Thread: Supply Barge Phobia

Supply Barge Phobia

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in strategy, but the Aliens have been playing with my mind....

My last three Classic/Ironman runs have resulted in rage quits and i am developing a severe phobia about late-game Supply Barge and Battleship encounters. My one and only victory at this level is now a distant memory...and i am beginning to wonder if it ever really happened

The last room on a Battleship somehow cost me four Major/Colonel plasma wielding invincibles... carefully nurtured through nail-biting terror missions and Bomb Disposal runs. In the next two games i was gloating at the Strategy level but so many key troopers were left scattered in pieces across Supply Barges that i was left thinking victory was impossible.

I am sure my decision making is now compromised.. my finger trembles over the button of 85% chances and Panic is affecting me more than my troops.

I am tempted to skip Supply barge assaults, but that is pretty much all i get when first looking to train Psi-Troops... maybe i should leave whole regions unprotected, or just let a few go late game when i've researched/built most stuff and am swimming in cash in the hope of tempting the Aliens to try more abductions.

Or maybe i should just stop playing.......

2. Leave a country without satellite coverage if you want to continue farming Abduction Missions.

I'd give a lot to have XCOM make me pause in fear

Just skip those missions and wait for easier ufos. Nothing bad happens as long as you shot down ufo.

Barges can suck ass, especially when the drop zone is at the side of the barge (which is most of the time) so enemies can easily patrol onto you from different directions at once. I find it easiest to assault the things by hitting the bridge first and advancing backwards from there. It can still be difficult since cover options really suck on those things, so concentrating fire without leaving your guys exposed takes caution and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by rmuzz View Post
    Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in strategy, but the Aliens have been playing with my mind....

My last three Classic/Ironman runs have resulted in rage quits and i am developing a severe phobia about late-game Supply Barge and Battleship encounters. My one and only victory at this level is now a distant memory...and i am beginning to wonder if it ever really happened

The last room on a Battleship somehow cost me four Major/Colonel plasma wielding invincibles... carefully nurtured through nail-biting terror missions and Bomb Disposal runs. In the next two games i was gloating at the Strategy level but so many key troopers were left scattered in pieces across Supply Barges that i was left thinking victory was impossible.

I am sure my decision making is now compromised.. my finger trembles over the button of 85% chances and Panic is affecting me more than my troops.

I am tempted to skip Supply barge assaults, but that is pretty much all i get when first looking to train Psi-Troops... maybe i should leave whole regions unprotected, or just let a few go late game when i've researched/built most stuff and am swimming in cash in the hope of tempting the Aliens to try more abductions.

Or maybe i should just stop playing.......
    Supply barges often make me nervous too. I've experienced more disaster with them than any other type of mission. Though it's been a while since i've lost more than 1 or 2 soldiers on them. As for battleships, i don't even bother with them anymore. It's been at least 2 or 3 playthroughs since i've seen a battleship cause i rarely ignore UFO's. It's not worth the risk, imo. I haven't needed the blaster launcher in a long time. Heck, i don't think i ever really needed it in order to win a game. Same thing goes for fusion lance.

Oh... OK... just one more go then.............

I had to try and take out a supply barge with a full compliment of basic squaddies with laser rifles. Every time I saw a heavy floater I cried.

Supply barges are tough, but there are things you can do to increase the odds of success. I always avoid going in through the main entrance (near where you start), and also avoid going through the side doors because outsiders tend to be near those doors. If you kill the outsiders, then the rest of the aliens go mental and swarm you, which will generally overwhelm you. You could try climbing on top of the supply ship, and blowing a hole in the roof with a grenade, and then taking pot shots downwards with all of your troops gathered around the hole in the roof. This can thin out the number of aliens in the ship, before you make your main assault.

Alternatively, don't blow a hole in the roof but still climb on top of the barge. Then, make your way to the centre of the ship and climb down from there. You then have the option of attacking the aliens that are gathered near the main entrance, or going forward towards the front of the ship. Either way, take it slow and let the aliens come to you. The good thing about the supply barges, is that they tend to be loaded with equipment and stuff that you can use to build weapons, or sell for extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by manageri View Post
    I find it easiest to assault the things by hitting the bridge first and advancing backwards from there. It can still be difficult since cover options really suck on those things, so concentrating fire without leaving your guys exposed takes caution and patience.
    The problem is not the bridge but the UFO's command crew. Once you stumble upon them and kill them all of the other aliens will ahead towards you. This can be either a really bad problem or an opportunity. On my last Supply Barge the command crew was the first alien pack in the cargo area and once I killed them I had 2 Cyberdisks, 2 Mutons, Floaters and what else suddenly all coming through the large door. But I had a Heavy and her Rocket and a Sniper with ITZ in place to deal with them.

Depending on where you spawn makes a big difference.

But those barrages do have a lot of tasty resources.

It's hard to be patient with supply barges because they take so long to finish and sometimes even with perfect pacing you can still get ambushed.

I had a wall fall away during the alien turn immediately exposing two guys to two Elite Mutons. Needless to say they got pounded and one died. I had just used a rocket in that area in the previous turn so I should have been more careful but I was definitely pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes__ View Post
    The problem is not the bridge but the UFO's command crew. Once you stumble upon them and kill them all of the other aliens will ahead towards you. This can be either a really bad problem or an opportunity. On my last Supply Barge the command crew was the first alien pack in the cargo area and once I killed them I had 2 Cyberdisks, 2 Mutons, Floaters and what else suddenly all coming through the large door. But I had a Heavy and her Rocket and a Sniper with ITZ in place to deal with them.
    I noticed something like that a few times but I wasn't sure it wasn't just random patrolling. If they all charge every time after murdering the leaders then that does complicate things, I'll have to re-evaluate going there first. I mean you can just not open the doors to the bridge but if you're fighting outside the thing there's an excellent chance something will blow up a wall and force you to detect the aliens in there. Then again sitting in position while stuff charges you could totally be easier to deal with than hunting them, at least with your ground team in ghost armor and your snipers hovering somewhere safe.

force a bottle neck or get on the roof and hold the high ground. Drop an assault down a ladder every once in a while if nothing comes for you - just to draw them in.

If you get a bottle neck - focus your fire on the hover tanks since they explode when they die - you can usually spam some other enemies' health this way letting you clean up with a single rocket. I believe my record is 9 kills with one shredder rocket.

I never worry about damage to the ship - since there are so many resources to harvest and the cost of losing a Col. is so much worse than some alien food...I'd say at least two heavies (4 rockets) is a must.

A sniper with double tap and squad sight can really clean out the haul if you get a bottle neck there too, but I'd still want my heavies.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Van Tanoid View Post
    If you kill the outsiders, then the rest of the aliens go mental and swarm you, which will generally overwhelm you.
    Wish I had read this BEFORE last night. This is exactly what happened. Early barge mission. Kill two sectoids on the bridge. Then the next thing I see is the outsider in the cargo area. Swack him, and all hell breaks loose. Mutons, and THREE cyber discs all out of nowhere. I couldn't shoot them all and ended up loosing my sniper. Well, had he hit his shot, I would have survived with no losses. But he missed the cyber disc and was flanked and that was that. At least now it all makes sense though.

I dislike abductors the most, because of the rarity of full cover, especially depending on the map. Usually I will have to move along the outside.

The only thing I hate about supply barges are the missions which put the command crew out in the open.

Then you may get a bum rush, which could be up to 7 packs on a landed Barge.

My worst experience was entering a supply barge and then have the enemy teleport all over my location. I lost my best Heavy and Assault in a fighting retreat back to the SkyRanger. The rest were wounded but thankfully had a SHIV that kept a few aliens busy enough for the team to get out.

I noticed something like that a few times but I wasn't sure it wasn't just random patrolling. If they all charge every time after murdering the leaders then that does complicate things, I'll have to re-evaluate going there first. I mean you can just not open the doors to the bridge but if you're fighting outside the thing there's an excellent chance something will blow up a wall and force you to detect the aliens in there. Then again sitting in position while stuff charges you could totally be easier to deal with than hunting them, at least with your ground team in ghost armor and your snipers hovering somewhere safe.
    Actually, wiping out the command crew on the Supply Barge bridge may actually be better than bumping into them at the main entrance of the UFO, which was the situation I described. If you can kill the command crew and secure the area between the bridge and the cargo holds then you can hold off an alien swarm much better than on the main entrance.

My problem was they blew the living crap out of the walls, ruining all the cover. It just became a shootout in the open by default. And I mean a one turn shootout. It was showdown at the OK Corral.

A supply barge was actually the only missions i had to retreat from in my current playtrough. I got like 4-5 groups of aliens activated reinforcements coming , activated at the same time during alien turn. Tried to retreat a bit and attack from side , but the sectopod (out of los) bombed the wall and aleins started shooting my exposed soliders, had to run with 4 remaining soliders. It actually was fun to be forced to retreat for once.

Funny thing i had a chance for revenge 3 missions later, was fun cause it was do or die, i needed the supplies to keep going.What i did was not enter the center corridor but went left side and cleared the map there, with single spawns across the way. I had a moment of panic as again i got at one point like 4 activated aliens reinforcements, but as i had already cleared like 3 groups , had enough of room to maneuvre and won without casualtires , tough with wounds.

It turns out on impossible ironman early late game you get 24 aliens on supply barge, with a high probability of rush reinforcements...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes__ View Post
    Actually, wiping out the command crew on the Supply Barge bridge may actually be better than bumping into them at the main entrance of the UFO, which was the situation I described. If you can kill the command crew and secure the area between the bridge and the cargo holds then you can hold off an alien swarm much better than on the main entrance.
    Heh heh. I hate the Supply Barges, but I agree with this. No matter where I am, I always circle around the perimeter along the forested area (better cover, I find) until I get to the Command / Bridge.

Holding that and sweeping through the ship from there is what I've found to be far easier. Assaulting through the main entrance means you have to deal with aliens being above you or having to rush the pads.

Supply barges are a pain and I say that if you shot it down unless you REALLY need it don't assault.

Example: Playing OG, the last 20 UFOs I assaulted had their elerium explode. I was down to 5 elerium and a base gave me none so I had to ground my avenger and firestorm and switch to skyranger. In desperation I did a night landed UFO supply barge in Jungle terrain.

If that scenario doesn't pop up I say just ignore crashed ones

Also in 3 playthroughs never assaulted a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Exterrestrial_killer View Post
    Also in 3 playthroughs never assaulted a battleship.
    I've completed the game I believe four times, including once on I/I, but had never shot down a battleship till today so I had no idea what to expect terrain-wise (knew it'll propably be tough via hyperwave relay intel though). Well it turns out the map was horrible and I lost two guys on first contact when I pulled three groups and both my snipers were useless due to the horrible terrain. Never assaulting those ☺☺☺☺ing things again without some mind controllers. Actually I think I'll just never assault them again at all, seeing as how it's completely unnecessary to win the game (especially with the last mission being a total joke).

I've completed the game I believe four times, including once on I/I, but had never shot down a battleship till today so I had no idea what to expect terrain-wise (knew it'll propably be tough via hyperwave relay intel though). Well it turns out the map was horrible and I lost two guys on first contact when I pulled three groups and both my snipers were useless due to the horrible terrain. Never assaulting those ☺☺☺☺ing things again without some mind controllers. Actually I think I'll just never assault them again at all, seeing as how it's completely unnecessary to win the game (especially with the last mission being a total joke).
    The blaster launcher comes in handy tough imho and you can only get it from battlehip.Yea battleship is anti-sniper,but , knowing more or less the map , I mange to do it most of times without any fatalities , tough many soliders usually land in hospital.