Thread: Teleporting bug only on ironman?

Teleporting bug only on ironman?

Okay, I gave the game about 200h of playing.

Now I`m doing ironman and face for the first time the teleporting bug. It`s no fun, when a sectopod materializes just next to you! :-O

Nope, it occurs on non-ironman games too.

Anecdotally, I've noticed an increase in the number of times I've seen this when playing on Classic over Normal.

That might have to do with a higher amount of aliens. Although I don't really know if there are more aliens in Classic than in Normal. I know only in Impossible there are more than in Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmastah View Post
    Nope, it occurs on non-ironman games too.

Anecdotally, I've noticed an increase in the number of times I've seen this when playing on Classic over Normal.
    Yep, I'm getting this damn bug all the time now - playing on Impossible.

It occurs a lot on impossible, which speculation suggests is because the aliens don't have enough spawn locations due to the number of aliens to properly move and maintain space. I have seen this bug in non-ironman games as well, it's just the most frustrating when it happens on those.

Are difficulty levels above Normal actually playable?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbegrabben View Post
    Why shouldn't they be?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbegrabben View Post
    Absolutely!

After playing Normal once-through and practically sleep-walking through the endgame, I discovered that Classic is an entirely different beast. The AI is smarter, there are more aliens, and the sense of danger is greater. As the devs said, Classic is the way the game is meant to be. (Although, you can still wind up half-asleep by the end).

Impossible is playable so long as you have a high tolerance for pain, and the willingness to accept that Impossible is not fair, is not supposed to be fair, and is never going to be fair. It's been designed to be as such. But it's still beatable given the right strategy and tactics.

Of course, the important thing is which difficulty is right for you. The answer is whichever one you find the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    It occurs a lot on impossible, which speculation suggests is because the aliens don't have enough spawn locations due to the number of aliens to properly move and maintain space. I have seen this bug in non-ironman games as well, it's just the most frustrating when it happens on those.
    I'm going to look into modding the number of aliens down a bit then - Impossible would still be tough, because the aliens seem more intelligent to me: their movements and use of their abilities in particular.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidSquisher View Post
    I'm going to look into modding the number of aliens down a bit then - Impossible would still be tough, because the aliens seem more intelligent to me: their movements and use of their abilities in particular.
    The map with the mausoleum in the centre is particularly prone to this, they'll teleport right in front of you. On a run in classic ironman, I had 12 enemies including mutons and heavy floaters just pop in front of me on my second turn. Thanks to the fact I had some gear by then, ended up with me only suffering one wounded and no losses, but it was nerve wracking. (*)

I *JUST* had it happen to me on ironman impossible, I even have it recorded, VERY annoying.

First the entire map activates without reason and 2 sectoids poof in front of me while 2 more run and shoot from maximum range, and by the second turn (I'm still at the entrance without having moved forward since I got engaged right away) poof 7 MORE sectoids appear in front of me, half of them active and shooting.

They hit one rookie, my heavy and sniper panic, and that was pretty much it - if the heavy had not panicked then this could have ended differently I thought to myself. I tried to create a diversion to buy some time for the panic, by having another rookie overwatch a group of 3 aliens standing around without cover while the rookie was in low cover - I figure he'd be a yummy target. Which didn't really work. They took out of my panic'd sniper behind heavy cover, but at least the heavy was alive in position to take revenge! YEAH! And then he shoots wide and kills 2 instead of the 4+ he was going to kill.... gg.

That's XCOM baby! =)

(*) My first playthrough ever was in classic since I'm a superhuman original xcom veteran. It went well, but I did have to reload a few times since I had no clue what to research and about satellites and whatnot. My second playthrough was classic ironman, which was a lot of fun and nerve wracking at the time, but ever since moving on to ironman impossible it now feels like a fun walk in the park to relieve stress

The map with the mausoleum in the centre is particularly prone to this, they'll teleport right in front of you. On a run in classic ironman, I had 12 enemies including mutons and heavy floaters just pop in front of me on my second turn.
    Yep. That's precisely where it happened for me as well. In future, I'm going to save often whenever Floaters are involved.

The reason the bug occurs more often on higher difficulties is obvious.

The higher the difficulty is, the more often aliens patrol, or move to assist other teams in combat. When moving in the fog of war they will teleport instead of actually moving in order to save time.

The exact cause of the bug obviously is less well known, but seems to be something to do with the calculations deciding that they can teleport rather then move when that isn't actually the case, given the teleportation also allows them to go through walls it would seem that there is some pathing issues with their patrols as well.

But basically because they are moving around more often this increases the odds that you will hit the bug, so basically the higher your difficulty level the more likely it will happen. Additionally it'll happen more often on some maps (those which seem to have patrol pathing issues which are mainly the larger UFOs) more often then on others.

Quote Originally Posted by GridLink View Post
    The reason the bug occurs more often on higher difficulties is obvious.

The higher the difficulty is, the more often aliens patrol, or move to assist other teams in combat. When moving in the fog of war they will teleport instead of actually moving in order to save time.

The exact cause of the bug obviously is less well known, but seems to be something to do with the calculations deciding that they can teleport rather then move when that isn't actually the case, given the teleportation also allows them to go through walls it would seem that there is some pathing issues with their patrols as well.

But basically because they are moving around more often this increases the odds that you will hit the bug, so basically the higher your difficulty level the more likely it will happen. Additionally it'll happen more often on some maps (those which seem to have patrol pathing issues which are mainly the larger UFOs) more often then on others.
    Exactly my idea.
    Maybe this even isn`t a real bug, but the result of the fog of war? I try explaining this in the same way, so the game doesn`t feel that buggy to me :-)