Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building the Skyranger

Wow, that's just awesome!

Love the details you put into the model, especially the grime around the body.

You haven't posted back shots of the Skyranger at all though. Any chance there'll be plasma scarring on the hatch doors?

Outstanding!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback! I'm a lot more inspired to sit down and make my own Skyranger after this project!

@yurusei: Yeah, I was never really content with how the back turned out so I've been refraining from pics. I gotta ship the skyranger today otherwise I'd totally rock some green glowing plasma damage on the hull.

Here's the final round of pics before this guy goes in the box:

If there's something green in your neighborhood...Who you gonna call?

My brother wanted this logo on the tail fin of a cartoony red devil holding an M1 with the banner showing his favorite countries below. Turned out pretty well for a rush job in an area about the size of a quarter

As requested...the hatch

The Skyranger...always number 1 in my book at least

Taxiing away from the hot pink glue gun

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r1m7HUkAsd...U/s640/017.jpg
    My brother wanted this logo on the tail fin of a cartoony red devil holding an M1 with the banner showing his favorite countries
    Is that... Finland I see there?

YOUR BROTHER IS AWESOME

I love what you've done on the cockpit class.

"The Negotiator" LOL

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Really really nice - love the weathering effects and the dirty burn marks on the exhausts - you know i gotta ask a few questions.
    How long have you been building scratch models for?
    Any chance of you posting any other scratch projects you have done.
    For the paint job did you use a compesser/sprayer oir is it all brush work.
    are the decals printed on to special printer paper and then applied - i can see some hand work but a lot it is really fine detail especially the logos.
    Really really a fantastic job - i bet your brother will be so chuffed.
    Well Done
    :-)

Well done, how much to make me one?

Very well done! You did a great job translating the game model to the workbench. Guys at Firaxis are sharing your pictures at work and around the Internet.

Amazing job. I love it!!!

The skyranger looks great, really impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by FXS PeteMurray View Post
    Very well done! You did a great job translating the game model to the workbench. Guys at Firaxis are sharing your pictures at work and around the Internet.
    So how about commissioning him and make a production model we can buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottgun View Post
    I'll buy one for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nogen View Post
    I'll buy one for sure!!
    Me too. Only thing is I'd want it much smaller. Like die-cast Matchbox size.

Speaking of which, where is the store where I can buy X-com t-shirts, X-com polos, X-com hoodies, X-com coffee mugs, x-com baseball cap, x-com beret, X-com beer steins, x-com pens? C'mon guys! Make with the tchotchkes!

where is the store where I can buy X-com t-shirts, X-com polos, X-com hoodies, X-com coffee mugs, x-com baseball cap, x-com beret, X-com beer steins, x-com pens? C'mon guys! Make with the tchotchkes!
    Couldn't resist:

@Mandemon: Hell yes, Finland! We've got relatives up in Finland and in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan (which is practically Finland #2). Ever since we took a trip over and hung out in the "drinking teepee" my brother's been hooked.

@Shadowflight: I figured that was the perfect name as each abduction, terror, or ufo mission is started by my brother yelling "Send in the Negotiator!"

@tazong: (1) I've been doing scratchbuilds of stuff I like (on and off) for the past 4-5 years. It depends on something striking my fancy enough to warrant the time spent scratching a model for it. (2) I don't have a repository for my work online, but I've competed in Games Workshop's Golden Demon painting contest for the past few years and have taken away some trophies. I'll see if I can dig up pics of my work there from online coverage and post 'em at the end of this e-mail. (3) This model was all done by hand with brushes. I have an airbrush compressor but my last brush bit the dust and I haven't been up to replacing it yet. Perhaps after Christmas I'll have a new one. (4) Everything on this model was hand painted. Some guide-lines and basic shapes were done with a micron pen prior to painting, but all the detail work was done with an 00 artists brush.

@Scottgun: The model I scratchbuilt is approximately 28mm scale so it fits pretty compatibly with Warhammer 40k, Sedition Wars, and lots of other mini games in terms of appropriate size. Matchbox size would be cool, but would definitely be a new adventure for me seeing as how I'm primarily used to working at 28-32mm scale.

@Guilty Biscuit: Damn, I knew there was something my wife still needed under the tree.

Thanks, everyone, for the positive support. I didn't know if I was going to be able to pull the project off in time, but it's come through nicely. I've got a couple paid commissions to dive into then I'll have to hop back on the X-Com wagon and make something for myself. This build was a one-off with the time crunch not allowing me to make templates. I'd consider this a solid first step to making one that's much more game-accurate. For those of you who requested pics:

This ended up taking second place for it's category back in 2009. I'd consider this primarily a kitbash as most of the elements were from Games Workshop kits that I pieced together. The only sculped bits on that one are the shoulder amp and guitar-gun.

This ended up winning gold in it's category in 2011. A lot more of this was scratched including the pauldrons, cockpit section, shield arm, and tabard.

This one is pretty much a full scratch build. I didn't want to pay the $85 a piece for some Chaos Hellblade fighters so I made up a squadron on my own from a couple $30 drop pod kits and lots of sheet styrene. I've still got about 4 of these lying around I think.

Thanks again all!

I would totally geek out for that, especially if the hatch opened

Cuz I would totally use it for table top gaming.

lol @ Guilty Biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    I would totally geek out for that, especially if the hatch opened
    Cuz I would totally use it for table top gaming.
    Me too. I half want to put one together just for my Sedition Wars figures so all my solar conglomerate troops can come piling out of a skyranger. The more I think about it, that HAS to happen

What's the walker meant to be, fluff-wise? I thought in the current fluff the only 'manned' walker the Imperium had (in 28mm scale anyway) was the Marine Dreadnought.

@SamBC: The walker is supposed to be Raf Maven's Equitos Bellum, a knight titan from Graham McNeill's Horus Heresy novel, Mechanicum. A knight-pattern titan was supposed to stand somewhere midway in between a Dreadnought and a Warhound Titan in terms of scale. The one pictured was based loosely on the Grey Knights Dreadknight frame and is approximately 6" tall from the feet to the top of the antennae

Quote Originally Posted by TheDrescher View Post
    @SamBC: The walker is supposed to be Raf Maven's Equitos Bellum, a knight titan from Graham McNeill's Horus Heresy novel, Mechanicum. A knight-pattern titan was supposed to stand somewhere midway in between a Dreadnought and a Warhound Titan in terms of scale. The one pictured was based loosely on the Grey Knights Dreadknight frame and is approximately 6" tall from the feet to the top of the antennae
    Hmm. Smaller than I would imagine a Knight to be in 28mm, based on the size of their miniatures in Epic over various generations (a bit taller than an Ork Stompa).

Quote Originally Posted by SamBC View Post
    Hmm. Smaller than I would imagine a Knight to be in 28mm, based on the size of their miniatures in Epic over various generations (a bit taller than an Ork Stompa).
    Yeah, that's one of the things I hate about 40k: the total inconsistency when it comes to scaling over the years. When I was originally doing research before I began sculpting, the general consensus for a knight's height was around 8.5" so even in that regard it ended up shorter than it should have been. I was honestly working with what I had in terms of converting and still had to add some serious height in the cockpit section to build it up to 6".

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!! wow you quite some talent there, don't let it go to waste. Would like to see you make some aliens and spaceships as well tooooooooooo.

I'd totally buy an x-com board game with some well designed miniatures.

@Scottgun: I'm right there with you, man. I've played some one-off missions using different rulesets that've been fun, but the trick is to get the research and the narrative down. Something like the 2nd edition of Descent but with a research tree and manufacturing system based on resources acquired based on the outcome of said missions.

I've been spending the time while waiting for other commissions to dry playing around in the Unreal Developer's Kit spinning wire meshes around. If I can figure how to export to a .pdo file, I'd be well on my way to making my next Skyranger model, much more game accurate as the scaling on things I messed up before (like the upper engine intakes and the tail boom) would be corrected without the painstaking "build the part and see if it lines up right" method. Thoughts anyone?

PM Pete Murray, you might be able to get a screenshot of front/top/side views.
    Obviously he'll be taking some time off over Christmas, and I'm not sure how often he's on here, but it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmirc View Post
    lol @ Guilty Biscuit.
    + a whole bunch, that was too funny!

Great work TheDrescher! Its so great that I shared this with the 2K Games Facebook and Twitter community!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2060226&type=1

https://twitter.com/2KGames/status/286564025674915841

I'll see if I can help you with the front/top/side views for your 2nd model.

In game Skyranger walkaround.

Turntable

Wings extended

Note that the wings have negative dihedral, I aproximated the angle based on the wing-necelle joint. At their current angle, they pivot, slide, and rotate through the necelle slot without clipping or coliding with the necelle.

With engine necelles rotated. The engine necelle/wing assembly can rotate horizontally to atleast 15 degrees aft and about 20 degrees fore. I suppose this is used to maintain a stable hover.

Note the ".50 Desert Eagle barrel" design of the tail, particularly where the tail boom meets the fuselage.

Plan View
    Click Here, large image.

Details

Note the Normal Map details as opposed to the silloutte. When making a model, digital 3D or fine scale, I recommend following the normal map contours as opposed to the loress mesh silloutte.

Click Here

Note how the countours of the fuselage are concave behind the main engines (normal map).
    Click Here

Mesh Details
    Click Here

Screenshots taken from the Max viewport using a custom D3D shader (these are not renderings, shadows on the base are a baked AO). I had to do extensive repair to the mesh since exporting not only triangulated, but damaged the smoothing groups, and created orphaned triangles. I restored the edge loops and edge flow as close to the original (aproximately 2 days).

All credit goes to the artists at 2Kgames and Firaxis for this stunning model!

[Edit] I do not show the interior because it is pretty much canned, in other words the artists never meant for you to look inside this Skyranger. The only parts detailed is the rear door/ramp and the hydraulics, see image. I may in the future model the interior as well the cockpit, but currently I'm tied up with other comitments.
    Click Here
    Last edited by Fanbus; 01-03-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Oooo, this is pretty awesome stuff :-D.
    A few extra reference views for my skyranger maybe?

Let me know which angles you need.

The ones that you've already posted should do me fine for a while.
    Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by drcane View Post
    Great work TheDrescher! Its so great that I shared this with the 2K Games Facebook and Twitter community!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2060226&type=1

https://twitter.com/2KGames/status/286564025674915841

I'll see if I can help you with the front/top/side views for your 2nd model.
    Thanks, everyone for the support! It was a lot of fun building the model. Fanbus' images are work blocked on my machine and my home computer is on the fritz so I'll have to check those walkaround images out as soon as I'm back up and running. My wife saw the facebook post and laughed her ass off at some of the comments saying "yeah, he probably does need a girlfriend..."

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbus View Post
    I do not show the interior because it is pretty much canned, in other words the artists never meant for you to look inside this Skyranger. The only parts detailed is the rear door/ramp and the hydraulics, see image. I may in the future model the interior as well the cockpit, but currently I'm tied up with other comitments.
    Click Here
    Actually, a fully detailed Skyranger interior does exist in game - it's just hidden in a hard-to-find spot!

Extract the CIN_DropshipIntros package - you'll find the model and textures in there. The interior is used in the level-start cinematics when the squad debarks/rappels from the Skyranger. Only thing missing is a detailed cockpit; it's lost in shadow in the game, probably so there was no need to model it out.

(You can also find a shortened interior model in CIN_LoadScreen - it's the interior segment where your troopers sit during mission briefings. There might be a few details in this one that aren't in the bigger model, but I don't see anything at a glance.)

The large interior might exist only in the Enemy Within expansion files, I'm not 100% sure.

Wow, some amazing pictures in this thread. Great work TheDrescher and Fanbus.

Ahhhhhh one of my all time favourite threads on here - Shame we never saw TheDrescher again as I would have loved to have seen a reworked version with fibre optics and all - happy days
    :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12