Thread: Equipment exploding when killing enemy.

Equipment exploding when killing enemy.

Hello all.

I was wondering how people get round the problem of recovering equipment from killed enemy. A little frustrated i had to use the kit to make em go unconsious. This is risky as it doesnt always work. I want their equipmet without it costing me troops.

regard gary

Quote Originally Posted by gazpug View Post
    Hello all.

I was wondering how people get round the problem of recovering equipment from killed enemy. A little frustrated i had to use the kit to make em go unconsious. This is risky as it doesnt always work. I want their equipmet without it costing me troops.

regard gary
    It's not easy to capture enemies but it gets easier the more you do it. I give the shocker thingy to my assault troops who are always up front. Usually I take out all the enemies but one. Then I try to capture him. Make sure your soldier you have doing it has plenty of health to withstand an attack. Move everyone up and hunker them down. If the alien has four or five hit points left, use pistols to weaken him without killing him. Once your assault guy gets close enough to try to capture, use him first that round. If he fails, you have all your other guys to kill the baddie so your soldier doesn't get killed.

I try to capture at least one alien per mission now and it's not that hard. Slow and steady, just like the rest of the game.

For me this is probably the best thing about the NG vs the OG - no more swimming in thousands of plasma rifles by month 2! I love the fact that it's risky to capture aliens an alien tech - probably the tensest moments of the game have been setting up captures.

Usually I give a Sprinter Support the Arc Thrower and try to capture when I think it's the last alien. I play without alien health bars so it's always exciting, but my usual approach us to make sure the thrower guy is in range and I also have backup from a rocket or grenade. Then I move up the thrower guy to check the stun % chance, try to whittle the health down with everyone else, go for the stun at 70% or above. If it fails, use my backup explosives to kill the alien. Quite often end up killing the alien by mistake, but better safe than sorry. I just wish you were required to capture more aliens - an Ethereal capture should definitely be required to win I think.

What kind of pokemon are you trying to capture?

hate to break it to you OP but using the arch thrower is the ONLY way to recover alien weapons intact...

getting a xenos hp to 1-3 will greatly increase the chances for a successful stun and upgrading the AT in the foundry will further increase its effectivity...

I also loved the capture idea. It adds a completely different strategy layer to the game. It also helps you make a different game by deciding on what you really want: more saved countries, or plasma rifles ASAP? Have you ever tried playing without wicked satellite coverage, but getting tons of scientists and bee-lining to the Arc Throwers, and then going on a tasing spree? I did. It is cool. Light Plasma Rifles early on ROCK! You get to finally hit those aliens, rather than miss 'em all the time Just add a scope, and your rookies will shoot like colonels

This may be way later in the game, but using mind control and getting the MCed alien killed - Alien grenade! Woops, it slipped from my alien hands - within the MC period nabs you the weapon the alien was using. Granted by that time you'd already have decked your troops in plasma and Titan but, good to know eh?

8. Quote Originally Posted by yurusei View Post
    This may be way later in the game, but using mind control and getting the MCed alien killed - Alien grenade! Woops, it slipped from my alien hands - within the MC period nabs you the weapon the alien was using. Granted by that time you'd already have decked your troops in plasma and Titan but, good to know eh?
    I did not know that. Thanks

Another problem i encountered was being totally tamed by UFO's. And If i manage to get down to the larger UFO's especially the ones that landed i get dominated by the larger aliens. Any advise on troops loadouts. im using some titan body armour and plasma weps. I also use a floating shiv....

^ maybe your squad formation is loose in the sense that not all of your soldiers can fire on a spotted target. mutual fire support is important esp. during the early stages of any mission since the aliens have the advantage of numbers & your soldiers[esp. non maxed out ones] can barely go one on one w/ the more dangerous/high hp ones. [e.g. cyberdisc, berserker, heavy floaters... ]

you should move your troops in a way that they can all fire at targets any squadmates can see but always be mindful of grenade throwing aliens since they wont hesitate to chuck one your way when they see an opportunity.

there are times when the opfor is more than you can realistically handle. when that situation occurs, dont hesitate to break contact and retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by gazpug View Post
    Another problem i encountered was being totally tamed by UFO's. And If i manage to get down to the larger UFO's especially the ones that landed i get dominated by the larger aliens. Any advise on troops loadouts. im using some titan body armour and plasma weps. I also use a floating shiv....
    Make sure your last troop movement isn't the furthest troop movement. This may seem cheap, but your first movement should be the one goes the farthest into an unexplored area. Once you kill a group of aliens, before you move again, reload.