• Yes

10 37.04%
  • No

8 29.63%
  • Does it really matter?

9 33.33%

Thread: XCOM, Console port or no?

XCOM, Console port or no?

While I don't believe that this game was a console port, or "dumbed down" for consoles, I've noticed that a number of people on this site do.

If anything, it was streamlined to appeal to a larger audience, but that doesn't mean that it's a console port.

It wasn't dumbed down, but it doesn't cater to the PC, either. If it were catered to the PC, Mouse, Keyboard and the UI would be a lot more fluid than it currently is. Instead of all these confirmation tutorial windows and broken bind buttons (the hunker down, B key, still doesn't work.).

And if they had concentrated on only a single platform, instead of all 3, we wouldn't have all these annoying bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydra_360ci View Post
    It wasn't dumbed down, but it doesn't cater to the PC, either. If it were catered to the PC, Mouse and Keyboard would be a lot more fluid than it currently is.

And if they had concentrated on only a single platform, instead of all 3, we wouldn't have all these annoying bugs.
    Okay, now that I can agree with. But catering to PC would cause them to lose potential business from the console market, and considering 2k marin wants to release that other XCOM shooter on multiple platforms, I think that's why they went multiplatform on this one.

It was dumbed down but not for the console. It was for the audience it was aimed at. There are console exclusive turn-based games much deeper than this.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    It was dumbed down but not for the console. It was for the audience it was aimed at. There are console exclusive turn-based games much deeper than this.
    for me, what qualifies as a console port is:
    - graphics are poor (especially textures) as in "company of heroes, a RTS, so not made for personal view, from 2006, has equal or better graphics."
    - interface is made for a pad with 0 amount of specific work for the mouse and keyboard.

as for the fact it was "streamlined", that's not directly console-related but to appeal to a wider audience but indirectly, yes if you target wider audience and the game is suceptible of working on such platform, console are the way to go.

The game itself was designed for mass-market, and IMHO they did a good job creating a game for all platforms.

The interface was designed for the console, and they did not do a good job for the PC.

Whether that makes it a port is a strange question (when you develop a game in UE3, it's basically a native game for the 3 primary platforms).

They have even said as much. None ported game would be coded for PC and coded for consoles this isn't the case for this game. Good game and I enjoy playing it but a PC version would be epic on a lvl that consoles would never experience. Use to be done in the past why not today.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsword View Post
    Y Tab x4-6 = deep combat

Impossible difficulty, why you so terribly designed?

The interface is definitely sub-optimal for the PC, which is the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Y Tab x4-6 = deep combat

Impossible difficulty, why you so terribly designed?
    LOL, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by ellfangor8 View Post
    Okay, now that I can agree with. But catering to PC would cause them to lose potential business from the console market, and considering 2k marin wants to release that other XCOM shooter on multiple platforms, I think that's why they went multiplatform on this one.
    Yeah, it's not like the PC version could have a different UI. That'd be CRAZY.