Thread: Opportunist always better than executioner?

Opportunist always better than executioner?

Because it feels like so. Without opportunist
    1. Your reaction shots will miss more often
    2. You will not crit, and without crit you cannot even kill a muton with plasma sniper rifle.
    3. When enemies move, they are exposed, and thus you cannot take advantage of extra 50% crit.

Executioner can probably work with heavy destroying covers and huring enemies with aoe. With ITZ it just adds more chance to kill multiple enemies, if they are hurt, with double tab it makes your shot more reliable. However i dont see extra 10% useful when you can hit with 95% high cover enemies if you have height advantage and damn good ground perk.

Executioner really does not feel big of a deal..

Executioner pairs well with gunslinger, but I tend to take opportunist on most of my snipers.

Depends on your squad build. If you are using a lot of heavies to pair with an ITZ sniper, it can be very useful. Some of the late game enemies have innate defense or use elevation to negate the DGG perk (if you are using archangel that is). In those cases, the +10 aim is useful.

For a non-heavy squad, opportunist shines a bit better in my view. Overwatch before triggering new groups + opportunist = one dead xeno.

I am just trying to understand deigners concept behind it, why they considered the both of equal value

Bonus aim to proactively attack vs bonus when using overwatch...

You can easily set up good overwatch opportunities, but they aren't guaranteed triggers meaning not necessarily attacking, whereas an injured xeno = bonus to aim with a guaranteed attack.

Executioner is better on impossible vs high lvl enemies imho. You need all bonus aim you can get.

With my Executioner Sniper it's fairly common for him to miss Overwatch shots. Those times I feel I should've gone Opportunist. On the other hand, I have no idea how often Executioner have come in handy, because he never seems to miss on straight shots. Executioner has probably helped on that. But since I play with enemy health bars off, I'm very much in the dark about that

They are roughly on the same ground, as overwatch shot penalty is also 10%.

It is possible crits that make opportunist much more viable. Without crit bonus I would have picked executioner every time.

As I prefer Snap Shot to Squad Sight for my snipers, I then tend to find Executioner somewhat more valuable to me, as I like to offset the snap shot penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranador View Post
    As I prefer Snap Shot to Squad Sight for my snipers, I then tend to find Executioner somewhat more valuable to me, as I like to offset the snap shot penalties.
    I did that too, but then. I thought having an opportunist snap shot sniper would really make me feel much safer during enemy turns.
    Damn good ground can give you extra 10 aim on same enemy. If he is at the same level with you, go somewhere higher and your aim will be +20+10-20.

Are you guys sure overwatch carries a -10 aim penalty? I always suspected it to be -20%

Also, with plasma sniper rifle you will always crit (95% = 35% plasma sniper rifle + 10% upgraded scope bonus +50% flanked enemy) on non hardened enemies if you have opportunist. That will reliably kill any 10 hp enemy if not even 15hp. Compare this with 9 damage max.

opportunist shot dont get flank criticals. try your example with plasma sniper and bonus. many non-critical hit cannot be 95%

still far better than executioner

Quote Originally Posted by Autoclave View Post
    Are you guys sure overwatch carries a -10 aim penalty? I always suspected it to be -20%
    Yes, -10 when moving, -20 when dashing.

XGTacticalGameCoreNativeBase shows 20 for overwatch and 20 for dashing. Making a shot on a dashing opponent the same as firing on a target in high cover. That seems about right to me. 10 and 10 more would be super accurate. I'd never get away clean from those forgetful moments but I do fairly often (not that I forget about aliens on overwatch often, mind you ) I definitely seem to get fewer misses on my turn than when taking overwatch shots on aliens, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Autoclave View Post
    I did that too, but then. I thought having an opportunist snap shot sniper would really make me feel much safer during enemy turns.
    Damn good ground can give you extra 10 aim on same enemy. If he is at the same level with you, go somewhere higher and your aim will be +20+10-20.

Well - since my snapshot sniper is always shooting on their turn, not overwatching, I guess I don't get any value at all from improving my overwatch.

Now on an open map, a squadsight sniper flying at max height - they'll be on overwatch some of the time.

Its just a playstyle thing - I just use a lot more agressive tactics, with moving up, killing, and suppressing the leftovers. If I was to use the bait and watch playstyle, I'd get a lot more out of improving my overwatch powers I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Arifmeticus View Post
    Yes, -10 when moving, -20 when dashing.
    Do aliens ever dash? I only remember seeing them do double moves.

The problem with executioner is that enemies have too few hitpoints. The plasma sniper will oneshot most healthy or slightly damaged enemies making executioner useless.

i never use executioner so i have no personal experience w/ it. since it has a condition for activation[w/c in my case is seldom ever met], opportunist is naturally my pick especially since i tend to overwatch every turn when no baddies are visible & it has proved effective against sudden heavy floater rush ins...