Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XCOM EW - what could it be?

Cool XCOM EW - what could it be?

Designer Jack Solomon told Polygon in January that Firaxis is working on something "really awesome" for XCOM EU.
    (see also our December addon poll - what do YOU want to find out what players want)

Now the XCOM devs made some invisible entries in the Steam database.
    The website Steam Apps Database makes them visible:
    Following the former "XCOM EU" entries, there are now new entries for "XCOM EW".
    So what could "EW" mean? Perhaps "Extended War", "Extraterrestrial War" or "End of the World"?
    Last edited by ColdFever; 02-19-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Early Warning
    Electronic Warfare
    Endless War
    Ethereal World
    but hopefully not
    Enforcer Wonderland

Enemy Within!

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFever View Post
    Designer Jack Solomon told Polygon in January that Firaxis is working on some "really awesome" DLC/addon for XCOM EU.
    (see also our December addon poll - what do YOU want to find out what players want)
    Its VERY simple what most players want.. you don't need a poll for that. Bug fixes being the first, and larger maps/redone geoscape being next.

As far as EW ? Extended Walrus. As a follow on to the "awesome" Slingshot DLC, they are releasing 2 story based missions around a female soldier, that continues the games disappointing linearity and scripted geoscape. Extended Walrus, of course, being in reference to fattening up the already porky parts of the game. As an added bonus, the voice actor from Anna Sing has been hired to add non-skippable whinings to the new soldier, which will "add immersion", in the words of the development team.

Would XCOM EW be a DLC? Was Slingshot called XCOM S?

I would hate to think that the Devs are totally stuck on doing another story DLC. I hope that them delaying it means that they if they are stuck doing it then they are at least adding to it a lot of what we've asked for at the same time.

EDIT: What the heck was XCOM Progeny? I thought that was the next DLC. Maybe it is and this EW is a total game re-vamp.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardoabreu View Post
    Enemy Within!
    It's a cool possibility. It would make sense, since after all most of the game end is about the use of psionic powers (the gift). Maybe there's a rebel XCOM faction now, lead by a rogue soldier with the gift.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBurns View Post
    EDIT: What the heck was XCOM Progeny? I thought that was the next DLC. Maybe it is and this EW is a total game re-vamp.
    Progeny was the next DLC, the one cancelled after Slingshot. This EW... Second Wave? Or maybe it's the new stuff they have been working on.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardoabreu View Post
    Enemy Within!
    Was my first thought as well.

X-COM: Explosive Wagons !

Extended Wait (for patches)

X-Com: Every Weapon

~Ever wonder what fighting alien's would have been like in 1812? How about 2400bc? Now you can! In this exciting expansion we give the player every weapon type in the world to play with. Yes you can now attack sectoids with blunderbusses, a Spanish Falcata, or a modern assault rife. Gone are the days an elite military force being equipped with only a handful of weapons ...Now you can have them all!

Exclamation

Would XCOM EW be a DLC? Was Slingshot called XCOM S?
    Thanks LeBurns, your argument gave me reason to dig deeper:

First, comparing the XCOM Depot with the Civ5 Depot, I notice that XCOM EW has an entry for "XCOM EW BaseContent". BaseContent usually is NOT DLC, it is a game on its own.

Second, looking into XCOM Section History, there is a new entry, only 5 hours old:
    CheckGuid: XComGame.exe > XComEW.exe

XComGame.exe is the binary we know from our XCOM EU installation.
    For XCOM EW there seems to be an extra binary XComEW.exe, so again:

XCOM EW will probably be NOT JUST DLC but a NEW (STANDALONE?) XCOM GAME!

Designer Jack Solomon told Polygon in January that Firaxis is working on some "really awesome" DLC/addon for XCOM EU.

Now the XCOM devs made some invisible entries in the Steam database.
    The website Steam Apps Database makes them visible:
    Following the former "XCOM EU" entries, there are now new entries for "XCOM EW".
    So what could "EW" mean? Perhaps "Extended War", "Extraterrestrial War" or "End of the World"?
    It can be anything, as long as it doesn't make us think: 'Xcom: Ewwwww'.

New game this fast? naw..figure they will be doing an expansion that needs the original game to run. Maybe a continuation of the story after you get done doing what you need to do at the end. Still ...cant wait

Yeah, I'm betting on an expansion. Possibly a standalone one, but an expansion all the same. Hopefully something like what Gods and Kings was to Civ V.

If it expands the strategic layer of the game, I'll be opening my wallet yet again because that was my big complaint about this game. The tactical game is amazing, but the strategic portion is less deep than the original - it feels less like aliens have their own goals, and more like the aliens are simply compelled to spawn UFOs and abductions by a random number generator.

In the original, the gameplay was emergent in that the aliens had goals that they would try to achieve, rather than doing abductions every month like clockwork.

Under the hood it was all really simple (aliens have a goal of X points, every mission type completed successfully gives y points or something like that), but to the player it really felt like matching wits with an alien commander since the aliens wouldn't usually do the same thing twice.

Also, the aliens had more mission types they could do.

Mhhh.. pretty excited to find out what is this all about.

We can bet that with the success the game get, we will have some very interesting stuff in future for that license.

Thanks LeBurns, your argument gave me reason to dig deeper:

First, comparing the XCOM Depot with the Civ5 Depot, I notice that XCOM EW has an entry for "XCOM EW BaseContent". BaseContent usually is NOT DLC, it is a game on its own.

Second, looking into XCOM Section History, there is a new entry, only 5 hours old:
    CheckGuid: XComGame.exe > XComEW.exe

XComGame.exe is the binary we know from our XCOM EU installation.
    For XCOM EW there seems to be an extra binary XComEW.exe, so again:

Well I still hope it's a re-vamp of the existing game. This is the first game in this new XCOM series, so maybe they took the time to look back at our feedback (that we so graciously provided) and made the changes requested and needed to make this into an A-1 game. Maybe they did that. Maybe. ... Ok, I'll go back to my corner now ...

EDIT: I wonder if it could be a whole new MP feature being added.

Actually, I am tweeting Jake about it

Extended Warfare is my first thought, but maybe it's Enemy Wellknown?

ZING!!!

This is very exciting. Consider:

1. We know from interviews and other official sources that XCOM was designed, scrapped, and rebuilt at least twice.
    2. We also know that due to time constraints many features were dropped close to release because they ran out of time.
    3. XCOM initial release has been successful beyond 2K's initial expectations in both sales and critical reception.

So they have a lot of unused content and likely a lot of new resources authorized by 2K to capitalize on the success of the game.

I believe that they are now going back to those features, repackaging them, debugging, and putting them together in an expansion.

This would explain radio silence on patches at this point. Although they could easily give us updates on normal patches, they cannot talk about a huge expansion even if part of it is major patches for the existing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckwit View Post
    Extended Wait (for patches)
    You just won the forums

On topic, I think (while exciting) this is way way too much speculation over a word in a directory... Even if it did end up being an expansion, it likely wouldn't be ready before next year. Not much point getting hyped before they have something to show us

XCOM - Enemy Walking

No more teleporting!

let's hope this is a great expansion like they do with Civ

Well I still hope it's a re-vamp of the existing game. This is the first game in this new XCOM series, so maybe they took the time to look back at our feedback (that we so graciously provided) and made the changes requested and needed to make this into an A-1 game. Maybe they did that. Maybe. ... Ok, I'll go back to my corner now ...

EDIT: I wonder if it could be a whole new MP feature being added.
    Ugh, I hope not! That would be a massive disappointment.

My money's on XCOM Extremely Wet!

Terror from the Deep lives!

XCOM: Everybody's Wigging-out

So much speculation over a tiny piece of coding :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterminator View Post
    I think (while exciting) this is way way too much speculation over a word in a directory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    So much speculation over a tiny piece of coding :P
    With Civ5 we learned that the Steam Database is pretty reliable. In Januay we found that the next Civ5 expansion should be "One World", according to the Steam Apps Database. The big Civ stuff usually is released in June, so we are awaiting an announcement soon. Then we will see how precise these predictions are...

So many possibilities, either way I can't wait! I was about to have a break from it all but now I am thinking I might start a new game to get me by until this comes out!

Enemy Within sounds pretty cool, all the PSI abilities suddenly become a liability.

My thoughts went straight to 'End War' or 'End World' but who knows EW could just be code for anything.

I really wonder what this could be. I am really hoping for an expansion later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by katscan View Post
    Its VERY simple what most players want.. you don't need a poll for that. Bug fixes being the first, and larger maps/redone geoscape being next.

As far as EW ? Extended Walrus. As a follow on to the "awesome" Slingshot DLC, they are releasing 2 story based missions around a female soldier, that continues the games disappointing linearity and scripted geoscape. Extended Walrus, of course, being in reference to fattening up the already porky parts of the game. As an added bonus, the voice actor from Anna Sing has been hired to add non-skippable whinings to the new soldier, which will "add immersion", in the words of the development team.
    Your rant there would have a point, if it wasn't for the fact Jake Solomon has repeated in numerous interviews that they didn't think Slingshot was the way to go forward with future DLC and they had heard what players were asking for (and the generally negative feedback on Slingshot). I mean Jake pretty much came right out and said what they needed was more maps, alien types, weapons and options. He also hinted in several interviews that making the geoscape portion of the game deeper (in allowing more paths to winning) would be something they would want to look into.

So really, there is more than enough room for criticism but pointless negativity that doesn't even take into account what the developers have actually said gets you nowhere.

Jake flatout stated that game needs more maps, aliens and research, as well as gameplay options. He also flatout told that second Slingshot DLC had been canceled exactly because it was not what fans wanted.

Very well put Aegeri, Jake did make it pretty clear that they got Slingshot wrong. Nothing wrong with what they made, it just wasn't what the players wanted.

BUT if the squish some bugs and sort us maps WITH an extra story... Sure, I'll pay for that.

I read XCom EW as the green stuff on the ground.

Experimental Warfare?

I don't use the Twitters and the Facebooks, but from what I hear from those that follow the devs, it sounds like they have a decent grasp on what players are looking for, and that makes me happy. I've stated before that XCOM has an amazing skeleton. Creating a much more immersive environment (on the strategic layer first and foremost) would put XCOM right up there in the 'best TBS I've played ever of all time' running.

As it stands it's 'the best TBS I've played since I've been old enough to legally drink', but unfortunately that still leaves a lot to be desired. I think that if they dedicate the necessary resources to eliminating bugs and adding elements that diehard fans have suggested, they will get it right.

You guys have it wrong. Obviously EW stands for Entertainment Weekly. It's a cross-promotion that lets you get all of your entertainment news in a convenient turn-based strategic package!

And everyone knows that it's XCOM: Elijah Wood. Where the beloved star of LOTR and Wilfred assumes the role of the sweater vest wearing Central Officer Bradford.

Maybe it's a typo...

Maybe..just maybe..they don't have any ideas so they upload a dummy file with strange letters in it so that we the players will come up with ideas for them.

If this is the case, I hope it's Elijah Wood. Big fan of Wilfred.

Xcom: Expecting Whining (on the forums because the new aliens will kick your ass).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast