Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PAX East!

PAX East!

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place (felonious sorry if I didn't, don't hate me). Since BI will be out about a month before PAX East, what should we expect from the Irrational crew at PAX East? This only applies if they attend, but I don't see why they won't. And what about the fan party? I can imagine we'll all have LOTS of questions for Ken and the crew if there is another party.

Good question. But probably a bit premature.

Not many companies spend the time and money to attend events like PAX once a game is out, particularly in the first month after release, since that is a crazy time of assimilating feedback and working on patches. The only reason I'd suspect they might come is because PAX East is practically in their backyard.

Watching the companies set up and run their booths at these events is a real eye-opener. The logistics and expenses can be crazy. It may all be fun and games for us, but it is work, work, work for them.

Even a bar party might not be too attractive. It's one thing to hang with your fans as they anticipate a game. It's quite another to hang with them after the game is released, and they can corner you with their "constructive" feedback. LOL
    Last edited by japester; 10-21-2012 at 12:58 AM.

It's def a good question to ask, I've seen some game's at PAX which had just been released but usually it was just playable at kiosk and not a big showing. I do wonder if a panel talking about everything spoilerish you may think of. It also could be a bit too soon after the release to have such a panel.

I'm actually going to be missing PAX East next year, couldn't get my hands on tickets before they sold out of three-day passes. So, to that effect, whatever Irrational decides to do had better be super lame.

Quote Originally Posted by 9ice View Post
    I'm actually going to be missing PAX East next year, couldn't get my hands on tickets before they sold out of three-day passes. So, to that effect, whatever Irrational decides to do had better be super lame.
    Heh I missed out the 3 day passes as well, picked up Friday and Saturday passes, Sunday was pretty much a lost day for me anyways. Hoping for something cool even if its just a panel that will probably be taped and put up for those who can't attend.

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Good question. But probably a bit premature.

Not many companies spend the time and money to attend events like PAX once a game is out, particularly in the first month after release, since that is a crazy time of assimilating feedback and working on patches. The only reason I'd suspect they might come is because PAX East is practically in their backyard.

Watching the companies set up and run their booths at these events is a real eye-opener. The logistics and expenses can be crazy. It may all be fun and games for us, but it is work, work, work for them.

Even a bar party might not be too attractive. It's one thing to hang with your fans as they anticipate a game. It's quite another to hang with them after the game is released, and they can corner you with their "constructive" feedback. LOL
    And of course we would tear the game apart with our theories and assumptions about each of our playthroughs

Quote Originally Posted by 9ice View Post
    So, to that effect, whatever Irrational decides to do had better be super lame.
    Okay. Okay. I admit to a guilty chuckle at that one. LOL

Yeah, it's anybody's guess. I think with all the chances they are taking with BSI, I'm predicting that the first month after launch is going to be super busy for Irrational, tweaking things. My gut says Ken is really invested in this one and wants it to be as good as it can be. I know, every dev says that, but think about it: BioShock brought Irrational into the spotlight in a big way. And that clout translated into time/$$$ for BSI. This is their chance to really shine (fingers crossed!).

Oh man oh man oh man oh man. I have drooled with envy every time PAX has been mentioned and the news is out that for the first time PAX will be in Melbourne Australia in July 2013. Sooo excited as I live in Melbourne! I am crossing my fingers that IG is there! (Also, didn't mean to hijack, I just wanted to mention this and didn't think it warranted a new thread.)

I can't make it to Australia, Knight. SEND ME A T-SHIRT!

LOL! Kidding.
    Good on ya for finally getting a big con. It's about time Australia got some love.

Yeah congrats Carver hope your Aussie PAX ends up being awesome!

Good luck man! Say hi to the PA crew for us!

Cheers guys - can't wait lol. I'll def be getting a 3-day pass - but I'm hoping to be all merchandised out by the end.

That's awesome, I would love to go to Australia let alone PAX! Be sure to let us know how it is (but considering it's close to a year away, we won't mind the wait )

now that the game has been delayed again, we can all gripe and look forward to it together at pax east

It's new release date put its coming out the Tuesday after PAX East, I'd think that would mean for a big showing at East.

Quote Originally Posted by IGlegacy_Felonious View Post
    It's new release date put its coming out the Tuesday after PAX East, I'd think that would mean for a big showing at East.
    release-ish date/Pax East get together again? It's always good times and much appreciated as a fan.

Last year was a alot of fun, especially when a few of us met up at the Making a Monster panel. We should try to plan a meet-up to have a drink one night, or if they have another party we should all introduce ourselves .

My brain finally just got around to putting that together. It'll practically be a release party, I'd imagine the swag and the good times will be one for the record books. If ever one was to attend one of these with the intent of seeing Irrational's stuff, this would be the one to go to.

What was in Atlanta this past year? Is it just DragonCon? Sucks that that's the one that is only 3 hrs away and Boston is like alllll the way over thur.

Quote Originally Posted by laforzadimente View Post
    My brain finally just got around to putting that together. It'll practically be a release party, I'd imagine the swag and the good times will be one for the record books. If ever one was to attend one of these with the intent of seeing Irrational's stuff, this would be the one to go to.
    Just to play devil's advocate, I'd caution against getting too crazy with the expectations. Now that the date has been pushed back to post-PAX, odds are astronomically better than Irrational will have a presence at the con. And I wouldn't be surprised at another fan party, though I have no info about that. But my guess is that you either invite a lot of people to a pretty cool party, or you invite a smaller number to a really cool (ie, "release") party. I wouldn't expect "epic swag" if Irrational hands out invites to everyone on the forum again.

Then again, I'm reminded of what 2K Games did for Gearbox, allowing them to hand out over 600 free copies of Borderlands 2 at PAX last year. THAT was a crazy generous move.

In my experience, the best part of one of these parties is the chance to have a one-on-one conversation with someone involved with the game, even if only for a few minutes. Really humanizes the experience. I don't have plans to attend this year (sad face), but I hope those that do get a chance to chat with the fine folks at Irrational and share their love of their work.

I'll be in attendance this year. I was at the panel and the party last year; it was really a pleasure to have met some people who work there. Many amazing cosplayers were also around.

Also, I loved the cupcakes Irrational handed out after the panel, very sweet gesture.

I didn't get tickets to PAX in time, but would drive from NY to Boston JUST for another BI party ! We need photos from the Bioshock Infinite booth if they do attend PAX please...

I have a tiny bit of video from a couple of previous IG con appearances. Lost it for a while due to a big computer crash, but I really should try to recover it and post it. I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by XX55XX View Post
    I'll be in attendance this year. I was at the panel and the party last year; it was really a pleasure to have met some people who work there. Many amazing cosplayers were also around.

Also, I loved the cupcakes Irrational handed out after the panel, very sweet gesture.
    Man, those were great cupcakes.

I honestly think itll be too close to the release date for them to do another fan event like last year. oh well, i guess we will find out soon

I agree. The swag is cool, but getting to talk to the Bioshock team is the most rewarding part of the meetup. They seem so genuinely interested in our feedback, and they're always super polite even when they're getting swarmed by us haha.

I'll be there again. I cosplayed as a splicer with my buddy (we ran out to a Goodwill the Thursday before the throw together a costume) and luckily was invited to the party. It was great, the highlight being the board games. And IG! So nice. I'm quite glad that Bioshock comes out after PAXEast, it'll be a nice hype up.

Forgot to mention: meeting everyone from the forum/community. Got to have some real nice chats about gaming and how under-appreciated it is.

Quote Originally Posted by crackgoblin View Post
    I honestly think itll be too close to the release date for them to do another fan event like last year. oh well, i guess we will find out soon
    I tend to agree. Poor guys are going to be exhausted from trying to get everything out on time. And if they are having an actual release party already, something big may not be planned for PAX. (And I really, REALLY hope they do a real release party. Their one for the original BioShock was awesome!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by AboutLastNight5 View Post
    Last year was a alot of fun, especially when a few of us met up at the Making a Monster panel. We should try to plan a meet-up to have a drink one night, or if they have another party we should all introduce ourselves .
    The party was awesome, but somehow I totally lost track of time and missed the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by krissta View Post
    The party was awesome, but somehow I totally lost track of time and missed the panel.
    I think at this point we can just hope. But we should still meet up at the panel or have dinner or something.

Quote Originally Posted by aboutlastnight View Post
    I think at this point we can just hope. But we should still meet up at the panel or have dinner or something.
    At the very least meeting up for the panel! I'll have cookies, too, as I'm doing the Cookie Brigade again. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by krissta View Post
    At the very least meeting up for the panel! I'll have cookies, too, as I'm doing the Cookie Brigade again. Haha!
    So 2K just confirmed that they will be at PAX East via their livestream of Bioshock 1.

I'm sure it's cool to live somewhere that there actually are conventions. Oh, well, at least I've got a health care system.

Heard anything about them coming to PAX Australia? I've got a 3-day pass and all i want is an IG booth!!

So 2K just confirmed that they will be at PAX East via their livestream of Bioshock 1.
    That is fantastic news! Earlier I was wondering if Irrational was going to be at PAX East last year because the party they had was a blast! I would have thought that there wouldn't be a Irrational Meetup because it was so close to the release of Infinite.I assumed that they would have their plates full.

I really hope they are having a presence this year!

Quote Originally Posted by yock View Post
    That is fantastic news! Earlier I was wondering if Irrational was going to be at PAX East last year because the party they had was a blast! I would have thought that there wouldn't be a Irrational Meetup because it was so close to the release of Infinite.I assumed that they would have their plates full.

I really hope they are having a presence this year!
    Just know that 2K confirmed they will be there. Irrational has not confirmed yet. 2K could be doing something as small as a booth, or something as big as a demo. We have yet to see what they are doing, but the schedule should be up any day now.

I'd be shocked if Irrational didn't have a big presence, at least break out the Songbird Statue again this year, it would be a lost opportunity to remind thousands of people that their game is coming out Tuesday.

Just know that 2K confirmed they will be there. Irrational has not confirmed yet. 2K could be doing something as small as a booth, or something as big as a demo. We have yet to see what they are doing, but the schedule should be up any day now.
    Yay! Can't wait to hear more!

I'd be shocked if Irrational didn't have a big presence, at least break out the Songbird Statue again this year, it would be a lost opportunity to remind thousands of people that their game is coming out Tuesday.
    Absolutely agree. They already have the statue, why not use it again?

Guess 2K won't be promoting much about BI especially if it's too close to the release date. Perhaps they may reveal their next project? The season pass? Future of Bioshock franchise? New IP perhaps?

Good evening all. I hope that BI or 2K in general bring something great to Pax East. I went last year and thought the statue was amazing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast