Thread: The VGA Trailer: New information, and speculation

The VGA Trailer: New information, and speculation

Hey all, I know it's a little early to do so, but I figured I should start the process of squeezing the new VGA trailer for all the information it's worth.

If you haven't seen it already, I'm sure someone will put up a link to it soon, and I'll be more than happy to put a redirect up here afterwards. (Though I'm pretty sure kotaku has a video of it, but it hasn't been working for me.)

Fair warning: We're going to be sifting through every little tidbit, so while there might not be any spoilers, those of you who want to go into the game fresh and without any expectations might want to avoid this discussion for a while.

Right, so, here's what I can glean:

Booker falls into Elizabeth's room, perhaps without even trying; he seems a bit dazed and sarcastic at the moment.

Elizabeth has books..... LOTS Of them. When she first sees you, she's holding the Odyssey, (perhaps a reference to the great journey she's about to go on, as has always longed to partake in, given her imprisonment.) While she’s initially panicking at booker’s rather sudden intrusion, she begins to throw them at him. One that she’s holding onto is ‘The principles of quantum mechanics’ by Rosalind Luticu. I couldn’t’ find this book anywhere, or the author. Given that it’s a fictional world, who knows where it comes from. Also, given that Elizabeth’s powers involve alternate universes and time travel, I’m guessing that this will lead to some of the greater themes of the game.

She's missing the last joint of her pinkie finger on her right hand. Odd, considering in all the other trailers, she's got all her fingers. Either this is a more recent addition for story reasons, or she's going to regrow her finger at some point. Given that she has a metal cap on the end; it’s very likely that this happened a while ago.

She also has longer hair than we've seen, and a different outfit. Then again, that’s not as big a chance as regrowing a bloody finger.

Booker has “ A D “ on the back of his right hand, not sure what that pertains to, though since it’s popped up in other trailers, I’m guessing someone has a theory.
    Elizabeth’s room: The signal that someone’s coming to visit Elizabeth in her room is a large bronze statue of what looks like a confederate officer. Perhaps Robert E Lee, given the mustache. There are American flags hanging off the back of the statue, and they’re quite tattered, much resembling the design for the motorized patriot. Why Elizabeth has one of these in her room is likely worth a look into. I do recall someone saying that John Wilkes booth had a statue to him somewhere else in the game, so perhaps they celebrate anyone who was an enemy of Lincoln. Also, I don’t recognise the tune, could someone look it up?
    “Are you real?” Oh boy, that’s a big one right there. Elizabeth freaks out, starts throwing books because she’s startled, and her first question to booker involves whether or not he is in fact a figment of her mind. Few things leading into this, we know from recent press releases that Elizabeth’s been contained all her life, and that people are not allowed to approach her while she is awake. Meaning that the poor little girl really has grown up with no companionship other than songbird.
    The key to Elizabeth’s room is a heavy metal key, with the image of a bird imprinted on one side, and a cage on another. Obviously, Elizabeth is the bird in the cage, whether that cage might be her tower, or the cage of Columbia, the metaphor is clear. Likewise, when Elizabeth takes the key, it begins to spin. This is actually a rather common optical illusion, where by spinning, the two images are overlaid on top of each other, so it appears to the eye as if the bird is caged.

Cut to battle scene: we’ve seen most of this before, but it’s worth taking a look at.
    Looks like Elizabeth is still missing a finger, but it’s hard to see. She is however in her classic outfit, with shorter hair, so we’ve had at least some time to rest.
    Booker says” time to go” and jumps onto a skyline, implying that Elizabeth can follow him. Whether she has her own skyhook, can fly, or teleport, it’s unknown, I’ve never seen her move from place to place, only appear when needed in the midst of combat.

Booker is able to jump off of the skyline and knock people off upon landing. Seen this before, but it’s more obvious in this trailer.
    Booker fighting the devil headed heady troops: I’m thinking that these guys are Vox heavy troopers, given that the district he’s fighting in has red banners, and the colour scheme fits. Booker performs a melee attack with the skyhook, and performs a brutal finisher

Through a combination of devil’s kiss and swarm of crows, booker appears to have set his crow swam on fire. FLAMING CROWS PEOPLE! Though this might be effects bleed through, it might be an ability to overlap the vigors in new ways.
    Elizabeth tossing you ammo: always nice to have a friend around when you’re being shot at.
    Elizabeth calls out “Handyman” when one enters the battlefield, and it is tagged on your screen. Elizabeth might take on the role of spotter for you in the heat of combat.

The handyman cannonballs his way onto a Vox airship, smashes it, then jumps onto the ground as it crashes. Looks like it’s pretty obvious whose side he’s on.
    The handyman jumps up to the skyline and electrifies it, knocking booker off. Looks like the lumbering gorilla has a few tricks up his iron sleeves. The Effect seems to cover the entire skyline, probably to prevent the player from hanging out of reach and taking pot-shots at him.

That looks about it. If anyone has anything else to add, or any ideas on what this stuff might mean. Give a shout.

Nice description and analysis of what we've seen briefly; and I agree that the two scenes are not set in the chronologic order. Spinning the key is not a teleporting device or something. I gotta say I loved that humming statue scene which warns Liz when Songbird is coming. The animation looked cool and fast paced though it'd be easier to judge if we saw the trailer in better quality. Otherwise using vigor fusions is the way to go and I only hope they kept the "swallowing a bottle move" so you never see that syringe move from past bioshock games.
    On a negative note, the tears Liz's using are seen too briefly to judge but from the press impressions, all we've seen are only weapon caches, vantage points, turrets and nothing crazy yet (hope they're just holding on to things for now) and I'm not too fond of the Quake-like heavy units of Vox Populi as they look too much out of place in 1912...

Quote Originally Posted by losstarot View Post
    and I'm not too fond of the Quake-like heavy units of Vox Populi as they look too much out of place in 1912...
    From what I can tell, they're wearing burlap masks, stitched together and painted red. It's a scare tactic really, considering they're heavily armored, throwing fire, and the Founders are now hyper religious. Also likely has some connection to the devil ring we've seen Booker wearing in some clips.

I don't think she's missing her pinkie finger - though that was my initial thought too. It looks almost like a thimble, which is a piece of metal one puts over their finger when they are sewing to prevent one's finger from being stabbed (a lifesaver, if you want to keep sensitivity in your fingertips, I say!) It may have looked a little stunted because they are flat across the top.

However, a caveat to my interpretation of this - I have never seen anyone use a thimble that far down their hand. If she's doing a lot of large sewing projects by hand (ie: her own clothes) and needs to handle a large amount of fabric then maybe she needs the extra dexterity. However, I've never seen one that far down a person's hand. Still, it's possible.

~*~

One thing that I find interesting (annoying?) is the constant sound whenever Booker uses the murder of crows tonic in the battle scene. Right under the sound of battle, there's a sound almost akin to the Songbird screech but at a much lower sound level. I don't know if that's something that's been noticed before, but it caught my attention. Maybe it's an indication as to where the birds come from - if Elizabeth is the source of all power in Columbia and thus the source of power of the Vigors, then it could be that you're tearing tiny holes in space time every time you use a power.

I can also see that little shriek getting annoying fast, but we're going to have to see how it goes in gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Violetalpha View Post
    One that she’s holding onto is ‘The principles of quantum mechanics’ by Rosalind Luticu. I couldn’t’ find this book anywhere, or the author. Given that it’s a fictional world, who knows where it comes from.
    How hard did you look for that book?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princip...ntum_Mechanics

Same title, different author and time of publication.

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    I don't think she's missing her pinkie finger - though that was my initial thought too. It looks almost like a thimble, which is a piece of metal one puts over their finger when they are sewing to prevent one's finger from being stabbed (a lifesaver, if you want to keep sensitivity in your fingertips, I say!) It may have looked a little stunted because they are flat across the top.

However, a caveat to my interpretation of this - I have never seen anyone use a thimble that far down their hand. If she's doing a lot of large sewing projects by hand (ie: her own clothes) and needs to handle a large amount of fabric then maybe she needs the extra dexterity. However, I've never seen one that far down a person's hand. Still, it's possible.
    Perhaps, though considering that the thimble literally 'replaces' her pinky, it's pretty safe to say that's she is missing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewin3 View Post
    Perhaps, though considering that the thimble literally 'replaces' her pinky, it's pretty safe to say that's she is missing it.
    In the beast of America trailer, when booker and Elizabeth are falling from the sky, you can see that Elizabeth's pinky is bandaged so that pretty much proves the missing finger theory too..