Thread: Jon Shafer at the gate?

Jon Shafer at the gate?

guys, I thought this man would be written off in the history of strategic games. My first impression when he left firaxi was he ruined the CiV. if the rumor be told, shafer leave because of opposing and irreconcilable differences with firaxi team on how CiV would looks like. Jon wanted bit more realistic civ but anyway He comes back with new strategic game called at the gate which for my own opinion, might challenge the very existence of Sid civ. personally, so far I like all his idea he incorporated in the game. the only obvious problem though is the budget, the game seems like a new version of CivII.

How I wish, he adopted those whether changing map, time depleting resources and strategic planning and supplyline for the army, into the CiV before he leave.

What do you think guys, does Sid now facing a credible competitor?
    Last edited by Aratawata; 02-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Civ is a board game, not an RTS or hybrid. Civ has lots of competitors like Europa Unveralis.

Pretty much everything in this post is incorrect. He didn't even come close to "ruining Civ" (as if he could shanghai Firaxis and do whatever he wanted without oversight). Everything I read says that he left because his job was done and he wanted to move onto new projects at Stardock.

I think competition would be great. If someone could make a better Civ I'd buy it. I don't think it would be the end of the Sid version of Civ just because someone makes an alternate version.

As far as the improving Civ attempt by Shafer, I think he succeeded in some areas (1UPT, CS) but failed in others (play to win, diplomacy).

I just saw the demo and it looks great, to be honest I'd prefer the basic visuals coupled with more challenging elements like changing weather and army morale. Not agreeing that Civ 5 is bad, I've had fun with it but it never really challenged me like the previous titles did

I think having the basic 2D visuals is a great idea for several reasons.

1) Saves Dev time and money to focus on what counts: Gameplay.

2) Enables modders to make assets that are on par with the assets in the base game.

I'll probably kickstart this at some point.

Where can I find out more about this game?

Quote Originally Posted by sectoid View Post
    Where can I find out more about this game?
    By Googling it

Interesting article. I like the changing environment idea. It could be pretty good.

I thought of an idea that may make benefit the late game as well. How about in the early game you can't use resources in tundra and desert or at least at a very reduced rate. Additionally, you can't put cities on those tiles. Later game techs that allow you to use tundra and desert resources and others would allow you to found cities there. This would lead to a second phase of expansion which is always the most fun part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by stethnorun View Post
    By Googling it
    Thanks a billion steth, you think I didn't try it first? All i got was irrelevant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sectoid View Post
    Thanks a billion steth, you think I didn't try it first? All i got was irrelevant stuff.
    Sectoid, he's trying to get the funding together first, but the game looks interesting in a retro-stylee.
    Last edited by SamBC; 02-08-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Removed kickstarter link; it's considered promotional

Ok, thanks T

Jon went from Firaxis -> Stardock -> 3-man kickstarter (of which 1 has experience making games). Some might enjoy the rehashed 90s theme, but I really don't see this game as an alternative to anything that has already been made. I'm sure the project will be funded, I just wish the project would have been a lot more ambitious with a larger/better team.

From CivFanatics:

Quote Originally Posted by Fabiano79 View Post
    At the Gates interview with Civilization V designer Jon Shafer

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/06/at...gner-of-civ-v/

Really liked this: The focus with warfare in At the Gates is supply. Every tile has a supply rating which is based on the type of terrain and whether or not itís within supply range of one of your settlements or supply camps. Timing when your invasions take place is critical, and success usually comes down to holding out or cutting off the enemyís supply, rather than building a front line

"At the Gates" will be available probably on Steam in January, 2014. You can watch a prototype video here:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/138809/jo...s-at-the-gates

If you want to financially support the game, you can contribute on Kickstarter (LINK REMOVED)

It looks like a great game and a worthy successor to Civ V. I'm noting it in my Outlook Calendar to buy in Jan, 2014.
    Last edited by SamBC; 02-08-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Reviews and news and vids are okay, kickstarters not so much