Thread: So, you out play your opponent,having them on the ropes. Then RNG says screw you

So, you out play your opponent,having them on the ropes. Then RNG says screw you

How to handle when you lose a match because RNG decides that you shouldn't win? Missing something such as a 97% shot,which your opponent is then able to punish you for and steal the win.

Why the RNG so cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphazone View Post
    How to handle when you lose a match because RNG decides that you shouldn't win? Missing something such as a 97% shot,which your opponent is then able to punish you for and steal the win.

Why the RNG so cruel?
    That's XCOM Baby!

Actually the real trick to winning the majority of your games is to always think... "ok what will I do if this next move backfires" no matter how unlikely it is. So usually I try to get myself in a position where even if the RNG gives me that terrible 5% roll I still have enough of a tactical advantage to win the game

Of course somedays you get 5% followed by 5% and you lose the game, but that's what makes this game exciting right haha

That's XCOM baby!

But sometimes the opposite happens. Once my last soldier had 3hp, and opponent's last Sectoid came in and shoot me - for 2 damage! I won that game. lol

The answer is: become like Batman. Make contingency plans, and make sure that you have contingency plans for those plans, in the event your first set of contingencies backfire.

i know what you mean man and sometimes you cant think about your next move when your down to your last couple units. played a close game where i made a do or die move against my oppenents sc with my 2 floaters, 1 heavy, it paid off then his rookie alloy cannon takes out a floater, no big deal i'm thinking because next turn i have a 97% on him, then rng says no you are meant to lose and i miss. I cried real tears that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphazone View Post

Why the RNG so cruel?
    I've played poker for years so I'm used to this kind of thing happening and it doesn't bother me much.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrysalidEatingYoFriend View Post
    I've played poker for years so I'm used to this kind of thing happening and it doesn't bother me much.
    Bleh, I just gotta get use to it I guess. I wanna love this game, do love this game. But man,moments like that really make me upset at it.

That or the infamous dash bug when using a Chryssalid unit.

Every shot you take below 100% (and indeed, sometimes even when the game displays 100% but you actually have 99.7%) chance to hit is a gamble. Even a 97% shot can miss, and this possibility needs to be accounted for.

If you lost because you relied on chance, you didn't outplay your opponent. The RNG didn't decide you were meant to lose, it decided you were not meant to make that shot at that time. You lost because you didn't take that possibilty into account.

Quote Originally Posted by fro_masta View Post
    i know what you mean man and sometimes you cant think about your next move when your down to your last couple units. played a close game where i made a do or die move against my oppenents sc with my 2 floaters, 1 heavy, it paid off then his rookie alloy cannon takes out a floater, no big deal i'm thinking because next turn i have a 97% on him, then rng says no you are meant to lose and i miss. I cried real tears that game.
    Rookies can't carry alloy cannons :P

You could have made it 100% by moving right next to him :P

YOUR FAULT

i meant recon and if i moved right next to him i wouldve been in the open making me a easy target for his other units. I didnt think i needed that extra 3% to make a easy shot but i was wrong. the game didnt end right there, my heavy had 5 hp against 3 units but still managed to take 2 with him before it ended and i agree about taking a possible missed shot into account but i only had 2 units left and that 97% was the only way of coming through with the win.
    Last edited by fro_masta; 11-21-2012 at 01:23 PM.

And remember it will happen in your favour one day.

thats true

yep that is why you never run rocket builds if you want to win cause 1 out of those 10 rockets is gonna kick your own ass very hard

Thats why your run 3 rockets -_-

Quote Originally Posted by RyW Paddo View Post
    Thats why your run 3 rockets -_-
    To screw yourself 3 times!

please excuse me if this is a dumb question but whatsa rocket build?

Quote Originally Posted by fro_masta View Post
    please excuse me if this is a dumb question but whatsa rocket build?
    Rocket building is when you make cake out of rockets that you then feed to your opponent.

After you feed them you get to ask them "DO YOU LIKE MY ROCKET CAKE?" and if they say "no" you can say "THEN WHY'D YOU EAT IT ALL?"
    Last edited by HardAppleCider; 11-22-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Mmmmm.... cake.

Quote Originally Posted by moyang View Post
    To screw yourself 3 times!
    There are few things more unnerving for me in this game than hearing the words, "Rocket off target".

I wish there was a 1% chance that your dude had the launcher backwards and it fires straight back

Sometimes, reading peoples' complaints, you'd think this was the first and only game ever that dealt with random numbers to calculate chances to hit/score/whatever.

i think some aim bonuses need to be adjusted. for example, the sectoid commander has a giant head, that should give me a 50 aim bonus against it.

RNG stands for Ruind Noobs Game.

Recon and alloy cannon? sounds like one of my set ups?? maybe? lol....or Sunzi?

Ran up next to target. Had 100% shot. Missed. Still won the match. That's XCOM Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrysalidEatingYoFriend View Post
    I think that's pretty much the best answer to the OP's problem.
    "Experience". Having played several games were it often comes down to chance helps a lot to deal with it.
    For another example P&P or Tabletop. There are so many situations where You get screwed by double 1s on an 2 dice roll. It happens. Estimate Your chances and always try to have a failsafe.
    When there's no failsafe it's "all or nothing" and if You fail, don't frown: Next time You will be the lucky guy .

Never leave your fate or the fate of your soldiers to "luck."

You know how you can hear an enemy use a grapple, that happened to me once. So I grapple up one of my guys up there, he's all alone, out in the open, easy pickings, so I fire an LPR at him, hit him for seven and take off half his health. I grapple up my other LPR user up there and miss a 90% shot. No big deal. I grapple up my last guy up there and fire at him with a scope-assisted Plasma Rifle for an 80% shot. Miss again. -_-

That's XCom, Baby!

thoes days are the best.. makes for a good thrill. I dont like to lose but i do enjoy the random twists on what i assumed was a flawless plan.

Had a game lastnight i should have lost.. berserker and sectoid left vs a CD with 2 hp left. his turn my sectoid is behind a car in LOS and hes like screw it i wanna win .. tosses a nade at me easy kill... BUT WAIT! nade does no dmg doesnt even blow up the car.. just lights it on fire... my turn.. i run under him with a 35% to hit i smoke him for 2 lol we both laughed at the nade bugging out but it was fun.

I had my friend bang to rights 100% shot with plasma sniper, 2 tiles away, the end of the gun was against his temple. It missed and he cleaned up. The following game, I missed 4 times in a row with two double tap snipers at 55%, after that I retired from snipers! It was hella funny though.

sniper take a huge aim penalty for being close next time swap to a pistol or run away ( please use hunters they are the best sniper )

Yeah, this was back in the early days when I was still a noob lol. Hunters are the best sniper for sure. I tried the arch angel snipers for the height and vision and the reduced fuel in multiplayer makes them useless.

the only time i love the SS arch sniper is the Graveyard map. man its fun to abuse that. Alas in a serious game tho you get stomped most of the time.

Same with the ghost builds.. allways a good idea to take one for a spin once and a while to remember the way they move and play so you dont get sloppy when fighting vs them.

Personally, I like Sniper Agents. Executioner, double tap, and gunslinger are really, really powerful.