Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Box Art Discussion

Red face New Box Art Discussion

Personally i feel as this cover is pretty amazing with all its detail and color but i really wished they would put elizabeth and songbird on it, or at least Elizabeth. I really do hope this is just a concept or a rough idea. Oh well, at least i hope that the premium edition box cover will be much better and more like the bioshock 2 premium edition was with its holographic and textured cover. What do you guys think?

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...er5/231118.jpg

box cover samples http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.c...1354390724.jpg
    Last edited by hugomaster5; 12-02-2012 at 06:46 AM.

2. I like it but I do feel that Songbird should be in there somewhere.

Elizabeth, got have Elizabeth. She's just as important as Booker in my opinion.

Don't judge the box art cover, it's the game that's matter most. If Irrational Games deliver a mind blowing game. I could care less what's on the cover.

Putting the Songbird there would be a huge spoiler.

Irrational has already appealed to their fans by offering us a mond blowing collectors edition and a fun preorder bonus with exclusive content. In other words, they have everyone that is a fan and has been following this game hooked. Therefore, to appeal to an audience of generic gamers that may be uninformed and just looking for the next badass game will be intrigued bu the generic box art. Its quite a brilliant strategy actually. I know we all wish that Elizabeth was on the box art as well but that would imply that the game has multiplayer content in some form, which it doesn't. Games that are purely a single player experience almost mever have more than one charcter on the box art. And they probably didn't put Songbird on there as to preserve the WOW factor that a lot of unexpecting generic gamers will experience. I personally love the cover because the game has seemed so much about Elizabeth so far and I think there needs to be more promotion of the protagonist that we're going to become.

I feel like it looks a bit too much like the generic shooter covers i.e. guy posing with a gun, too cool to look at anything happening behind him(they even got the blue and orange trope in there!).

Though frankly, "Bioshock Infinite" could be written in crayon on the box and I'd still buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmcconnell View Post
    And they probably didn't put Songbird on there as to preserve the WOW factor that a lot of unexpecting generic gamers will experience. I personally love the cover because the game has seemed so much about Elizabeth so far and I think there needs to be more promotion of the protagonist that we're going to become.
    I agree with that Justin on preserving the wow factor for playing the game. It makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint that they did something to appeal to a broader audience. But like The Parasite said I'd buy it regardless of what's on the cover. It'll be out before we know it!

8. In fact, I really like this cover. Elizabeth could have been on there too and it would be even better, but it is not necessary. She and Booker will be the main protagonists of the game. And you will see Elizabeth almost all the time, since she is with you. But you will play as Booker...so you will see everything out of his perspective...but I think that you won't see him too often himself. So it is ok with me, if he would be on the cover of the game. The scenery is not too bad for my taste too. We maybe know that Bioshock Infinite will be much more than just some random shooter....but how can this be symbolized on the cover of the game....and is that really necessary? The pose and the whole atmosphere of this cover may show Booker as some kind of really hard guy...but that is what he is. At least he seems like that as far as we know. As an Ex-Pinkerton-Agent who has seen a lot of things. Of course he is not one-dimensional like a character from some random shooter would be...but again this is hard to display on a cover.
    Long story short, I really like this artwork and since we all know what the game is like and that it is special it does not matter what is on the cover, but on the disk. The cover-art is just the the icing on the cake and in this case, I really like the icing.

Well, they could put Elizabeth on the back cover.

Hey guys, good news, apparently Elizabeth is in the back of the box, Ken just said it on Twitter(now makes a lot more sense Booker alone in the cover):

Ken Levine ‏@IGLevine
    Gonna have a cool something to show you about Elizabeth in the back of the box, the tv ad, and the key art soon. #bioshockinfinite

https://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/274981902052646913

And it seams we gonna have some new footage soon...

Quote Originally Posted by vsharres View Post
    Hey guys, good news, apparently Elizabeth is in the back of the box, Ken just said it on Twitter(now makes a lot more sense Booker alone in the cover):

Ken Levine ‏@IGLevine
    Gonna have a cool something to show you about Elizabeth in the back of the box, the tv ad, and the key art soon. #bioshockinfinite

Maybe she'll open up little tears with screenshots and descriptions. Otherwise I dont know how they'll put her on the back cover without getting in the way of her face/body. Unless the box came with a slip cover....that'd be awesome.

12. Quote Originally Posted by vsharres View Post
    Ken Levine ‏@IGLevine
    Great news. I am really looking forward to see it soon^^

Like the fella up there said,it's probably a marketing strategy,the guy goes to the store and "Oh,a badass cover with a cool guy and a gun,gotta be a cool game",that would certainly help to appeal to a broader audience.I'm not really caring that much actually,since my copy is a digital one.

I feel like I should preface this by saying that Bioshock is easily one of my favorite franchise going -- and I've already pre-ordered the game for PS3 and 360 (songbird - woot). But this cover falls decidedly in the generic shooter category like so many others. Remove Bioshock from it and this could literally be any of the dozens of shooters that come out each year.

Luckily - I play the game on the disc, not the cover.

I honestly wanted something more Bioshock,

Logo in the Centered in the middle at the top, Songbird up front A grand view of Columbia behind Songbird and clear skys behind that.

That way it would look like the first two covers.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Systemaddict View Post
    But this cover falls decidedly in the generic shooter category like so many others. Remove Bioshock from it and this could literally be any of the dozens of shooters that come out each year.
    I couldn't agree more.
    I just wish they could make the cover more unique!
    A good game cover should not only intrigue possible buyers, but should also tell a little about the game.
    While the current cover might hint at one of the main themes of the game, and that it is clearly a shooter.
    It leaves out the core aspect and most important character of the game.
    Elizabeth? Songbird?
    No, I believe just like how Rapture was the most important character in the first Bioshock, Columbia looks to be just the same.
    I think they should retry the cover if it isn't too late. Include the city of Columbia, the time period and Elizabeth and get rid of the generic hero pose and all that orange and blue.

17. I really don't see the problem with the cover here. May it look like some regular shooter. The name Bioshock alone will make it stand out. A lot of people have played or at least heared of Bioshock in the past. Bioshock and also Bioshock Infinite had a lot of time, a lot of interviews in tons of Game magazines, online magazines, and some really awesome trailers and gameplay videos to show what it is like. So the ones who have been following these news, will know the difference between Bioshock Infinite and some random and generic shooter. I don't know how you buy games...but I never judge a game by the cover. Games I have heared of before or ones I have played another part of a series of are the interesting ones for me. And even if someone will buy it just by looking at the cover...they will at least see that it is different while they play it and then tell others about that. I don't see why we should want some kind of philosophical or whatever like cover art, which shows that Bioshock Infinite is a much more complex and clever game than the most games out there. Again. It is almost impossible to express that on the cover. Or can you judge the game-experience of Portal 2 for example by looking at the cover? I doubt that.
    I think that this piece of art is a very well done and really nice one. I am just curious about the other side with Elizabeth on it. But I am sure that it will be just great too. I don't see why so many people here do not like the cover art and have the requirement to buy a game where you can see that it is profound and much much more intelligent just by looking at the cover. In the end the game and the game experience are the important factors.

Hello Irrational,

I actually created an account in order to give my feedback on your recent Bioshock Infinite cover art. I'm a 31 year old gamer, and a huge fan of the Bioshock series, and Irrational as a whole. But honestly, taking into consideration that you've been flawless with your art design, concepts and visual feel for the game, how could you approve such a cover art?

Now most of you who'd see this would be like, what's the big deal about this? It's just a cover, and you can't judge a game's quality by the cover. I fully agree on this point, and I'll say this is just my personal opinion. There could have been so many other great options for your cover, like the logo with the torn flag enlarged on the cover, or Elizabeth (who happens to be the most intriguing character, and the one character most of us playing the game would have some sort of attachment to.) Or for that matter anything that represents the turmoil happening in Columbia.

Seeing that the game is probably in first person, most of us would project ourselves onto the main character. That was one of the most successful ingredients for the first Bioshock game. But of course, the main character was silent, helping us project that image even more. This just my artistic point of view. The cover simply does not represent the depth and quality that I've seen come from Infinite.

I believe every aspect of your game (even cover) should represent that. I want to look at the game and say that every aspect of it is phenomenal. The cover simply does not attract or give any sort of interest. It's just a guy holding a shotgun. How is anything of your game represented in that? The revolution, the turmoil, the mission to protect Elizabeth? I don't see it or feel it.

It disappoints me that everything else seems to be great except for this cover, which I bet the artist could redo over 2 or 3 days. If this is possible, please reconsider changing the cover. Give it some sort of meaning in order to represent your game's art design and concept more accurately. I will most definitely buy your game. I am fascinated by the game's content, powerful presentation and story. I am just saying what I think should be done in order to make a perfect package. As a fan of yours, I simply want the best for a studio I support and respect.

Please look into this. You have my sincere thanks!

I definitely think that there was a lot of 2K marketing involved in the cover design, and like people have said, the reason it looks so familiar is because we've seen this cover a thousand times before. However, I can't imagine Irrational not having some kind of say in the final product. If Elizabeth is on the back cover, that's great, but she should be on the front, and everybody knows it. I'm getting a bad feeling that whoever designed the cover was told not to have Liz on the front because you can't put a girl on the cover of a game that isn't the protagonist.

Methinks this would've made better boxart:

The official boxart is trying to hard to be Max Payne 3.

To be honest, I'm glad Elizabeth isn't on the front cover. I can't shake the "damsel in distress" feeling that has been shown in the last few pictures (and yes, this is something that I've felt from nearly every poster/potential art cover that we've seen). Yes, it's generic. Yes, it's typical "shooter" fair, but I haven't seen a still picture of Elizabeth, other than the Songbird GI cover, that hasn't made me feel that you have to "protect and save" her.

Call me a grumpy female gamer if you will, but I like parts of the cover. I'd have liked the songbird to be on there (then again, if Irrational is trying to distance themselves from Bioshock it makes sense that it isn't on the cover), but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Ah well. It's not the cover that matters but the game itself.

Unfortunately resembles Uncharted too much

23. Quote Originally Posted by TrunkJunky View Post
    Methinks this would've made better boxart:

The official boxart is trying to hard to be Max Payne 3.
    I don't see to much difference between this and the actual cover art. You can not see what the game is like and that it is so different form other games. It's Booker with a gun...and Elizabeth who will be on the backside of the actual cover as Ken has already twittered. So the difference is not too big if you look at me.

More and more it wont so much be 'cover/box art' as games in 'brick and mortar' stores are disappearing and there will be less 'in your hand' purchasing of these games.

if it were up to me i would choose something basic such as this. I believe something like this would leave the gamer with more questions than answers and make them wonder more on what bioshock infinite is all about. all in all its clean, simple and above all NOT flashy. (OPINION)

Classy and badass are the first words that come to mind when looking at the supposedly final Booker. And I'm glad they changed him just in time. It's true we can't all agree on whether it fits good or bad a Bioshock Game because of our personal tastes and expectations, but some of us might have been looking at Songbird perched up somewhere in the background.
    I still don't know why someone considered it to be too spoilerish (we've been knowing him since 2010) but it would be a nice touch to remind everyone of past bioshock games with its yellow glowing eyes...

I think there might be a reason why they didn't add Elizabeth in the cover because it might reveal that Elizabeth might actually be an antagonist since it's a common pattern that Irrational has (System Shock 2 has Janice Polito/Shodan, Bioshock 1 has Atlas/Fontaine).

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    To be honest, I'm glad Elizabeth isn't on the front cover. I can't shake the "damsel in distress" feeling that has been shown in the last few pictures (and yes, this is something that I've felt from nearly every poster/potential art cover that we've seen). Yes, it's generic. Yes, it's typical "shooter" fair, but I haven't seen a still picture of Elizabeth, other than the Songbird GI cover, that hasn't made me feel that you have to "protect and save" her.

Call me a grumpy female gamer if you will, but I like parts of the cover. I'd have liked the songbird to be on there (then again, if Irrational is trying to distance themselves from Bioshock it makes sense that it isn't on the cover), but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Ah well. It's not the cover that matters but the game itself.
    Or worse, it could've been Elizabeth's rack front and center.

Quote Originally Posted by TheParasite View Post
    Or worse, it could've been Elizabeth's rack front and center.
    As someone with a large chest and a rather curvy body structure, I will testify that is the exact effect that corsets have. And it could have always been worse - at least the majority of her boobs are covered. It's not like we have any Ivy triple j cup size being held together with what looks like a strand of barbed wire...

That said, her boobs aren't the biggest issue I've had - its a combo of the boobs and her supposed helplessness.

They just posted on the Irrational site. Turns out, they hired one of the Elizabeth cosplayers to actually "be" Elizabeth (minus her voice). It's her face on that picture that's already been posted on this thread, which is also the picture of Elizabeth on the back of the box. And if that weren't enough, it sounds like she's going to be Liz in a live-action commercial. (or something along those lines) Interesting indeed, and a great way to show love to the amazing Bioshock cosplayers out there.

Greetings fellow Bioshock fans,

I have been reading about the negative reception of the revealed cover art for the new game. I have a simple solution! Why couldn't the community vote out of 3 or so choices that appear more as a tribute to what Bioshock really is. Not your everyday shooter. Perhaps the Concept Artist and or Art Lead could create something more respectful to the franchises roots. Something to make it stand out, how could what they came up with catch anyones eye on the shelf?

Welcome to the forum BlunderBuss.

As someone with a large chest and a rather curvy body structure, I will testify that is the exact effect that corsets have. And it could have always been worse - at least the majority of her boobs are covered. It's not like we have any Ivy triple j cup size being held together with what looks like a strand of barbed wire...

That said, her boobs aren't the biggest issue I've had - its a combo of the boobs and her supposed helplessness.
    I'm actually very glad she wasn't on the cover(also the eventual cringe inducing articles about sexuality in gaming). In the old mock ups of the cover she's always behind Booker looking scared so I guess they DIDN'T want to give that "she's so frail you must protect the precious" vibe on the cover.

though frankly I feel this is all marketing anyway. They need to pull in the gamers who aren't familiar with the franchise and what better way than with an attractive, gruff Caucasian man front and center holding a gun surrounded by fire?

Quote Originally Posted by hugomaster5 View Post
    if it were up to me i would choose something basic such as this. I believe something like this would leave the gamer with more questions than answers and make them wonder more on what bioshock infinite is all about. all in all its clean, simple and above all NOT flashy. (OPINION)

That is exactly what I was saying in my post. A simple, clean but great cover art. Well done on the effort Hugomaster5.

I would certainly print that out if you can create a complete cover like that once the game is out!

I for one am not disappointed with the cover...If you look at the original Bioshock cover it did not truly represent what the game was about. It represent one of the more iconic enemies you encountered. It did say anything about Objetivism, Ryan or Fontaine. And of course it couldn't had Jack in the cover since he is a cipher, without a predetermined character.

The game now is about the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth. Nothing more natural than to have in the cover the character that you actually plays with.

And the wait hasn't been long to know what the back of the cover would be:

http://irrationalgames.com/insider/w...-we-hired-one/

And I knew it they changed Lizbeth's sweet face last time we saw her in the Beasts of America trailer! But to know she will be modeled after that really talented cosplayer is kinda unexpected. What do you think?

I don't care if it had Tim Tebow on the cover, i was just thrilled to see a cover...it's just another sign that let me know that were finally getting close!

So her defeating huge groups of enemies, ripping open space-time, conjuring intense storms, and kicking armed men in the 'nards is "helpless"?

I'd hate to meet a woman you consider capable!

I'm digging the folded open cover, showing Booker on front and Elizabeth on the back. Of course the cover was handled with marketing input--every cover goes through marketing. It has to have mass appeal. The solution is to give hardcore fans, who don't need convincing, something special when they preorder the collector editions.

EDIT: Or make the cover reversible. Print it so those who want Elizabeth (or Songbird, or a combination) on the front can just turn the cover inside out.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Does Booker look slightly different in almost every picture? I mean, Elizabeth looks about the same in all of them, but Booker looks like he is continually changing.

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    So her defeating huge groups of enemies, ripping open space-time, conjuring intense storms, and kicking armed men in the 'nards is "helpless"?

I'd hate to meet a woman you consider capable!

I'm digging the folded open cover, showing Booker on front and Elizabeth on the back. Of course the cover was handled with marketing input--every cover goes through marketing. It has to have mass appeal. The solution is to give hardcore fans, who don't need convincing, something special when they preorder the collector editions.

EDIT: Or make the cover reversible. Print it so those who want Elizabeth (or Songbird, or a combination) on the front can just turn the cover inside out.
    No, I'm not saying her in game representation that we've seen so far is helpless, I'm saying the promotional art we've seen is very "damsel from a B-movie." I never once referenced in game, jape :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast