Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double tap VS In the Zone

Double tap VS In the Zone

I was just wondering if anyone uses in the zone over double tap?

I do and have 5 kills due to the constant shooting the sniper can dish out!

Or is double tap the superior upgrade?

I've never tried in the zone actually... :/

I haven't tried in the zone. I get a lot of use out of double tap. I would imagine that you'd get that rare multi kill out of in the zone but that it wouldn't pop up nearly as frequently, so they should be somewhat balanced vs each other. I prefer steady and consistent.

Double Tap is pretty good. In The Zone is probably overpowered, it's right up there with Squad Sight and Opportunist as the best Sniper abilities.

ITZ synergises massively with Flush and any and all cover-destroying explosives. On classic in the Alien Base I triggered 3 groups at once - mutons, heavy floaters and chryssalids. They were close enough together that a rocket took out their cover. My ITZ sniper cleaned up; 6 kills in one turn (a couple were out of LOS, other soldiers got em), over 50 damage, and ending on overwatch.

I got multikills at least once on nearly every mission with ITZ. Also it has no cooldown, unlike Double Tap. Chryssalids are always exposed for the purposes of ITZ, as are all flying units.

See thats what I get with in the zone, yet double tap gets all the Forum press!

Glad to see someone else sees its uses

Quote Originally Posted by Eejit View Post
    Double Tap is pretty good. In The Zone is probably overpowered, it's right up there with Squad Sight and Opportunist as the best Sniper abilities.

ITZ synergises massively with Flush and any and all cover-destroying explosives. On classic in the Alien Base I triggered 3 groups at once - mutons, heavy floaters and chryssalids. They were close enough together that a rocket took out their cover. My ITZ sniper cleaned up; 6 kills in one turn (a couple were out of LOS, other soldiers got em), over 50 damage, and ending on overwatch.

I got multikills at least once on nearly every mission with ITZ. Also it has no cooldown, unlike Double Tap. Chryssalids are always exposed for the purposes of ITZ, as are all flying units.
    I've never used ITZ, but that is probably the best case scenario. IIRC, you have to kill with ITZ to get a bonus attack? As such, it's not as good at taking out things like berserkers and sectopods. Whereas my Double Tap sniper can.

Pros and Cons.

Thing is, double tap is amazing against tougher enemies. Those robot bastards (the big ones... pod.. something) are a bloody pain in the arse, but a good touble tap to the face, and the thing is well on the way to dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamastoast View Post
    Thing is, double tap is amazing against tougher enemies. Those robot bastards (the big ones... pod.. something) are a bloody pain in the arse, but a good touble tap to the face, and the thing is well on the way to dying.
    I'm sorry, are you trying to get the Lone Wolf achievement with your sniper?
    Hit it once with one other squad member, headshot with ITZ sniper after he cleans up its pet drones. And any other aliens visible on the map

I've never tried "In The Zone", much because of whats been said. It sounds like a vastly overpowered ability for early/mid game, but in late game when most enemies have a ton of health, having double tap would be much better (well, in my head at least, hehe. I'll see if i can train up someone with ITZ to check it)

I prefer double tap, since ITZ is more situational. I like to use my snipers to take down big targets rather than many little ones.

well sometimes the other guys are doing something else :P Fact is you want those bastardos down before they kill someone, double tap is the best thing to do the job.

ITZ is less powerful than DT in isolation, but it has massive synergy with squad teamwork. Even late-game.

well sometimes the other guys are doing something else :P Fact is you want those bastardos down before they kill someone, double tap is the best thing to do the job.
    With ITZ most of your other guys don't have to do something else, your ITZ sniper can clean them up in addition to the sectopod

Why choose just one? I constantly run with 2 snipers, one snapshot/ITZ for aggressive pushing and one with SS/Double Tap. Coupled with 2 heavies and the game becomes a breeze once you get laser/plasma.

Somehow I just dont like the feel of a snapshot sniper, I dunno, feels weird. ^^

In the zone is awesome; you can easily wipe the whole squad of enemy in 1 turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Eejit View Post
    With ITZ most of your other guys don't have to do something else, your ITZ sniper can clean them up in addition to the sectopod
    That's kinda a problem with it, the sniper already steals enough XP as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Raesene View Post
    That's kinda a problem with it, the sniper already steals enough XP as it is!
    No worries, you'll still have to kill some aliens he can't get LOS on

It all really depends on your play style. It's the same approach with Call of Duty, are you the type that finds the most advantageous location, and picks off your enemy from afar with pinpoint precision and accuracy? Or are you the quickscoping type at gets in the thick of things?

I personally like double tap, even though I often find myself without a second target to shoot/kill. It becomes great for taking out the scariest enemies, sectopods, berserkers, ethereals... just like the rapid fire for assaults. I don't know HOW I would have cleared out all those terror missions without my trusty double tap. When a berserker runs full bore at your troops, and your sniper is perfectly placed... he will save your life more often than the best support medic.

Somehow I just dont like the feel of a snapshot sniper, I dunno, feels weird. ^^
    I find SS gets too easily blocked by terrain until you get ArchAngel or Skele suit. So my first sniper I usually level up as snapshot as otherwise they seem to take too long to level for my tastes.

Hm, while yes, it certainly is a tough job sometimes to find a good spot, yet my sniper has been the guy getting like half the kills in the late game. He was also one of the first to rank up, so I guess I don't have that issue really.

Hmmm.... guess IŽll try ITZ with my next Colonel Sniper(have two or three double-taps iirc... alsways seemed like the best decision).
    ^^

Did any of you ever tried combining two snipers with each?

Nah, I just combined ITZ sniper with heavies. Big badda boom.

.. im wondering if you can do a 5 snipers and 1 support (medic) team successfully :P

.. im wondering if you can do a 5 snipers and 1 support (medic) team successfully :P
    Some UFO interiors could be tricky, even with snap shot guys the short range penalty could be difficult.

That squad wouldn't have much synergy too :/

In the zone + gunslinger + plasma pistol = Kill unlimited number of basic floaters/drones

Double Tap is nice, but ITZ radically changes the way you can play a sniper.

Also, people are doing it wrong with ITZ if they're saying "You can't one shot so it is no good"... if you have your heavy plasma wielding heavy hit a sectopod, then you finish it off with your sniper, that triggers ITZ. You can kill all of their drones, kill the sectopod, then snipe something else in one turn. Nothing in the game isn't 1-shottable after being hit by a grenade or shot with HEAT heavy plasma. Also, ITZ procs off overwatch shots, giving you extra actions your next turn.

In the zone + gunslinger + plasma pistol = Kill unlimited number of basic floaters/drones
    WRONG! In the Zone can only trigger from your pistol once.

You sure, not the case with double tap

Quote Originally Posted by Schuesseled View Post
    You sure, not the case with double tap
    The game explicitly tells you that when you kill an alien with your pistol and try to kill another with ITZ.

In The Zone is kind of situational and kind of a combo-enabling deal. If there are enemies close together in cover, and you can eliminate that cover, ITZ will let you wipe the whole group (with a little bit of luck). Double Tap gives a guaranteed 2 shots though, even if you miss the first, where ITZ only gives you the POTENTIAL for more than one, and only when each previous shot hits.

Can ITZ trigger from Overwatch reaction shot kills?

Quote Originally Posted by VerdantSF View Post
    Yeah, and does so pretty often.

Quote Originally Posted by VerdantSF View Post
    Yes, but it doesn't refresh Overwatch, it gives you another action next turn.

where ITZ only gives you the POTENTIAL for more than one
    With a SCOPE and higher elevation, almost anything that would trigger ITZ can be hit with 95-100% aim.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Yes, but it doesn't refresh Overwatch, it gives you another action next turn.
    Oh, so it saves the extra turn? Interesting. I might have to try this out now!

Yeah, ITZ is amazing. Especially for terror missions. I managed to save 16/18 civilians on a terror map because my ITZ sniper ate up the chrysallids and the two zombies they made, while the rest of my squad mopped up the mutons/sectapod easily, since they didn't have to deal with the chrysallids.

Beat the game this weekend, and my most successful soldier was a double tap sniper. While I can see the advantages of ITZ, DT saved my life on quite a few occasions, so with my future snipers I am pretty sure I'll be going with DT as well. It's extremely reliable, which I like.

On a side note, I had a lot more success with this guy (with snap shot) than I had with all my previous snipers (all with squad sight). I think I've made a clear preference there as well. Snap shot all the way.

In the Zone snipers needs to be paired with someone with Grenades and Rockets

I'd say double-tap, considering that your sniper isn't likely going to be moving and taking a shot and that it's very unlikely that the aliens will put themselves into flanked cover I can't imagine where the great use for "In the Zone" would be; I'd sooner take two plasma shots at the Sectopod thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam James Walker View Post
    I'd say double-tap, considering that your sniper isn't likely going to be moving and taking a shot and that it's very unlikely that the aliens will put themselves into flanked cover I can't imagine where the great use for "In the Zone" would be
    You remove the cover or use Flush... you don't have to use your imagination it's been spelled out in this thread

Flush doesn't work right... more often than not they run into ANOTHER cover. Rocket and Grenades are much better They destroy over and damages the enemy so your sniper can just clean up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast