters have grenades as well, don't they? And TF doesn't stop berserkers, does it? Just looks pretty useless to me. MC seems a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by FacultyOfReason View Post
    TF is another seemingly pointless ability for me...every time I've used it, guess what? Muton chucks a grenade! BOOM! Floaters have grenades as well, don't they? And TF doesn't stop berserkers, does it? Just looks pretty useless to me. MC seems a better bet.
    Heavy Floaters have grenades. The first tier Floaters don't however. The ability has it's uses, but suffers from the fact the AI knows when it can't make a shot, and will use grenades to compensate. It's the same issue with Smoke as well.

You can make your soldiers nigh impossible to hit with firearms, but that just means they'll use grenades or acid spit if they have access to those abilities. So you have weigh the factors before using TK field or Smoke grenades, does the enemy have access to abilities or gear that do not use an attack roll like grenades or acid spit?

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    Heavy Floaters have grenades. The first tier Floaters don't however. The ability has it's uses, but suffers from the fact the AI knows when it can't make a shot, and will use grenades to compensate. It's the same issue with Smoke as well.

You can make your soldiers nigh impossible to hit with firearms, but that just means they'll use grenades or acid spit if they have access to those abilities. So you have weigh the factors before using TK field or Smoke grenades, does the enemy have access to abilities or gear that do not use an attack roll like grenades or acid spit?
    What does the TF stop apart from plasma fire? Does it work on:

Berserkers?
    Thin man poison spits?

I think I suffered from some heavy damage from a sectopod using TF but I'm not sure if the sectopod was outside of the TF though...does the TF stop all of the sectopod's attacks?

MC is much better for one simple reason. I use it as a oops option. Say I can't kill all the aliens or I goofed and activated 2-3 groups. I MC a muton (always 100%) as my last activity for the turn. Because he is now most likely flanking the other aliens he becomes target number 1 to them. A MC'd elite muton usually takes 2 shots to kill even for the aliens. Then next turn I move him near the other aliens and grenade himself removing their cover and usually killing the MC'd unit. Works like a charm every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by FacultyOfReason View Post
    What does the TF stop apart from plasma fire? Does it work on:

Berserkers?
    Thin man poison spits?

I think I suffered from some heavy damage from a sectopod using TF but I'm not sure if the sectopod was outside of the TF though...does the TF stop all of the sectopod's attacks?
    Pretty sure it only affects attacks with a roll. So grenades, AOEs, and Thin Men Spit are not affected (fairly sure of this, anyone feel free to correct me on this)

Not sure about the Sectopods chest cannon, but I would expect it's affected by TK field as well.

I've never tried TF but not in general a fan of psionics. The 1 time I ever use mind control is simply when I activate a ton of enemies at once. MC a Muton Elite or Heavy Floater and watch everyone shoot at it. The problem I always find is you can't release them. Please tell me some tips on MC and/or get pissed at me for not liking psionics.

Quote Originally Posted by Exterrestrial_killer View Post
    I've never tried TF but not in general a fan of psionics. The 1 time I ever use mind control is simply when I activate a ton of enemies at once. MC a Muton Elite or Heavy Floater and watch everyone shoot at it. The problem I always find is you can't release them. Please tell me some tips on MC and/or get pissed at me for not liking psionics.
    If for some reason the MC muton/floater survies the enemies round I move them next to an alien and drop a grenade at its feet. Now as long as the MC'd alien had 5 HP or less that ends up killing it. On the rare occassions where it's still alive and about to be released I put my squad on overwatch and leave the alien out in the open. It no longer has a grenade and as soon as it moves to cover it get whacked. Many times it stands still and does nothing and I kill it next turn.