Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Wave now available with the latest patch for XCOM: Enemy Unknown!

Second Wave now available with the latest patch for XCOM: Enemy Unknown!

A picture can speak a thousand words...

Still waiting for the changelog

Confirmed, I dont see the ones after Marathon though, do you have a mod installed?

EDIT: Confirmed. There are four that are only activated when you finish Impossible:

* Total Loss - Lose all gear from soldiers who die in combat.
    * War Wariness - Overall funding levels drop inexorably with every month that passes.
    * E-115 - Elerium stores will degrade over time.
    * Alternate Sources - The power requirements of all facilities are increased.

And there's one that seems dropped:
    * The Blitz - The aliens will target a larger number of cities every time they launch an abduction attack.

I had ToolBoks installed but it isn't working anymore after the patch, it says the XComGame.upk file has been changed.
    Last edited by Hobbes__; 01-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Now the game also save in the steam cloud

I've been playing multplayer an hour ago (ps3) and there was no patch. Did it just went live? Any changes to MP?

Those are activated on mine. I think you need to win on classic and impossible to see certain options.

Edit:
    Specifically,
    Results Driven through More than Human appear after Classic Win
    Total Loss through Alternate Sources appear after Impossible Win
    Last edited by johnnylump; 01-07-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylump View Post
    Those are activated on mine. I think you need to win on impossible to see them.
    I hope not. I am so excited for these, but haven't beaten the game on Impossible.

As someone who already played with damage roulette... be careful if you plan on doing an ironman game with it. If you think that it's bad when a sniper with a 90% crit chance fails wait until you have a rocket deal 1 damage.

Quote Originally Posted by chimeracreator View Post
    As someone who already played with damage roulette... be careful if you plan on doing an ironman game with it. If you think that it's bad when a sniper with a 90% crit chance fails wait until you have a rocket deal 1 damage.
    Aaaaand that's why I won't use Damage Roulette

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylump View Post
    Those are activated on mine. I think you need to win on classic and impossible to see certain options.
    I have won on Classic but not on Impossible. Can anyone else who has finished Impossible confirm this?

I'm playing a game at the moment... I think there might be some graphic changes also.

*crosses fingers for an xbox update in the morning*

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes__ View Post
    But do they all actually work??

The mod that activated these a few months ago suggests that many of these options are buggy if not broken. See below link for further status of each option; use at your own risk, and use very cautiously (if at all) with Ironman mode....

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/7

Also gameplay is likely not balanced with some of these options enabled...

Nevertheless, I have been quite enjoying Not Created Equally, Absolutely Critical & The Greater Good for some time. Stay clear of Red Fog (bugged)

I feel it will take me a loooong time to finish this game on normal, nevermind trying the harder difficulties.

*sigh*

15. Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post

The mod that activated these a few months ago suggests that many of these options are buggy if not broken. See below link for further status of each option; use at your own risk, and use very cautiously (if at all) with Ironman mode....

Nevertheless, I have been quite enjoying Not Created Equally, Absolutely Critical & The Greater Good for some time. Stay clear of Red Fog (bugged)
    DON'T write stupid things IF you don't understand what you write.
    All options Second Wave don't simply turn on by developers. They are reworked these options.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post

The mod that activated these a few months ago suggests that many of these options are buggy if not broken.
    Hence them not being available on release - presumably they worked on them and ironed-out the kinks before releasing this patch.

17. Quote Originally Posted by LemuelG View Post
    Hence them not being available on release - presumably they worked on them and ironed-out the kinks before releasing this patch.
    YES! It is! This is obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post

What modders turned on may not be comparable to what the full finalized options are now they have been released. So I would refrain from telling people to stay away from anything as it is "bugged" until everyone has had some time to try these options first to see if they are or not. At the moment it's not constructive and may be adding unjustified misinformation.

I own an m11x with alienfx.(for those of you who don't know that means I can change the color of all of my backlit portions on the laptop. Also, say what you want about alienware, but I'm happy with it.) A new feature with this patch is an override of the alienfx during tactical. I currently have my fx set to white by default, but during my soliders turn everthing turns a cool blue to turquoise gradient (like the xcom logo) and on the aliens turn everything goes "alien activity" red.

Silly, but cool. thanks firaxis, for making me feel warm inside.

Not created equally seems to be overpowered in some respects. I started a new game and I had a soldier with 70 aim and 40 defense. The defense is what shocked me. This guy can stand out in the open and it will be like he's in full cover. It looks like will, aim, defense and movement are the stats that get randomized. I did not see any changes in HP. Is this correct?

These are the values on the DefaultGameCore.ini file (the file was changed with the new patch):

LOW_AIM=55
    HIGH_AIM=75
    LOW_MOBILITY=11
    HIGH_MOBILITY=13
    LOW_WILL=25
    HIGH_WILL=60

ROOKIE_AIM=65
    ROOKIE_MOBILITY=12
    ROOKIE_STARTING_WILL=40

First values should be the variation range you get for Second Wave, the second set for regular game.

Some post patch remarks: Non active patrols are sneakier now and bombing an inactive group will leave one unscathed. Bombing an inactive, but visible patrol group has left one enemy unhurt the last two times I've tried bombing [seen but inactive patrols] since the recent patch...I think this a welcome change.

And in the last map I had played, an in active group of Sectoids had snuck within a few tiles of my soldiers without making a sound...which is fine as long as they don't spawn glitch anymore imho.

And the Second Wave options that promote keeping your squad on their toes--red fog, absolutely critical, total loss--are welcome additions.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmanic View Post
    Some post patch remarks: Non active patrols are sneakier now and bombing an inactive group will leave one unscathed. Bombing an inactive, but visible patrol group has left one enemy unhurt the last two times I've tried bombing [seen but inactive patrols] since the recent patch...I think this a welcome change.
    I've only tried the new patch using a new saved mission but the teleport looks the same to me on the video I made of the mission.

Watch the Sectopod that the Battle Scanner detects at 1:27 and how it teleports across the map... I like the teleporting when it's a surprise but those red alien markers reveal the inactive group's position. Unless the patch only affects new games.

Caught this quite from rockpapershotgun

Jake Solomon: Modders are amazing. They say water will find a crack – modders will find anything. Anything you foolishly put in there four years ago or whatever… But yeah, the Second Wave, they unlocked it and actually that was really helpful.
    Hopefully they've (Jake and co.) started to realise the importance of a modding community.

Is Total Loss even in the game? Jake talked about it in the pcgamer interview... but I don't see an option for it in the screenshot in the OP.

Might be one of the ones unlocked by Impossible.

Havent been able to get the patch as of yet. Can someone confirm if "not created equally" can affect defense? or is it just random aim, mobility, and will?

This looks like a great patch. Thank you Firaxis

Only a few bugs fixed, but a new feature added. Sounds like a good deal.

I can attest that Squaddies Will and Aim are all different now starting up two new games on Classic. The first mission seems to be harder (at least to me). I checked the old game I had and those are the same as they were - 40 Will, 65 Aim, but in the new games, Will goes down to 25 lowest and Aim is all different like 55 - 71 or like so far. Now you have to look at all the Squaddies to see which ones have Higher Will and at least some Aim, like 55 Will vs. 37 Will, and Aim 55 for some and 60 for others and it varies now. Probably have to hire more Squaddies to see what their Stats will be when hired. Click on all Second Wave Options so far, so will see how the game goes now, or I may not be good enough yet to use Second Wave Options. Might have to start a game on Normal even and see how that goes first.

Quote Originally Posted by guciomir View Post
    Only a few bugs fixed, but a new feature added. Sounds like a good deal.
    Then again, those were the two biggest bugs known to us. They were also quite game breaking.

Everything else, minor or extremely rare.

But yeah, a whole new feature + Fixing two game breaker bugs? I take that deal.

According to UFOpaedia.org XCOM News column

The patch also introduces fixes to the teleport bug and adds a new XCOM Hero.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

In details ...

2013-01-07 patch includes

Second Wave addition
    If a player has beaten the game, they can access a variety of gameplay toggles upon starting a new game. The Second Wave option will be available on the New Game menu.
    AI teleport bug fix
    Minimizes the bug where aliens teleport into the middle of a player’s squad
    Defeat screen when beating the game
    Minimizes a bug that displays a Defeat screen after winning the game
    PC Only
    Chris Kluwe as XCOM Hero unlock

Quote Originally Posted by Sungsam View Post
    According to UFOpaedia.org XCOM News column

The patch also introduces fixes to the teleport bug and adds a new XCOM Hero.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
    January 7th, 2012? Wow, these guys have figured out time travel!

January 7th, 2012
    Second Wave options now available on XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The latest patch released today by Firaxis now activates the Second Wave options and makes it available for the game. Despite it being already included but inactive (and playable through mods) the developers had stated that they didn't had time to complete Second Wave before XCOM: Enemy Unknown but it was on their intentions to finish it. It now includes the following options as part of Advanced Gameplay: Damage Roulette, New Economy, Not Created Equally, Hidden Potential, Red Fog, Absolutely Critical, The Greater Good, Marathon, Results Driven, High Stakes, Diminishing Returns, More Than Human, Total Loss, War Wariness, E-115 and Alternate Sources. The patch also introduces fixes to the teleport bug and adds a new XCOM Hero.

Wow, I didn't play xcom past couple of weeks, guess I was inspired to check the forums. Very welcome changes, can't wait to get home from work and play some!
    I'm really glad they did this. A great patch.

35. Quote Originally Posted by Mandemon View Post
    January 7th, 2012? Wow, these guys have figured out time travel!
    I'm already fix it in XCOM Wiki.

This is great news, can't wait to get home from work to start a new game.

One quick question which, I doubt anybody will know the answer to yet; does the Red Fog marathon option affect aliens too, or just your soldiers? I'd really like it if wounding an alien to decrease their effectiveness was a tactical option now. I think it would open up a few new strategies for dealing with larger groups of enemies.

DAMN YOU FIRAXIS!

I had set today as the day I wouldn't play any more XCOM and get back to revision...

HOW DARE YOU!

But in all seriousness, thankyou very much

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes__ View Post

Yes, a very nice picture and it does speak thousand words but..... Can anyone post the description belonging to all the different second wave options? I just can't handle all those hours at work without knowing....

Second Wave options, how to get them and what they do:

The Second Wave: The first four are available right after installing it for the first time:
    Damage Roulette - Weapons have a much wider range of damage.
    New Economy - Randomizes monthly $ from countries
    Not Created Equally - A rookie's stats will vary
    Hidden Potential - Rookies will have random starting stats.

The following ones are activated once the game is won on Normal, Classic or Impossible:
    Red Fog - Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.
    Absolutely Critical - A flanking shot will guarantee a critical hit.
    The Greater Good - The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.
    Marathon - The game takes considerably longer to complete.
    Results Driven - As a soldier is promoted, their stats will increase randomly.
    High Stakes - The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized.
    Diminishing Returns - The cost of satellites increases with every one that is built.
    More Than Human - The psionic gift is extremely rare.

The last four options are only available after winning on Impossible:
    Total Loss - Lose all gear from soldiers who die in combat.
    War Wariness - Overall funding levels drop inexorably with every month that passes.
    E-115 - Elerium stores will degrade over time.
    Alternate Sources - The power requirements of all facilities are increased.

To play the new game almost like the old game, except with NG's tactical combat, turn on New Economy, Not Created Equally, Hidden Potential, The Greater Good and Results Driven. This is AFAIK closest you can get to OG.
    Last edited by Mandemon; 01-08-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Psionic characters are rare enough as it is, so I can only imagine how hard it is to get one if you have more than human on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast