Thread: XCOM Project Terminated

XCOM Project Terminated

Hey guys I'm both new to the game and here. I'm currently playing XCOM in classic and ironman mode to get the PS3 trophy. First thing I have to tell is that this game is ridiculously hard and sometimes unfair lol. Anyway I was playing for the 13th time a new game since I failed all the others, and I got pretty far (I think). I was managing everything at a very good rate. I had a good amount of soldiers and an entire squad composed of 5 sergeants. I even bring up the SHIV for the lulz and it was awesome. My home base was North America, and I had all of Europe under satellite coverage. In one month I got as high as ~400 credits, and my squad had 3 carapace armors and laser rifles (love them). Anyway I was playing great, until I hit a very large UFO and my sergeant squad got eliminated by those damn thin mans and crysallids. I fought crysallids before on a terror mission and things went well (I had to reload PS3 a couple of times though, but sometimes I don't care if one or two high rank soldiers die by fair means).

So I said ok, I have an entire squad of corporals to substitute my veterans, and I had rookies as backup. BUT as soon as I got to another mission, bam mutons appeared. Not just that, a mini UFO!!!! killed all my guys. After that I sent my rookies to another mission and the mutons made joke of them lol. Panic everywere, XCOM Project terminated. The only thing I know I did wrong was to sell a large number of alloys and fragments to buy things and facilities. But other than that everything was going perfect. I need advice from the experts and veterans!!!!!

Satelites are key to the game. I have played several Ironman (classic) games and have never lost a territory. You build the Sat's but don't deploy them until 2 days till the Council meeting. This will allow you to get the most panicked territories reduced by placing the sat's. The more Sat's you get out, the more income you get each month.

I also never sell Alloy or Fragments as it is needed in research and development. Get your Laser weapons as fast as possible (at least for the assualt rifle), then get your Carapace armor. I also dropped my nades and went with the Nano-Fiber Vest. My Heavy and Sniper uses a S.C.O.P.E. to give a better chance to hit. Smart and slow play during the missions also help. Stay alive (I lost 3 missions my first time winning Classic Ironman).

By the end of the 1st month you should be able to get 3 - 4 Sat's up (1 in the start and 2 - 3 built during the month). Build a Sat Link as you will need it (money management to get those up). If you are in North America, get Africa first as you get a bonus in cash for getting all 3 sat's up in Africa (but mind the panic level). Also when your placing Sat's. If you have a high $$ Country in a high panic state, try to get it over a lesser panic country.

When you are about to choose a mission, back out and look at the situation room and determine what territories can handle a panic increase. Remember it's 2 for the country that is listed and 1 for each other country in the continent.

Yup I was very aware of my satellite coverage. I chose all the abduction missions based on panic levels and my goal was to get satellites on all continents except South America and Africa. South America goes panic and Africa gets all the abduction missions without fear of panic in other countries. This is the satellite stalling strategy I read on the XCOM wiki. So I'll try again without selling the items, thanks for the reply.

Thin men are difficult because they are quite accurate and mobile, so in turn I would suggest boosting your own accuracy via scope or your survivability via nanofibre vests. I would place vest on the heavies and scope on the others. The heavies should have enough hp to survive a hit, and the rest of the squad should be hitting more. Also, thin men overwatch quite a bit so get an Assault with the 'lightning reflexes' ability to move first. Coupled with a shotgun and run and gun, that assault will be quite effective at taking out single overwatched thin men.
    You need a heavy with heat ammo (or two) to effectively take out the cyberdisks and a squad sight sniper should help with the mutons, I find its best to keep them at a distance.

Hey guys, I'm also reasonably new to the game (although I did play the OG when I was very little) - I'm playing on Easy, at least for now - every time I think I'm getting to grips with it, the game throws something new at me as a punishment just like the guy said in the OP.

What I'd like to know really is what's the best way of knowing what aliens to expect on a mission? Clearly there's no 'secret formula' for equipping your troops - it's all down to preference - but is it really down to pot luck?

I'm not far off taking a higher challenge, but I'm looking for a way to plan my mission better to increase my efficiency in getting through it.

I rarely use nano-fiber vests and when i do it always goes on assaults since they're usually closest to action.

I don't think there is a way to know what aliens will be on the mission. But of course if you start it up a few times, then you get familiar with the game. Anyway, Carapace Armor and Laser Rifles are fine, but if you don't sell weapon fragments or alloys, or elerium, you end up usually having to wait till the next month. Anyone stating that him/her/spacealien can put up all those sattellites is to me just plain wrong. Too much to put into the game and that takes time. (and you need engineers to do all that with not scientists. Sometimes for me anyway, a mission will go well, but at other times, like one reviewer at Gamespot stated, you just want to throw the XCOM DVD disk out the window. So it varies a little like between a bomb disposal mission instead of a VIP mission and usually after awhile of playing and starting it over, you can tell just about what aliens will be in the mission. Right now I got a squad that I have kept alive but a lot of them on some missions don't seem to be able to hit the broad side of a barn sometimes. Other times, they can. I think the game in a sense cheats sometimes and makes it seem like your Squaddies are brand new, but it could also be that the Officer Training School has not been built and you have not bought the Increase Experience or Will increasing with every kill.

I also think that I am going to build early the Arc Thrower and the Alien Containment, and see how many aliens I can put in one of those instead of kill them all the time. Some you can not stun while others you can. It is just the way the game is!

Also, you can save the game before going on the mission when the squaddie screen is up on who you are taking along for the mission but you have to back out and get to the main screen to save it, then get up Mission Control again and pick the mission again. Also if it is a map or mission you do not like you can load up the saved game again, but the mission place (picking the same mission out of the three) will be different (map different) every time you do that, or you can save the first thing in the mission when you arrive and play the same mission until you win (which may not really be possible to do, see post above for that explanation).
    I save all the time with that, and even changed which Squaddies are going on the mission, but found out that every time you do pick it again from Mission Control that the same mission you picked again will have a different map.

Ah, also a player has about 24 hours before the mission goes away also, so you can (what happens) fly there and back to the base pick different squaddies and pick the mission again and (the map will be different each time you do that) and go back to the mission and try it again. I do that all the time, since the mission map changes especially after a mission that seem to have been from Hel*, because changing the map also may change the aliens which also may make it better to win that mission in the end.

I don't think it is cheating since lack of information is the game anyway, and that a player never knows what aliens to expect and sometimes like with Thin Men they never miss in a mission it seems while in others they do depending on that randomness built into the game. In other words some missions (even though they should relatively be the same except for the hard missions, some are harder again because of that randomness and look like it is just a mission to wipe out your Squad in that sense.

To play the game straight through is really in a sense (in Classic and above) is hard to do without reloading a saved game sometimes.

(or my playing is just so bad some days, I have to reload the saved game, while other times I just can breeze through a mission).

Thanks for the replies guys.

@jingo Since you're playing on Easy try to get your squad as high rank as possible. If your squad gets eliminated and only 1 or 2 were alice try to restart the mission and see how things go this time. I agree on item preference so always try to have a support with lots of medikits, your tank (assault and heavy) with fiber vests and your sniper with scope.

@spacegrump I have managed to get +10 engineers during the first month. I don't worry much about scientists so I build a workshop and try to get another sat uplink ASAP. What I'm gonna do this time is to try to get plasma technology by capturing aliens early because you get their weapons for research. I will stay more on cover this time and get those damn thin mans.

You need nine engineers to build your first workshop, and always the first mission has to be for engineers, but then you also need money to build it with. I have about at most 3 satellites ready about the end of the month or at least two, three because of the added satellite a player can have by building adjacent ah, satellite (forgot the name) well any player should know while playing the game.

Ah, satellite uplink - ya that what it is.

I just keep playing the beginning of the game, have not finished it yet. I have had up to 619credits by the fourth month of the game, if I remember correctly. Right now, I deleted all the game I have started and am doing a game whether reloading a save or not until I finish the game. Last time I got bummed out after the cargo (human cargo?) ship. After all the mutons, there was still chrysalids to go plus what is always left in a UFO spaceship on a mission. the Beserker Mutons are funny though to me, could have captured quite a few of them especially the leader if that muton can be stunned. (after shooting him a bit).

Almost feel sorry now for the Floaters as sometimes I think they want to be captured in the game, as a player should feel sorry for all the misfits aliens in the game, I guess.

Your failure (when you fail a mission and loss entire squad) increases panic and closes your defeat. X-COM project was closed because your 2 defeats. WyrmHero, I can recommend you to plan your moves carefuly and do not loss your teams. The key to victory consists of the following components:

- Train beginners by taking them into battle being accompanied by veterans.

- Do not spread your squad - keep soldiers close to each other, but not too close to be damaged by one grenade.

- Concentrate fire on one enemy to kill it faster. It is always better to kill one enemy instead of damage 3 enemies. Your goal is to take out more enemy guns faster. One killed alien is minus one gun. And you take less damage from aliens next move.

- Always detect and kill enemies with one move. Never allow aliens to return fire.

- Sniper + any recon (or heavy + any recon) can kill without allowing enemies to attack. Recon detects enemies, snipers kill them. Heavy can act like a sniper using his RPG.

- Sniper with scanner ability. Group snipers together, throw a scanner to detect enemies and end your move. Shot enemies which don't see you next move.

- Heavies can be even more useful because they kill enemies with a blast wave standing behind a corner. I killed 3 Mutons with one move once by putting 2 missiles into a wall near them shooting from behind a corner. Those aliens did not even see my heavies. Grenades can work the same way too.

- Assault troops with "double shot" and "fire on the move" abilities. When you use both abilities at once, your soldier runs very far and makes 2 shots in the ending point. So, you can close to an enemy, detect and and kill him with one move and with one soldier.

- Do not feel shy to retreat and lure aliens into a trap of snipers and heavies. To do this, never run too far. Run towards the blue border and retreat the same move if aliens are detected. Never run too far because you are not able to retreat when you are beyond the blue border.

- Use all abilities, missiles and grenades more often - it will make the game easier. Do not economy abilities. Use all you have to kill detected aliens. And then - just stand and wait until abilities reload. You can even skip some moves after a battle waiting for reloading.

- Blaster launchers help a lot in later game. They can fire missiles behind corners.

- Stealth armor is very useful for snipers in later game. You turn stealthness on, move snipers and wait for the next move. Aliens don't see you and do nothing. Next move your stealthness disappear, but you shoot this move and kill enemies. I love to trap aliens this way. They don't have even a chance to fire.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great advice. I want to play the game on ironman mode without having to reload the game, but I can't do it. The game percentages are too crazy (I reload when I miss a +80% hit). The covers get destroyed so fast by the alien weapons, and soldiers dying while on full cover is frustrating. I would like to know what is the percent of getting hit while on full/half cover. Is it the same as the aliens' cover?

It is the same. But percentage also depends on armor, accuracy, weapon and position. It is known that:

- Mutons are more acurate than thin men and red mutons are even more accurate than green ones. So, different aliens have different chance to hit. In particular, covers are almost useless versus red mutons because of their extreme precision. They miss only if I under cover and on high ground and far enough and running.

- Shooting down from high ground is always more accurate. Shooting up is less accurate. Most covers don't work at all if enemy attacks from high ground. It is especially noticable when fighting thin men: they always jump and take better position.

- Covers protect from one side only. Hit percentage depends on angle of shooting. If you shoot from a side under 30 deg, you have more chance to hit, but cover still works and reduces your chances. If you shoot from from a side under about 60 deg, cover does not work at all. I did not calculate these angles. It is my own feeling. I just noticed that things work like this.

- All shots, even 95% can miss. This is why I keep multiple soldiers together and the second soldier finishes enemy if the first misses.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisheng View Post
    Always detect and kill enemies with one move. Never allow aliens to return fire.
    Ideally, yes. However, that's easier said than done all the time on classic. Still a good tip though as was everything else u said.

Quote Originally Posted by WyrmHero View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. I want to play the game on ironman mode without having to reload the game, but I can't do it. The game percentages are too crazy (I reload when I miss a +80% hit). The covers get destroyed so fast by the alien weapons, and soldiers dying while on full cover is frustrating. I would like to know what is the percent of getting hit while on full/half cover. Is it the same as the aliens' cover?
    You really should try ironman mode. Game is much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by WyrmHero View Post
    Aliens play by the same rules as you. On Normal and Classic, game cheats for you. On Classic and Impossible, game no longer cheats for you and aliens get a small boost.

As for cover numbers, Low COver gives -20 to aim and High Cover gives -40 to cover. Pressing F1 shows all the details.

Reloading the game and repeating action does not change the outcome of the action. Ironman is truly the best way to play the game, though if you don't feel comfortable, then normal playing is OK too.

I am playing in ironman mode, what I meant is that I can't play it without having to reload. I wish that I could play it without caring about a high ranking soldier dying while on full cover, or a 80% miss hit. I know reloading doesn't change the outcome, what I do is that I move and shoot other aliens then shoot again the alien I was missing so that the shot connects. But I feel like I'm cheating, and the constant reloading is bad for my PS3.

- Covers protect from one side only. Hit percentage depends on angle of shooting. If you shoot from a side under 30 deg, you have more chance to hit, but cover still works and reduces your chances. If you shoot from from a side under about 60 deg, cover does not work at all. I did not calculate these angles. It is my own feeling. I just noticed that things work like this.
    Just wanted to say that this is completely wrong. Cover works at a full 180 degrees. The only way to decrease the aim penalty is to get closer (unless you're using a sniper rifle).

Most covers don't work at all if enemy attacks from high ground. It is especially noticable when fighting thin men: they always jump and take better position.
    This is also not true. Use F1 (after targeting an alien) and you can see all the modifiers relative to cover, high ground, etc.

I don't know if some of the other info is correct or not such as Muton's having better aim than Thin men.

Quote Originally Posted by FireVampire View Post
    Just wanted to say that this is completely wrong. Cover works at a full 180 degrees. The only way to decrease the aim penalty is to get closer (unless you're using a sniper rifle).
    You can check it by comparing hit percentage when you attack from different sides.

Quote Originally Posted by toystwo View Post
    This is also not true. Use F1 (after targeting an alien) and you can see all the modifiers relative to cover, high ground, etc.
    I pressed F1. And I noticed that some things are not displayed there. I had 2 assaults attacking a thin man. One was on high ground and had 86% hit chance, another was on the same level with enemy and about 30% hit. Both of my soldiers were at the same distance: one on the roof and another near the wall right under the second soldier. I had multiple such situations and made my conclusions after seeing them. Hit percentage was better sometimes and I think that it was because of height.

I think Thin Men pretty much are the most acurrate guys since their light plasma rifles have +10 aim compared to the Mutons' rifles. This is of course if we suppose our soldiers plasma rifles and the aliens' are the same.

Of course it was because of the height. Height gives you bonus to the aim. What weapons and what levels were your assaults? Higher ranking soldiers also have better aims.