Thread: Unfair deal for you -- Wut?

Unfair deal for you -- Wut?

I get this a lot.

I put up a resource and the AI says "anything we suggest would be an unfair deal for you."

So I say ok, and click on one of their resources that I want and click on 'what do you want for this?'

They turn around and want 5 of three separate strategic resources, 500+ gold, open borders, and 4 luxuries. For one luxury item.

Unfair deal for me, huh?

This is while trading with friendly empires, I'll add.

Sounds like you're asking for their last one of the resource.

Analogy.

You have a delicious cookie. Your friend has a baked potato. Your friend asks you to trade!
    You don't like potatoes, and so you say no. He persists, asking what would change your mind. You jokingly reply, $50.
    He gets mad at you, and goes to post about it on an internet forum.

Sometimes an AI appears to be friendly when they are not. Trades is a good way to find out where they really stand

Having scouted their area, I know that they have multiples of said thing I desire. So the last one is kind of moot. It's just silly that the "unfair trade for you" statement is exactly opposite of what they say when you ask for something of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Leuthesius View Post
    Having scouted their area, I know that they have multiples of said thing I desire.
    Unless they traded them with other AIs

As Civdiss said, he's probably planning on attacking you. If they won't trade fairly, they aren't really your friend.

Not infrequently a civ will go from guarded (many negative modifiers, including expanding too quickly, got wonders they wanted, craving your land, warmonger) to asking for a DOF (sharing an embassy, with no negative modifiers showing). When that happens, gird for war -- they are exercising their right to be deceptive, and a backstab DOW is coming. But that represents opportunity, as well, once you destroy their invading force.

I'm beginning to think I don't pay enough attention to these nuances.

Well, there is another possibility: if they are your neighbor, they may be at war with someone, or about to DOW someone, and want to make sure all will remain quiet on your front (checking Global Politics can confirm). Of course, that too represents opportunity, if you don't mind being the backstabber.

Your friend has a baked potato. Your friend asks you to trade!

Now I'm genuinely curious about that broken image link

Ditto to that.