Thread: I hope the 'Slingshot' DLC patches and updates the current version

Post I hope the 'Slingshot' DLC patches and updates the current version

Many bugs will be addressed and fixed.

Ihope
    Last edited by Aegeri; 12-03-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Please be more careful with the wording of your thread titles!

I doubt it. It would be unfair for the people who do not buy the DLC. If they would go this road however, it's some devious, and downright nasty, path.

I never heard about patches which cost money.

Kind regards,

Low

Sorry to say but I am going to change the thread title here so there isn't any confusion/excitement about an announcement on this issue that isn't true. Don't want people getting the wrong idea and thinking 2k or firaxis have said anything about a patch when there hasn't been such word! Got to be careful with how you word such things!

My personal hope is you are correct though and we get DLC plus patch with slingshot.

Edit: Also generally speaking DLCs are commonly used on consoles to sneak patch games without violating certain rules Microsoft/Sony have. The patches are given without needing to buy the DLC in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Low_K View Post
    I doubt it. It would be unfair for the people who do not buy the DLC. If they would go this road however, it's some devious, and downright nasty, path.

I never heard about patches which cost money.

Kind regards,

Low
    I would expect a patch to accompany the DLC whether we buy it or not. As you've said, the alternative would be plain out of order - Firaxis know that and won't do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't companies release patches with DLC nearly every time?
    The idea being to prepare the vanilla game for the upcoming changes?
    Could be that they are bundling fixes with the prep for the DLC.
    *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by Aegeri View Post
    Edit: Also generally speaking DLCs are commonly used on consoles to sneak patch games without violating certain rules Microsoft/Sony have. The patches are given without needing to buy the DLC in my experience.
    Yeah, this ^

The current style, especially with games getting DLC content that can appear in online games, is to patch everyone's game for free with the content, then charge people the cost of the DLC for a 100kb unlock key. It stops your player base getting fractured.

I don't know how the financials of it work out though, because console manufacturers charge a hefty chunk for the release of a patch...