Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 401 to 440 of 452

Thread: New DLC! Slingshot

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    582
    Holding back content to release as DLC is an industry standard these days. I'm not defending the practice, but it is a part of modern gaming reality. Expecting Firaxis/2K to be above this practice seems a little naive imo.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    183
    You know, I think interest in a game could well be kept high without releasing DLC really quickly to bridge gaps. As long as there is an interactive element to the information about upcoming expansions, like having to theory-craft based on hints released about what the developers are up to, interest in the game will be fine.

  3. #403
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMax75 View Post
    Holding back content to release as DLC is an industry standard these days. I'm not defending the practice, but it is a part of modern gaming reality. Expecting Firaxis/2K to be above this practice seems a little naive imo.
    The surprising thing would be if they didn't. And to be honest, i don't care since it doesn't look like something that they cut something, just like a real DLC (one i don't like, but a DLC afterall).

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,937
    Ok, I asked for some actual concrete proof of such a practice. The way you word it, it's ALL done because the Steam achievements are there. Are you seriously saying that they have three different DLCs completed already, and are holding them back....because?

    I really can't see why they would hold back so much content if it's finished. They haven't even announced the other two yet. If they're all finished, why don't we have any pricing or release dates? There's only one reason that legitimate, and that's waiting for certification on the consoles, but in that case, wouldn't they have at least a ballpark idea of the release date, and tell us the pricing?

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    145
    i don't think that anyone is going to have concrete evidence. The fact that the achievements are there would mean that it was being developed at the time or completed. Too many ideas get thrown out the window during development for them to put the achievements in game if it wasn't already going to be released. Why would a company release a game then immediately post pricing on top of the base for DLC, everyone will just act like the cost of the game is base + DLC but when it is released later few people look at it like that. They look at it like mini expansions.

    No Matter what they do someone will just spout off about how its not right or unfair. It is easier to budget a DLC before release of the game based on projected sales then after the sales run off. Anyways people are just going to complain they have DLC anyways when there are bugs that should be addressed.

    It is Lose/Lose. Fans will be mad no matter what they do or don't do

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,937
    Exactly. There's no real winning, because you can't please everyone.

    I acknowledge the fact that Steam Achievements are there means they were planning this well in advance, so the groundwork of their intent is definately set in place. But 100% completed? I'd expect they'd be fine tuning the new maps to make sure they're functional, amongst other things.

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where d'you think? Sectoid Squishing!
    Posts
    3,528
    It is Lose/Lose. Fans will be mad no matter what they do or don't do
    Not if they were to release a sandbox mode.

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1
    Seriously 3 scripted non random maps with a non random super character and a cheat that gives you tech early, this is their dlc?
    Is this really the same Firaxis who forced all their dev team to beat the original game and then forced them to design a perfect remake of said game?

    For awhile I was thinking Firaxis understood what made X-Com a good game but then they announce this as their DLC? It is as if the REAL devs of this game got kidnapped and replaced by aliens or something.

    I am really hoping that this whole thing is due to 2K meddling with the devs and not a conscious choice by the developers to come up with terrible ideas for DLC which violates the spirit of the game they developed.

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18
    It does seem really unimaginative and a pure money grab.

  10. #410
    Quote Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
    It does seem really unimaginative and a pure money grab.
    In that case, it is a horrible attempt at parting me from my money because I honestly wouldn't want this DLC even if it were free. It looks terribly uninteresting.

    I really think this must be a pet project of someone they want to fail so they can fire him/her.

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    271
    The first of two planned pieces of DLC, Slingshot features three new missions on three new maps, which promise to be visually distinct from the maps already available in XCOM (unfortunately, they won't be available in multiplayer).

    What! The first DLC is barely any content at all, three maps three missions, whoopity doo... and now the maps won't even be available for multiplayer?

    What is Firaxis thinking?

    I had planned on buying all of the DLC for this game but not if they did the worst thing they could possible do. This DLC is not worth purchasing. It really isn't. I hope they bring more maps from the singleplayer to multiplayer but after reading this I don't have much confidence that they know what they're doing to keep this game alive.

    In 4 weeks nobody but the diehards will even be playing this game. I thought you knew better Firaxis... Guess not.
    Last edited by Cipher 8; 10-26-2012 at 06:21 AM.

  12. #412
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by k9wazere View Post
    Does anybody bulid labs? I know I don't
    Me either, no need to do that.

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldaur View Post
    Except neither they did on release of the game even when the game was actually DONE and the achievements were also on steam as i mentioned earlier but you entirely forgot to get this out of the proper context.
    1. That attempt at a sentence doesn't make any sense at all.

    2. Even if it DID make sense, none of the words, in any order I can logically try and put them in, form anything resembling a comment relevant to the point I was making.

    Someone mentioned that there have been games released on Steam with achievements that can't be accessed at the time - either impossible or DLC-required achievements. You tried to demand an example on PSN or XBL, and I pointed out that you can't expect that when the situation doesn't exist with XCOM on either of those platforms. The Steam achievements you're using as the basis for your argument don't exist as XBL achievements or PSN trophies, so proof of the same situation in other games on those networks is totally irrelevant.

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    271
    I ask if we might eventually see some updates to the relatively bare multiplayer mode one of my only complaints in our XCOM review.

    DeAngelis says updates aren't on the "short-term plans," but it could happen in the future.

    Sometimes I think these marketing guys just don't get it... That or they just don't care. We already bought the game so why do they care if we get our money's worth out of it. Right? They sound pretty stupid (sorry but it's true) when they say things like,

    "We're very excited to see people having fun with multiplayer and if that continues, we should certainly address that by providing more content."

    How can you expect people to CONTINUE to play the multiplayer and continue to have fun with it if there are ONLY FIVE MAPS! Sure it's fun now for a couple weeks but it gets BORING after you play the same map over and over and over. If your in the position your in you should know this. "If that continues..." Pfft. Seriously? It's not. Trust me, nobody will be on it if you don't give us some more maps.

    If you want us to continue to play the multiplayer, the only way that's going to happen in the short term anyways is to add more maps. Long term it would be nice to see more things added like more game modes and more players but right now the game NEEDS more maps. I think many people let the five multiplayer maps slide thinking they would get more in the first batch of DLC (even though there should've been more than five at launch honestly) but now it's looking like we could go months without maps. I'm sorry but that's NOT ACCEPTABLE by me and it shouldn't be acceptable by the fans of this game. There's no reason Firaxis cannot allow us to play on more maps from the single player on multiplayer or release a map pack as DLC soon. None. No reason at all. If they simply don't care about the multiplayer (like it's sounding like) then they should just release the maps from single player for use in multiplayer, no changes at all. At least then we would have something new to play on and something to keep us playing...
    "It has been one of my great professional experiences to read the fan reaction to this game," says Gupta.

    Well Gupta and the rest of the team at Firaxis. Read this fan reaction because you need to rethink how your going to support your game if you want to keep pleasing the fans.

  15. #415
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where d'you think? Sectoid Squishing!
    Posts
    3,528
    We're very excited to see people having fun with multiplayer – and if that continues, we should certainly address that by providing more content."
    Ummm.... yeah. Don't forget about extra content for SP as well - and I'm not talking some half-arsed Call of Duty style map pack.

  16. #416
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where d'you think? Sectoid Squishing!
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Me either, no need to do that.
    Are workshops worthwhile? Seems to be that labs and workshops aren't really needed.

  17. #417
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    Are workshops worthwhile? Seems to be that labs and workshops aren't really needed.
    I'de say Workshops are more important than Labs and definitely worthwhile but that may just be my way of playing the game. I find I'm always able to research things and get to the point of where I can build key things like Satellite Nexus but then I find I need to get Engineers because I don't have enough so the only way to get Enginners faster is to build Workshops. I know I can do all the missions that reward me 4 Engineers but I pick abduction missions based on what country it is not by rewards because it's more important to manage the panic than to get the rewards, it's all about the funding.

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Was there an ETA on this? If so, I didn't see.

  19. #419
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Naples, Italy
    Posts
    100
    To me the biggest drawback of the DLC is not that it's just 3 missions (which if priced appropriately can be interesting) but the fact that a late game equipment can be acquired in the early game. If they are gonna destroy the balance of the game for marketing reasons then it could be a good reason to not buy the DLC. Please Firaxis adopt the same policy used for Civilization V DLCs don't follow the same route adopted by EA for DLCs.

  20. #420
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by marioflag View Post
    Please Firaxis adopt the same policy used for Civilization V DLCs don't follow the same route adopted by EA for DLCs.
    Exactly! Map packs playable on multiplayer and singleplayer... I'de pay $10 for that. I'de even pay $10 if they released some maps already in the game to be playable in multiplayer (I know that's completely retarded but we need more than five maps!)

  21. #421
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    439
    Yeah, workshops seem way more useful because they add engineers and can help in the satellite race. The discounts are just a bonus. Labs on the other hand, only provide bonuses and just aren't needed at all if you capture live aliens for the research credits (considering you have to capture for main story, every player will have learned to do this) and/or get the SA bonus.

    This results in: A.) Fewer base facilities needed (which were already greatly diminished from OG,) B.) No tough decisions on what to have, since there more than enough room for everything. C.) A research tree that is finished ages before the game is over.

    There's a lot that isn't balanced, and this is perhaps the most glaring example. It does make it more painful when features you prefer (free aim, inventory management) were sacrificed in the name of balance that doesn't actually exist at all. I'd not be a huge stickler about balance otherwise.

  22. #422
    What they are giving us :

    A hero who is voice and face set, no thanks I like to customize my hero like my soldiers in normal game. 3 council mission maps, not bad but I would have preferred more maps put into rotation constantly. Getting tech early is a lame dangling carrot, more tech would have been a better choice.

    What I wanted:

    More in rotation maps, more aliens, more weapons, more tech. Fail! This dlc offers nothing to add to the core game unless it was free and considering all the bugs it should be.

    Oh and before I forget, they better have an Xbox patch out before this garbage.

  23. #423
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sectoid_Burglar View Post
    In that case, it is a horrible attempt at parting me from my money because I honestly wouldn't want this DLC even if it were free. It looks terribly uninteresting.

    I really think this must be a pet project of someone they want to fail so they can fire him/her.
    Hahaha, thanks for the laugh

  24. #424
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    279
    Anyone know if these Maps are going to be repeating constantly throughout the Gameplay like the rest of the Council Missions? or are they just once played once and thats it until your next Game you start?

  25. #425
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    Ok, I asked for some actual concrete proof of such a practice. The way you word it, it's ALL done because the Steam achievements are there. Are you seriously saying that they have three different DLCs completed already, and are holding them back....because?

    I really can't see why they would hold back so much content if it's finished. They haven't even announced the other two yet. If they're all finished, why don't we have any pricing or release dates? There's only one reason that legitimate, and that's waiting for certification on the consoles, but in that case, wouldn't they have at least a ballpark idea of the release date, and tell us the pricing?
    while, i don't actually believe they did, the reason is simple, if you release all of them at once, several consumers might only buy the best of the three, while for some reason when they're all released and announced at separate dates, they buy all three.

  26. #426
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    Slingshot is exactly the kind of DLC that would make a great pre-order bonus:

    - short
    - easier / earlier access to content that is in the game anyway (blaster launcher)
    - bonus character / story arc that does not alter the main plot
    - only cosmetically changes (new armour styles)

    I am very disappointed to see Slingshot as the first after release DLC because, according to the press info, it adds virtually nothing to the core game.

    It could be so easy because after the final mission there could be so much room for new things to happen:

    - new alien life forms attack because your victory destabilized an truce between intergalactic forces

    - you receive a request from another alien civilization and X-Com helps to defend their planet against the invaders using their soldiers and equipment too

    and so on.

    I really like Enemy Unknown. It’s a fun game that is tactically challenging with good designed enemies and graphics and nice music score. Right now it is unfortunately quite bug infested, the user interface leaves a lot room for improvements and it does not contain enough enemies, different equipment, strategies and research to stay interesting after two or three runs. I hope that Firaxis is able to transfer the deserved success of this remake into more content for the fans of this game.

  27. #427
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1
    Although I would pay for a decent sized expansion to most games I enjoy playing, I would not ever pay for tiny chunks of added content no matter how cheap they were. I bought the game already, I want to PLAY it not PAY it.

    The content of this game - although enjoyable is far from what I expected anyway. There is no real strategy to it and I dont really think it can be classed as a Strategic game. All you are doing "stategically" is responding to pre determined scripted events. That aint strategy in the least.
    The tactical element is a bit limited too due to the miniature size of the maps. The only tactic seems to be "run from cover point to cover point shooting anything that pops its tentacles out at you". Meh - but I do love the look of the game, pity it didnt have a wider spectrum of gameplay to it.

    So paying for DLC ? definately not and looking at how thin this added content is, it would make me feel like a cash-cow being milked if I bought it.

  28. #428
    Yeah, this announced DLC will be easy to skip. Scripted single player content is not what makes this game great. So why would I pay to have more of that?

  29. #429
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunasa View Post
    Slingshot is exactly the kind of DLC that would make a great pre-order bonus:

    - short
    - easier / earlier access to content that is in the game anyway (blaster launcher)
    Just received and used my first blaster launcher - it would definitely be welcome earlier in the campaign, and balanced (rocket as it exists is poorly-balanced in the mid-game. Standard blaster only adds +2 damage - you need a colonel with a heavy plasma before you get 12 damage blasters). I just don't think this is a good way of rebalancing the tech tree - a Council mission that involves taking on a battleship, sure - anything for more variety in Council missions, and relevant rewards. But I don't like fixing it as the first sequence of Council missions, since it adds to an already too-structured campaign; make it random, and you can get the BL earlier, or can get it later, depending on how the campaign pans out. Which is exactly the sort of freeform play people would like.

    The story character element I dislike, partly because he's a fixed element, but mostly because the story we've been previewed is cheesy. How about a genuinely different mission, where X-COM obtains intelligence that the Triads have obtained alien technology (or are actively colluding with aliens) and you have missions against Triad operatives? That could add a new enemy type as people are requesting without needing to add new techs.

    But above all, as mentioned it's just too short.

    It's possible I'd pick this up on sale if (a) the DLC can be disabled, so that if I want a less constrained campaign I can go back to the original, and/or more importantly (b) if there was an option to randomise the missions - i.e. while by default it will be the first few Council missions, randomise it so that the new missions will be randomly selected from the pool of Council missions as usual. They would still have to occur in sequence (so no completing the battleship mission before getting the earlier Triad missions), but wouldn't necessarily be the first missions and needn't be consecutive (so, you could have a Triad mission, then might an urgent bomb disposal mission or need to extricate VIPs).

  30. #430
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where d'you think? Sectoid Squishing!
    Posts
    3,528
    Slingshot is exactly the kind of DLC that would make a great pre-order bonus:

    - short
    - easier / earlier access to content that is in the game anyway (blaster launcher)
    - bonus character / story arc that does not alter the main plot
    - only cosmetically changes (new armour styles)
    Spot on! They should've released Slingshot as preorder instead of the 'Elite Soldier Pack' - which I wouldn't have paid a damn penny for!

  31. #431
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    88
    This sounds kind of stupid. Was hoping for new game mechanics, not storyline crap.

  32. #432
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    279
    Not gonna read through all of this, but does anyone know if these 3 Council Missions will feature Aliens other than Thinmen in them?

  33. #433
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin_The_Magnificent View Post
    This sounds kind of stupid. Was hoping for new game mechanics, not storyline crap.
    New game mechanics is for either patches or addons, not for DLC. DLC should provide just raw content, not touching the game balance. This DLC has just this. Surely, it still elaves the question, how valuable the DLC is.

  34. #434
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by N0 Quarter View Post
    Not gonna read through all of this, but does anyone know if these 3 Council Missions will feature Aliens other than Thinmen in them?
    "know", no.
    But I'm pretty sure it will. Not new aliens, most likely (though I'd enjoy that), but I greatly doubt it'll just be 3 missions with only thin men.

  35. #435
    For one I am happy that they didn't forget about XCOM after releasing and it shows that they still got some material to keep the ball bouncing.

    Then again, I can't help but feel like being disappointed over socks in my present for christmas, while the christmas tree is burning. It is undeniable; there are bugs, there are very few maps, few aliens to fight and many pressing questions concerning game design decisions.

    It is totally understandable that it's not the best move to release a DLC few weeks after release, which goes against the core mechanic of XCOM; hard earned alien tech and a uncustomizable soldier which happens to be a triad. (Next DLC may even introduce ninja and pirates!). Also having the feel being milked for money via small DLCs is not a great thought.

    BUT as we know, Firaxis has been known to actually listen to the player and fanbase of XCOM and held true to their word...
    (Well, aside the lie with not seeing a map twice in a playthrough. One base only, no base defense, 4-6 man cap, one skyranger- Oh crud)

    My point is... MAYBE this DLC was released to test and see how the communities react and tell them what they want.
    It's like a manipulated passive survey on what DLC they should make next.

  36. #436
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,559
    Yeah, it might be jsut something to keep peoples eyes on the game and test some new tricks, while they work on something on the same level as Gods and Kings.

    Of course, if this is sold as micro-DLC, AKA only couple of bucks, it will msot likely be in good money-content ratio.

  37. #437
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadarok View Post
    Yeah, this announced DLC will be easy to skip. Scripted single player content is not what makes this game great. So why would I pay to have more of that?
    I don't know if scripted is really the right term here. Static would be more fitting. Because once the mission is underway, we'll have full control. Our units won't be bullet immune until they do the right thing, or just die on the spot when they go the wrong direction. Now THOSE are hallmarks of a scripted game.

  38. #438
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Me either, no need to do that.
    I did on my second play through (because I had the money and the space). But you don't need them - which is weird.

  39. #439
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where d'you think? Sectoid Squishing!
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.bananas View Post
    BUT as we know, Firaxis has been known to actually listen to the player and fanbase of XCOM and held true to their word...
    (Well, aside the lie with not seeing a map twice in a playthrough. One base only, no base defense, 4-6 man cap, one skyranger- Oh crud)

    My point is... MAYBE this DLC was released to test and see how the communities react and tell them what they want.
    It's like a manipulated passive survey on what DLC they should make next.
    Come on mate - a quick read of this forum during the run up to release, and in the days after release, should've been enough to tell them that what people really want is more depth to the game - not more missions that play out the same every single time you play them!

  40. #440
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,559
    Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    Come on mate - a quick read of this forum during the run up to release, and in the days after release, should've been enough to tell them that what people really want is more depth to the game - not more missions that play out the same every single time you play them!
    Then again, when the arguments were presented as "This is dumbed down console ☺☺☺☺! Add more depth! Remake OG with HD graphics!" they might have just stopped listening until more level headed suggestions appeared...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •